Do humans really deserve to be happy?

Lindsay Scheinerman, MA, LPC

My work with clients is to help them recognize and build on their strengths to find solutions for the conflicts presented in their lives.

lovinglife99
Everyone deserves to be happy. Even animals. We were not put on this earth to suffer and be sad and upset all the time.
TheLizzyMonster
While I mimic the sentiments found in the other answers I feel like you want a more in-depth answer than the benign "Yes, we deserve to be happy because we exist". So, first off, I guess I would have to say no, we don't deserve happiness. But on the flip side do we deserve unhappiness? I believe that we should have access to the best of ourselves and have the ability to flourish and grow. Meaning I believe we should be surrounded by environments that are cultivated to provide support and understanding. We should have access to methods that allow us to express a wide range of emotions and not get tied down to the negative ones by a chemical imbalance in our brain or environments that don't provide care and support. The best way to look at it would be that I would like us to have the capacity for a wide range of emotions and have an environment that accepts us and allows us to express them. Emotions are not bad. Even ones like anger or anxiety. They just are. But if you really think about it...how would you feel if you were able to express your emotions, get a huge amount of support and understanding from the people in your life, get the medication you need if it actually a chemical imbalance in your brain (please seek medical assistance if you have questions regarding that), and are able to understand your emotions and work through them? Would you feel content? Obviously, life sways a lot of our emotions, and that can not always be helped, but with a support network and mutual understanding we would be able to handle more of the things life throws at us. Maybe that is happiness. I don't know. But I believe that is what people mean when they say we deserve to be happy. We deserve to have the opportunity to flourish and grow. And that usually leads to happiness.
CoffeeTeaAndHonesty
Being happy is quite literally beneficial to our health. Studies have shown that happier people actually live longer! So I believe humans do deserve to be happy, as it is a part of our human nature.
Anonymous
Every human, no matter what has happened in the past, deserves to be happy. Life is too short to be unhappy.
Anonymous
I think we all do. I believe if everyone's happy, no one will envy and no misdeeds will be done. Sadness can be contagious. And truly happy people would like others to stay happy too, so it's a win-win. It's all about the win-wins.
EnchantedPepper
May 3rd, 2015 12:35am
I don't know if deserve is the correct word, but I believe everybody has a right to live a happy life so long as they're not hurting anybody or breaking any laws. Sometimes happiness isn't easily achieved by some people who are struggling with illness, family troubles, addictions or mental health problems. But that doesn't mean that they're less deserving, it just means they need to work a little harder to get the happiness and peace that they want.
Anonymous
Yes, everyone deserves to be happy, if they are poor, depressed, have disabilities etc they deserve to be happy
LAPsychologist
I believe happiness is something we are strive for. As far as deserving it, most defiantly. Happiness looks different to everyone, one persons happy may not be another persons happy.
PashT007
Yes, we do deserve to be happy. No matter what has happened, or what is ahead- we deserve happiness.
Priscilaxx
Yes, I like to think of it as if we weren't suppose to feel an emotion then it wouldn't exist. We all need something to be happy/excited about.
HumanMechanic
"Deserve" is an interesting word. I think being happy depends on what we've done. You can only "deserve" something if you are deserving. What have humans done? Hurt animals, label each other, cut trees and ruin habitats. But, people deserve to be happy. Humans are those mammals who believe they are God and are on top of the entire chain. People is being specific to you and me and just Homo sapiens and their interactions with one another. Even then, you truly only deserve happiness if you make others happy. I mean, if you hurt a person a day and then wonder, "Why do I feel this miserable and alone?," you don't deserve happiness. Not the way you're going. So, if you're unhappy, make yourself deserving of happiness. Personally, I think the question to this thread should be, "How can humans become deserving of happiness?" The answer to that question is very simple: be a good human being. Do what you feel is right and don't destroy everything in your path.
Anonymous
I believe all humans deserve to be happy. Why live in a world where everyone's upset, down, or whatever else. Happiness and joy bring light to the world. If it were possible for everyone that be happy, I feel the world would be a better place
Anonymous
Yes, humans deserve to be happy. Who would not want to be happy. We all deserve no matter who we are, what we are and what we've been through. Being happy is essential in our existence. The mere fact that we experience happiness make us feel that there's still hope for everything. Yes, humans deserve to be happy amidst the unfortunate events that we have been through.
hopesanddreamsawait
Of course! Every human deserves happiness. Sometimes we need to work harder because circumstances make us work more than others for it, but in the end we do deserve it.
Anonymous
I believe humans deserve to be happy because being sad is like living a slow and painful death everyday.
Anonymous
Humans definitely deserve to be happy. Every human does I believe the purpose in life is to find happiness.
trisjlistens
Of course we do. We deserve it, especially if we work hard and we help other and we share. We deserve happiness because we are creatures with emotions. We are the reasons for our own happiness.
AWfulesomejj96
Of course,No doubt!. Humans are the top predators on earth and they have inherited dominion over it.
Anonymous
Of course! We all deserve to feel happiness. Without happiness we would not know how to value the small things and we'd end up forgetting what it's like to love.
mightywindbag
Yes. It is something we are born with I believe. Happiness is an innate quality/emotion. We are born happy.
iambrandi
Absolutely, positively, yes! The world would be a better place. But to be happy all the time is unrealistic. The other emotions are very important. Its healthy for humans to express all types of emotions. Do humans deserve to be happy? I'll say it again. Absolutely, positively YES!!!
Anonymous
Humans do deserve to be happy. All living beings deserve to be happy and living life on earth is best spent happy.
kalanlightning
Humans deserve to be happy since we only live one life and I think we should make the best out of it
dancer923
Yes of course! Everyone deserves happiness in their life. :)
1Jelly7
Yes everyne deserves to be happy even though it's not that easy sometimes. But don't blame yourself for that. Happiness is nothing that comes easy. Sometimes it needs a little practise.
LavenderLakes
Yes humans do deserve to be happy. We live on this earth once and we need to make the best out of it. I would want to personally know at the end of my life that I really did live life to the fullest.
MusicGal
Depends on what your viewpoint of happiness is. Everyone will have their own definition of happiness, so in my opinion, as long as you personally feel happy, I feel all people should deserve to be happy.
tmmath
Absolutely humans deserve to be happy. We deserve it just as much as anything, the way humans can care about each other, and the compassion we feel for other creatures, and humans is a beautiful and complex thing that not many other things have the capacity to feel. These feelings also come with great sadness at times and its almost a sure thing that we will feel sadness. The fact that we have the courage to push through shows we deserve happiness.
PrincessDove13
We all deserve to feel happy, yes. :) And what fun would life be without a little happiness in it? Being sad and depressed your entire life isn't fun!
Anonymous
November 21st, 2016 4:16am
Do you deserve your arms, your hands, your eyes? You were born with them; you acquired the right to them before you were born. You don’t have to earn them; they’re yours. It’s the same with happiness — you were born with the ability to be happy, and though you cannot be all the time, you definitely deserve to be! How about looking at it this way — life is just a mess of colors of the rainbow, red and orange and yellow and green and blue and indigo and violet. Happiness represents yellow. So if you take away yellow, what happens to the world? Imagine it without the sun, without the light. Somehow yellow manages to make everyone happier, and influences the people around it. That’s you, even when you’re not happy, but even more so when you are. You’re brilliant. You’re amazing. So yes, humans do deserve to be happy.