Why don't my friends believe that I'm depressed? I mean, I've tried to tell them this, but they just say that I want attention. The thing is, I was scared to even TELL them! Any help?!

Constance Durham, LMFT

I am quite compassionate about the work that I do with my clients to help them regain their self-wareness and get through the challenges that keep them from being their best!

radiantHoliday82
Feeling depressed and not having someone to help can be scary, but you're never alone! We can reach out to us anytime! Nobody will judge you but instead listen and try to help :)
Vivian4
Hi, I am sorry to hear that your friends doesn't see that you are serious. Part of it is attention , but even to want attention has its reasons. And you shouldn't be judge either way. Have thought to pick one friend who you feel can understand and tried to tell him/her to face or by letter where you will be brutally honest and ask for friend's help. ? Take Care
suzeblues
It is difficult for people to believe in the presence of something such as depression when they lack personal experience. Due to this lack of awareness, people suffering with mental health concerns may get judged for 'attention seeking'. You deserve to receive empathy and understanding and it's a natural part of healthy friendships to be able to share your thoughts, feelings and experiences in a comfortable environment. Labelling someone as an attention seeker can be an easy way to discredit that person's emotions and experiences, which is entirely unfair. To question even the sense of this accusation: so what if you did want attention? We all want attention to some extent. When we speak we want people to listen, when we share something; good or bad, we want our friends and loved ones to show their care and there is no harm in that. Sometimes we aren't even asking for anyone to fix our problems, but to simply be aware of them and we deserve to have that respect in a friendship. Sounds like your friends had no idea or experience of how to respond to someone disclosing that they are suffering with depression. You don't need to 'prove' yourself to them.