How to deal with depression fallout?

Mexico

Paola Giordani, Psychoanalyst

Licensed Psychoanalyst

I have helped and am helping people cope with loss, divorce, anguish and parenting. Depression is also a major issue that comes up.

PrincessOfHugs
For me, I've always dealt with constant or intermittent depression with talking through it. It doesn't work for everyone but when talking with someone I feel like there's someone else that not only knows that I'm going through this but is trying to understand what I'm going through. With depression however it can be difficult to do things that can lead to feeling in a more positive manner. It's kind of like a long windy road with many confusing exits. If it's at all possible it would be an excellent idea to get a constant connection with someone to work through it, being able to depend on someone to help, or to have a constant reminder of what you want or are working towards is an excellent way to deal with not only depression but with many other issues.
SomeRandomNiceGuy
August 3rd, 2016 7:47am
Just let it be, after sometime it'll fade away. The more you try to distract yourself from depression, the more it'll overwhelm you. Spend some alone time with yourself, when you want to talk to someone try talking to the person who listens to you the most. It'll be alright. Stay Strong!
dancingCloud
Depression is just a passing cloud that comes and go while we stand on our feet,never identify with that which comes and goes .
Anonymous
Consider what is making you depressed, and use a creative outlet to channel your emotions. It will help.
Naturallyhappy00
The best way to deal with that is to talk to close friends and family if that doesn't work try writing down everything that hurts you and then rip it up
Anonymous
Talking with someone that you trust and telling someone how you feel helps. In this we can find people that better understand us and accept us.
Raindance764
When I get depressed, my best bet is to do something that requires all of my focus! Playing a video-game, or going for a drive with my best friend always seems to be the cure!
caringTurtle14
The best way I have found to deal with a depression fallout, is find the number one thing that keeps you going. Whether it's to go to school, a pet, a family member or friend, or to get the life you've always wanted. No matter what it is, keep it in your mind as a reminder of why you fight the depression. My reason is my son. He's why I fight my depression everyday because he needs me.
Anonymous
Hang out with people that make you happy to keep your mind off of whatever is bringing you down in your life
Anonymous
talk to a listener in this site if he can't handle or have a similar situation the listener will refer you to a therapist or another listener.
AdmirableTree
Living your own life is the most important thing. Being there for others and giving them the time and support to heal will allow you to heal as well.
Anonymous
Music, Gaming, and Drawing has been my way of cooping with depression, I have resorted to more aggressive actions in the past but tried my best to stop them.
Anonymous
Get up and start moving, call someone, do anything to get out of yourself and depending on severity seek professional help.
Hal19
What keeps you going? Think about it. What is your main focus when you wake up in the morning-- is it saying good morning to the first person you see? is it school? a favorite teacher? a close friend? a co worker you enjoy? hell, your fur babies?? You are blessed and unique and you need to remember that every day the sun will rise and so will you. You are only as happy as you allow yourself to be.
ChildofLilith
April 2nd, 2017 12:48am
Empty your mind. Our depression can often lead us to overthinking about we haven't done or what we "should" be doing during these low-times. Remind yourself: it's okay. Relax, take your time, and try to calm yourself by doing what's best for you and makes you the happiest, even if it's not working at it's usual percentage at that time. Your mental illness is as serious as any physical illness: you wouldn't push yourself out of bed with a fever, would you? Treat yourself as you would on any other sick day. Take time for you. Rest up. Do what you can to make yourself feel better, and try your best not to worry too much. There are always people around to help you in your time of need.
Bilalkhan12
Aim for at least 15 minutes of sunlight a day to boost your mood. If you live somewhere with little winter sunshine, try using a light therapy box. Practice relaxation techniques. A daily relaxation practice can help relieve symptoms of depression, reduce stress, and boost feelings of joy and well-being.
Anonymous
Acknowledge this is just temporary feeling, know that it is going to get better eventually. Don't forget that you are stronger than that and go exercise, move a little bit, do something that makes you usually feel good and remember it is okay, it is how your mind works and sometimes it will happen, just keep fighting. Do not give in!
Ari3w7f
keep yourself busy don't stand still, of do things you like or things that don't take to much thinking.
life30
You need medical help You need to understand its just like feevr..so it's ok..you will take medical help and u will be fine. Okus you need to be strong..to recognize the good points of life
crispCloud
Focusing on the good, positive aspects of your life while monitoring your thoughts for unreasonable, pessimistic thinking and then reasoning with yourself. In a way confronting yourself in a kind way, have a conversation with yourself :) of coarse don't forget to seek help and support, everyone deserves that.
Hxnner
Stay as strong as you can, talk to your close friends and family and come up with an agreement to help you as much as possible. We care about you too! You're always wanted here too
Anonymous
Try some sports,hang out with friends, do some activities, try to spend your time useful and not on boring stuff
Anonymous
Depression could be a very difficult emotion to deal with. Begin with these few steps: Letting go of what's hurting you Remain positive Practice alone time Read a book Do something you like Only you can control this type of feeling get out,get up and let go.
MindPalace93
This is a hard one. I think communicating openly, honestly and properly is crucial so that both parties know what is going on. Talk about what sort of patterns you tend to fall into before a fight or disagreement begins so that there is a safe environment for that to happen. Seeking therapy if possible is also a great idea because it usually helps to have a professional opinion on ways to deal with different things. If the situation has gone very sour then I would suggest giving both parties time before trying to re-approach them with a conversation of what is actually going on. I hope this helps.
SilverisSarah
December 23rd, 2017 12:31am
Sometimes, when depression fallouts attack, you gotta think small. Baby steps. Try to talk with one of your friends from the fluffy pilllow (safe network). and try to deal things like they are a check list. However, if you need, reach for medical help.
NightRoses21
Talk yourself up. Ex. I'm not stupid. I'm allowed to make mistakes. I have so much to thankful for (go ahead and say them out). I'll make it because every success story has the not-so-good times. It is important to SAY these OUT LOUD. Or Chat with someone you know(don't know)...Flirtingly. This also helps loneliness. OR help someone else by giving to them or praying for them sincerely. Then speaking in tongues helps. For those who believe in Jesus and The Holy Spirit.
Jennifer164
January 3rd, 2018 7:19am
It must be really hard for you but trust me everything will be okay soon.Do things that make you happy,try to sleep and eat well and try to talk to someone about this problem.If you feel things are getting really out of control visit a psychologist or a psychiatrist.Take care of yourself.
Anonymous
Find comfort in the things you enjoy or used to enjoy. Talk to someone about it, because keeping it bottled up can do more harm than good.
sonia7perelin7777777
Change the attitude to everyday affairs and responsibilities. Postpone serious decisions until better times come. Avoid stressful situations. More communication with people. Do what really gives you pleasure. Avoid idleness.
calmingMist38
January 31st, 2018 2:42pm
Stay in touch Don't withdraw from life. Socialising can improve your mood. Keeping in touch with friends and family means you have someone to talk to when you feel low. Be more active Take up some form of exercise. There's evidence that exercise can help lift your mood. If you haven't exercised for a while, start gently by walking for 20 minutes every day.