What do you do when you have no passion or drive?

67 Answers.
Anonymous

Find motivation in other aspects of life - set yourself goals, recognise your achievements and understand your strengths and weaknesses, strive to make little steps and keep track of progress. Find interests in different areas of your life

Anonymous

You should think about the things you used to like when you were a kid. IMagine you could create a perfect friend what would he/shes passion and drives be. You will find your answer there.

LC1225

I could sit here and try to motivate you or tell you poetic things that give you hope but unfortunately I too am wondering the same thing. I lost my passion, my drive, more than three years ago and I go to bed every night hoping that when I wake up in the morning, my life will go back to the way it used to be. I think the best things for us to do is to keep searching for what drives us and what brings out our passion. We must try different things and stay positive. It's not easy but I hope it will be worth it someday. I wish you the best of luck. -LC

Anonymous

When I have no passion or drive, I tend to get pen and paper to write. When I have so much going on in my head that I lose the ability to do anything, getting it out, onto paper, tends to help organize the mess that's in my mind. Writing also invokes passion as I become more and more animated the more I write!

Anonymous

When you have no passion or drive left for the world, you should probably make time for yourself, self care I mean! Or simply sleep!

GeorgieCunningham
September 2nd, 2016 2:31am

I give myself time to wallow, but put a limit on it. One day allowed for staying in bed procrastinating and moping, but one day only! Then its time to motivate myself with upbeat music, a deep house clean and treating myself to some new stationary to make all my to-do lists. I also make mood boards to remind me of why I'm doing what I'm doing and that really helps drive me forward.

talktotara

Make a list of the things in your life that you are grateful for. Then you will note similar interests and topics that can initiate energy.

Anonymous

I watch funny videos, I play with my dog. When I caught myself laughing already I took advantage of the thought that life is okay and that happiness is something that I can have if I kept going :)

AngelicHeart

I think about the people who make my life worth while, like my mom and my brothers. Also i listen to some gospel music.

Happylauren55

I tell myself to be grateful for my blessings. I get back on track by having an attitude of gratitude. I ask myself what I could do to make myself a better person.

crispCloud

Maybe it's because of low self-confidence. You don't feel like you can do anything and everything if you just try and decide. Thinking about the times you've done well in the past or you've even surprised yourself with your abilities, could really help and give you willpower to start on something you like the most and be sure that you'll be able to pull it off wonderfully :)

SaturatedSunrise13

There are many aspects and factors that affect your lack of motivation which may make it difficult to fix or deal with. You can recharge this shortage of passion and drive by simply just doing what you love and actually want to do!

Anonymous

Find something that you love and do it. Pick up an old hobby. Make yourself motivated. You can do it!

TiffanyLauren
August 3rd, 2016 6:55am

When I lost those, I come here in 7 cups. This site helps me to be back on my feet by making me realize a lot of things, and also helps me to build up my passion and drive.

succourears

i do some research online about motivation and what I can do to motivate myself. The internet is full of these resources and they are there for me to make the most out of them!

kerkyra

I look for something supportive that will help me and/or go to my friends because I know they care about me.

Anonymous

I'll go outside and listen to musics. It helps a lot when you're running out of something that keeps you alive, or maybe I'll go to the art gallery. That would be a good idea.

Anonymous

You could choose to stay in bed, recharge and rest until you feel more energized. However I would recommend getting out and about, go for a walk, listen to music. Spend time with family and try to find the things that make you happy.

Anonymous

I honestly include my religious beliefs into whatever the situation maybe. Search your inner mind your inner will and trust me the "drive" is within. All that is needed is a push from within.

Anonymous

Take a breather. Go outdoors and have a walk while taking deep breaths. Clear your mind and just relax by putting all the stress and pressure behind for a moment. Start thinking about what went well recently or the positive things that you have done before. Also think of some words of encouragement for yourself, like 'You're stronger than you think'. From there, gradually pick yourself up to a point where you feel passionate and driven again.

GentleBlizzard

I watch videos. I watch videos of really famous people or people who are good at the things I want to be good at.

ScorpioSun11

You keep existing. You push yourself to accomplish even the smallest of things. Brush your teeth. Go for a walk. When that little voice of hesitation comes through, you push against it with whatever you have left in you. If you continue to do this, you will build up some drive and push yourself to do more and more positive things. Have patience with this process and patience with yourself.

Anonymous

You could talk to your doctor or friends and family about this you could start exercising or change your eating habits

MysticTails2701

I usually listen to music that inspires me in many ways and this gives me hope and passion to get through anything.

KKGunner

I do something that requires little effort, like chores, knitting, or reading, until my drive comes back.

Navylady

Try to find something that does interest me at that moment. Maybe I have no drive to work on my crafts but reading doesn't sound bad. So I do that.

MarchSand

I think about what I want in life, and what I want to become. And remember that this lack of passion is not forever.

ScoutTheDutchie

Almost all the time, I usually find my passion when drawing or reading, it can be a struggle for you to find what gives you the motivation, but once found it's amazing!

Anonymous

Sometimes feeling like you have no passion or drive can be an indication of burn out. When I'm feeling like this, I like to relax and take some time for myself. Once my head is clear, I can try to approach the situation again.

LeGhost223

When I lose my will, or motivation to do something, I look to the people that still do and list reasons why I should keep pushing forward. Self motivation is a key importance to living a healthy life.

Anonymous

There might be something you can change in your environment(s) to bring that passion back, like a new living location, career, relationship, or circle of friends. Try taking up a hobby from your childhood and then taking up a few hobbies you never thought you'd enjoy anyway. Try a lot of different things, everything, even corny hobbies. It only takes one thing of passion to help us get through our lives.

Patrick701191

Anonymous

I look back on things that I have successfully achieved in life, anything from completing a gym routine to organising my folders for college and remember the sense of achievement I felt after having completed that task. It is not the scale of the achievement that matters but the sense of success that follows that inspires me to set and try to attain future goals, no matter how seemingly small they may be!

Anonymous

Try to find one passion or drive by attempting different activities in life. So that you will find one that truly interest you

Joner2016

I sit and think about my life and ask myself "What on earth am I here for?". I also think about my family who has been waiting their whole life seeing me grow up and give me guidance and support.

Bri22

Focus on why you have survived this long, and don't let anything else stand in your way. Know that you are in perfect form for what lies ahead, and are only made stronger and better for having endured today. Use your feelings of flatness, let them inspire your mind, even if your emotions and heart are not behind you. If you force yourself think proactively and productively, soon you will be where your actions will follow.

Anonymous

I put on music to help motivate me or I try to be around people who will try to help me in every aspect that they can

Anonymous

When you lose passion or drive for something, try to remember why you got into it in the first place, and why it may be better for you to continue. If it gets really bad however, find something that might intrest you more and stick with it.

Anonymous

I found myself having no passion or drive in life as a whole a few months back. It had been this way for a long time, and after some reflection I realized that it was because I was self-defeating. I love writing, I love going out and doing things- but I was doing none of that because before taking the first step my brain said "What's the point- you won't ever get it done." To get over it, I committed to writing and working out by making a no-excuse schedule. Unless there was an emergency or urgent matter, I would commit to this schedule and do what I wanted to do. It worked. I have over 20 documents relating to my novel now, and I have gained a good amount of weight from building muscle. The hardest part was getting up and taking the first step, and recognizing my inner problem. After recognizing it, facing that inner issue was something I had to force myself to do- and want to do it. There's no way to do that for someone else, but recognizing the issue itself can always help.

DaisyTalk

I force myself to get out of bed and make a goal to do one thing that I have been meaning to do. If nothing else gets done but that one thing I will be happy because I accomplished my goal.

intelligentTruth42

Passion and drive sometime take a hit when the list of things I should be doing is getting very long, or the one task ahead of me seems like it is too big to ever complete.... At those times, it's helpful to break apart an activity into smaller steps, and just get started on one step. Complete that step, enjoy the feeling of accomplishment, and then get started on the next small step. The small steps can even be on different days, but the small step that is doable in one day lets you feel like "Today, I made progress toward my ultimate goal...and that is enough to feel good about."

CoreFeelings

You keep putting one foot in front of the other and think about the good things you have in life. Exploring new activities and hobbies is also a good way, find something that you can become passionate or driven about and turn that into a force to charge up your life again~

jessica99
December 2nd, 2016 1:16am

I usually find myself releasing stress and frustration in my art journal. It helps me to scribble and scribe to my heart's content, and i usually end up feeling more motivated.

Anonymous

I'm sorry you feel that way. One of the main symptoms of depression, is something called anhedonia, which means that you loose interest in the things that you used to love and care about, the hobbies that used to make you happy, your friends and family. Depression can also make you feel a tired so deep you feel it to your bones, like you don't have the energy to do anything, sometimes that even means getting out of bed. If this sounds familiar, I think i'd go to my doctor and maybe get checked to see if I had a depression, which can be a scary thing to admit. I think the important thing to remember personally if you feel that way is to be kind to yourself, practice self-care and give yourself time and space breathe.

HopeLiveDream

For me as a dancer, rejection and lack of passion are regular occurrences. I have found it hard to keep going, have wanted to give up on life but have found ways of dealing with it. I make a list of all the good things I have in my life, think about if I could live without it in my life and then take it one step at a time. A little step back can help you pick up your ambition again.

WaywardRose4309

Find another! There's always a reason to live and fight. Something will calm you down, something will interest you and intrigue Something will just look beautiful and you would like to learn how to do it. Life can be tough, but there's blessings too. We are stuck in our shells, but crack 'em. In pours a rainbow!

Mjh1972mjh

I know what you are feeling, and sometimes it is so hard to keep going, but the important thing is that you can keep going, and that you are not alone in this. We can talk and you can get some professional help as well.

friendlyPerspective32

Do you think you may just be burnt out? If you have been pushing yourself too hard in your profession/work, it would likely help to take a break and relax from the everyday pressures that you face. Sometimes, we just need to give ourselves the small break that we deserve.. By break, I don't mean that you should completely drop your responsibilities, your job, or your schoolwork for a long period of time, but being easier on yourself will help to relieve some of the pressure that is leading you to experience burnout. You cannot be perfect one hundred percent of the time; you're only human! If you are not experiencing any sort of burnout, then it could just be that you have not yet found the thing that motivates you and that's completely normal, too! It takes time for us to discover the one thing that makes us tick. Perhaps, it would help to check out new hobbies or organizations that may be of any interest to you and that you have not yet considered. Also, setting new goals can really help you to get out of a rut. For example, I have been a competitive runner for a few year now. After going through a period where I was not completely enjoying running as much (which happens more often than not), I decided to sign up for a marathon which let's just say was completely outside of my comfort zone. Rather than being fazed by the daunting goal that I had set out for myself, I felt much more motivated to tackle this opportunity. It was quite a different experience, and one that I very much needed personally. Perhaps you could benefit from doing something similar, whether in your current profession, university, or a hobby that you were once serious about.

Stripeymusicalenglishgirl

Remember why you started. Set yourself small, manageable goals, maybe give yourself incentives or get a friend to help motivate you. Make sure you are taking care of your wellbeing by drinking enough water, eating a healthy balanced diet, exercise regularly, take time out for yourself to boost your mood :)

SunshineKiss202

Evaluate what your personal interests are and go by that. That will help you learn more about yourself and what truly interests you in a passionate kind of way or drives you to the success that you desire.

7thguyfromearth

Ask yourself if you have an objective or a goal. Sometimes, if you have no drive or passion or motivation to do something, that probably means that you don't have something to be passionate or motivated for. Ask yourself: "What's my purpose?"

1musicloverever

We all have our low moments, no motivation and just nothing to want to do. Those are normal and they can vary depending on the person and really whatever is going on in their life. Things will get better, you're just at a platuo of things right now. But this can help you work on yourself more. Take care of your body, start eating healthier, clean your face more frequent, workout. This all might boost you and give you things to be motivated all over again.

cordial2394

I try to remember that the mood to do nothing is still an emotional response... it is just that a mood, and just like I wouldn't let myself do whatever I wanted in anger or sadness, I need to not let this mood dictate everything about what I do either. Some ideas to help.. a lot of times this is biological for me. I was shocked during one of these spells to find out that I had anemia. Other physical causes can be low thyroid or other problems that are biological but not brain-based. Something I found helpful to do when I would have no gumption and it seemed like inertia had me was to write down the minimum of what I had to do during that day and then a list of possible activities. I would roll a role-playing dice to make it like a game and select activites on the list based on the roll. If I didn't like any of the activities, then I knew it was my mood and would do the last one rolled. Momentum and drive can actually be the result of doing something you know you should/need to/ normally would want to do. If these feelings persist you may benefit from a therapist or even a medication, because lack of interest in daily activities and things one would normally have an interest in is a symptom of clinical depression sometimes.

Anonymous

I, personally try and think of ways to re organise myself and do things I really love! It can really help and be a boost!

ProfessionalFriend

What I've learned from experience the best thing to do is to try out new things. New experiences, meeting new people, trying out new things, new music, new food, new clothes, anything. Without any fear :)

Tappingtoes123

Don't allow yourself to tear yourself down. Remember that you're going through a journey there will always be ups and downs

sereneStrawberry33

You must find and deal with the underlying cause of this. Perhaps you don't have any passion or drive because every time you tried to do something, something gets in the way or doesn't work. I can see how this could especially be true now a days, in which hard work often isn't rewarded and we have a bad economy. It is possible you have a physical illness, or maybe you don't eat right, and that is making you sluggish. It is also possible you have low self-esteem. maybe somebody in your childhood made you feel like you are incapable or unworthy. A good thing to do would be to find a website or Forum or group dedicated to helping people get motivated, and to get a counselor if you can afford one, or if you have coverage.

Anonymous
March 2nd, 2017 8:51am

This is a very common feeling to have, but no worries, you can overcome it. Setting small, achievable goals for yourself in the form of a checklist is very effective to get yourself into a habit of doing things, which gradually brings you away from a general feeling of apathy and the possible consequence of underperforming in school, work, or even just at fundamental self-care. It is also important to record your feelings, identify certain triggers if possible, and remind yourself of your positive values and the things you enjoy. This effort may seem overwhelming and tiresome at first, but it will be well worth it in the end.

AutumnLeigh
March 2nd, 2017 10:22pm

Consider that you may be depressed. See a doctor to find out if your systems are a chemical reaction in your brain. You could also chat with supportive people and discover new things that might bring back a passion for something.

upholsteredchair

When I have no passion or drive I take some time for myself. I tell myself to stop. I don't set a time limit for when I need to get back on track. I sit on my bed and put on my favorite hoodie and wrap myself in a blanket. I listen to terrible pop music and eat cookies. I try and drink a lot of water. Then I think about why I feel motivation-less. I think about it calmly. If I reach a point where I feel motivation, I start doing whatever I have to do, right there, just like that. It's a quick fix but it's helped me a lot before.

Recent Answers
DanDan1991

The problem with passion and drive is that they are fickle and fleeting. They come sporadically and often you will have long lapses in them. The key isn't waiting for those things, but getting up and doing things anyway. I'm a musician so passion and drive are important in writing, but more important is consistent work. Take time 15-30 mins a day, everyday, to do the task you are lacking the passion for. You'll find that it will just become habit rather than something you need that kind of passion or drive to have to be motivated to do!!

theinvisibleinspirations

I find that one thing that I am best at and do it. I tell myself that there are many people who have life harfer than I have. I think positively about myself and remind myself​ of things that I'm proud of doing.

GuideforLight

Just consider what I have in my hand. And enjoy it in the moment. I think it is not a bad thing that you have a free-spare time, those times are actually a gift to recognize what you have.

IcarusFalls

Sometimes you just need to take a day entirely for yourself. You could go out with friends, stay in and binge-watch a television show or two and eat popcorn by the handful, do something you would usually enjoy. Everyone feels that way sometimes. But it's important to recognise that not wanting to get out of bed in the mornings or just not feeling like doing anything can be a sign of something more serious. If this feeling lasts for two weeks or longer and other signs are also visible, it can mean that you have Depression, although I'm not an expert in it. Talking to someone about how you feel can help, and the people on 7 cups are here to do that if you don't want to talk to someone you know about it. I hope this helps.

Anonymous

I usually just let myself be but now knowing I don't want to be passionless, I look for ways to get to where I need and want to be. You do your best to find what you want out of life and go get it. Even when you are improving a little. Just take away the things that don't work in your life and go for what works for you. Do some research.

HappyToHelp1869

Read books. Read works of people who will be sure to inspire you to do something. Find your hidden talents, everyone has at least one. Get on to 7 Cups to enhance your positive thinking.

Anonymous

Life can be very difficult with no motivation, but the best solution is to keep looking through your options, and eventually you will find something or someone that inspires you. Try to change things up, and look at the world from a different perspective.

Didn't find what you're looking for? We have other answers