How can I be friends with my ex?

Jennifer Geib, LCSWR

1:1 chats (up to 5 days/week). - My therapy is non-judgmental and focuses on emotions and motivation to accomplish your goals or overcome your struggles.

slightlyodd99
Just talk to him/her, strike up a normal conversation once in a while. It might be awkward at first (i know it was for me) but over time it will be less so
Anonymous
First you must find peace between the two off you..... Come to terms with the break up release all hurt and pain.... Then you should be right on your way to a healthy friendship. 😉
Anonymous
If you can communicate with them what you feel comfortable with and are able to respect their wishes as well, you can stay friends.
peacefulNutella97
Being friends with your ex takes a lot of time. After you break up, it is best to distance yourself from your ex for a little so you can remember what life was like without him. Afterwards, when you are completely over him, you can start talking to him again and you guys may be friends. If you jump right into a friendship, it may not work because either of you may still have feelings for each other and things will be awkward. It is best to spend some time apart first and then reconnect later.
Anonymous
accept first that the two of you are over and there's no feelings involve and your intention for being friends is clean,
Gazali21
You need to accept her as another human being and respect her decision. She has a right to live the world and at any stage if she decides to mobe on you need to allow her. Only then you can be her friend after
OpenedEyes
Don't think about him as your ex, change your mind set. Through this you ca begin to look at him differently and over time the awkwardness or any discomfort will lessen.
Meowzer326
You can be friends with your ex, however you need to take a good chunk of time completely away from each other. I mean no contact of any kind for at least 4 months. This allows for both of you get your emotions and thoughts in order. There will be hurt feelings. You need time to recover.
Anonymous
If you broke up on good terms, it might be quite easier to be friends with them. But first, you have to ask yourself why you want to be friends with him and the only hope you want out of the friendship is to maintain the friendship and cherish it.
apricot230
This question is rather vague. Did you two end the relationship on good/bad terms? Is s/he currently single or attached? You need to be sure that a friendship is all that you're after. Once certain, reach out to him/her and express your intent and emphasize that s/he can take all the time necessary to be alone and that you'll be available as a friend if and whenever s/he's ready to talk. If you're unable to contact him or her because you were blocked on all platforms, or if s/he's already seeing someone, I'd suggest that this is not the time to force your way back into his or her life.
BaysideTigers
I honestly struggle with this question. If I had to think of a perfect situation, it would be where we simply did not have the same goals. Probably coming down to kids and marriage. If this person did not want those things, I'm sure I could potentially be their friend still. This would help if before we were in a relationship, we were friends first. That way, we would have had some common ground to start with. I'd also say that if our relationship was built on honesty and truth. If we fought and argued but at least we were honest about who we are, then it seems like there would be trust. Those things, in my opinion, are grounds to let someone go, but still recognize their value as a person, rather than someone that you were intimate with.