How can I stop thinking about opinions of people which cause anxiety?

Sara Radford, MA Clinical Counseling

Within the context of a supportive, collaborative relationship I help clients to explore themselves in a effort to create healing and lasting positive change.

MendingByMuisc2
The easiest way to go about this is to realize that we define who we are, we are the ones in control. We should not let the opinions of others shape us. We control ourselves, and its okay to be our own person.
amazingBreeze17
It's all about self esteem. When you work on that, you'll understand that the only way to be happy is to be independent and to listen to your instincts, and do what sounds right to you. Sure you can ask for opinions, it's even important that you do ! Because you might find truth in some of them, when they are constructive and honest... But don't give every opinion too much importance. Many opinions are often subjective and biased. Just trust yourself, above everything else.
You cannot ignore other people but you do not have to dwell on other people opinions. Everyone has the right to their opinions that does not mean they are correct.
GryffindorMadchen
Build up your self esteem. When you feel good, you don't care when people put you down. Easy for you to say, you may think. But YOU have to live with YOU the rest of your life, and why live with someone who constantly cares what others think?
Anonymous
People never really accurately know what another person thinks and feels about them. People have their weaknesses
Anonymous
You have to learn not to care what people think about you, some of them are jealous of you, so they might be trying to bring you down by their thoughts
Tinygreentreefrog1234
September 22nd, 2015 2:20am
Realize that opinions are just that. Opinions are also known as perspective. Perspectives can be right or wrong. You need to decide if what they have to say is constructive.
AlanRY
You may stop by realizing it's you who thinks those thoughts about others' opinions. Mindfulness & Contemplation work for me to cultivate stillness and let go of anxiety. Have you tried that?
Anonymous
Who you give priority to depends how you react to others words and acts.everyone does not care or love the way your close one does. Your family or parents only wishes tire welfare. The one who loves you the most on this earth is you yourself only. So what youthink and theperson who lives you, cards for you say that matters only. So it's just better to think this wa. people don't control your life. Neither their words control yourlife. So let go of those words coz you have to move on.
Anonymous
February 22nd, 2016 11:17am
Just think about your own opinion, because your own opinion is what matters. You can ask other people for their opinions but in the end its your choice whether you'll listen to their opinion or not, some may cause you to think a lot about their opinion because it may be a negative opinion about you, just expect what others may suggest to you because anxiety will always occur unless you expect things on a different view like being optimistic.
RhinocerosWings
That's a really hard thing to do, but since you're asking, I'd bet you're strong enough to do it. You just have to realize that the only opinion that matters is yours. Any time I would get upset about someone else's opinion, my therapist would ask me, "Prove their opinion makes a difference in your life." I never could do it. Well, he's my dad. "So what?" So he's really important to me. "So what?" So his opinion should matter. "Says who?" Says....I don't know who says. "So, does his opinion matter?" Well.....Since I can't prove it DOES matter, I guess not.
TaranWanderer
You can try doing some reality checks if you're worrying about what other think of you. Ask yourself questions like: is that actually what they think of me? am I sure I'm not making it worse than it is? is there any evidence to support how I feel? evidence to contradict it? even if it is the worst case scenario, can I make it through? By grounding your thoughts and worries, it can make it easier to handle and to get past.
Nusrp77
Those need to be replaced with good thoughts or motivation to have the good views which helps a lot.
dxphne
This for sure takes time and practice but it will get easier the more you grow as a person. Try to love yourself as much as possible, you will gain more and more confidence each day. The more confident you get, you will care less and less about the opinions of other people. After all you need to try to remember that only the opinions of the people close to you should matter, so try not to think too much about opinions of people who don't matter that much. Just try to build your confidence and forget about people who don't care for you and you will be fine.