My anxiety is getting worse and depression won't let me live my life, how do I overcome this?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

kaitykait
There's many things you can start by seeing a therapist and even working here on 7Cups, but it's important to start with this statement. Every morning when you wake up, look in your mirror and say, "My depression and anxiety is not who I am. My depression and anxiety is only temporary and I will overcome this. I will not let my depression and anxiety define me. I am allowed to feel sad and anxious, but I will not feel this way forever." If you say that to yourself three times a day for a week, you might already start seeing results!
ParasolGirl
I've been dealing with depression for almost eight years, so I know how difficult it is to overcome. In general, taking a good combination of medications and finding a talk therapist whom I really connect with have been key to my feeling better, though it took me a long time to find the right medications and therapist. Having some idea of the root of your anxiety and meditation may help you find a therapist who is a good fit for you; many therapists have short biographies posted on Psychology Today, so that is a good place to start. If you can't or don't feel you want to seek professional help at this time, there are also things you can do to ease the negative feelings, such as practicing mindfulness and meditation. I initially thought meditation wasn't for me, but then I discovered the buddhify app, which has a great variety of meditations for different situations, and it's really starting to click for me. If you find that a certain meditation app or speaker isn't helping you, you can always try another one, because you are unique and what works for other people might not work for you. I also suggest making a list of comfort activities -- small, easy things you can do that may help you feel better in the moment, such as making a cup of tea or coloring in a coloring book. I also suggest eliminating social media as much as possible. I found that Facebook was actually worsening my depression, and I feel a lot better when I restrict myself from using it. Finally, joining a support group, either online or in real life, may help, because you hear a number of different perspectives and may have a greater chance of hearing something that works for you. Overcoming anxiety and depression is not easy, and for most people, there is no "magic bullet" that will fix it, but starting to take small steps, along with getting the proper support, will point you in the right direction. Best of luck to you.
Anonymous
If certain emotions begain to take over your life you should seek medical help. We all have these emotions but when they get out of hand it can be dangerous
caringCaramel
You are depressed ? Depression is a state of mind where you don't want to do anything and anxiety is a feeling of something with unknown outcome !! Best solution to of them at the same time - DO THE THINGS YOU *FEAR*.... The feeling of happiness you get when You do something you fear is very immense... This kills your anxiety and pulls you out of the depression..
HazelGreenEyez
Fill your schedule with things you like to do and social events with friends and family. This will help distract yourself from the negative thoughts and possible loneliness that are causing the depression and soothe your anxiety by doing something positive and even relaxing.
Nasrz8
This happens because you allow your mind to have the energy to think negatively about everything that can cause your status. to overcome this, you should start distracting your mind into something you've never done before. like Traveling, exercising, learning new language/hobby.
Anonymous
Have you considered a psychologist, or maybe even a psychiatrist. Some people need medication to reduce anxiety and depression, and that is perfectly okay. You can also eat a healthy diet, and exercise.
Anonymous
If it's that bad try talking to your doctor and get medication, or talk to a thearapist and get help from your own space. Whatever you do, it will be okay in the end. I promise
Anonymous
You overcome your depression by first going to see an counselor and psychiatrist. You can get therapy and talk about what's on your mind and the psychiatrist can prescribe you medications. You can also take deep breaths, write in journals, listen to soft music, pray and meditate to help you with the process of healing.
Tiffany88
Visit with a therapist. Start making short term goals that you can accomplish. Whenever you accomplish what you've set out to do give yourself recognition. Set long term goals and work towards them at a realistic pace.
Sparklies
Recovery can be a very slow and almost painful process, and it involves taking so many steps and making so many life changes. It would be wrong of me to say what you should do, but there's many resources and self-help guides on here and around the internet so that you can put together ways to help you cope and eventually get better :)
Anonymous
everyday try and find ten positive things that you have noticed, or done yourself. this worked for me
Anonymous
Breath and relax. Do some meditation like yoga and push ourself to do outside activites like jogging or even just smilling at neighbour. It can rebuild our self esteem
Anonymous
As soon as you will start living your life for yourself instead for others you will be at a better place.
plantkissed
Depression and anxiety are really difficult to deal with and are things I continue to struggle with. I know that finding a therapist I trusted and could open up to really helped, and she was able to help me find a psychiatrist who evaluated me for meds. Those made it more manageable, but doing things I really enjoyed made me feel better as well, especially getting outdoors to do things like hike. I wish you the very best and hope this helps!
TrendingUpwards
November 22nd, 2016 1:53am
I always find that breaking everything down into little steps is very important. Depression can be so overwhelming, and anxiety that sometimes we just shut down all together at the thought of having to 'live normally' give yourself time. Take baby steps. Start by getting in the shower, taking care of yourself a little more. Even if it just means putting moisturiser on, and having a good look at yourself in the mirror. Write something down every day that you are grateful for, try and go for a walk each day. When you feel bouts of anxiety, remember to breathe. I think the only way to start to overcome these two really difficult conditions is to have compassion towards yourself. Treat yourself like a friend, heal yourself. Beating yourself up about it will have the opposite affect. you don't have to love yourself yet, but have sympathy and care for yourself, thats the only way forward.
ardentAuthoress
Focus on the happy things in life, no matter how small they are. I promise that it gets better after that.
KittenLove
I take one day at a time while I try to take a hold of what that is causing me to feel that way, before I then take one step forward for each time I am able to move forwards.
ThatsCherry
Talking to someone helps always. But also doing something with your friends / family or listening to music is nice.
healingPup26
preofessional help. it wont work right away, and you need to find the right things that help you. start with family doctor or counselor, then go from there.
Anonymous
Have you tried consulting a professional regarding the difficult times you're facing on your own now?
faithlove1111
June 22nd, 2018 3:09am
Give yourself 1 hour. Sit by yourself and go over the things that are happening to you. Look from the outside and See yourself As this person who is going through this emotional roller cluster. What would you tell this person? Be kind, be realistic, be firm, be impartial and most importantly , be patient As you speak to yourself.
LonDree
I would suggest you to seek professional help because it did help me get better when I felt like I was at the brink.
Anonymous
Find support systems in your life such as family and friends who will understand and be there for you, also seeking professional help might be beneficial
Anonymous
It is best to talk about this to someone you trust. You may also can try writing it out. Letting things out
Anonymous
Overcoming both anxiety and depression is a very difficult struggle, and the path to recovery from both will be long, but its possible. At times the two of these things go hand in hand, and make overcoming each one more difficult, but if you tackle each problem, one that tends to hinder you more, step by step, you can reclaim your life, and you can reclaim your hobbies again, each is a process, but after finding the coping methods that work for you, and putting them into action when you need to, you can get yourself out of that struggle, and you can bring yourself to say, I did it, I beat my anxiety and depression, and don't fret if you relapse, relapses happen, just get back up on your feet, and try again, you got this, believe in your ability to get better and you will because the effort you put forth is the output you will receive in recovery. :D
peacefullistener22
Anxiety is a difficult thing to deal with and depending on its severity it can affect you throughout your days. There are often good days and bad days with people suffering from anxiety. This is similar with depression. Both conditions combined can make it even harder. I don't know if you are professionally diagnosed but if you aren't it's important to get this diagnosis. If you are there is help such as therapy out there. If this isn't an option, sport, a support network and doing things you enjoy can be a platform for you to improve your mental health.
Anonymous
Seek help, you deserve support and acceptance. Keep yourself motivated and invest in hobbies that make you happy, find a purpose in life and a passion.
ACESiT
If it has taken over your life, the best thing you can do is call a hotline (not all hotlines are for suicidal thoughts) or get a therapist.
Anonymous
Seek medical assistance via a therapist right away. If you are unable to do that, reach out to anyone in your family or circle of friends and tell them that you have been depressed for a while and need help; they may be able to support you into finding a therapist or medication so you can get back on track.