Why can't I sleep at night?

Stacey Kiger, LPC

My belief is that therapy is not about giving advice, but joining you on your journey

softwallflower
Maybe you're not tired enough. Make sure you did some sport or just moved during the day. If you move a lot, you'll sleep better because you are more tired.
TeenWolf
Well there may just be a many of answers to this question maybe you have stress on your mind or maybe something is troubling you?
TealCat
You may be an Insomniac, though that depends on how bad your issue is. It also depends on your sleeping habits and schedules. Try setting an average time to go to sleep and wake up. Also, avoid electronics an hour before bed.
Vaux
You might have a lot of things on your mind, things that you may be subconsciously thinking of but are not aware of.
SarahLove
There are a variety of reasons that you could be awake at night. You could have a sleeping disorder, anxiety, or you could simply be thinking about too much to have the ability to sleep. Observe for yourself and you might find the answer through just that.
Anonymous
Whenever I can't sleep at night it's normally because I've got something on my mind, I'm thinking too much or I'm worried. What I do to help this is, I get my notebook and I write down all the things I'm thinking about at the time and all the things worrying me. I then write why they are worrying me and then I go on to write why they shouldn't worry me. I like to get a hot drink (normally tea) and listen to the sound of rain from youtube videos. I hope this helps. :)
StormyAngles18 - Expert in Sleeping Well
There are many reasons why you cant sleep at night such as: sleeping conditions, stress, anxiety or depression. It could be that the temp is not right in the room for you to sleep comfortably. You can try drinking water, herb tea, or melatonin vitamins to see if it helps you sleep better. (Console your doctor first before trying any vitamins or medication)
enigmaticWillow68
There could me many many reasons to not being able to sleep at night thinking to much, isomnia, and many others
BlackcatDM3
You could have insomnia, ( which is a sleep disorder ) or you could be like me, who has a very hard time falling asleep.
Anonymous
It could be casued by overhinking or being to hot or nervose about something :) You can always try home remedis google it :)
ZafarYounis
I'd recommend exercise to tire you out and/or a warm bath to relax you if you're pumped about something.
rebeccamariexox
There are so many reasons why people can't sleep at night; insomnia your brain won't be quiet, stimuli, your body doesn't feel physically tired. You can try basic things for it like not using electronics before bed or making a routine before you go to bed to train your body to know when to go to sleep.
Anonymous
It all depends on what you're dealing with. Sometimes you have so much on your mind your brain just can't rest. Other times it could be that your internal clock is messed up because you're used to staying up all night. In more extreme cases you could also have a sleep disorder.
Anonymous
Ideally, your bedroom shouldn’t have any lights on, especially light emitted from a TV or any electronic device. When your eyes are exposed to light during the night, your brain is tricked into thinking it’s time to wake up and reduces the production of melatonin, a hormone released by your pineal gland that causes sleepiness and lowers body temperature. Light emitted by electronic devices is especially troublesome because it mimics sunlight.
Anonymous
Sometimes I can't sleep at night because I have something big happening tomorrow that I'm scared or worried about. All the bad thoughts make my heart race and my adreneline run, making it impossible to sleep!
Helpyouhi
Maybe there's a problem which is making you over think about it. Or because you changed the place you usually used to sleep in. Or maybe because of too much cafiene like tea and coffee. Or maybe because you use your mobile before you go to sleep.
Anonymous
Maybe you have too much on your mind. It's always good to go to bed with a clear mind. It helps you sleep better and longer
omica
There are a few reasons for that most likely. One, stop trying to sleep. Focusing on sleep brings up your stress, making it harder. Two, maybe you are just awake. Try finding something else to do first, maybe read a book, or watch YouTube.
Anonymous
Sometimes It's hard for me to sleep due to my anxiety. However, I go on websites like this or talk to my friends to help me out.
HopieRemi
There can be many reasons why you can't sleep at night. For myself when I can't sleep at night it is because there is too much activity going on in my brain. For others, they are tired but they still can't sleep. Some people have sleep apnea and some people have insomnia. But I can't exactly say why you can't sleep. I don't know you. Only you know you. and only a doctor can tell you why you can't sleep at night
bubblykat
You must have too many thoughts running around you head. It's hard I know but you will learn ways to block them out.
Gracey
There are many reasons that you might not be able to sleep at night. It might help to have a look at something called 'sleep hygiene' or have a look through the self help guide for sleep :)
Musicl0vr
Thinking about too much is a common problem that can cause restlessness. Try to tame racing thoughts with free meditation apps and videos!
Anonymous
August 3rd, 2016 3:18am
Hmmm do you have a busy mind these days? Perhaps there is a lot going on in your head these days and some counselling/art /or music therapy could help you out
freshFriend18
Don't drink coffee after 2pm. Try to establish a comfortable night time routine to relax you - try meditation and deep breathing to calm down and get rid of unwanted thoughts and feelings
Anonymous
Insomnia is most likely the cause. I really recommend you see a doctor or take none habit forming sleep pills to help you. If it's cause from stress it could be anxiety which meditation and relaxing music or hypnotic bedtime story tellers online can help
Sparklies
There are many reasons why you can't sleep at night. Do you think you may be worrying about something, or is there something on your mind that you can't stop thinking about? There also may be physical reasons why you can't get to sleep, such as caffiene being in your system or the room may have the wrong temperature for you and there may be too much light. It is a question you must ask yourself to identify these things and perhaps come up with a solution. I would also recommend seeing a doctor as lack of sleep can take a toll big time on your physical health and well being.
hopefulRainbows30
I can't sleep because I drank caffeine after 4pm. I can't sleep because I have worries (mostly, misunderstanding with someone I care for) that I didn't resolve sooner. I can't sleep because I am afraid of tomorrow, of the things I need to do tomorrow and secretly wishing that time will will just freeze. I can't sleep because I am cramming a paper or a project. I can't sleep because I hurt somebody and in order to me get a good night's sleep I need to ask for forgiveness.
skylerraber1234
Your brain controls your sleep schedule in a place in the brain called the hypothalamus and when we are stressed or nervous or even excited we can't sleep. This is caused by the hormone production happening in the brain. There is natural medications you can try to sleep such as melatonin 5 or 10 milligrams. This will add the right chemicals in your brain to sleep all through the night. You can try other things before bedtime too, to make you sleepy such as, reading a book, listening to soft slow music, listening to an audiobook and many more things. Put down your phone keep it on silent and make the room dark. Light keeps the brain active even when you need to sleep. Phones have been proven to cause insomnia and shouldn't be near you when trying to sleep. I know you think what if its an emergency?? well there is a sleep option it lets only the important people you choose call you when your resting. If your nervous about a school presentation read it before bed ( 15 ) minutes. Science says by doing this you will remember more information in the morning but don't over study. Over studying leads to forgetfulness because now your tired and flustered. Certain foods can make a difference in your diet to. Eat healthy during the day so you don't nap as much leading you to sleep better at night. Avoid caffeine and chocolate before bed as sleep speeds up the cardio system making you ready for a run and not a sleep. Do something relaxing like taking a hot shower before bed and you will be snoring before you know it.
SilentSerenityy
Not sleeping at night could be due to stress, an irregular sleep cycle, insomnia and a few more things. If it's really causing problems for you, visit your doctor.