What do you do when you have no passion or drive?

118 Answers.
Top Rated Answer
Anonymous
Find motivation in other aspects of life - set yourself goals, recognise your achievements and understand your strengths and weaknesses, strive to make little steps and keep track of progress. Find interests in different areas of your life
Newest Answer
empathicWind77
My passion and drive come from the things I know to be my innate truths, the things that I hold most dearly. So when I feel out of connection with my passion or drive, I practice patience with myself and reconnect with my foundational beliefs and values. When I've had a nice, restorative bath in those, I find that my passion and drive just naturally occur like a geyser from the hot springs. I find passion to be something emergent that I have to create the right conditions for, like creating a meadow for a cautious deer to graze in.

Want to better understand yourself?

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
LC1225
I could sit here and try to motivate you or tell you poetic things that give you hope but unfortunately I too am wondering the same thing. I lost my passion, my drive, more than three years ago and I go to bed every night hoping that when I wake up in the morning, my life will go back to the way it used to be. I think the best things for us to do is to keep searching for what drives us and what brings out our passion. We must try different things and stay positive. It's not easy but I hope it will be worth it someday. I wish you the best of luck. -LC
EarsForYou
Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.
Anonymous
When I have no passion or drive, I tend to get pen and paper to write. When I have so much going on in my head that I lose the ability to do anything, getting it out, onto paper, tends to help organize the mess that's in my mind. Writing also invokes passion as I become more and more animated the more I write!
Anonymous
I found myself having no passion or drive in life as a whole a few months back. It had been this way for a long time, and after some reflection I realized that it was because I was self-defeating. I love writing, I love going out and doing things- but I was doing none of that because before taking the first step my brain said "What's the point- you won't ever get it done." To get over it, I committed to writing and working out by making a no-excuse schedule. Unless there was an emergency or urgent matter, I would commit to this schedule and do what I wanted to do. It worked. I have over 20 documents relating to my novel now, and I have gained a good amount of weight from building muscle. The hardest part was getting up and taking the first step, and recognizing my inner problem. After recognizing it, facing that inner issue was something I had to force myself to do- and want to do it. There's no way to do that for someone else, but recognizing the issue itself can always help.
GeorgieCunningham
September 2nd, 2016 2:31am
I give myself time to wallow, but put a limit on it. One day allowed for staying in bed procrastinating and moping, but one day only! Then its time to motivate myself with upbeat music, a deep house clean and treating myself to some new stationary to make all my to-do lists. I also make mood boards to remind me of why I'm doing what I'm doing and that really helps drive me forward.
Anonymous
You should think about the things you used to like when you were a kid. IMagine you could create a perfect friend what would he/shes passion and drives be. You will find your answer there.
crispCloud
Maybe it's because of low self-confidence. You don't feel like you can do anything and everything if you just try and decide. Thinking about the times you've done well in the past or you've even surprised yourself with your abilities, could really help and give you willpower to start on something you like the most and be sure that you'll be able to pull it off wonderfully :)
ScorpioSun11
You keep existing. You push yourself to accomplish even the smallest of things. Brush your teeth. Go for a walk. When that little voice of hesitation comes through, you push against it with whatever you have left in you. If you continue to do this, you will build up some drive and push yourself to do more and more positive things. Have patience with this process and patience with yourself.
Anonymous
I'm sorry you feel that way. One of the main symptoms of depression, is something called anhedonia, which means that you loose interest in the things that you used to love and care about, the hobbies that used to make you happy, your friends and family. Depression can also make you feel a tired so deep you feel it to your bones, like you don't have the energy to do anything, sometimes that even means getting out of bed. If this sounds familiar, I think i'd go to my doctor and maybe get checked to see if I had a depression, which can be a scary thing to admit. I think the important thing to remember personally if you feel that way is to be kind to yourself, practice self-care and give yourself time and space breathe.
SmokeyStar
You may have tried your luck with something, and nothing came of it no matter how many times you tried. You may have expressed an idea to someone who in turn just started spouting all the things that are difficult at you, which can be feel like they doubt you more or less. However you got there, it's the result that happened. Loss of faith in oneself. Do not spend a lot of time thinking about all the things that went wrong. That is a deep pit. Only look ahead. Remember function is the key, and when you find out what your talents and abilities are, you are unstoppable! Also, it's never too late for anyone to pick up new skills. :)
talktotara
Make a list of the things in your life that you are grateful for. Then you will note similar interests and topics that can initiate energy.
Anonymous
When you have no passion or drive left for the world, you should probably make time for yourself, self care I mean! Or simply sleep!
AngelicHeart
I think about the people who make my life worth while, like my mom and my brothers. Also i listen to some gospel music.
Anonymous
Take a breather. Go outdoors and have a walk while taking deep breaths. Clear your mind and just relax by putting all the stress and pressure behind for a moment. Start thinking about what went well recently or the positive things that you have done before. Also think of some words of encouragement for yourself, like 'You're stronger than you think'. From there, gradually pick yourself up to a point where you feel passionate and driven again.
Atlantismaybe
I watch funny videos, I play with my dog. When I caught myself laughing already I took advantage of the thought that life is okay and that happiness is something that I can have if I kept going :)
Happylauren55
I tell myself to be grateful for my blessings. I get back on track by having an attitude of gratitude. I ask myself what I could do to make myself a better person.
Anonymous
You could talk to your doctor or friends and family about this you could start exercising or change your eating habits
ScoutTheDutchie
Almost all the time, I usually find my passion when drawing or reading, it can be a struggle for you to find what gives you the motivation, but once found it's amazing!
HopeLiveDream
For me as a dancer, rejection and lack of passion are regular occurrences. I have found it hard to keep going, have wanted to give up on life but have found ways of dealing with it. I make a list of all the good things I have in my life, think about if I could live without it in my life and then take it one step at a time. A little step back can help you pick up your ambition again.
Anonymous
March 2nd, 2017 8:51am
This is a very common feeling to have, but no worries, you can overcome it. Setting small, achievable goals for yourself in the form of a checklist is very effective to get yourself into a habit of doing things, which gradually brings you away from a general feeling of apathy and the possible consequence of underperforming in school, work, or even just at fundamental self-care. It is also important to record your feelings, identify certain triggers if possible, and remind yourself of your positive values and the things you enjoy. This effort may seem overwhelming and tiresome at first, but it will be well worth it in the end.
Weed
Passion/Drive/Motivation=Not Eternal, Not Always For eg one day you might wake up saying to yourself 'Enough is enough, I am going to exercise regularly and shed all this fat'. Your motivation enables you to do this for three to four days and boom, you are back at where you started. Because motivation or drive ended. Cultivate Self-Discipline. Motivation is overrated. Stick to the task, no matter how boring or annoying or taxing it may get, until you see it to its competition. And when its completed you will feel happy, that it was worth it and you will feel motivated again. So motivation is like a head start. You can't go all the way with it. Plan you work, divide it into little tasks and then do it little by little. Make a must-do list. And write on it, things that you must absolutely do. Don't write all the things you need to do, just write on it what you absolutely must do today before you go to sleep. Hold yourself accountable if you miss your schedule. And reward yourself if you meet your targets. But take note not to criticize yourself if you fail to achieve your goals. Treat it like a game. You play to win, you may fail a level or two while doing it. But you win the game, with tenacity. Good Luck!
Anonymous
Shut most electronics down for a day or a half. Grab many trash bags. Throw things away that you don't care about anymore and reorganize your surroundings. Focus on one creative, simple and easy project in the beginning if needed. And progress into more advanced tasks, including ones that do not bring an immediately perceived reward. Go at your own pace, but continue forward. Do not give up forever. Keep restarting.
Anonymous
We don't need a 'passion' or 'drive' to work our way through anything. What if we were brought up with lies? All along? I think if we can be grateful for what life has brought. The suffering for shaping who we are and pain for allowing us to 'feel' things and the good times for building memories; is there really a 'need' for adrenaline to work through? We can sure be lazy and allow us to be that. Isn't it time we got away from the ideas that the world keep shaping us into? We can be real rather than be someone else's idea of 'perfect'.
Helpinghandqwe
Whenever I feels like I have no passion or drive I listen to music, read novels or paint something that only I understand. I am not a good painter. I paint very bad. But it makes me feel good. I remember a line from a song of one of my favourite band "are you searching for purpose? Then write something that might be worthless, paint something that might be wordless; pointless curses, nonsense verses. No one else is dealing with your demon; meaning maybe defeating them could be the beginning of your meaning friend."
KittenHero
Pick something, anything. Passion is what you develop overtime when you do something challenging and enjoy it. Stick with it till a natural stopping point, then if you still don't like it after a couple of months, you can switch. Some suggestions to get you started: martial arts, piano, drawing, web design, cooking
Offmytrack
I often lack drive, despite my strong work ethic. When I do, I first check myself; am I physically OK? All the parts are working? OK then, get something done, anything. Do dishes or laundry, sweep the floor, anything to get myself moving. Then I congratulate myself on getting something done.
Recent Answers
Anonymous
Find out what you love to do that motivates you, that makes you an individual. Find what you believe in what strives you to achieve.
Skylar2112
I do what makes me feel happy I focus on creative arts and my hobbies that I'm compassionate about.
Elliechans
Sometimes we go through phases where we lose passion for everything. But getting back up and finding that passion can be easier than you think. Searching for things you enjoy or even doing things you may have enjoyed in the past can be a good place to start. But also remember that sometimes things happen naturally and one day you may realise that you’re drive and motivation has come back naturally.
Anonymous
I will usually lay in bed or at least do something small. Like scribble on paper, it seems a little silly, but is relaxing.
Saifbeinghelper
the work which want to do interestingly is called passion. and the work which bores us often recognizes as the work which we are not meant for. the drive will increase after sometime of doing the present work attentively because doing the work attentively with intense focus allows us to travel the path of success be it kind of work. and increasing of success in present work , increases our interest on the present work and it will become our passion and we can own create our passions just like that if we are unsure about these things.
lovelyPalm93
I was once told to always make my bed in the morning, not because its messy if I don't but because it is the first achievement of the day, it starts the day off on a win so that if the rest of the day accomplishes nothing then at least you know you've done that and you can go to bed to a made bed which is always nice. The other reason for making your bed in the morning is that it sets you up for success, you leave for work/school knowing that, already, you have done something useful and it's for you, to make you feel better, you can feel proud that you got out of bed and instead of shuffling out of the bedroom you actually took the time to do something. Keep going :)
Anonymous
Honestly, listening to music helps me a lot. It gives me a chance to block out the world around me, and get back on track.
MeganWilderr
Look for new thing to indulge yourself in. Something that makes you want to get up every morning
ItsMichelle
When you don't have the passion or drive for certain activities that you have already tried, find if that activity is worth going back to and if you prefer going back and trying again to find that passion or drive if it didn't, you can always try something new.
KingAaron84
February 23rd, 2018 9:14pm
Find something that excited you and make it your passion. Living and enjoying life should be your driving force daily.
peacefulKiwi
Turning on a good playlist and writing a list with things that need to be done and things that are somehow rewarding, like having a cup of coffee. Then, I start with whatever feels most manageable. Once I started and checked something off the list the next thing doesn't seem so bad.
Anonymous
Find a purpose. Find a hobby. Anything to reignite that passion. There are plenty of people who need help or pepel who Ould benefit from a service you could provide.
RandomSpin
When I have no passion or drive, I force myself to walk around for at least 5 minutes. I then try to think of a warm sunrise. Finally, I do the dishes, or anything I know I'm capable of doing.
PosiPotato
Baby steps. Find something small that you can succeed it. Today might be getting out of bed, tomorrow might be going for a walk.
Anonymous
Look for that thing that drives you. Oftentimes, we are just fixated on the wrong thing, and it blinds us from what we are truly passionate about. At times the fixation also stems from allowing people to define what we should be doing.
Anonymous
get involved with people who are passionate, let them tell you what, how, or why they do what they do
Anonymous
When I don’t have passion or drive, I take time to myself to do self care and reflect. I set mini obtainable goals and then try my best to surround my self with positive people who make me feel like I have a purpose.
Anonymous
Invest time in recording your talents, hobbies, skills etc. Then track how many of them have you used so far to achieve something in life. You will find your next goal in life.
neptne
January 3rd, 2018 2:10am
Instead of forcing yourself to work on something you're lacking passion or drive for, take a break. Do something you'll always love, spend time with loved ones, eat a yummy snack, distract yourself!
circledFlight
I try to keep my expectations in check. There are ups and downs in this journey, and just because today is particularly bad, I won't let it spoil tomorrow. It gets better.
MindPalace93
I usually try to give myself some time off since that is often caused by overload. Then I try something new. I just start even if I don't feel like it and in time I tend to feel better.
KongfuPanda
It's said that you can put the cart in front of the wheels. Basically, you just keep your head down, elbows up, just do it, do something. Small but positive feedback from your action might help provide the "drive". Another way would be to do things you truely enjoy and good at.
Anonymous
I start to think a lot. Of the things in life and what am I doing with it. Am I what I have dreamt to be when I was young?
LexiLouister
Whenever I feel like I have no passion or drive to move forward, I try to remember all I've managed to accomplish in my life so far. Little or big achievements, it doesn't matter. If I've done it before, I know I can do it again.
emilyb1999
when i have no passion or drive i remember one of the reasons i have continued with my path of recovery and that is because im worth it and because i can see a better day coming
NotAGod
November 22nd, 2017 2:22am
We're human beings. I like to say that I'm not allergic to anything but maybe I haven't explored/seen/touched something I am allergic to. The world is vast. Find it. Make "finding passion/drive" your passion/drive
GardenSun87
When I have no passion or drive, and that is often, firstly I check am I simply tired or sleepy, or under some stress. In other cases I remind myself what are my goals, values, my good sides, and how can I be useful. Also, I remind myself of things I like to do, hobbies, plans to learn something new or improve old knowledge and skill. It mostly helps.
Laurenathalasa
I walk. I put on some kind of thought provoking or just awesome piece of music, and immerse myself in walking. Sometimes I take a camera, or a notepad and pen, but sometimes it's best to let your mind wander. There's this saying, that 'bored is good' it means that when you're bored, and you let your mind wander, that's when you figure out what you really want to do.
Anonymous
I try and focus on talking to people on 7cups. It helps me see there are people in far worse situations than myself and by listening to them, it gives me the motivation (aka 'drive') that i need.