How to get things done professionaly at work when I'm very depressed?

49 Answers.
SimplyBeing

For me, one of the first things that goes when I am depressed is the ability to focus. Focus is a skill that can be practiced. Our brains have a finite limit of processing power. We can only focus on a very limited number of things at a time and use only a limited number of skills. One of the benefits of fully focusing on your tasks is that when you are fully adsorbed in a task the brain no longer has the resources to maintain the parts of your memory and personality that focus on the negative thoughts and feelings you are having. The positive psychology term for this is FLOW. The more often we are able to be absorbed in a worthwhile task, the more often the clock moves without us realizing it the happier we are overall. The happiest people on the planet experience flow almost daily. I can always tell when myself care is working because I will be working and look up and two hours have pasted. I feel contentment rather than happiness I suppose but it is longer lasting that simple enjoyment. Take a look at the documentary titled, "Happy." It is a wonderful look at what makes for lasting happiness across the world. I wish you peace. ~J

Anonymous

In order to get things done professionally at work when I'm very depressed I self soothe before I begin anything. Meaning that I take time to do comforting things like listen to music, drink coffee, mindfulness walks, and coloring, so I'm at enough ease to do professional work.

CharmedPrincess91

I understand what you are going through. I have been there myself. I would say you should just push yourself and think that "I will think about all that emotional stuff later. This is not the right time or place." So acknowledge the things that bother you don't block them or pretend but just put it to the side to to deal with it later. Also, I think you should do things that will help you in your free time or when you are not working. Go to the mall, watch a funny movie, hang out with people who matter, go on a walk, treat yourself, work out, go to the beach, paint, draw, jog, join a club, go on a camping trip, go on a holiday... the options are endless. The key is to do that things that you genuinely enjoy. So basically try to stick with you "happy and positive" routine. With time you will start to feel better. :) Hang in there. I have been there and I know from experience that things will get better. You can't possibly feel upset forever ;) Hope my answer helped and all the best.

Millichidulinas

You can try to focus on your job without thinking about your depression. I personally used to do this at school and it helped me a lot 'cause I was distracting myself from bad feelings.

NumberEleven

Separating your emotions from your work can help, set out a plan to complete, one that is both realistic and not too taxing on yourself.

Faithlife

One task at a time. Sometimes directly telling yourself each step. Ex. "Pick up the pen" "sign the paper" "smile" "ask for a moment". Read or ask a friend to read about treating depression if u don't plan on seeing a doctor or if u have a far out appointment. Remember that people heal from depression... it's just a moment and u will get through it.

Owen27

I've found that leaving my problems at the door no matter how difficult it may be, can help me forget about the issues I face and allow me to have a good day, chatting with my co-workers or succeeding with written reports. Hope this small tip can help.

IrishLauren

Set goals however big or small is my key thing. It can be the smallest task but when you're feeling low the smallest thing can change your outlook completely.

Anonymous

Try to don't think about being depressed at work. Maybe it will be easier if you'll think only about your work to do. I know it's hard but it might be possible.

Anonymous

You have to mentally separate your emotions from your professional life. You have to focus on the positive side: You have a job.

presocratics

If you are very depressed, then you might want to take a sick day and speak with a doctor. Otherwise, your plan of action ought to be to ensure that you are eating healthy foods, exercising, sleeping at night, giving attention to the people in your life, staying up-to-date on all of your responsibilities at home, such as financial. Avoid drugs and alcohol. Beyond these basic measures, you can use your senses to stimulate a more positive mood, seek out novelty, take breaks from work to recharge.

kosheiry

No one will be able to help someone if he/she needs help himself/herself. Being depressed means looking or being affected by the negative aspect of something. A quick way to get rid of the effect of depression is shifting focus into something more positive and productive. My personal formula is telling myself that I am being helpful and productive and I should be proud of myself. Whatever is wrong should not stop whatever is right.

Anonymous

When I am at work, I take a few minutes to take a deep breath, meditate and pray and then get back to work. If I was severely depressed, I would do that and take my medications that my doctor prescribe.

SilentSerenityy

You can't work efficiently if you're not feeling 100% and every employer should realise this. You are entitled to have time off work to try to get back to a more stable version of yourself or see a doctor about your depression. It may be time to take a break for your own sake.

tranquilMoon88

Work through individual tasks and see them as set goals to achieve. Try to keep thoughts set on the task at hand. It's useful to focus on jobs that need to be done, when you feel depressed. Use a tick list to help you realise what you have achieved! you should feel a sense of management and a way of focusing while at work. Keep in mind that you will get some time during the day to switch off and allow some time for your thoughts or simply rest.

Anonymous

It's best to take some deep breaths and try to relax. Practicing mindfulness and meditating can help relax you while in a public area. It's best to not try to push yourself too hard while you are feeling depressed, otherwise your feelings of depression will get worse. So just try to slow down and focus on one task at a time.

ReservedExcitement

That's a tough one. For me, what I had to do was use my time outside work to make sure I did tonnes of self care stuff, why I did was exercise for an hour three times a day, drank nutrient packed smoothes,( I found eating to be difficult), and did mindful breath awareness exercises and tried to sleep, my days were consumed with it, and I lost friends, and had no fun., I was trying to stay well and alive, but what was the point with no friends or reason to enjoy this place. So I took time off work, got my meds straighten out a bit and now can exercise less and get away with it. Only three times a week. It took me 6 months in and out of the Hosp, but glad that I can manger a better life. Has to get a new job, though. That was unfortunate. We la vie! Hope there is something in that we that you can use in your life

Anonymous

being professionally at work is hard when you have troubles/problems. but you must set aside your feeling in work. you should enjoy doing your work, because it can benefit you someday. if you cannot handle your depression I suggest that you should visit a professional therapist to help you.

lightandsea

It can be scary to recognize your depression and realize that it might affect your work. For me, the biggest thing was to have compassion for myself - if something didn't get done as well as I would have liked, I try to let go of any guilt around that by reminding myself that if anyone else were in a similar situation, I would not think any less of them or their work.

LinaIsaza

focus on your work and keep your mind busy can help you to deal with the depression :) so, put your mind in work and help you to heal

Angelwings63

When you are depressed you do not think right. It is like any other illness which needs to be fixed before you are able to perform to your full potential. Take time off and get better. That will show you are acting professionally.

muhammeds20

I think I feel more calm when I am going to help other people, Then I will start forget my depressing piecemeal.

Anonymous

I think, the only way is to not emotionally attach to things. Just do it don't think much about it!!

taniaviridiana

When I'm very depressed I try to keep myself busy and be kind and understanding to others, also I try to keep in touch with people I love.

ThatsCherry

Always think about the great times you had/have. It'll cheer you up, it works for me. You can do it!

Anonymous

You have to leave your dirty clothes at home because no one will wash it once you're at work. Don't let depression gets the best of you and always remember if you let depression take over you lose. Keep positive vibes and seek help

AdmirableTree

Focus on your breathing then focus on what you are doing. Extreme emotions steal your focus away from your work but you can also take your focus away from your emotions with your work.

energizingPicture66

It may sound a bit different, but I think this is worth a thought. Certain theme parks call their employees cast. If you think of your work self as a cast member, then you can try to think of work as a character. I tell myself, I am in work character mode, and I will deal with my personal issues at home. While I am on shift, I will do my best not to break character. A busy job can be a blessing because it accomplishes something, and it can be distracting.

t1journeyon

Focus on whatever amount of time you feel you can. For example, if you feel you can handle the next 5 minutes working on your project, take it 5 minutes at a time.

valeriee

Get your mind off the things that worry you and focus on positivity and know that you can do it 💕💕💕

Anonymous

I don't know. Just keep doing it. I'm depressed all the time anyway. there is nothing i can do about it.

Breather19

Fake it til you make it. When you got home, cry your heart out and try to connect with anyone as much as possible to suppress the feeling of being lonely.

528Hrz

First of all I guess we should stop feeling sorry for ourselves, we are here, we are alive and we have a job! we like it or not is something we should be proud, it should be something we should appreciate and therefore no letting thing get unbalanced because I'm having a bad day. Since I'm sad, i should try to focus on the other side of my life, on my responsibilities and when I'm getting things done and well done, somehow it will work it's way out. Feeling bad with other part of my life should be a initiative for not letting down other side of my life

Anonymous

Drink some orange juice and watch a few cat videos and make sure you exercise. Those things might be able to cheer you up! :)

Anonymous

Retain a clear and focused head at all times when dealing with work. It may seen difficult in the long run however by having something that you can focus on, it will aid you in your road to recovery.

BlaireMack198

Just focus on the work and try to keep your emotions out of it. sometimes just focusing on the task at hand helps get stuff done without adding emotions to the mix.

crispAngel57

Invest yourself wholeheartedly in your work. Try not to focus on the fact that you are feeling depressed.

Anonymous

If you feeling particularly overwhelmed by the amount of work that you have to do split some of your tasks into smaller tasks and instead of having to do list or in conjunction with having to do list create a 'Achieved' list so that even if you haven't managed to do everything in one day you can see the things that you have accomplished and take pride in that every goal starts small

EstherTime

When feeling depressed or even a little down, you have to first acknowledge that you're not functioning anywhere 100%. Acknowledge that and do the best you can.

Anonymous

The saying "fake it 'til you make it" sometimes actually works, if you pretend to be happy and professional and kind, etc., those feelings will actually set in and become easier to handle when at work.

Butterfly121

In my experience, it has worked to just focus on one small thing at a time, such as "if i dont do anything else today, im going to complete this one small task." and taking it one step at a time. You need to also try and relax the expectation you place on yourself, and allow yourself to just do the best that you can do at that time, dont hold yourself to the same standard that you do when you are feeling up and more in a positive headspace.

originalbraveheart63

Sometimes it's just better to take a break and take things more slowly. Especially in a case of being very depressed.

Anonymous

Reading Self-Help books such as "Feeling Good" and changing your diet to include more plant foods could help you feel better and be more professional at work.

Wylycyote

Be open and honest about your wellbeing. You may need time off or a break to rest and recover. Speak to the doctor and get the appropriate support and medication. Work can wait but your health is the priority. You wouldn't work with a broken arm or leg.

jovialBeauty03

If possible, play some funny comedic radio show or listen to some uplifting music. Jokes are always funny even if you do not laugh out loud, you may chuckle on the inside

littlevoice333

The satisfaction youll feel afterwards will be such a pleasant feeling. Also take deep breath and tell youreslf to concentrate now for the sake of your very own well being, because you deserve to feel acomplished no matter how big or small the task is, whether youre giving away flyers or managing a big project, its your task and you can do it and you know you have tried your best!

EmpathicVision

This can be a challenge. The best way I handle my heavy depression moments are by understanding my limitations and adjusting my goals accordingly. I like to come from a place of "I will not always feel this way, but for now I will take care of myself and understand that my energy levels are not at their highest peak." Give yourself simple tasks and take a moment after they are complete to feel the satisfaction of having finished something. Treat it as though you are physically injured and have to take things slow for the sake of your well-being. Hopefully you are in a work space where you are supported, but even if not (and especially if you are not feeling supported) go ahead and support yourself. Trust that you are doing what you can, to the best of your ability at this moment and let that be enough. The fact you made it to work is a triumph in itself with depression. Good luck and great job.

ElementAurora

It is very beneficial to take day off for your mental health if you are struggling greatly. Mental illness is no different than any common contagions in that they make it difficult to perform your usual activities.

HelperTed

The most specific advice I could give here is to exercise. If you find your thoughts wandering off to dark corners, take a 5 minute time-out from your work. Go outside, get some fresh air, change of scenery, and do a little bit of running or body training. Once you come back in you might have shifted your focus, and return to your work with better concentration.

Didn't find what you're looking for? We have other answers