Why can't I sleep at night?

Stacey Kiger, LPC

My belief is that therapy is not about giving advice, but joining you on your journey

Anonymous
Sleeping isn't for everyone. Some people have an active mind that just refuses to be put down after dark for a while, which isn't the worst thing in the world so long as it doesn't hurt you during the day
Anonymous
I ask myself too many questions. I have to remember that nights are moments for me to be in peace, whatever I've done wrong or whatever the problems I have.
Anonymous
Sometimes, I reflect back on the day and realize a personal flaw of mine. Then I start building up my anxiety worrying about if others know about my flaw.
ComfortingForest
There could be stress going on in your life that could be affecting your sleep cycle. There could also be medical problem linked to it, but always first look for a physical affect that could be changing your sleep pattern like moving to a new place, starting a new job, being in a new relationship, etc.
JasmineScent
There can be many reasons for this but to find yours you have to see a specialist that can also treat your condition because lack depravation can become very serious
baffledplatypus
I end up just thinking, whiling away the dark hours, eyes open staring at the roof. I just wonder about things, life, death on occasion if I'm lucky it may be a daydream or a fantasy. But that's always just it. I think. All I do is think.
lovingLynx89
Perhaps there are too many things in your mind? Sometimes we chose the evening to think about problems instead of preparing for bed...
FrenchThea
Well, personally i can't because i can't put my brain on "pause". So what i do is read, read until my eyes fall, and that's it for me.
LittleLemon96
Because you are worried about too much things or there is something that bothers you but you can't find out what it is. try to make a recap of your day, your last week to discover it .
Anonymous
Sometimes it is hard to fall asleep at nights because a lot of things are going through your mind. Sometimes we look for answers to our problems but there are no solutions. It is better offer to leave those thoughts and try to sleep.
Nisee96
There are many reasons why one can't sleep at night. It could be because of insomnia , stress , weather or other issues.
Pajama
I can't sleep at night because I have chronic fatigue. I get so tried that I can't fall asleep at night, but I find it easy to sleep during the day. It is important to build a night-time routine to prepare your body for sleep, and to stay asleep. Try different things like light stretching, turning of your electronics and listening to audio-books to keep your head clear.
Gaugau88
It could be you can't put your thoughts on hold. Is there something that you keep thinking about, especially when you try to sleep?
2cupsofteaa
Perhaps you've been feeling extremely uptight and stress, Is something bothering you? Try relaxing or reading a book!
Kenai
A lot of people have trouble sleeping because the blue light from their electronics interferes with their body's ability to produce the hormones that make you sleepy. Try putting away electronics an hour before bed time and replacing them with a calming activity like reading a book or drinking tea.
TheIntuition
You have most likely messed up your normal sleep cycle! Try going to bed earlier, turn off the lights at least half an hour before going to bed, and possibly meditate for 10 minutes or read a book. Stay away from eating foods after a certain point in the night, before 6-8pm. You can always try natural sounds as well, played a low volume.
CourageousCaramel
Not getting enough sleep is very unhealthy. I can see why you are worried about this. Maybe you are dwelling on some negative thoughts while in bed, right?
yourlisteningear
so much thoughts running in my head. things about tmr, the week, the month, the year. or maybe i've slept quite a bit in the day time... or i was so excited for the next day.. or i was so troubled with my feelings.. or super duper stressed..
lightlovehope
You may have something on your mind, even if its not something you're constantly thinking about. If there is anything stressful going on in your life, you may subconsciously be thinking about it
BlueRoseAoiBara
Because of stress, distraction from electronics like television, cellphone and computer, and too much sleep during the day.
organticOcean11
There can be many reasons why you aren't sleeping at night. Stress and anxiety can cause make it difficult to sleep. Also using a screen(phone, computer etc.) can also contribute to difficulty sleeping. Some things you can do to help you sleep at night are: taking time before you go to bed to relax. put on comfy clothes or pajamas, drink tea or some other non caffeinated drink and read or do another calming activity. If you think stress is causing your difficulties sleeping so some breathing or other relaxation except codes befor bed. Something that helps me a lot is simple yoga with deep breathing right before bed or even in bed.
michaelad
Get out of bed when you can't sleep. Don't try to force yourself to sleep. Tossing and turning only amps up the anxiety. Get up, leave the bedroom, and do something relaxing, such as reading, drinking a warm cup of caffeine-free tea, taking a bath, or listening to soothing music.
Vixiana
In my own experience, my inability to sleep is usually due to stress, having had too much coffee or sugar or simply due to lack of exercise be it physical or mental activity. A balanced diet combined with exercise does wonders for my sleep. Also, it's worth trying some relaxing activities before sleep such as a massage, a nice warm bath, perhaps some reading. I really hope you'll get back on track with sleep :) It does so much good to your health. Best of luck!
Anonymous
December 23rd, 2016 1:33am
There could be multiple factors in contributing to your lack of sleep at night, I believe the best thing to do first in tending to your sleep schedule is adapting to a relaxing routine that settles you for sleep and if you are still unable to rest properly, seek medical help to rule out any other possible conflicts.
Anonymous
There's a train of thoughts in your mind. You may or may not be aware of it. If you think its not that then get help from a professional.
heavenlyBubbles83
Could there be something on your mind which is distracting you or something that has happened recently to prevent you from sleeping?
Anonymous
A lot of things can affect your sleep. If you know you don't have insomnia, you may be affected by lots of different things. Stress and caffeine can be big reasons, but if you stay in your room a lot during the day, your brain associates it with being an 'awake and active' environment. Take a minute to relax before bed and don't eat anything past 7:00 PM. And remember, your room is for sleep only.
Anonymous
Being sleepless at nights nowadays is very commonly due to the fact that we check our phones, laptops or whatever so often after we get in bed. So, if you find yourself too addicted to using your devices, you should consider switching it off and keeping it a good distance away from your bed. Another factor that determines the need for sleep is your daily physical activity. Whether you're in school or work, chances are, you have spend most of your day sitting at a desk. So, your body just doesn't get tired enough to make you fall asleep at the end of the day. So, why not consider going out for a jog whenever you have some leisure time and the weather is nice outside? Or you can do some simple exercises right in your room for half an hour. Just do anything that gets your muscles working and in need of a proper rest at night. Secondly, there is the issue of caffeine consumption. Whether you like red bull or a cup of coffee, you should halt consuming any caffeine 6 hours before your regular bed-time. On the other hand, there are foods that you want to eat before hitting the sack. Some milk and a banana can help you get some shut eye. A glass of warm milk actually induces sleep and bananas contain high quantities of potassium which helps relax your muscles. I hope all that didn't bore you too much but I hope these tips help :)
Anonymous
In sorry to hear you are not able to sleep at night. There are ways of getting over this such as, not viewing your screen 1 hour before bed, having dairy before bed like milk and not over thinking things before bed. As well, There are things that are different like sleeping disorders that may be interfering with your sleep.
SunShineAlwaysGrateful
I am at a magical age where sleep sometimes is elusive and those tropical moments make it tough as well. 😜 THe best way to cope is to relax and unwind before bed. Build a routine! Personally I cannot go to sleep until I am ready to fall to sleep.....that helps and exercise too! Make sure you are tired enough for sleep...and no napping on the couch! lol 😜😜 Limit caffeine too helps quite a bit..I do sleep regularly and soundly but not as long as I did before menopause....yeah at 51 it all changes! 😜😜