I am struggling with codependency and depression. I cannot afford therapy. What can I do to get help?

129 Answers.
Top Rated Answer
dudekorpf
talk to someone, maybe friends, family, partner and of course listeners on 7cups .. :)
Newest Answer
LucieG
You could possibly try a free mental health phone line or try an online chat with a help centre. Depending on where you live, most countries have a was to access suport

Take our free test to better understand yourself and Depression

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
Anonymous
There are 12 step programs available through Codependency Anonymous. Although an offering basket is passed, you do not have to pay if you cannot afford it. For depression, there are online support groups as well as Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA) available at no cost to you.
TaranWanderer
First, try having a look at the resources in your area. Many places offer free therapy for those who need it, and many schools/jobs have therapy services as well. There are also therapists who work on a sliding scale, so you pay what you can instead of their usual rate. Aside from that, there are online services like 7 Cups, including the self-help guides here. You could also look up methods to dealing with the things you're struggling with, as many people have gone through similar things and have shared what works for them online. Things like challenging negative thoughts, meditation, exercise, reality checking, guided thinking, and gradual exposure can help, and you can learn a lot about them online.
Whisperingwoods
Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.
AjanMalic
Been there. Ain't it fun? When I was struggling most, I started reading CBT books and recovery books like The Zen of Recovery. If you have a tablet or cellphone, you can get some good e-books for free or cheap that will help you to take control of your brain.
ThaliaRaven
Reach for someone who can help you with this on 7 Cups. There are many people willing to talk to you for no money at all.
Anonymous
We have therapists on this site that you can talk to! As well, as tons of listeners who can lend an ear.
Anonymous
Thinl about why you are you depressed? Its hard to get out of depression. I know and I understand. Try spending time with people who are positive and try to participate in things that interest you.
CharlieSharkie
There is bound to be a free help in that you may find beneficial-I'd suggest you check a few of them out. Alternatively, talking to friends might help you!
HelenaofTroy
Talk with someone you love, and don't be afraid of worrying them, they prefer to know. They will listen and try to help. If nobody is available near, then we are here as a team to listen to you and give you support.
Recent Answers
SouI
Try to find something you enjoy doing and try talking to a school counselor or hotline; someone who already has boundaries in place.
FriendlyNeighbour17
speak with those that you trust e.g. parents or friends. if those aren't available please use 7 cups!
CalmPassion78
I practice yoga and meditate/pray at least once a week. I try talking to people that I feel safe with as soon as I start feeling depressed.
Anonymous
You can try the website 7cupsoftea ! This FREE website has trained listeners always willing to talk to you, as well as free therapists. I've signed up when I was too afraid to ask my parents for therapy as a teen, and it changed my life. Everyone is always so willing and helpful, and now I am a trained listener as well! I hope you join our community soon.
ChocoboSteak
When dealing with depression, your social support is your biggest asset. Talk to your friends and family. They have been there for you before your current problems, and will most likely see you through the bad times.
dgcato
Find an free online service to get counseling. Talk to some close friends or family about your mental health.
Anonymous
See your family doctor who can make referrals to therapy services that are available in your area that don't charge
TalkswithSteve
April 22nd, 2018 5:10am
You must now take it upon yourself to take actionable steps and goals to lead you in the right direction. A good start might be finding a forum or server where you can discuss your situation with people in a similar situation.
richyShiny39
Relate to groups here.Also you can get a listener.Can listen to advice on dr podcasts. Also pets.if you can afford.
Nasrz8
You can read books, watch videos that can help your case even alittle. Overcoming hardships in general can come in many ways, but the main engine for that is your willing to overcoming them.
sereneShoulder53
We actually have an online therapist available on this platform if you are interested you can check it out here (http://www.7cups.com/online-therapy/)
Anonymous
Join support groups! Talk to friends. Find free therapy organizations. Coda is a great source for people with dependency issues.
ImDom
Download app like this it’s free help and people are willing to listen and help you in these type of situations
DaithiW
Online support is one option. Another is local voluntary services. A third might be (local) religious organizations, as these often provide some sort of counselling or support.
Anonymous
I'm sorry you're suffering and not able to access the help you need. Many therapists offer sliding scale fees, so it's worth asking. If you're in education, your institution may offer counselling. In the meantime, self help books can be useful. Try searching for "The Depression Cure" by Stephen S. Ilardi and "The Feeling Good Handbook" by David D. Burns in your local library.
SammiieSmiles
Meditation, writing, crafting, drawing, talking to a close friend or relative or even someone on here is a good way to keep yourself busy and are coping mechanisms to helping you along the way if you cannot afford therapy. Id always recommend seeing your GP if you are struggling as they may be able to provide something for you thats not as expensive or maybe even free of charge. We are always here to listen and we are of no cost. Please remember, you are never alone and there is always someone here for you to talk to. We are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year. You are always welcome to talk to us and we will always be listening. Hope you find the best outcome to your question soon. Take care and Good Luck! Lots of love! SammiieSmiles~xx
snakeskins
Try sites like these! Since you're already struggling with codependency, I wouldn't recommend trying to get help from your friends, since it can put a huge strain on your relationship. However, that doesn't mean they can't support you and encourage you on your bad days.
PoppieVanPelt
The answer is obvious - that is why you're here! In 7 Cups of Tea, we provide people to talk about their problems. Although we listeners mostly don't give advice, we help people to analyze their situation and find the best way to handle the obstacles the face. We believe that every person is the expert of themselves. And no one is given heavier problems than what one's capable of.
Engineeringhappiness
you can talk to counsellors, or seek help here at 7 cups. speak to experienced people. there is online therapy as well.
EmpatheticHelper
Keep chatting on 7cups and if your depression is because you want to change your life, then change it. You have to take action in order to make things better. No actions, no results.
CaptainObviouslyOblivious
You can reach out to us here on 7Cups! There's alot of great communities you can find online, within facebook, or twitter, anything of the sort to find company and support where you need it best. Some low-income therapy centers will also do pro-bono cases upon request, so it never hurts to ask if that's an opportunity available to you. :)
Anonymous
Well, I'd first look at free programs you have access to. This is perhaps more helpful for students as most institutions have free counselling. If you don't have access to a free counselling service, then I would suggest finding listeners on 7 cups, very distinguished, highly rated and reviewed listeners.
Angelsupporter9
Seek for support groups from your local church or red cross or whatever you may have nearby, and most of the time they're free of charge. You'll get support and advices from there
Anonymous
You can talk to listeners here on 7cups! They are a free resource and if you find somebody you click with, they can help you work through it.
chubbybunny0314
You can always talk it out with your parents and seven cups is free! There should be other ways you can get therapy without paying if you search it up online.
PosiPotato
Group therapy is another great option that may be more affordable for you. Consider self-help books. Reading daily affirmations. Practicing mindfulness techniques.
donybeshy
February 3rd, 2018 9:56pm
when you can't afford therapy there's always some helpful people to help you go through your struggling such as these nice people in 7 cups
Anonymous
If you are still in school i'm sure that there are many counselors there that can help you out. Just find one that you are comfortable with. In the meantime, try opening up to a friend or family member that you trust.
Avyiris
Come to our site and talk with one of our listeners! Practicing proper coping mechanisms and focusing on research and bettering yourself can also help. Keep in mind that it will get better.