Why can't I deal with everyday situations calmly?

South Africa

Lisa De Regt, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

Anonymous
Because sometimes emotions get piled up without you noticing it. I always compare it to a bucket: you don't notice the individual drops that gradually fill the bucket, only when it's about to overflow / has overflown. When that happens, each new drop that would usually just cause a ripple on the surface now spills water. So it's not that you're a weak person who cannot deal with an "everyday situation", it's rather a matter of the everyday situations being just one drop too much in a far too full bucket.
CarinaNicole
Anxiety is a normal thing to deal with, but being constantly overwhelmed could be a sign you're spreading yourself too thin. It's good to have a support system to lean on to when you feel like you have little control.
Anonymous
If you're having trouble managing your emotions, such that it is noticeably and severely impacting your life, you should consider speaking with a psychiatrist regarding your symptoms. For some people, this is simply how you were born, but you can learn to control your emotions better with time, practice, and maybe even a little professional help too. Don't be afraid to reach out for help if you need it.
Kristynn
Some situations are a lot more difficult than they seem and some days are better than others. The thing is to just realize that you are trying your best. Take deep breathes and don't push yourself too hard.
ghostPastry
Maybe you're pushing yourself too hard or expecting too much from yourself. You don't always need to be calm, but you should give yourself some space to recharge.
Anonymous
Deal with everyday situations is really tough. Sometimes we may fail or loose our calmness. But the key point is try hard and adapt.
Anonymous
Sometimes we can get caught up in our emotions and become reactive to a situation. Next time a situation arises, take a step back, breathe deeply, and really think about the next step to take before acting on your impulses.
Anonymous
You cant deal with everyday situations calmly. You should seek advice from peers or learning lessons from daily occurence to cope the situations in future
Anonymous
Take a deep but think about what's going on and what could you do to change the situation and if there's nothing that you can do leave it up to the universe
LIVEincrediblyHAPPY
Sometimes certain situations come all at once and in your face or certain persons are uncooperative with me that day, that I just lose my calm and put on my animalistic mode. It's a human trait. A part of me, but I certainly recommend against it.
Espirit203
You may have anxiety. Anxiety can be in many different forms such as social anxiety around people or work anxiety around school work or career work
HelpyBuddy
Depends on what you feel but mostly breathing calmly few times can make you deal with everydays situation surprisingly better.
Anonymous
You may need to take a step back from time to time and figure out what about the situation is bothering you. Try to think about what’s going on before reacting. If it doesn’t seem to help there are other causes of frustration such as lack of sleep or incorrect eating patterns (fatigue) if so you can look up ways to get back into healthy eating habits and sleep patterns and if that doesn’t work you should consult an expert in mental health care and possibly one in physical health care as well.
IrisSmiles
It may be anxiety. A lot of people tend to overthink things that are most likely not going to happen. Try taking deep breathes; in through your nose and out your mouth when going about your day.