My anxiety is getting worse and depression won't let me live my life, how do I overcome this?

76 Answers.
kaitykait

There's many things you can start by seeing a therapist and even working here on 7Cups, but it's important to start with this statement. Every morning when you wake up, look in your mirror and say, "My depression and anxiety is not who I am. My depression and anxiety is only temporary and I will overcome this. I will not let my depression and anxiety define me. I am allowed to feel sad and anxious, but I will not feel this way forever." If you say that to yourself three times a day for a week, you might already start seeing results!

Anonymous

If certain emotions begain to take over your life you should seek medical help. We all have these emotions but when they get out of hand it can be dangerous

ParasolGirl

I've been dealing with depression for almost eight years, so I know how difficult it is to overcome. In general, taking a good combination of medications and finding a talk therapist whom I really connect with have been key to my feeling better, though it took me a long time to find the right medications and therapist. Having some idea of the root of your anxiety and meditation may help you find a therapist who is a good fit for you; many therapists have short biographies posted on Psychology Today, so that is a good place to start. If you can't or don't feel you want to seek professional help at this time, there are also things you can do to ease the negative feelings, such as practicing mindfulness and meditation. I initially thought meditation wasn't for me, but then I discovered the buddhify app, which has a great variety of meditations for different situations, and it's really starting to click for me. If you find that a certain meditation app or speaker isn't helping you, you can always try another one, because you are unique and what works for other people might not work for you. I also suggest making a list of comfort activities -- small, easy things you can do that may help you feel better in the moment, such as making a cup of tea or coloring in a coloring book. I also suggest eliminating social media as much as possible. I found that Facebook was actually worsening my depression, and I feel a lot better when I restrict myself from using it. Finally, joining a support group, either online or in real life, may help, because you hear a number of different perspectives and may have a greater chance of hearing something that works for you. Overcoming anxiety and depression is not easy, and for most people, there is no "magic bullet" that will fix it, but starting to take small steps, along with getting the proper support, will point you in the right direction. Best of luck to you.

HazelGreenEyez

Fill your schedule with things you like to do and social events with friends and family. This will help distract yourself from the negative thoughts and possible loneliness that are causing the depression and soothe your anxiety by doing something positive and even relaxing.

Anonymous

Have you considered a psychologist, or maybe even a psychiatrist. Some people need medication to reduce anxiety and depression, and that is perfectly okay. You can also eat a healthy diet, and exercise.

Anonymous

You overcome your depression by first going to see an counselor and psychiatrist. You can get therapy and talk about what's on your mind and the psychiatrist can prescribe you medications. You can also take deep breaths, write in journals, listen to soft music, pray and meditate to help you with the process of healing.

Tiffany88

Visit with a therapist. Start making short term goals that you can accomplish. Whenever you accomplish what you've set out to do give yourself recognition. Set long term goals and work towards them at a realistic pace.

Sparklies

Recovery can be a very slow and almost painful process, and it involves taking so many steps and making so many life changes. It would be wrong of me to say what you should do, but there's many resources and self-help guides on here and around the internet so that you can put together ways to help you cope and eventually get better :)

Anonymous

everyday try and find ten positive things that you have noticed, or done yourself. this worked for me

KittenLove

I take one day at a time while I try to take a hold of what that is causing me to feel that way, before I then take one step forward for each time I am able to move forwards.

Anonymous

Breath and relax. Do some meditation like yoga and push ourself to do outside activites like jogging or even just smilling at neighbour. It can rebuild our self esteem

TrendingUpwards
November 22nd, 2016 1:53am

I always find that breaking everything down into little steps is very important. Depression can be so overwhelming, and anxiety that sometimes we just shut down all together at the thought of having to 'live normally' give yourself time. Take baby steps. Start by getting in the shower, taking care of yourself a little more. Even if it just means putting moisturiser on, and having a good look at yourself in the mirror. Write something down every day that you are grateful for, try and go for a walk each day. When you feel bouts of anxiety, remember to breathe. I think the only way to start to overcome these two really difficult conditions is to have compassion towards yourself. Treat yourself like a friend, heal yourself. Beating yourself up about it will have the opposite affect. you don't have to love yourself yet, but have sympathy and care for yourself, thats the only way forward.

Anonymous

Seek help, you deserve support and acceptance. Keep yourself motivated and invest in hobbies that make you happy, find a purpose in life and a passion.

Anonymous

If it's that bad try talking to your doctor and get medication, or talk to a thearapist and get help from your own space. Whatever you do, it will be okay in the end. I promise

ACESiT

If it has taken over your life, the best thing you can do is call a hotline (not all hotlines are for suicidal thoughts) or get a therapist.

Anonymous

Seek medical assistance via a therapist right away. If you are unable to do that, reach out to anyone in your family or circle of friends and tell them that you have been depressed for a while and need help; they may be able to support you into finding a therapist or medication so you can get back on track.

helpfulHeart67

I'm only a trained listener that's here to sympathize with you. I noticed you said that depression won't let you live your life. I suggest you seek help from a professional person.

Anonymous

Medication, lots of sleep, exercise, scheduling, getting out to get some fresh air, introduce some routine into your life Etc.

Anonymous

Avoid thinking about your anxiety and your depression try to fill your schedule with good things that can make you happy distract yourself by doing good things that might be helpful you will see a progress by time..do things for yourself draw,workout,paint,write& meditate

ListeningBunny22

Your anxiety and depression? Please explain better, If you do open up on your routine, I'll be sure to help. Thank you

MissMonMon

If your anxiety and depression is getting to much for you to handle, seek professional help. Seeing a professional counsellor or psychologist can allow you time to work on coping strategies and build up a support network. You have the strength, just find someone who can pull that strength out of you and help guide you back onto the right path.

baffledplatypus

Breath through it. Sounds silly I know, but breathing. Taking just a few moments to just breath. To feel my life, to just stay for a moment and live. For no one and nothing but myself. To take that time, no matter what to just stop, stay and breath.

caringCaramel

You are depressed ? Depression is a state of mind where you don't want to do anything and anxiety is a feeling of something with unknown outcome !! Best solution to of them at the same time - DO THE THINGS YOU *FEAR*.... The feeling of happiness you get when You do something you fear is very immense... This kills your anxiety and pulls you out of the depression..

plantkissed

Depression and anxiety are really difficult to deal with and are things I continue to struggle with. I know that finding a therapist I trusted and could open up to really helped, and she was able to help me find a psychiatrist who evaluated me for meds. Those made it more manageable, but doing things I really enjoyed made me feel better as well, especially getting outdoors to do things like hike. I wish you the very best and hope this helps!

exquisiteLion14

How have you seen your anxiety and depression have gotten worse? Have you spoken to someone about this?

blackstar

Seeking professional help will definitely get you on the right track, it's a start. And you've already made the first step, admitting/acknowledging the problem. Talk to a parent or a trained professional or both. They can help you.

Anonymous

Try and seek help from someone who is a professional look for outlets to vent write a letter to yourself ask for help

Anonymous

Humility, Acceptance and Tolerance. Everyday is a hardship, but a lesson to be learned. Let your mind expand with each day. With each passing seek nothing but the light in your mind that keeps you going. I wish you luck, I seek nothing but your prosperity in the near future. Stay strong.

AdmirableTree

Becoming more aware of your thoughts through journaling and mind maps and challenging them with your actions.

Nisee96

I think that you should speak to a professional. The 7 Cups Of Tea website has therapists you can speak to who can give you advice. And help you through this!

ThatsCherry

Talking to someone helps always. But also doing something with your friends / family or listening to music is nice.

energizingPicture66

seeking a doctor, and learning self care and speaking to people we trust can help with depression and anxiety. I have personally found deep breathing may not change the situation, but it is very helpful just to distract enough to get through the moment.

llauren90

In my experience, getting close with some furry friends is a great way to help. If you can't own a pet, try going to your local shelter and offering to walk the dogs or play with the kittens. Most places allow this. Feeling unconditional love from animals is a great way to reconnect and feel like you're making a difference.

WNoelle10

Talk to someone. Either find someone that you already know and trust, and ask for some one-on-one time with them. Be brave and ask for help from them. Or, if you’d rather talk with someone you do not know, do some research about counselors or therapists in the area. Coping skills will prove helpful with your anxiety, and feeling like someone understands you will be a great first step in dealing with the depression.

Anonymous

Carrying things that make you most comfortable with you while you go out are things that I've found the most helpful, if it's something you can't carry because of size or weight, you can snap a picture and save it as your home screen on your phone, so whenever you go on your phone to distract yourself, the warming image is there to greet you!

brigettebee

Try seeing a therapist for help or a doctor for medication. At home, you can also do some mindfulness meditation (you can find this on YouTube or download an app called Calm), or do any activity that relaxes you such as exercise, listening to music, venting to a friend, etc

LittleDesii

It's not easy. I say it a lot, but the best thing to do is take it one day at a time, and make sure you have the time you need to care for yourself.

Anonymous

Take up a new hobby! It may not seem like much, but having something to care for and to be excited about can really help low mood.

Anonymous

Its just another phase of life. Time heals everything. Keep distracting yourself from thoughts that will make you sad. Do what you like most. :)

BlaireMack198

One of the best ways I know of is talking to a trustworthy adult, your parents or some friends about how you're feeling, talking things out can often lead to things getting better in your life because you will feel more supported

healingPup26

preofessional help. it wont work right away, and you need to find the right things that help you. start with family doctor or counselor, then go from there.

Anonymous

You are fine. There are a bunch of things you can do. Have you tried writing down your feelings, thought by thought? Try that. Also, 7 Cups has nice Meditation-type exercises, especially for Anxiety, too: http://www.7cups.com/exercises/mindfulness/?showlist=1 Check out the "Anxiety," and "Uncategorized" sections.

Kelleyd83
October 22nd, 2016 5:26am

Sometimes we can't do everything on our own. Sometimes we have to rely on something bigger than ourselves to help us "change" or "transform". Not everything can be fixed by waving a magic wand. Some things take time and work. The Buddhists call it "effortless effort". This is the practice of meditation, and it is both relying on a "higher power" to mend your broken bones, while at the same time driving towards your goals.

CassandraLouise

By seeking professional help will help you overcome the worst of anxiety and depression, after this you can learn how to prevent it, positive thinking and healthy lifestyle are all ways to keep on track!

melancholiaa

surround yourself with positivity. its the one way that will lead to to being better. once you have enough positivity in your life, it'll be easier to work on yourself. (:

Anonymous

Hmmm it depends on the person,and situation. You can speak to a trusted adult or a trusted friend and seek help

Anonymous

When I was going through the anxiety phase, I was thinking only negative thoughts and those thoughts were worsening my condition more and more leading to depression. My focus was totally on my weakness, I was not seeing what good I have. My mind got entangled in a loop of negativity but I wanted to be free from all this. I learned mindfulness technique that helped in analysing the issue from different angel. I learned that if I am feeling anxious than something need to change in my action. I was doing something that wasn't worth, and leading to same results which gave me weird feelings. I did self introspection and started solving the problem. Yes it took some time to win the battle, as again and again that loop comes back to you and you need to break it no matter what.

originalbraveheart63

You can overcome this by meeting a therapist, that is the best method to exactly find out what can be improved and how can u make feel urself better.

Anonymous

Try to concentrate on the good things in life and spend most of your time by doing it. Try to keep your mind off of the bad things and try to take back control.

Anonymous

The first step you can take is find out which is the root of the problem, is it anxiety or depression that's causing the other. Once you know that work on fixing it, maybe trying to reduce depression by reading inspirational quotes or watching comical movies etc or maybe remove anxiety by living in the moment and trying to improve the present so the future wouldn't need so much worry, or any other way you'd like to. Once you decide on fixing it, that itself will show you the way :) hope it helped!

JustTuTu

Practicing relaxation constantly is definitely an aid. When we give our bodies the chance to relax, the chemicals that our brain produces in excess, and which can be harmful certain times, are flushed or decreased. Just having the excess of these chemicals taken out of our system brings a sense of relief to the body and allows for the mind to function more freely. Once our minds are "freed" from the tyranny of the brain chemicals it is up to us to choose our next steps, such as selecting what behaviors we will feed from that moment on, and so on... Sometimes we have to give our brains the chance to produce healthy/positive chemicals too, and allow our bodies to learn a way to counter the former situation. This may become a daily exercise. We need to discipline our bodies and allow our minds to not be entirely bound to our organic functions or dysfunctions.

Nova190

You need to find someone to listen to you and think about who you are and how you know you are strong to overcome it. You are your own unique person, make the right decision and even if you don't, learn from your mistakes. Become stronger and wiser as you grow as a person

theblueocean

I'm sorry you feel this way. To be honest the best way to overcome this is to get the help you need and deserve. Talk to a therapist. They can help you the best. I know it costs money, but your happiness is the most valuable thing in life. The first step is hard, I know that. It took me 2 years to reach out for help, but that was the best decision I made in life. I'm not there yet, I'm not recovered. But I'm on my way to being recovered and that's the only thing that counts. I hope you will get there soon! You deserve it and you're worth it.

Scenery420

Coping strategies are very important to dealing with daily stress and anxiety. Finding the right method of coping may help you overcome, or at least lessen the anxiety. Personally, I like yoga.

JeanBalleine

Anxiety can generally be very frightening, most of the time, it's the thoughts that the anxiety causes that cause distress. Fortunately, It is easy to remind yourself that these thoughts weight no real value and are only a product of your anxiety. Your original self still exist, it is only temporarily buried under the anxiety, so as soon as the anxiety begins to lose its weight, your original self will come back :) As for depression, I think that most of the time, it is important for the sufferers to not let their feelings takeover their mind. Therefore, if someone feels down, it is important to seek the source of the feeling and fight the root cause, as for the symptoms, it's important to do soothing activities to help you change your mind; taking a hot bath, a walk in the forest, aromatherapy, etc... :)

intelligentPeace51
February 1st, 2017 9:10pm

I find by acknowledging my anxiety and depression when it arises it puts me back in control. If I feel anxiety coming on I think to myself "Oh, this is anxiety". Once I've acknowledged it for what it really is, moving on becomes easier. It takes practice over time but it is a good start to overcoming this tough obstacle. Best of luck and lots of love to you.

radiantIceCream67

It's the little things. Those small things you look at and just know they're going to make you feel better. Know what your anxiety triggers are, and work to overcome them, make list of what you have to do to avoid that anxious feeling. Find something new so you don't shut down and end up in bed, fill the void, find what makes you happy.

cactusmilk

Try speaking to a counselor or psychologist to help them understand and support you. If that works then you should be able to cope better with your anxiety and depression.

Anonymous

Anxiety and depression affects the way you act towards things. Every time you feel it affecting you, breathe deeply and think of a time when you were happy. Transport yourself and sink into the happiness. Remember that you are stronger than this and there is so much you have done. There is a purpose for everything, and know that anxiety and depression can not destroy it.

imsandeep

Immediately consult a psychiatrist and get a advice from him. He/She will guide you based upon your problem

Recent Answers
NotKhan

It is a little hard to say, but I have found going outside all. the. time. helps tremendously. Not where there are people, mind you, but anywhere with trees and a good amount of space. Anxiety gives me the feeling of being crowded/smothered, so going where there is space to roam helps me. Depression's a tad more difficult for me. Going outside during the night seems to help, moving around in general helps. Maybe try writing out the good things that have happened, even if they're tiny, tiny things, like seeing a puppy, eating a favorite meal, noticing a teensy flower. To paraphrase, look for the good, and accept the bad

Nasrz8

This happens because you allow your mind to have the energy to think negatively about everything that can cause your status. to overcome this, you should start distracting your mind into something you've never done before. like Traveling, exercising, learning new language/hobby.

Anonymous

Have you tried consulting a professional regarding the difficult times you're facing on your own now?

Ruek

I think the best thing is to seek professional help. There are so many great therapists and counselors who will help you go through this challenging time. Best of luck.

Anonymous

Manage your anxiety, manage your life! Anxiety often takes away the enjoyment of life (much like depression does.) Anxious feelings prevent us from living in the moment and is physically uncomfortable. It takes away our enjoyment of hobbies, exercise, even breathing can be affected by anxiety and it can make us miserable. This can be treated with medication, relaxing mental practices, yoga, or anything that seems to help reduce anxiety. Depression can also be treated in a similar way.

Anonymous

Something that helped me was finding something I really enjoyed doing, such as playing music or journaling, and I did that whenever I felt myself start to become overwhelmed. While doing these activities, I would end up not thinking about my depression. I find that focusing on a task that involves using your brain during the entire process helps me.

SpeakFriendAndOpen

First get help, I know its a cliché but admitting you have a problem really is the first step to the solution.

lovelyKitty21

When the anxiety gets in the way of making everyday decisions and depression makes me blue it is hard to keep facing day-to-day living. I left work and drove straight to my doctor and asked for help. After a low dosage of anxiety/depression medication I could think more clearly.

Fillorian

I think you should seek help if it's that serious, you can't just ignore it..I've been there and I too thought I won't need help but the moment I had it everything changed for the better

Anonymous

I was always saved by my pets, Pets are great shock absorbers for people going through depression. Take a new hobby to kill your idle time, don't sit in endless loop of thoughts get up and take a walk. Journal your thoughts to see what triggers your depression more. Talk to close circle of friends who are ready to help.

neverendingWatermelon92

I suggest talking to a trusted family member, friend or doctor about how anxiety and depression are stopping you from living your life and see what they suggest. Alternatively, you can connect with a therapist on 7 Cups and see what they think. All the best!

Positivefutuream

Think about what is making your depression and anxiety affect you. Then think about receiving professional help. Remember there is nothing wrong with needing help!

mumuxy

Depression is the worst feeling ever, take baby steps, start with getting rid of the things/people that make you depressed then start meeting optimistic people and do exciting things, go out, do sports,travel and by time your depression will go away and you will view the world differently.

Vronica23

It's very important when anxiety and depression are interfering with your day to day life to reach out to a professional. If this is so, it could mean that you need medication or therapy to deal with these disorders, and that is okay. A mental illness should be treated with the same amount of concern as a broken arm, you can not heal it on your own without seeking a doctor. However, in the mean time, there are several resource you can use to help ease your anxiety. Besides 7Cups, which is a wonderful way to take a first step in reaching out, I like to use the SAM app for anxiety. It provides so many techniques to help combat anxiety, even a help now button, for realistic exercises you can do right on your phone to help easy feelings of anxiety and panic. Most importantly, remember that there is always someone there willing to listen.

peacefulkat

Try talking to a professional therapist and try getting the help you need. Try doing things to that you like and get out of your comfort zone. Don't worry about anything and focus on how you will make your life better.

Rambleonrose
April 2nd, 2017 10:35am

First thing is; think POSITIVE. I know this is really hard to actually do, but you have to force yourself to thinking positive. Don't think things like 'depression is not letting me live my life'. Think things like 'depression is certainly making it hard to live my life, but I am strong and I can overcome this and fight it.' As for the anxiety, think of what the reality is, not what the reality COULD be. Also, I advise you to look up 'mental distortions'. It is a list of distorted ways someone may think when battling a mental illness, and I'm sure you may see some relevance in reading those.