I feel sad a lot, unmotivated, and I often can't stop crying for many hours. But I sleep and eat decently and I also can smile or laugh sometimes. Am I depressed or just sad?

153 Answers.
Top Rated Answer
CompassionForAll36
You don't have to have all of the symptoms of depression in order to be diagnosed with it. Feeling sad, lack of motivation, and crying are some of the major signs of depression. But many people have depression and are able to smile and laugh. It is important to check with your doctor if you are concerned you may have depression.
Newest Answer
Anonymous
It sounds like you are depressed and may need to pursue counseling. You may feel happy from time to time but when that sadness comes back, it can hurt your overall functioning, leaving you feeling fatigued and overwhelmed.

Take our free test to better understand yourself and Depression

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
Anonymous
If you're generally running on low-energy levels, cannot feel enthusiasm for tasks/hobbies that you would generally enjoy and can't remember the last time you were truly happy or content then you might have depression. You probably should to ask a professional who can know more about your everyday behavior about your symptoms to give you a better answer. I've heard about a term called 'walking depression' which has the symptoms you are portraying. Depression can come in any form and for any reason or length of time. You may have only have mild depression but you can and should treat it. Sites like these also help a lot in that respect.
ListeningLysanya1
Author and public speaker Andrew Solomon describes the differences between sadness and depression very accurately in my opinion. He talks of grief, sadness, and depression, and the differences between these three similar feelings. If you have suffered some catastrophic loss (the death of a loved one, the death of a pet, a breakup, moving to another town, etc.) and you feel deeply sad about it, that feeling is grief. If, after a few months, you are still saddened by your loss, but you can still function in normal day-to-day life and still feel happy at times, then you are typically not depressed, and your grief will ultimately resolve itself given enough time. On the other hand, if after a few months of your loss, you are overwhelmed by feelings of hopelessness, despair, and crippling sadness--so much so that it feels like a struggle just to get through your days--then you are probably experiencing depression that was triggered by your catastrophic loss. I really like this way of thinking that Andrew Solomon presents. It is totally normal to be sad, unmotivated, and alone sometimes. Even crying for long periods of time is normal--often this just means that you're a sensitive person with a big heart. But if such sadness is affecting you in such a way as to negatively impact all aspects of your life, then your sadness may be depression. I understand how hard it can be to distinguish the differences between sadness and depression. In everyday language, we tend to use the word "depressed" to describe both a boy that didn't get the toy he wanted on his birthday, and a girl moments before she takes her own life. Granted, these two feelings are related in a way, but they are related rather distantly. It's comparable to the difference between a house with an iron fence that occasionally gathers some rust that the owner has to polish away every now and then, and a house with an iron fence that is left to completely rust over the duration of many decades, such that the fence looks almost nothing like it once was.
Anonymous
Being depressed doesn't always mean that you can't feel good sometimes or have a heavy influence on sleeping and eating. These are just symptoms. You might eat more when you're depressed or not eat at all. You might sleep even more than you used to when you're depressed or you might turn into an insomniac. What your description is (sad, unmotivated and crying) can definitely be depression and probably is. Depression may or may not cause any change in your diet or sleeping habits. In fact. some people can be internally depressed while following their normal cycle everyday, so it's more of what happens on the inside than outside.
ChocoholicMouse
Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.
michelle2000
I'd say you're depressed, but you shouldn't take an opinion from me, you should go to a doctor. Depression has different symptoms for everyone. Yours may be mild, but it still looks like it's there.
Alexisheretohelpyou2
You have either depression, or bipolar depression. If you need someone to talk to, send me a personalized request! I'd love to help you.
useful
You can sleep and laugh you are happy just don't make your brain feel that you are sad thats what i see just try to feel the happiness it will come for you
bulletproofmayhem
It depends. If you've been feeling this way for a long time (More than a week) and it isn't in result to a tragic event, you're depressed. If you are sad over a breakup. death, or other uncomfortable change, you're sad. Many depressed people can't seem to find out why they're sad. There's usually no reason...just a chemical imbalance in the brain. Depression is a disease, sadness is a feeling.
Anonymous
Depression comes in many forms and change from time to time - its difficult to say you are a depressed or sad without a professional's opinion. You can depressed and still feel joy at times. Everyone has their own unique experiences of depression
Rachel1984
Depression isn't an all or nothing thing. It's common for depressed people to feel okay for certain periods. You can rate your mood on a scale of one to ten, with 10 being the best you've ever felt, and one being the worst you can imagine feeling. If you spend a significant amount of time around, say, 5, and your okay periods are less than 9, then it sounds like you're depressed. In any case, there's nothing wrong with seeing someone to get evaluated.
Anonymous
It's difficult to answer your question. I'm sorry you feel that way. The best person who can advise you is a GP or medical professional. If you need someone to talk to; please do not hesitate to speak to a listener in the meantime.
Melody293
Wether your depressed or sad usually has to do with how long you've been feeling this way. If your thinking you might be depressed, I urge you to go see your doctor, so that they can properly diagnose you.
Anonymous
Depression is more of continual sadness, one which the person feels trapped. Depression is usually an extended diagnosis of a set period of weeks. Depression doesn't mean you will be deprived of sleep, nor does it mean you can't laugh. I hope this helps you, good luck.
Booklovingcrocro
It really doesn't matter if you call it depression or not. What matters is if it is a problem in your life. Do you struggle most days? Is it imparing your everyday life? Than you have a problem. We can't diagnose you trough the computer but if it is imparing your everyday life and/or you have it most days and it's troubling you. Than you should seek help. What it's called doesn't really matter but depression isn't excluded
Anonymous
I cannot give a solid diagnosis, but you're sounding more sad than depressed. Although, you do sound like you get upset very easy and it may be worthwhile to go and see your local doctor.
BooksHugsandTea6370
First, anyone who does have a diagnosis of depression can (and some do) laugh and smile at things. Second, I am not a diagnostician or a psychiatrist or even a medical/family practice doctor. So I have no solid way to *know* if you are depressed or often sad. However, in my experiences, those with a diagnosis of depression, it can overtake their lives. Depression can make very simple, every day tasks seem unbearable; things like taking a shower, brushing your teeth, choosing what to have for breakfast. Depression, I think, can be classified as "please, friend, go talk with your doctor about this" when it affects your daily life. There are so many variables to consider! So unfortunately from just your question here, it would not be prudent for me to answer depressed or just sad. Perhaps you could check out the Depression Sub Community we have here at 7cups or get in touch with the certified therapists here or at your home.
sillyseraph002
you very well could be depressed. now, that may be a bit difficult to hear, but help is available in many forms. online and in book stores you can ind many self help books that specifically address depression. therapists can also help you in this regard
friendlyWhisper9
Hey,Symptoms of depression vary from person to person.even though you seem to be getting proper sleep and food patterns are still the same it still could be depression if you cry randomly,feeling unmotivated or lose of joy in activities you once enjoyed,numb feeling even when the day seemed to be okay then there is a high chance that you are suffering from clinical depression. there is a fine line differentiating depression and sadness depending upon how long you are feeling this way. if it was for few days its just sadness but if your feeling this way for more than two weeks its depression Hopefully i cleared your doubt. Take care.
Pilocene
Not all symptoms of depression (such as poor sleeping and eating habits) are found in all people with the disorder. I am no doctor, and it would be irresponsible for me to tell you as such, however, you do have some of the potential symptoms. Depression, does not always affect someone 24/7 as well; you can still feel joy at times, although it is usually with friends. If you are concerned, I recommend you ask your doctor or a professional.
Recent Answers
SitaV
That sounds really tough, and my heart goes out to you. A clinical diagnosis of depression is something that can only be given to you by a psychologist or psychiatrist. I would recommend going to see one and getting evaluated. Even if you are able to sleep, eat and laugh you may have a variant known as Atypical Depression. Only you know what is normal and abnormal for yourself. Never stop seeking help.
Anonymous
I wouldn't jump to conclusions or start to diagnose yourself like that but if you are really concerned and want a professional opinnion then try to scheadule an appointment with a therapist , good luck!!!
Anonymous
I'm sorry to hear that. We all go through this. However it's always a good thing to ask for help from someone. The best way to help yourself is to talk to someone who can understand what your going through. It is very hard to diagnose someone unless you are a professional. Please don't be afraid to seek out help from a friend or a therapist.
vibha2109
First of all, I'm sorry you're going through such a tough time! I'm sending you lots of love.
Anonymous
it depends on how long and how often you've been feeling this way. it sounds like depression, but i can't be for sure exactly seeing as how i am not a doctor or professional therapist. if you suspect you are depressed, contact a therapist or doctor
positiveForever73
May 23rd, 2018 5:29am
Well first, crying can be healthy. However, try journaling, and see whats going on. Keep up self care, mindfulness excercises really help me.
calmArrow24
It depends on how long this has been going on. Everyone can feel sad, but if it’s been perisistant for a while, even if you have moments of happiness, it is possible that you have depression. For almost 6 months, I ignored all the warning signs of depression, because I just assumed I was sad, but I’d get over it. If you’re not sure, you should be on the safe side and look further into it instead of shrugging it off.
CoreDad87
Depression can happen even at the high points in our lives. It doesn't affect everyone the same or in the same circumstances
lenimentus
Please, please, please do not take anything someone tells you online seriously enough to label yourself. In addition, if you can, disregard any potential labels as they usually do not help you (diagnoses are helpful to professionals). I would suggest that you at least talk to someone about the reasons you feel sad, unmotivated and do cry for that amount before taking any further, potentially more serious steps(or do both by talking to a therapist).
AprylFools
This sounds like you may have depression, yes. But the best place to go for an actual assessment is the Doctors. They'll analyse your answers and if they think you could use some help, provide you with medication. As scary as it sounds, you needn't worry too much! They're there to help you both physically and mentally.
Anonymous
It's possible to smile and laugh but still be depressed. Not everyone who's depressed experiences a change in sleep or eating either. The biggest indication that it's more than typical sadness is if it starts to interfere with your life. Are you so unmotivated that you no longer do the things you used to or hang out with friends? Do you feel worthless or hopeless? Is your sadness causing you lots of distress? Have you been feeling sad or empty most of the time for at least 2 weeks now? If you answered yes to any of those questions, please consider seeing a professional!! You don't need to go through this alone
Ameera411
Well at first you need to know if there's a reason behind getting sad, demotivated and crying so much.If there is a solid reason, then it's just that you're feeling sad about it.But even after a lot of brainstorming you can't figure out a reason behind the stress, then it's definitely depression.Depression can be of different levels, you're probably at the lowest ones whete it's not extremely serious.So I would suggest you to talk to people, take care of yourself more and do what's possible to deal with the depression.You'll be fine absolutely :)
SociallyAwkwardMatthew
That isnt for any of us to say considering we are not medical experts. It would be best to go to a doctor and get professionally diagnosed so you can be given the best course of action.
Anonymous
Your not alone in this, maybe going to talk to your doctor may help you. Talking about when this started and what made you feel these emotions to begin with will help
PhoenixMoon19
I’d say there’s a good case for depression depending on how long you’ve felt this way. Lack of motivation and uncontrollable crying can be warning signs of depression if they continue for a while.
Anonymous
Only a doctor can answer that question. I would suggest journaling you symptoms and feelings, then bringing them to a doctor. You can also look into high functioning depression
TheCynicalOptimist
Depends on how long that state lasts. If it lasts longer than two weeks, you might be showing first signs of depression.
newbiebunny
Depression has many faces and levels to how it effects a person. I personally dont think the emotion of feeling "just sad" should be taken so lightly like it is not as important either. What I feel is more important to focus on is rather on understanding yourself in various aspects (example, emotionally, physically, mentally, spiritually etc). Also rather than trying to diagnose lightly on one or the other, I believe it benefits a person to seek professional assistance from people who have more knowledge on say depression, to be more honest with yourself while discovering what exactly is making you feel the way you do. Especially if it makes you feel uncomfortable and stressful.
Anonymous
That is full blown depression and you need to talk to a psychiatrist about your feelings. It’s ok to ask for help. Depression is real.
IrisEM
That ultimately depends on you. Do you feel like this has been going on for longer than usual? Have you felt like this over a long period of time? Feeling sad and unmotivated can be a product of a situation we're going through in life or signs of depression. How long have you felt this way?
MotherWillow93
Depends how long you have been feeling this way and what is causing your sadness. There are two things that I have always found helpful when needing an emotional boost: Surrounding yourself with loved ones like friends, family, or a pet. And engaging in activities/hobbies you enjoy and are passionate about (singing, building things, dancing, being out in nature, taking a hot bath, reading...)
FromDrewWithLove
While I'm not a medical professional, nor can I diagnose you with anything, I'd say it is possible you're depressed. Depression isn't necessarily straight sadness all the time; it has its hills and valleys. Sometimes you are capable of feeling happy or at least decent for a little while before crashing again. Plus, while getting good sleep and eating decently can help people feel better, it's not really a cure-all for depression, so it's possible to do those things and still have depression. It sounds more like depression than being just sad, but I could be wrong.
LearningEmpathy
March 3rd, 2018 5:44am
This really depends on the causes. If a death just happened then it is grief, if it is because of stress it is probably depression, if you just had a bad day and know you will feel better in the morning sadness. If you do feel depressed try and change something in your life, I have connected depression with stress and overwhelming responsibilities before. Sometimes it is just the body's way of coping with the stress. However, I am not a professional this is just my experience.
Anonymous
I think you're just sad. It would be better if you reach out and communicate with your friends and family more. Having positive people around you would light up your day.
Anonymous
I found that if I am sad more than 75% of the time for over 3 weeks, then I consider myself depressed and will reevaluate my life to see where that depression comes from. If it is psychological, biological or something else.
JulietSivan
Depression is not about feeling down (!)all the time(!). It’s a serious mood disorder but you still can laugh sometimes and have fun with closest friends, it works like a distraction. Generally, depression is about how you feel (!)most of the time(!). It causes symptoms that affect the way you work, think & etc. In that case I recommend you to visit therapist so you can get some help from a professional doctor. Wish you all the best.⭐️
happyrainbow93
My suggestion for you is to go to the doctor or to have an appointment with a psychologist to know more about your situation since this is not enough information. Don't jump to conclusions or diagnose yourself. it is possible you have a mild or moderate depression. However, sometimes I think it is not so important to diagnose or label your symptoms but to start to do something about it. It is good that you are here at 7 cups, this can be the start to increase your skills to deal with your symptoms.
Anonymous
If you feel like you are depressed, try and contact a therapist or GP. They can decide if you're depressed or just sad. But try talking to people and motivating yourself to keep going. There are different sides to depression.
lovelyJewel61
Being depressed is more then just being sad, on occasions. what you are going through can be depression. i cannot say it's not. do you feel sad even when you smile and laugh? do you feel sad even when your out with friends or at an event that is supposed to make you feel good? depression isn't just being upset is is more to it then that. it's an feeling that you have that feels like you cant get rid of.