How do I keep myself from getting to attached to people?

66 Answers.
Anonymous

Focus on yourself. Build a good, strong foundation of self-love before pursuing relationships with others (romantic or platonic). Often, when we become attached to someone, we are looking for them to fill a void we have inside ourselves. Attachment will always lead to disappointments. Love you first, so if and when people leave or disappoint you, you won't be losing anything. A relationship should be an accessory, not a missing piece of your puzzle. You have to be the person who completes you.

roastedleaner

I force myself to attach on objects/tastes/colours instead of people. For example, instead of attaching to my dad, I attach to the colour blue because it reminds me of him. Instead of attaching to my current boyfriend, I attach to coffee, because he always drinks coffee.

mkehelper

Getting attached to people can have risks, such as possible rejection or hurt feelings down the road. However it can have so many rewards too, such as companionship, love, and good memories. It's common to feel a need to protect yourself from the risks of getting attached, especially if you've been hurt before, but then you'd be closing yourself off from the rewards as well. Sometimes to experience life's biggest joys we have to make ourselves vulnerable to the possibility that things won't work out the way we want them to. Luckily if we are hurt, there are always supportive people, like the listeners here on 7 Cups, that are ready to listen, because they've been there too, and they care about YOU.

fruityFruit7

Honestly, you can't. The heart wants what it wants and theres no way to deny that to your heart. The only thing you can do is isolate yourself from these people but your heart will still ache to talk to this person or see this person.

TranquilSky58

You have to get attached to people to learn how to develop as a person. Everyone gets hurt, it's only natural. You just have to find the ones worth your time. 'You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince'

Anonymous

It's probably best if you focus on yourself. Work on your self-esteem before building relationships. Before you can love someone, you have to love yourself. Relationships shouldn't be a main piece of your identity. You want to be known as someone who made a mark not someone dating someone who made a mark.

SacredArtist

Realizing your own potential and worth is a big step in not becoming "too attached" to others. I think that we must first understand that we are more than what someone else can bring into our lives. We can bring abundance into our own lives and sometimes it is hard to hear that when there is a thought in the mind that wants that attachment first. There is so much momentum behind the want, that desire, that need that attachment implies. In such a case, self-evaluation is helpful. We must ask ourselves questions like "Why?" "Why do I need this person so much?" "What do they provide for me that I do not currently provide for myself?" Is it love? Adventure? Excitement? Whatever it is, you must first be ENOUGH before someone else can win that freedom to also be enough so that way no matter what kind of relationship it is... you can both be enough for each other. Or, even, find out, with peace and understanding, that, perhaps, another path is the correct one.

CookieMonster20379

Keep replies short and simple, Dont ask anything personal which i relate to, Dont mention anything .

Patty24

The best way to keep from getting to attached to people is not spending so much time with them. You have to keep people at an emotional distance. If you spend a lot of time with them emotions will come into play. More time away keeps emotions at bay!

musicobsessed124

You can't help getting attached unfortunately. However, knowing who you're getting attached to is important. Don't trust too much early on, and always be careful.

Anonymous

I know this is going to sound grotesque but you have to picture the individual doing an act that you find unappealing. Think about how you'd feel if someone became too attached to you.

calmPanda51

Search for happiness and fulfillment within yourself. Once you become self dependent, you wont feel the need to attach to people for reasons other than normal human relations

presocratics

Recognize the basis for your need of them. If you find yourself feeling insecurely attached and therefore holding on too tightly, look at the basis for this insecurity. What underlying need is speaking through this tendency to "get too attached?" Apart from this, you can substitute something more reliable, such as God or the people who truly love you, as opposed to the people with whom you feel insecurely attached.

AboveAndBelow

Not becoming attached to people can be difficult since you could say people are naturally attracted to others. Maybe if you space out your interactions and keeping it to a specific amount so you don't see them too often

caringWaves99

I remember I am complete even by myself and I don't need someone else to fulfill my needs so I am able to stand on my own and that allows me not to get attached to others because it is not a need for me but rather a choice.

LifeCoach2

Never rely on them to make you happy. The only person that can make you happy is yourself. Are you feeding your soul? Do you have a spiritual practice in place? Are you doing things that benefit and support yourself. Other people can certainly make us "happier" and when we rely on them to make us happy, we get overly attached and can set ourselves up for heartache in the future.

Anonymous

I personally find being able to get attached to other people is good, if we are not too clingy and overly dependent on the other's presence. One way to enjoy a secure attachment without suffering it too much might be maintaining spaces for yourself for doing what you enjoy without necessarily the company of someone else in order to be self-reliant

NumberEleven

You could widen your net, talk to more people, don't devote and spend too much time with the same people all the time.

scenicTea81

While getting attached to a particular being is not normally harmful, distance has proven to be the most complete form of avoidance.

Anonymous

Well this is a hard question because some people get attached to certain people. Easily but I'd say that it can be helpful to talk to them how much you want but try not keeping it long convos

LittleLemon96

try to not talk deeply to them, spend a regular time with them, don't try to do every single thing with the same person, don't talk about your private life because it will make you want to say more and talk more which will lead you to a deeper relationship or friendship

enjoyiableBreeze84

It is always good to keep boundaries for yourself when it comes to relationships. Also, to know the boundaries of your peers. Also, always maintain open communication with partners (romantic, family, or friends) so boundaries are not crossed.

exquisiteLion14

Have you tried pursuing activities or hobbies that you are passionate about and don't necessarily have to do them with others?

Anonymous

Don't trust people you don't know too well, slowly open up to them but be assured to becareful what you say before you fully know them

dertohelpu7

Learn how to prioritise and also don't base your happiness towards others.Love yourself first so you would know what to deserve.

PoetaSinVersos

You can't keep yourself from getting attached to people. What you can do is learn to manage your emotions so you don't become dependent and clingy. The secret is to learn how to control yourself in situations of jealousy, how to be independent and happy on your own. You must keep people's company so they fulfill your social needs, but with patience you can learn to make it not hurt.

Mila76

If you don't want to stay attached to people, you should limit the amount of time you speak/hang out with them. Don't get too deep into conversations when talking to them. When you tell them your deepest secrets or get comfortable around them, then you will notice sooner or later that you can't get enough of that person. I suggest you still talk to the person, but remember not to get too personal and attached to them.

CK927

Learn your boundaries, what you're willing to accept from the other person and for yourself. Remember people come into our lives for a reason, a season or a lifetime.

Rakune

This is extremely difficult most of the time, as it involves having to stay away from people. However, this also doesn't always work, since as you may know, absence can make the "love" or attachment, rather, stronger. We get attached to people usually because we feel like we desperately need them. Try working on something else. Try to realize your self-worth. You don't need too many other people for this. Schedule activities to do alone, and have fun by yourself! This will help you feel less attached to somebody.

PrincessNiki

You can keep yourself from getting too attached to people by not taking things personal, don't get sucked in.

bulletproofmayhem

I don't think getting attached is a bad thing. It' healthy to have deep, human relationships and connections. It unhealthy to shut everyone out and it makes your problems worse than they were before. Accept love into your life. You deserve that

muhammeds20

I will always remember I am here only to help other people

thoughtfulPomegranate86

Unfortunately, a big part of being human is developing natural attachments to the closed people in your life. But if you want to eliminate that you would most likely end up feeling very lonely and potentially even depressed :(

LoveAll425

I believe that if you practice self-love and to try and enjoy your own company/solitude, you won't be so attached to the person. Instead of chasing, just be still. Work on yourself, explore your passions, go on an adventure and discover who you are.

cincin66

I answer there questions as neutral as possible. If I feel like the conversation is getting out of context, I will suggest another listener.

Cavo

Try not to visualize life together as much as possible. Keep your mind occupied through various hobbies.

Mikzwax

It isnt wrong getting attached to people just stop expecting the same from them. Through this you wont hurt yourself that much

PeacefulFruit

Learn to really love them. When you really love someone you don't need them to love you back. You don't need them to be there. You don't need them to be different. You love them as they are, wherever they are! So when you really love someone, you can take yourself out of the picture and just give to them and not expect anything back. When you don't except anything back from that person then you are not attached. It means you can give more fully too, no matter how they act you can give unconditionally because you don't expect anything from them.

Anonymous

It seems you do not wish to form an emotional attachment to people. However, human interaction and attachments are part of what make us human and are necessary to keep up healthy emotional and social wellbeing. I cannot offer advice on this subject, however perhaps think about the reasons you wish to not be attatched to people firstly.

Anonymous

I see nothing wrong with being attached to people. But when the times comes where you need someone to leave your life or they leave your life without you wanting them to, you need to be able to let go. Think about it, no matter what happens, that person(s) came into your life for a reason, good or bad. You lived without them at some point you can continue to live without them again it just takes time. Remember it is better to have loved then not love at all!

Leighlanie1213

That is a hard question, but i think i may be of your help. when you meet someone just don't expect to become best friends. try to think of it as mutual friends. not really close friends but still friends. also have you own best friend, the one peron you can talk to. have them be your attachable person.

bellesofhebrawl

I would start doing small or mundane activities on my own. I figured it's the best way to be comfortable with doing thing by myself without needing other people. Slowly an independent mentality will grow within.

PinkSparkles22

You shouldn't have to think about that. Being attached is not a bad thing at all. It's part of being human.

Aetherius

Getting attached to people is a natural part of life. It's a beautiful thing, to share our life with someone and have them share theirs with you. Attachment is risk, but without risk there can be no life and no progress! Attachment is a terrible, beautiful thing, but without it, where would we be?

AdriannaBanana27

Remember that other people are meant to compliment you, not complete you. You are your own person and other people are like garnish, meant to bring out the best in you. Don't live solely for someone else.

Lizzenah1

Honestly from personal experience I think it's difficult to advoid being attached whether in a serious way or a none committal way. What's more important, is the types of attachements you form with people and even more important the type of person you attach yourself to. Avoiding attachments that make you feel less of you.

Anonymous
December 2nd, 2016 3:10am

Do you feel like you have a pattern of uncontrollable dependency on people? How do you define "getting too attached"? In many regards, becoming attached to a person is a natural process, whether that person is family, friend, or love, as proof of mutual bonding over a long period of time or powerful incident. However, if you feel a sense of anxiety, loss, depression, self-insecurity, anger, frustration, or guilt from being apart from a person in normal day-to-day circumstances, you may have formed an unhealthy dependency. That's okay - what's really important is that you are trying to figure it out now and asking these questions. When we become dependent on someone, it may be because we are seeking validation from outside sources - and feel we are not validated when we are without those source. That could be a sign that we aren't validating ourselves enough - we aren't our own best friend yet, we aren't actively supporting ourselves, or we don't trust our own opinions. This could be occuring even within someone who is an extrovert or very confident in themselves. Think about the reasons why you think you need other people to be happy. Think about what is missing emotionally when people are around, and if there is anyway you can provide that to yourself. In the meantime, you can try to slighlty change your social patterns to see if mixing things up can help you shake your dependencies. Alternatively, if someone is accusing you of becoming attached and you are confused by this accusation, it may be that the acuser is uncomfortable in some way and having trouble communicating that and so they are lashing out. Ultimately, only you know if you are (a) truly becoming dependent on people in unhealthy ways, (b) why you feel you need that, and (c) what you can do to change those patterns. Good luck!

wanderlogan

Getting attached to people isn't necessarily a bad thing, it shows that you're passionate. However if it turns to a point where it's negatively affecting you and your relationships with friends or potential love interests, then it might be best to separate yourself and ask yourself a few questions about these people; Do I know them? What do I actually like about them? Do they care about me? Am I relying on the comfort of another to make me happy? These are all important questions.

CloudsCanShine

There is a difference between becoming attached to people and overly attached, or too attached too quickly. Merely a matter of equivalence. What you are giving in accordance to what they are. An imbalance is not particularly healthy.

Oval

There's nothing wrong about getting close to a lot of people, but a lot of people try to distance themselves somewhat in order to 'keep their heart off their sleeve' and make sure they don't get heartbroken. The best way to make sure you aren't 'hugging' everyone super close all the time is to nicely, calmly, and cautiously meet them. Once you trust them it's not a big deal, but until you know the kind of person they are... Just make sure you're cautious. And hey, sometimes people are deceiving. You're not the one to blame if you got attached and got hurt because of it.

MeganR21017

Attachment is normal. It's a mechanism of survival, but it can certainly be frustrating to become attached to people who may not be good for us. Setting up boundaries early on in any relationship or encounter with someone can help you keep from getting caught up in the emotions. I would look to someone who knows a lot on the subject and try to learn about healthy boundaries with others.

Anonymous

Attachment is an automatic, natural process. Being too attached is not a bad thing, unless you are attached to the wrong people. In order to avoid being overly attached, you could spend less time with the person, or hand out with more different people, so that you wont have your mind set on one person. I hope this helps.

AravindSudev

Most of us are conditioned to see attachment and love as inseparable. So even if we want to be emotionally detached we cannot do so because if we do so that means we can never love those people. In reality, when you are able to love people without attachment , you will find that it is the purest form of love. It doesn't give you happiness it brings you joy. While happiness is dualistic in nature and is always followed with the eventual sadness of separation, joy is not. Joy is a constant state of being that comes from within. In order to keep yourself from getting attached to people, make a conscious effort to remove expectations you have of people. Even in the relationships you already have, take a step back and evaluate the expectations that you have already placed on them. Once you get rid of the expectations you enter this state where you are absolutely free and detached while loving those around you evermore

sereneStrawberry33

I'm not sure. Perhaps just keep in mind that we all have some attachment to each other and the world, and that there is no need to feel overly attached to someone in particular until you get close to them. If you focus on something else, while dealing with the reason you are getting attached too quickly or closely, that may help too. Also, don't assume that thing attached is a bad thing. If we were not attached to people we would not have any loyalty.

Anonymous
March 2nd, 2017 8:57am

When we cannot fulfil our own needs, we tend to depend on others to fulfil these needs for us. Examples of these needs may include needs for validation or a need to be "cured" of loneliness. When you feel negative feelings associated with these expectations of your friends that they do not achieve, perhaps it would prove beneficial to record your thoughts and feelings, recognise them (don't ignore them!), and analyse why you might feel this way, and if there were any characteristic triggers that continually made you develop these feelings. Communication with these people on setting up healthy boundaries and clarifying what your own boundaries are can help you evaluate and change how you relate to people. Check out 7cup's self-help resources on Boundaries and Managing Emotions, hopefully it would you give you new insights!

KatSu02

It's not really something you can control. People have feelings and some of them can't control their feelings because they care too much, I think time makes you learn from your own mistakes and makes you become more defensive over your own feelings.

peacefulkat

You could space yourself away from them, don't tell them everything. Be civil and try to keep personal things to yourself.

KingdomWorker

I keep myself from getting to attached to people because I have been hurt so many times in life. I have come to the conclusion that we are all human and we all make mistakes. But if I focus on myself and how I relate to others, I don't get concerned about getting attached to them. I only concern myself with getting to know them.

beautifulPeace50

Maybe by setting boundaries and limitations. Being objective and goal oriented rather being open emotionally

floralprouvaire

Taking small steps toward self-sufficiency helps. If you know you can function without others, you may not find yourself clinging to them as much. Also, not idealizing people is hard, but helps.

Recent Answers
GinaLorna

A tough one, because as humans we naturally have the ability to fall in love or feel an affection to another person. You can only but look for the warning signals - if they are using you and you know they are, you have to step away. If they are mean or trying to be manipulative, you will feel that and probably know it in your heart and mind - so try to step away. Just always be aware I guess, not everyone is a bad person but we must listen to our instincts with the bad apples.

unbiasedbee

Relying on your own self worth and being confident in yourself is a good start. Be independent. You are good enough and if the other person can not accept or see that, you're only hurting yourself.

Turtleboy1995

Atachment is a way of life. Everyone becomes atached to someone. The only way to avoid it is to avoid people or just dont talk to other people.

dionep

Getting too attached to people is because you rely on them and need them for things, that maybe you can't find in yourself; or if you can't help yourself and rely on them to help you. That's not right, no matter how much you love that person, it's always the best that you rely on yourself and know yourself to the point, when you don't search for help in others, because you'be got in yourself.

Janisa

Hmm you dont, and you can't. I tried actually. I am so easily attached to people, but when I tried to distant myself from people so I wont get too attach, and I just end up pushing people away. I mean, for me personally, I don't know how to not get attach and not pushing people away at the same time. Getting attach to me is not what you wanted to do or not, it is natural, it just happened so I just let it be.

Anonymous

How do you know this person? Are they a friend, a relative, or an associate? Think about your own relationship with this person and how you know one another. Is this a person you know anything about? Consider your own thoughts and feelings, while keeping theirs in mind as well as to where you both stand in your personal relationship.