Is it normal to feel scared to go to college?

Rory Boutilier, Registered Professional Counsellor

I use a client-centered approach to help you reach your goals. You are the expert on you! Particular areas: depression, anxiety, decision-making, change, self-injury.

NyxCain
Absolutely. Leaving what you know to something entirely new is what happens to almost everyone. It's something almost everyone has to go through (you don't want to be in high school forever...hopefully) so just keep in mind it's a new adventure and you will be able to survive it. Things like keeping in touch with old friends or family can make the transition easier.
Pillow89
Yes it is normal to feel scared about going to college. Your going to a new place without your parents, sister, or brother.
Oscarthecat3
Yes, It is very normal! =) Going to college is a scary time, you're leaving home, leaving friends, and leaving family. Going to college can be very daunting, and scary. Leaving to college is actually a very big step in your life, and just like starting middle school for the first time; it's scary! You don't know what awaits you. As some reassurance though, pretty much every student ever =) who has left to college or uni have felt nervous, and/or scared. I certainly felt super nervous and scared :). You are normal! I'm sure college life will be fabulous for you =D!
afzalmaverick
Yes of course i still remember those days back but then as time passes we start enjoying our days. Those were the best days to remember
Shivvy
Very much so! Its a beyond huge change where pretty much every aspect of your life is going to be different - but it is a fantastic opportunity to grow and become more independent.
QueenPassion
Yes it is. I feel they same way I'm scared I'll be alone and not make any friends and if I do scared they'll just leave me
WorkInProgress11
So normal!!! You're about to experience something completely different than anything you've done before, so of course you're probably nervous and anxious! I definitely was. But also excited. Because college provides a lot of opportunities, not only for your future, but also for the time that you're there. You'll meet new people and learn more about yourself. But it is challenging, especially if you've never really been away from home for a long period of time before. Even if you stay home and go to college, the routine will likely be very different than when you were in high school. So yes, it is absolutely normal and understandable to be scared.
RainbowHelp777
Yes. It's a new environment to get used to just like it was in high school. Everything will be completely new to you again.
TheAdmirableCreatureAmanda
It is very normal to feel scared to go to college. Going to college is a huge transition. But the good thing is, everyone is scared to go to college! So you are all in the same boat. It will take some time but you will get use to college, you will make friends and have a great time! Good luck!
nrigaud
Of course. College is a scary time and it's a huge life change! But just because it's different doesn't mean it's going to be bad :) A lot of people who go are scared, and many visit home within the first 2 months, so it's totally normal to be a bit nervous ^_^
GingerCatGirl
Of course! It's a big life event and big life events can be scary, even if they are positive because they are unknown. It's totally normal to feel that way.
Rosiexx
Yes definitely! Know you're not alone in feeling this way, and make sure you have resources to cope with the stress/anxiety that college might bring along. For example maybe you can share your feelings with a trusted friend or family member, and ask them if they would be willing to support you through adjustment to college life. Also check out academic and mental health resources your college offers(:
Anonymous
It is very normal! Some college campuses are huge and a little scary, so its okay to be scared. Its literally your first year attending it.
Anonymous
It's absolutely normal! College, after all, is a pretty big step in one's development (and it's no cake walk either!). That said, it's manageable; after all, you're in the same boat with so many people, and so many have come and gone before you. Believe in yourself.
freefromworries
That is normal! College is a huge change and can definitely cause a variety of emotions. It's normal to be scared, excited, nervous, happy, sad, etc. when it comes to going to college. There is a lot of pressure and it's normal to be scared, whether it's because of moving away, new classes, figuring out your future, etc. So remember it is normal, but you can get through it.
Butterfly121
In my experience, it is a very normal thing to feel scared or nervous when making a big transition such as into college. Starting college is a very big life change and everyone experiences it in a different way.
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
Yes! It's a big change in life and a major step toward adulthood. Fear is totally normal, but if you find yourself overcome with fear or if the scary feeling is preventing you from doing what you want, you may want to try to understand more about where it's coming from.
Anonymous
Of course it is! It's a new place with totally different people, it's totally common to feel a little nervous to go to this new school.
radiantShoulder34
It is definitely normal to be scared! College is a huge step and if you are scared, you are doing something right!
Anonymous
Yes, it is. You get a complete change in scenery, people and different surroundings. It is perfectly fine to feel scared and take your time to get used to it. Try to find out why you are there and what you want to achieve. That might help you feel more comfortable sooner.
Sunshine3457
Yes it's Normal! Change is scary but it can be overcome! the future is whatever we want it to be..
earthch1ld
Anything new is nerve-racking to most people. Especially college! You are expected to meet people's - and your own - expectations. Just remember that there are many other people that feel the exact same way as you do!
Anonymous
Yeah its normal, that is mainly cause of the new environment thats there and what kind of people we'll meet, our security, if we'll be safe etc, its a part of college life as well :) but needn't be scared so much, maybe be vigilant but enjoy at the same time. cheers! :)
Ellie74
Completely! I was honestly terrified after I graduated high school and realized I soon had to go. Everyone makes college out to be the worst thing in the world, but there is actually nothing to be worried about. I struggled a lot in high school and when I entered college I was a nervous wreck, but In the end I discovered that college was structured differently and it was way easier for me in the long run.
Anonymous
Of course! Honestly, I think it's more because of the pressure put on teenagers to go to an Ivy League school, be a billionaire... One extreme or the other. I'm nervous too, so you're not alone; in fact, I can guarantee that most are terrified, even those who seem so nonchalant. In the end, it's going to work out. Just do your best, stay strong.
Anonymous
As a person who has been college it is normal to feel scared to go to college because it is a new experience to a person so they can be feeling the "flight or fight" feeling. In alot of cases you will experience more classwork and difficult tests. You will also meet people who you never met. In alot of cases college could be a scary feeling at first but overtime the "flight or fight" feeling should decease and should be more of a positive feeling for the student.
dreamBubbles37
Of course it is! You're on your own with your own responsibilities for the first time. It's completely understandable to be scared but also remember how exciting it can be to start a new chapter in your life.
Anonymous
December 2nd, 2016 5:22pm
Yes, everyone feels scared or excited when going to a new place. It'll go away once you get used to the new atmosphere:)
Kiara1
December 2nd, 2016 9:23pm
College is the upgrade from high school, everything is brand new. Expectations become higher as you grow older and you meet new people! You should feel excited there are many opportunities and new things to study. Don't let your fright get in the way of your studies, once you make some close friends and feel comfortable with a new routine and new environment you will eventually become more cosy in the new place.
GottafallBeforeyouFLY
Of course it is! College is a MUCH bigger High school, but with more mature people. Of course there's going to be immature ones too, but in college, people do more of their own thing. There may be cliques of course if you're staying on campus, but generally people just mind their own business and avoid drama.