My anxiety is getting worse and depression won't let me live my life, how do I overcome this?

114 Answers.
Top Rated Answer
kaitykait
There's many things you can start by seeing a therapist and even working here on 7Cups, but it's important to start with this statement. Every morning when you wake up, look in your mirror and say, "My depression and anxiety is not who I am. My depression and anxiety is only temporary and I will overcome this. I will not let my depression and anxiety define me. I am allowed to feel sad and anxious, but I will not feel this way forever." If you say that to yourself three times a day for a week, you might already start seeing results!
Newest Answer
tomsterling
Anxiety can cause and aggravate a lot of health problems. Anxiety often comes and goes. Anxiety is a state of fear of real or imagined danger, which is manifested as increased heart rate, trembling, panic, weakness, extreme fatigue and stomach or intestinal discomfort. Anxiety, depression, nervousness, worry or stress can cause over 100 symptoms or health problems as in a web search for "over 100 anxiety symptoms". Prescription medication for anxiety, stress, nervousness, depression and worry can give you bad side effects so natural remedies are often much better.

Take our free test to better understand yourself and Depression

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
ParasolGirl
I've been dealing with depression for almost eight years, so I know how difficult it is to overcome. In general, taking a good combination of medications and finding a talk therapist whom I really connect with have been key to my feeling better, though it took me a long time to find the right medications and therapist. Having some idea of the root of your anxiety and meditation may help you find a therapist who is a good fit for you; many therapists have short biographies posted on Psychology Today, so that is a good place to start. If you can't or don't feel you want to seek professional help at this time, there are also things you can do to ease the negative feelings, such as practicing mindfulness and meditation. I initially thought meditation wasn't for me, but then I discovered the buddhify app, which has a great variety of meditations for different situations, and it's really starting to click for me. If you find that a certain meditation app or speaker isn't helping you, you can always try another one, because you are unique and what works for other people might not work for you. I also suggest making a list of comfort activities -- small, easy things you can do that may help you feel better in the moment, such as making a cup of tea or coloring in a coloring book. I also suggest eliminating social media as much as possible. I found that Facebook was actually worsening my depression, and I feel a lot better when I restrict myself from using it. Finally, joining a support group, either online or in real life, may help, because you hear a number of different perspectives and may have a greater chance of hearing something that works for you. Overcoming anxiety and depression is not easy, and for most people, there is no "magic bullet" that will fix it, but starting to take small steps, along with getting the proper support, will point you in the right direction. Best of luck to you.
RayofHope
Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.
Anonymous
If certain emotions begain to take over your life you should seek medical help. We all have these emotions but when they get out of hand it can be dangerous
caringCaramel
You are depressed ? Depression is a state of mind where you don't want to do anything and anxiety is a feeling of something with unknown outcome !! Best solution to of them at the same time - DO THE THINGS YOU *FEAR*.... The feeling of happiness you get when You do something you fear is very immense... This kills your anxiety and pulls you out of the depression..
HazelGreenEyez
Fill your schedule with things you like to do and social events with friends and family. This will help distract yourself from the negative thoughts and possible loneliness that are causing the depression and soothe your anxiety by doing something positive and even relaxing.
Anonymous
Have you considered a psychologist, or maybe even a psychiatrist. Some people need medication to reduce anxiety and depression, and that is perfectly okay. You can also eat a healthy diet, and exercise.
Anonymous
You overcome your depression by first going to see an counselor and psychiatrist. You can get therapy and talk about what's on your mind and the psychiatrist can prescribe you medications. You can also take deep breaths, write in journals, listen to soft music, pray and meditate to help you with the process of healing.
Tiffany88
Visit with a therapist. Start making short term goals that you can accomplish. Whenever you accomplish what you've set out to do give yourself recognition. Set long term goals and work towards them at a realistic pace.
Sparklies
Recovery can be a very slow and almost painful process, and it involves taking so many steps and making so many life changes. It would be wrong of me to say what you should do, but there's many resources and self-help guides on here and around the internet so that you can put together ways to help you cope and eventually get better :)
Anonymous
everyday try and find ten positive things that you have noticed, or done yourself. this worked for me
Anonymous
If it's that bad try talking to your doctor and get medication, or talk to a thearapist and get help from your own space. Whatever you do, it will be okay in the end. I promise
plantkissed
Depression and anxiety are really difficult to deal with and are things I continue to struggle with. I know that finding a therapist I trusted and could open up to really helped, and she was able to help me find a psychiatrist who evaluated me for meds. Those made it more manageable, but doing things I really enjoyed made me feel better as well, especially getting outdoors to do things like hike. I wish you the very best and hope this helps!
Anonymous
Breath and relax. Do some meditation like yoga and push ourself to do outside activites like jogging or even just smilling at neighbour. It can rebuild our self esteem
TrendingUpwards
November 22nd, 2016 1:53am
I always find that breaking everything down into little steps is very important. Depression can be so overwhelming, and anxiety that sometimes we just shut down all together at the thought of having to 'live normally' give yourself time. Take baby steps. Start by getting in the shower, taking care of yourself a little more. Even if it just means putting moisturiser on, and having a good look at yourself in the mirror. Write something down every day that you are grateful for, try and go for a walk each day. When you feel bouts of anxiety, remember to breathe. I think the only way to start to overcome these two really difficult conditions is to have compassion towards yourself. Treat yourself like a friend, heal yourself. Beating yourself up about it will have the opposite affect. you don't have to love yourself yet, but have sympathy and care for yourself, thats the only way forward.
KittenLove
I take one day at a time while I try to take a hold of what that is causing me to feel that way, before I then take one step forward for each time I am able to move forwards.
ThatsCherry
Talking to someone helps always. But also doing something with your friends / family or listening to music is nice.
healingPup26
preofessional help. it wont work right away, and you need to find the right things that help you. start with family doctor or counselor, then go from there.
Anonymous
Have you tried consulting a professional regarding the difficult times you're facing on your own now?
Nasrz8
This happens because you allow your mind to have the energy to think negatively about everything that can cause your status. to overcome this, you should start distracting your mind into something you've never done before. like Traveling, exercising, learning new language/hobby.
Recent Answers
Livelovedream18
June 2nd, 2018 12:08am
You have to find the positives in life. You have a purpose to live but not just you, everyone does. You can talk to me about it if you want.
caringNight18
You can overcome depression by talking to a professional counselor. It may not always help short-term, but it can help you on the long term. If that is too much for you now, you can talk to the listeners on 7cups.
Anonymous
find an outlet- one of them can be talking to someone, like a therapist. You can color, draw, listen to music... as for depression, you can get medication for it. in fact, you can get medication for anxiety, as well.
Anonymous
Contact a professional therapist or your GP about the issues and start going to therapy. Sometimes you can be prescribed medication. Another alternative is to reach out to friends, join a community or talk to people online.
blissfulEyes47
You will overcome it! Be positive and take your time you can’t just sleep on it and your depression and anxiety will go. You need to distract your self and do activities like tennis and also speak to someone and get as much support you can.
meiixae
As someone who has experienced these things, I think it would be best to focus on something other than your anxiety and depression. For instance, hanging out with someone close or gaining/having a hobby. Also, if it gets really bad, I find that it is nice to talk about it to someone. If the idea of sharing these things makes you uncomfortable, then you can always do it anonymously. I think just letting it out can bring some of the weight off of your shoulders.
Anonymous
Try talking to an trusted adult or friend.Think only Happy and positive things and do things that make you happy
ardentAuthoress
Focus on the happy things in life, no matter how small they are. I promise that it gets better after that.
Anonymous
Getting in contact with a professional, such as a therapist or psychologist will help to solve this problem. Having an expert to support you will make it easier for you to deal with anxiety and depression, knowing that there will always be someone to guide you and be there for you. If you have been prescribed medicine to help you, don’t forget to take them as instructed. One important thing to remember is that your self esteem and confidence will impact how you feel. By improving these, you will find it easier as you will remember that you aren’t worthless.
Anonymous
Try speaking to a trusted adult/friend or maybe your GP and see if they can help?? have you considered therapy at medication??
Anonymous
Find something to focus on like colouring or a new interest and really focus. I found that by going to a boxing club my mind didn't have time to think as I was beating out my frustrations and sooner or later my mood started to lift!
Anonymous
first of all, if it’s getting worse and worse, you should get some professional help and i can’t give you any special advice because everybody is different.
ruedabega13
I would really suggest going to a psychologist or psychiatrist! It really helped lessen my debilitating depression and anxiety.
KindaKate88
Well logic the rapper says that the mind controls the body, a change in mindset is helpful I believe. But he also said by accepting yourself you can learn to overcome or live with anxiety. Song is called anziety if your interested.
Anonymous
See if you wanna overcome it... You should try getting into some self help stuff which might help you... Like reading self help books on emotional intelligence ....there are also many youtube channels like Actualized.org which might help... It's gonna be a long journey some days you also might feel like giving up but don't because at the end it's gonna be worth the struggle... Hope it helps you.... All The Best on your journey
scoobydoobydont
Learn how to tell the difference between healthy and unhealthy thoughts. Come up with a way to negate those unhealthy thoughts and turn them into neutral thoughts or better yet positive ones. I know it's hard but try your best to do three things everyday, for example cook a meal, do dishes, go to the grocery store. Small accomplishments are important. Happiness may not be in your reached but we can at least distract ourselves from sadness and try to feel like a person again.
debojyoti012
Anxiety is a healthy and normal emotion that everyone feels from time to time. Anxiety can, however, manifest to a mental disorder that reduces your capacity to cope with these feelings of anxiety. When trying to overcome anxiety you should not try to eliminate your feelings of anxiety but should aim to develop your coping mechanisms when you do feel anxiety. Having the ability to cope with anxious thought is the key to overcoming anxiety.
Kaceface
Anxiety and depression are two very difficult illnesses to overcome. You are an amazing and strong human being and you have the power to overcome situations just as well as anyone else. You can begin to tackle it by exercising safe ways to express yourself. Begin to use your favorite interests as an outlet, and perhaps try journaling or saying out loud to yourself how you feel. This is completely normal to feel a roadblock by depression and anxiety. However, do not let it consume you entirely. Take a deep breath, get outside of the house, and do the great, healthy things that make you feel alive so that you can stand strongly knowing you're still making it. Stay strong!
ThinkingTiger
You can fight the depression, either by applying positive pressure on yourself, in form of excersize, meditation, change of scenery, creative outlets or anything that makes you happy. The anxiety cannot be fought in a traditional way, as its like sinking in quicksand, here you need to meditate, expose yourself to the anxiety and learn to deal with it. You can also try to locate the root of the depression or anxiety, and deal with that direct on, though if the root is something thats not present, or something thats undealwithable, you have to tackle it differently.
Engineeringhappiness
focus on what makes you happy. you can do this! i believe in you! talk to someone and seek help. we are here to help.
Anonymous
If you're anxiety is getting worse and depression is holding you back at the same time, you can look for a friend or family member who can support you through this and provide necessary resources if you are in need of it and doing breathing excerises can ease your anxiety a bit too.
Anonymous
I hope you are in a position where you can get help from a professional and maybe a small group of supportive friends and family. It's hard to give the right answers when you don't know the person specific situation but that is okay you don't have to say. I have been going through the same thing and I can't afford to see a therapist, I do have my faith which help sometimes but I must admit its not a remedy yet. I think venting always help me, write down all your anxieties and fears and what may be going on in your life that may lead to your depression or made it worst.
MeganL91
It would be a good idea to speak to a professional therapist or doctor if you have not already. With proper psychotherapy (and possibly medication as well), you should be able to live a fulfilling and happy life.
PosiPotato
Step by step. 7 cups can help. Share your feelings with a trusting loved one (friend, teacher, mentor, family member, etc). Have you ever considered therapy?
neonJas7172
I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with anxiety and depression. I can relate. It's best to seek professional help with overcoming and managing these things. I am here to empathize and listen though!
ifyouknowtocountcountwithme
I would recommend to reach for help. I know this can be hard. But if you feel hopeless and demotivated I think it's the best to do. In this cases sounds like you are in a crisis.
Anonymous
Depression and anxiety can be such a difficult hurdle in life for many people; it's draining! Unfortunately, there is no magic we can do to cure anxiety or depression in one day. The best we can do is find things that we can do for self-care. (ie. art, music, exercise, meditation, making sure you take care of your hygiene.) Taking the time to recognize when you're feeling anxious and/or depressed is a step in the right direction, and using your coping skills when you feel this way is very brave.
Anonymous
Anxiety and depression can be really exhausting at times. There are always listeners on 7 cups, as well as professionals to reach out to. Do not be afraid to ask for help!
Anonymous
You need to talk to a professional. You need help and you deserve to feel happy and worthy. Getting help will ensure that you are getting the best treatment.