Why can't I sleep at night?

Danielle Johnson, MSED, Community mental Health Counseling, LMHC

Sometime situations and feelings can be so strong that we struggle to function. You are not alone! My practice is flexible and open-minded and tailored to your personal needs.

Anonymous
You may not be able to sleep at night if you have a lot on your mind. Whether it's something that happened a week ago, worrying about something that may happen in the future, if its on your mind you won't be able to sleep! To help with this, You should take 15-20 minutes of you day and assign it "Worry time". Use this time to think about your worries, think of solutions, think of why it's making you worry etc. It is very effective! If you are struggling throughout the day to stop worrying, try writing your worry down and referring back to it during your "Worry time" You'd be surprised how much this can help !
youshouldsmile
Most of the time we are spending with the phone in our hands so first of all - let's turn the night shift what I mean is from the blue light to yellow which doesn't trigger our brain that much and makes our eyes to feel more rested. Since blue light is bad for us, then our brain can't make hormones for sleep. Also, try to do not think, try to clear your minds (but it's so hard you would say) yes, it is hard but just trying for ten minutes you finally will be asleep. Or at least that's what I do when I can't.
Matthew2414
There are many possible causes. 1. Physical causes. A doctor can do tests to determine hormonal or thyroid issues that may be the cause. 2. Environmental causes. Too much light in the room, too warm, too much noise, excessive electromagnetic radiation such as from appliances or powerlines. 3. Poor sleep hygiene. Go to bed and get up and regular times. Do not uses digital devices 3 hours before bedtime. Get light and exercise in the morning. 4. Nutritional deficiencies. D3 deficiency. Take D3 supplement in morning per doctor's instructions based on your current D3 level determined by blood test. 5. Anxiety. Natural supplements like L-Theanine and Lemon Balm Extract can help. 6. Excessive caffeine intake. Don't drink caffeinated beverages after 3 pm.
Anonymous
It could be that you have insomnia. Insomnia has many possible causes, including stress, anxiety, depression, poor sleep habits, circadian rhythm disorders (such as jet lag), and taking certain medications. Sometimes, just a lot of anxiety or stress causes us to stay awake without insomnia too. There are two types of insomnia, primary insomnia and secondary insomnia. Primary insomnia is insomnia that isn’t caused by anything, that’s been there most of your life, and can be treated with a variety of therapies or medications. Secondary insomnia is insomnia that’s caused by a second, underlying issue. Some factors could be stress, depression, anxiety, and so on. This can also be treated with therapies and medications, but would be focused on the underlying issues rather than the actual sleeplessness
AishaD
Not being able to sleep at night is most often categorized as insomnia. Insomnia can be a result of many factors, and it can be acute or chronic (both are treatable). Some of the symptoms you are probably facing right now are general tiredness, irritability, problems with concentration, and sleepiness throughout the day. Some causes of this can be because of a significant life stress (new job, moving, etc.), illnesses, interference in your sleep schedule, and/or environmental factors. You should talk to your doctor about this and work out the root of this problem. Try listening to some relaxing music before you sleep, meditating, or maintaining a healthier diet.
MimiEcouteAuCoinDuFeu
It may be hard to find sleep for lots of reasons. First : are you in your bed ? If the answer is no : you should wonder why it’s hard for you to go to your bed. I experienced several reasons, like : (1) doing intensive cardio training late in the day, (2) not being tired because I woke up late in the morning, (3) not being tired because I woke too early, had a long day at school, and then took a long nap just before diner, (4) don't want to stop doing something, like reading, or playing. For the 4th reason, I decided to use my internet box parameters to turn wifi off past a certain hour. Now, if it's hard to find sleep when you are in bed : maybe you think in circles, remembering bad memories, (as if your brain was picking the worst chapters of the story of your life) or anticipating bad news... It warms up the body and prevent from finding sleep. I never achieved to stop my brain, but happily it’s easy to cool my body down : I stand 5 minutes in front of the open window, take fresh air, and then return to my bed (which cooled down too). And then it’s so much easier to fall asleep ! Hope it might help you !
Shanekilmartin
There are many factors why you wouldn’t be sleeping at night. The most common is insomnia which is a sleeping disorder. But also being stressed can make you stay up so can anxiety depression or being on the phone before you sleep. Leaving phone away from your bedroom is always advisable it’s good to go to bed with a clear mind and wake up with one too. Going to be stressed is never a good idea having a hot shower or listening to music can help significantly or going for a walk in fresh air
lavenderpeach1107
Many people cannot sleep at night because of constant worrying and over analyzing about what happened during the course of the day. I was guilty of this for a long time. I would lye in bed for hours on end with nothing on my brain but worries- worries about being late to work, about being a bad mom, and worrying about how tired I was going to be the next day from all of this! I was stuck in a negative spiral until I finally became so tired of it and started doing some research to see if I could improve my situation. I learned that many suffer from lack of sleep due to constant worrying and that developing a "bed time" routine can ease your mind so you can actually fall and stay asleep. It takes a while to develop a routine that works best for you but it can be done and it changed my life!
Anonymous
November 1st, 2019 4:34am
Sometimes the burden of regrets and feeling of worthlessness can do that. I went through not sleeping that way i used to lay awake sometimes crying looking at the ceiling. Wishing that someone can come and stop this. Don't worry just talk about it or keep a diary and tell yourself about it. You will overcome it one day. BEST OF LUCK If you need help ask for it. 7 cups is here for you always remember that. You are not alone we are here. I think you can start by admitting you mistakes and failures. Really helpful. Accept them as they are. Don't wish they were different
Sunport19
Well there are a multitude of factors that could prevent you from having a good sleeping pattern, maybe something is on your mind lately that keeps you preoccupied if it is so and you wish to talk to someone you are on the right platform, you may consume to much sugar during your eavning and so your body is to engaged to be able to find sleep or maybe you have been going to sleep later and later and so you are to awake to go to sleep at what now is early, for this you have to slowly move back your bedtime in order to regain a normal sleeping hour, if you feel like you do not relate to these answers you can check others listeners answers or check in with your doctor.