How can I stop being paranoid?

★ This question about Anxiety was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.
Turkey

Caglagul Turhan, Msc

Art Therapist

I believe that being aware of who a person is, will help to make the life better. I help children, adolesences, adults and parents for understanding themselves

Luvoc
Based on what I have had to deal with in the past. I find it is best to take a step back and breathe, take a look at all the facts (trying not to over analyse the situation), this will make you ground yourself to the reality around you. From here you can try identifying which of these facts are the source of your paranoia. Take these facts and as best you can think rationally about how they came to be. Remember to keep calm as possible and think in a realistic way. This will help you deal with eventually stop these factors from triggering you paranoia.
LovingSpirit
To stop feeling paranoid, we need to accept that worst case scenarios can happen but that there's no point in worrying about it because it might also NOT happen. There is no reason to worry about future possible events that may not occur. the Famous saying "Cross that bridge when you get to it." comes into play here. After all, you can't cross the bridge if you're nowhere near it.
Lizzard123
One of the most important things for me that I do when I get paranoid is think about how little of an impact I am making when I do something. I am only one in a sea of millions why would someone specifically pick me. I feel more free and much less worried about it after that.
ConallBranagin
Please seek help through support groups, counselling and ask support from your family and close friends. Medications may be necessary; be patient and kind to yourself as you improve your life.
Anonymous
you need to come to terms with why you are paranoid and what you are paranoid over, you should confront your paranoia fears
CosmicStranger
Know the root of it all, then assure yourself with happy and positive thoughts then trust.. never be too greedy with your trust and understand.
originalLion57
Talk to someone you trust and care about and whose opinions you usually respect, talk about your paranoia out loud to that person... sometimes it helps just hearing yourself say things out loud so you can actually hear yourself say it... and process what you've said and thought ... and it's great to be listened to and get some other perspective from a close friend or family member or therapist who doesn't struggle with paranoia.
Anonymous
Rationalizing is one of the best ways, in my opinion. In your mind have statements like "This can't happen because ________" and find the logical reason behind your fears.
Hannah927
Trying to put things in perspective can be immensely helpful. Often, anxiety has us looking at something too closely.
LoveIsLouderx0x
It takes a lot of self control ,"You'd worry less what others thought of you when you realize how seldom they do."
TomorrowsFaith
The best way to begin to help yourself get out the phase of being paranoid is not what most people would believe by attempting to tackle the issue. The best way to get over what you are paranoid about is to distract your mind when you begin to feel paranoid about something. This can be done through writing, reading, watching something, drawing.. Anything you find you're comfortable with. As you become accustomed to switching your mind from it's paranoid state, you'll become less likely to notice the things that were originally triggers for paranoia
ashwin13
First we must initially accept we are paranoid to even stop being paranoid. We must find the source that makes us paranoid: if it is a thing, person or an action of person. Once we know what the source is, we must understand the severity of the problem based on the existence of the object in our life. If we can ignore the object then we can be less paranoid. Otherwise we need to take serious steps to understand that we need to feel more confident
ams96
January 1st, 2015 10:51pm
I think the first step to overcoming paranoia is to identify, why, when, and where we are paranoid and then take steps to eventually overcoming it.
Anonymous
I find talking to someone very close about what I feel paranoid by is the first step to help me get over paranoia. Usually people are worried and paranoid about certain things and it's helpful to talk to someone who knows you very well and understands your living situation.
Anonymous
Just relax and take breathing exercises. It would help with ur self esteem and confidence to be boosted up!
heartfulleigh60
I think the question in itself may speak to some of the issue. If the goal is to jump from 0 to 60, to stop something that we may not be able to control completely, it will seem completely out of reach. It would be a good first step to try and identify what themes the paranoia is stemming from i.e.; social situations, thoughts, people, places, things…that way, we can start fact-checking to see whether or not there is contrary evidence to help prove to us we are okay. Often, paranoia sparks anxiety, which allows good opportunity for grounding techniques i.e.; labeling where you are, describing the atmosphere, deep breathing, counting, anything that works for you.
Anonymous
I think a good way to try and stop yourself acting paranoid is by trying to understand the route of the paranoia. For example if you are feeling paranoid because your boyfriend is flirting with girls, it might be a good idea to talk to him about it. Trying to truly understand the way we feel and why can be very hard. Good luck!
It can be hard to overcome feelings of being paranoid. If you feel you need someone to talk to you can always come to 7cups of Tea and choose from many listeners. You can also talk to somebody you trust about your feelings or speak to a counselor or therapist to help you sort of your feelings. Good Luck!
Anonymous
By taking baby-steps, as cliché as it sounds. Just try going out of your comfort zones a little at a time every day, or until you get used to your new boundaries.
PeaceWithin123
The first step is to make sure it really is paranoia and not a legitimate concern. If you are sure it isn't something you need to worry about, then do some physical activity to change your mindset.
Tuckerme
I always just remind myself that what I'm being paranoid about isn't life threatening, or isn't going to physically or mentally harm me, and so I face it.
Sparrow263
I struggle with this question consistently. All you need to do is focus on the present instead of thinking about the future or what is going on that makes you afraid. Think of something that makes you happy, take a deep breath and count to ten. This doesn't cure anxiety or paranoia, but it certainly helps when you can't immediately fix the situation at hand.
funnyWind26
Well you must not panic for starters , go on breathe , take a long breathe & release it slowly ... keep Your mind off it
Anonymous
You can stop being paranoid is to start controlling your thoughts, and stop obsessing over whatever is making you paranoid.
intelligentReeds12
I know is must be frustrating each time it occurs. I know you seem scared is there anything that can help you from these thought and calm you? Do you have any favorite activities or hobbies that you enjoy?
vReifieRv
Paranoia is always related, somehow, to a (many times inaccurate) perception of persecution. A paranoid person will tend to believe (s)he is being chased, accused, looked upon, investigated, subject to plots and schemes, when usually there is little to no evidence of such threats. A nice start to deal with this condition is to consider looking for support. Not support for your theories, but for your well-being. Look for considerate friends, trusted people who you know won't judge you, and ask them for their insights on your unsettling. Don't forget that not rarely the one who looks the situation from outside sees what we often cannot while inside the fog of the issue. And, of course, consider looking for professional help in case this has started impairing your daily tasks and overall quality of life.
CherryBlossom3
First, take a few deep breaths to calm down. Then, ask yourself if what you are feeling is actually a reality. If you are worried that a particular event will happen, is it because it has happened before? Or, is it something that you just fear? If it is a fear, what steps are you taking to change it?
Anonymous
I'm really not sure how to stop being paranoid, but I think that it helps to look for small little things in your life that are good. If you can't find any, try to make some. Maybe those little things will build into bigger things that are good, and maybe they won't. Either way you can use those things to focus on when paranoia strikes. This isn't an end-all answer to the state of paranoia but it works for me. Sometimes I focus on those small/big good things so much that even if all of my paranoid thoughts are true, it doesn't matter. I know it won't be that way for everyone, but I hope it helps at least one person or gives someone an idea to try out.
Anonymous
you need to fight face to face with what are you making you paranoic, and you will win, trust me, i had try it
whimsicalMoment68
You need to try to realize that thing that you are afraid of is not really there, but it really depends on what you are paranoid about :)