Why can't I sleep at night?

Stacey Kiger, LPC

My belief is that therapy is not about giving advice, but joining you on your journey

Anonymous
Do you exercise enough? Use screens such as TV, conputer or phone right before bed? Do you have a poor diet? Do you have a lot on your mind? All of these things can contribute to poor sleep. Identify your problem and then tackle it with whatever is appropriate. Often, talking to someone with experience can help.
Anonymous
If the reasons aren't medical, then it could be because you're thinking about something a lot. This could be due to stress or worry or sadness. Dwelling on things that distract you can definitely hurt your sleep. Another reason could be that your sleeping environment is too bright or loud. Be sure that you're comfortable and relaxed when you're trying to sleep. And finally: stimulants. Please please please, try to avoid caffeine after noon-ish. A lot of times, that makes it almost impossible to fall asleep.
MissHeather
There are many reasons that a person could be having trouble sleeping at night ranging from health problems, high activity in the brain and depression/anxiety. It may be useful to keep a record of nights that a person finds it easier to sleep and what variables may be influencing this. Keeping a log of stress, mental wellness, nutrition, and physical activity on a daily basis may help to prove beneficial in learning what contributes to poor sleeping patterns.
lionhead
Insomnia is quite common, maybe more common than you think. It is an unfortunate habit to have though, especially if you have to wake up early. Reasons for your insomnia could be your physiological state (or even your age; teenagers are prone to insomnia due to melatonin levels), or simply because you had too much caffeine for the day.
Espirit203
Could be for numerous factors depending on the context. Physical factors could include hormones , growth or pain. Mantal factors would include stress or anxiety about something or someone. If you cannot identify any of these factors I would recommend seeing your doctor or checking family health history for sleeping issues
AdeleTheHelper
There are multiple factors to sleep. Do you watch phone/computer/tv screens before bed? They emit blue light which prevents your brain from producing melatonin (the sleep hormone). Are you stressed? Thinking about worries can keep you awake. Do you do other things in bed besides sleep? If you eat, watch tv, play games in bed that can mess with your brain! It doesn't associate bed with sleep, it thinks of bed with activities. Are you doing enough during the day? It's harder to sleep if you aren't tired. There's even more to it than this. Look online for tips and tricks to sleep at night. I use low-dose melatonin to sleep, it helps me so much and isn't a habit forming drug; it's just melatonin your brain already makes. My professor at U.C. Berkeley suggested it. Changed my life. But always try to change habits first, because it's cheaper that way. =)
Anonymous
There are many reasons why, so I'm just going to talk about the ones that usually cause me to be unable to fall asleep. 1) I am not tired enough. This happens sometimes - I'll be in bed an feel wide awake. What I usually do is get up and do something relaxing, like coloring or listening to music for about 15 minutes before going back to bed. 2) I can't get my brain to shut up. This also happens a LOT - my thoughts will run a billion miles an hour and I'll be absolutely unable to sleep. What usually helps me then is to get up, find a piece of paper and write down all the thoughts that are bothering me, knowing I can deal with them tomorrow. It's not easy, but it usually does help!
EmmaVictorian
Well, it could be many things. Could be too much coffee, or your mind is thinking, or it could be stress, could be from pain. Mamy many things could make you not sleep at night. could be too much alcohol.
Anonymous
You suffer from insomnia, depression, or simply be addicted to your phone. Try to develop a bedtime routine. If you still have trouble, see a professional so you can be well rested and happy!
GuardianAngel77
Worry about things. Having depression and sad about things. To wound up from ADHD. Having flashbacks from the past .
Anonymous
I drank a cup of coffee after 1pm today and I'm really sensitive to caffeine! That combined with using my phone in bed was not a good idea!
Anonymous
Any number of factors can be the reason, you may be exposed to too much light of a certain spectrum via a screen etc. That inhibits melatonin production (the sleeping hormone), if you are a teenager puberty may cause a condition called Circadian Rhythm Disorder which messes up your sleeping pattern or if you have a lot on your mind you may need to deal with it before you can have a good night's sleep.
Anonymous
I’m having same trouble ..will sleep 3/4 nights six hrs and 2/3 hrs on nights in between..mine is anxiety and my brain overthinking..I try to write everyday what’s happening stressing me out etc
nrigaud
May 3rd, 2018 5:27am
There are many possibilities. You could be napping too much during the day, drinking too much caffeine, or you may genuinely have insomnia.
SosukeAizen
Usually because you have something nagging at the back of your mind. You need to try to confront your feelings and deal with your emotions to get mental peace.
BeezKneez23
There are many physical or psychological reasons why you might not be able to sleep. Are you dealing with stress, do you have anxiety? Are you living a healthy lifestyle, there can be so many things. Be more attentive to yourself and your body and you should be able to figure it out.
Anonymous
Its a common occurrence that could be due to thinking too much before sleeping or the light coming from your phone. I suggest not using your phone 15–30 minutes before you try to sleep.
BerkserkDog505
it could be insomnia or you thinking about stuff so it's keeping your brain working and not allowing yourself to rest.
ClareBlissfulSoul22
There could be a multitude of reasons for not sleeping at night so do some fact finding to narrow down some possibilities for yourself. How long has this been going on? has a major change happened in your life when it started? are you taking regular exercise? are you drinking stimulants close to bedtime? writing down anything on your mind on a piece of paper is a great way to let things out of your mind until you are ready to look at them the next day. There is a well-documented strategy called the "5 whys" which I came across you could try it. You keep asking the why until you get to the root reason behind your not sleeping.
Anonymous
Two answers are possible 1.I don't work enough during the day and so it's difficult for me to get asleep at night. 2.Something is really bothering me.
Anonymous
Usually when a person cannot sleep at night it is referred to a condition called insomnia. Its where the person lacks the ability to fall asleep or stay asleep. However that is not always the case as to why a person cannot sleep. Not being able to sleep at night could be an underlying symptom of another disease or condition. Some of these may include, depression, chronic pain, medications, stress, or maybe a lil bit of anxiety. Most of these can be helped with some form of medication.
phosphenerelief
Multiple reasons can determine this - Caffeine, how recently you've eaten before bed and its resultant impact on your energy, looking at your phone screen anything less than an hour before bed and how much or little energy you have used during the day. Psychologically it could be due to rumination - racing, excessive thinking - but that's completely normal, sometimes your mind needs time to decompress, as it is through reliving memories, or thinking about things that we organise them, and consciously process and get over them - so simply try to do something to relax before bed and don't dig for those thoughts or emotions, but if they come to the surface - recognise them, address them kindly, and openly and then let them go instead of holding onto them
Decembre
To improve sleeping at night, I recommend creating a schedule where you go to sleep at the same hour and wake up at the same hour. This way, you body can accommodate with a permanent sleeping schedule and thus help you sleep at night.
Colors27
MAybe you had some stress in your life. Try finding thee thing that won't let you sleep at night
alsem
This is mainly down to stress, it helps if you right down whatever is making you feel anxious and decide on how you'll deal with said problem the following day
Anonymous
You may have anxiety or depression and your thoughts could be why you can’t sleep. Or it could be something else
compassionateBeauty81
Im not sure about your specific situation but some people use music to listen to or calming sound Effects. You could try that or is all else fails you could try an over the counter sleep aid like NyQuil and see if that works for you. Your not sleeping could be because of any stress or anxiety you might have or it could be something greater. If you would like you could go to a medical professional to see if they can treat you’re sleeping issue. I really hope you get through this problem and if you would like to talk about it more there are many listeners to help you.
Anonymous
Could be many factors. Main one being, your brain is too alert. You need to make sure there is a comfortable enough sleeping environment for you to be able to switch off completely. In order for your brain to release the right amount of Melatonin, you will need complete darkness. That means mobile phones and laptops put on silent and placed elsewhere. Your room should ideally be at a cooler temperature (especially females). The reason why you're having so much trouble is distraction and disturbance of the mind. That can be put at ease by silent meditation or simple deep breathing exercises.
Diya83
Maybe you are stressed and your mind is overwhelmed, if you try to relax and put away things that could add to your stress, like your phone or any other devices that you do things on and instead listen to music you enjoy or you find calming and try to not stress as much you could get a better night's sleep. If you also do things that you enjoy and you feel happier before you sleep it could help you to fall asleep faster
Brittneym101
Everyone is different so you may have a different cause as to why you can't sleep. I can't really pin point exactly why you are having those issues, but people often get sleep studies done. It may be within your best interest to get one. Maybe you have a lot on your mind and it could be that your brain doesn't want to turn off. This answer will depend on a lot of different factors. Some say that warm milk can help. It may be time to visit a doctor is this is something that happens often. Good luck