I feel sad a lot, unmotivated, and I often can't stop crying for many hours. But I sleep and eat decently and I also can smile or laugh sometimes. Am I depressed or just sad?

126 Answers.
CompassionForAll36

You don't have to have all of the symptoms of depression in order to be diagnosed with it. Feeling sad, lack of motivation, and crying are some of the major signs of depression. But many people have depression and are able to smile and laugh. It is important to check with your doctor if you are concerned you may have depression.

Take our free test to better understand yourself and Depression

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
RayofHope

Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.

Anonymous

If you're generally running on low-energy levels, cannot feel enthusiasm for tasks/hobbies that you would generally enjoy and can't remember the last time you were truly happy or content then you might have depression. You probably should to ask a professional who can know more about your everyday behavior about your symptoms to give you a better answer. I've heard about a term called 'walking depression' which has the symptoms you are portraying. Depression can come in any form and for any reason or length of time. You may have only have mild depression but you can and should treat it. Sites like these also help a lot in that respect.

ListeningLysanya1

Author and public speaker Andrew Solomon describes the differences between sadness and depression very accurately in my opinion. He talks of grief, sadness, and depression, and the differences between these three similar feelings. If you have suffered some catastrophic loss (the death of a loved one, the death of a pet, a breakup, moving to another town, etc.) and you feel deeply sad about it, that feeling is grief. If, after a few months, you are still saddened by your loss, but you can still function in normal day-to-day life and still feel happy at times, then you are typically not depressed, and your grief will ultimately resolve itself given enough time. On the other hand, if after a few months of your loss, you are overwhelmed by feelings of hopelessness, despair, and crippling sadness--so much so that it feels like a struggle just to get through your days--then you are probably experiencing depression that was triggered by your catastrophic loss. I really like this way of thinking that Andrew Solomon presents. It is totally normal to be sad, unmotivated, and alone sometimes. Even crying for long periods of time is normal--often this just means that you're a sensitive person with a big heart. But if such sadness is affecting you in such a way as to negatively impact all aspects of your life, then your sadness may be depression. I understand how hard it can be to distinguish the differences between sadness and depression. In everyday language, we tend to use the word "depressed" to describe both a boy that didn't get the toy he wanted on his birthday, and a girl moments before she takes her own life. Granted, these two feelings are related in a way, but they are related rather distantly. It's comparable to the difference between a house with an iron fence that occasionally gathers some rust that the owner has to polish away every now and then, and a house with an iron fence that is left to completely rust over the duration of many decades, such that the fence looks almost nothing like it once was.

michelle2000

I'd say you're depressed, but you shouldn't take an opinion from me, you should go to a doctor. Depression has different symptoms for everyone. Yours may be mild, but it still looks like it's there.

Anonymous

Being depressed doesn't always mean that you can't feel good sometimes or have a heavy influence on sleeping and eating. These are just symptoms. You might eat more when you're depressed or not eat at all. You might sleep even more than you used to when you're depressed or you might turn into an insomniac. What your description is (sad, unmotivated and crying) can definitely be depression and probably is. Depression may or may not cause any change in your diet or sleeping habits. In fact. some people can be internally depressed while following their normal cycle everyday, so it's more of what happens on the inside than outside.

Alexisheretohelpyou2

You have either depression, or bipolar depression. If you need someone to talk to, send me a personalized request! I'd love to help you.

useful

You can sleep and laugh you are happy just don't make your brain feel that you are sad thats what i see just try to feel the happiness it will come for you

Anonymous

Depression comes in many forms and change from time to time - its difficult to say you are a depressed or sad without a professional's opinion. You can depressed and still feel joy at times. Everyone has their own unique experiences of depression

Rachel1984

Depression isn't an all or nothing thing. It's common for depressed people to feel okay for certain periods. You can rate your mood on a scale of one to ten, with 10 being the best you've ever felt, and one being the worst you can imagine feeling. If you spend a significant amount of time around, say, 5, and your okay periods are less than 9, then it sounds like you're depressed. In any case, there's nothing wrong with seeing someone to get evaluated.

Anonymous

It's difficult to answer your question. I'm sorry you feel that way. The best person who can advise you is a GP or medical professional. If you need someone to talk to; please do not hesitate to speak to a listener in the meantime.

Melody293

Wether your depressed or sad usually has to do with how long you've been feeling this way. If your thinking you might be depressed, I urge you to go see your doctor, so that they can properly diagnose you.

Anonymous

Depression is more of continual sadness, one which the person feels trapped. Depression is usually an extended diagnosis of a set period of weeks. Depression doesn't mean you will be deprived of sleep, nor does it mean you can't laugh. I hope this helps you, good luck.

Booklovingcrocro

It really doesn't matter if you call it depression or not. What matters is if it is a problem in your life. Do you struggle most days? Is it imparing your everyday life? Than you have a problem. We can't diagnose you trough the computer but if it is imparing your everyday life and/or you have it most days and it's troubling you. Than you should seek help. What it's called doesn't really matter but depression isn't excluded

bulletproofmayhem

It depends. If you've been feeling this way for a long time (More than a week) and it isn't in result to a tragic event, you're depressed. If you are sad over a breakup. death, or other uncomfortable change, you're sad. Many depressed people can't seem to find out why they're sad. There's usually no reason...just a chemical imbalance in the brain. Depression is a disease, sadness is a feeling.

Anonymous

I cannot give a solid diagnosis, but you're sounding more sad than depressed. Although, you do sound like you get upset very easy and it may be worthwhile to go and see your local doctor.

BooksHugsandTea6370

First, anyone who does have a diagnosis of depression can (and some do) laugh and smile at things. Second, I am not a diagnostician or a psychiatrist or even a medical/family practice doctor. So I have no solid way to *know* if you are depressed or often sad. However, in my experiences, those with a diagnosis of depression, it can overtake their lives. Depression can make very simple, every day tasks seem unbearable; things like taking a shower, brushing your teeth, choosing what to have for breakfast. Depression, I think, can be classified as "please, friend, go talk with your doctor about this" when it affects your daily life. There are so many variables to consider! So unfortunately from just your question here, it would not be prudent for me to answer depressed or just sad. Perhaps you could check out the Depression Sub Community we have here at 7cups or get in touch with the certified therapists here or at your home.

Anonymous

well think of it like this depression is a genetic disorder and symptoms may appear at an stage in life. i used to have the same issues but they soon passed so maybe you are just sad.

finn77huugh

You are you, and that's okay. Labels are exhausting, so why place them upon yourself? As long as you're healthy and unharmed, you're okay. Setting positive goals is a great way to try and motivate yourself.

MarcusFalls

Can be either. Depression manifests itself in many different forms and its symptoms may change by the individuals personality.

Anonymous

Depression comes with all different symptoms, so it's important to go see a doctor for a true diagnosis. Taking quizzes online could maybe sway you into considering seeing a doctor but will not give you a full diagnosis.

Anonymous

i think you are just sad because if you would be depressed you couldnt laugh or smile and sleeping well or eat decently.

hopefulLight24

Feeling sad so much of the time, unmotivated and crying for many hours continuously are characteristic of depression. Depressed people are not just sad all the time 24/7. Depending on your experience, you may still sleep, eat, smile and laugh.

blissfulSound26

You can just be sad if you experienced a traumatic event. However, if its interfering with your everyday life, there might be a bit more than just sadness. It is always best to consult with a therapist.

Tiffany88

There is a wide spectrum of depression. Perhaps you are depressed or perhaps it's the natural progression of feelings throughout your day based on the events that are occurring in your life. If you truly suspect depression ask to be accessed by your doctor. It is a neurological disorder.

Anonymous

being depressed can be shown in different ways. what you're explaining is depression. feeling unmotivated basically gives it away and the crying for many hours. but you wont know. it depends on if you've been constantly feeling this way for 2 weeks or more or not

NightDreamWhisperer92

It's neither depression or sadness. It's a peaceful truce between the heart and the soul that learn how to move forward by each other' assistance.

Anonymous

It's hard to say without a doctor talking to you but you do have the symptoms, just because you laugh and smile doesn't mean it's not a possibility

Anonymous

Depression affects different people in different ways. Just because you sleep and eat well doesn't mean you can't have depression. A question you might want to ask yourself is if there is a particular cause you can identify as the cause of your sadness? You may also want to consider talking to a doctor or psychiatrist to be completely sure. If not there are plenty of screening tests that can help you can a better idea!

Anonymous

Feeling overwhelmed with sadness and unmotivated also constant crying is definitely a sign of depression. People with depression still laugh, smile and even enjoy themselves for a small amount of times but unfortunately it will always fall back into the same patterns of sadness, crying and feeling unmotivated. I suggest you see your GP and sit down and have a 1 on 1 about the ways you are feeling. It's better to get it under control before it gets too hard to handle the situations. Take care.

sonofbard

Depends on how long this has been going on. If this has been going on for a couple weeks you may be depressed

AngelFace97

It sounds more like hormones than depression or sadness.Hormones are present throughout life and are natural.

Anonymous

You are probably sad over something you lost or some experience that hurted you better talk to someone who would listen carefully & try to help you later on you will go back to your normal life whenever it's resolved

LittleLemon96

you are mostly sad, there is a certain reason that makes you cry that way, you should just try to dig into the deep you to figure it out so you can solve it. Good luck.

ListeningBunny22

Honestly, I feel this way sometimes, you are not depressed just passing through a sad phase of something you keep recalling.

Anonymous

I think you are depressed but not in a serious level of depression. You still can cover it with smile and it just so cool :)

Anonymous

It sounds like you may be depressed. Only you know for sure, of course. Seeking professional counseling could be very beneficial.

peachicus

Generally if you've been feeling like this for over a couple months its likely to be depression, crying for hours at a time does make me think you may need to speak to someone to talk through whats upsetting you.

imheretohelpyouXx

I can't answer that exact considering in not a professional,I recommend you maybe get tested by a doctor to know for sure x

EsmeRose

This could very well be depression. As someone who has experienced depression, you learn to hide it from yourself and from others. Although you can smile and laugh, eat, sleep, these are all "in the moment" feelings. However you can overall be depressed. This can be hard to understand and explain but its best seen as depression as it is a continuous cycle.

LovelyKittyCat

This is hard to tell. Seeing a psychiatrist and performing tests to determine whether you have depression is probably the safest route.

baymax2

It's often difficult to self-diagnose, which is why it's important to see a health professional if you feel you may be putting yourself or others at risk. Let's look at this question logically. Let's say that I assert that you are definitely not depressed. Would that change how you feel? No, it probably wouldn't stop you from feeling sad and unmotivated. However, what if I said you were? Would that change how you feel? No, it probably wouldn't either. Having a name to your feelings may provide temporary relief, but it is not something that will fix anything. For this reason, if you need help then I would suggest opening up to those who may be able to provide comfort. Friends and family may be one resource. A professional, however, will always be the most expert source.

RobRH

Many people suffer different levels of depression. Everybody goes through difficult times, it's important to remember how normal this is

Jesse1285

Depression can present in many ways and it will present differently for every person who develops it. The best course of action if you feel these things are impacting you is to see a professional who can help you come up with a plan to deal with these things, or refer you to someone who can help.

CharlieMorningstar

There are many different kinds of depression. It can come and go, you can feel perfectly normal a lot of the time. If you're feeling sad and unmotivated and this is a recurring feeling, you should seek help from a counselor or therapist. They'll help you figure out what's best for you.

Ronia

try to do something new in your life.like help someone,talk to trusted someone , re plan your life.i think you have alot to do

Anonymous

Depression comes in many forms. Just because you're not sad 24/7 doesn't mean you're not depressed.

Riko

It depends. Depression is not limited to just decreased appetite or crying. If you feel 'empty' and lonely all the time. Also, if nothing is meaningful for you anymore, plus all this disturbs your daily functioning for 2 or more than 2 weeks then you should seek professional advice.

brigettebee

If you feel sad, it goes away after a day or two and you feel like your normal self again. If you're depressed, the feeling of sadness continues for weeks or even months and it can be accompanied by low self-esteem and energy, difficulty remembering or concentrating on things and suicidal thoughts to name a few

Anonymous

It is great that you have identified the behavior. It might be a good idea to step back and try identifying anything that might be making you feel this way. Maybe you are stressed because of school or work. Maybe something hasn't been working out the way you wanted it to. If you can't pinpoint anything that is making you feel this way, maybe talk to someone (7cups listeners) and that can help clear things up.

Anonymous

depression feels like empty and numbness, not feeling like doing things you love to do, wanting to sleep all day, wanting to harm your body feeliing worthless

helpyou

You are sad. You need to pamper yourself. Love yourself. Take care of yourself. Do things that make you happy.

LeonMcLion

Think of depression like an unwanted visitor. It is not always there, when it's not there you can still manage to laugh along and smile to other people like you're perfectly fine but when it comes to visit you, that is where everything seems to break down.

Anonymous

You may be feeling sad and low at this time, from my own experience - during bouts of depression, the person can't find one thing to smile about and feels nothing to look forward to.

royalWillow84

You might have a mild case of depression but mild does not mean less serious. Contact a doctor and seek help. It wont make you weird or less amazing. Over half the population deals with depression.

Anonymous

It could be bipolar depression. I've struggled with this for quite awhile. It gets easier and you can get through it

Anonymous

it is probably both. It could be like times in my life when this happens and I am just low or depressed and at other times I am able to see some hope.

ennaeyx

You should seek trained professionals for help on this subject, however in my own opinion, a lot of these signs seem to show as symptoms of depression.

brickbrickandtheocean

You may just be going through a bout of sadness, or you may have a serious problem. Just because you can smile or laugh sometimes does not make your problem invalid. Also just because you sleep and eat does not make it invalid. If you need any support do not hesitate to contact me

WorkInProgress11

No one can diagnose you as depressed other than a doctor. However, apathy, lack of motivation, and extended periods of sadness can be indicators of depression. I recommend going to see a doctor if this lasts longer than two weeks to get a professional opinion and hopefully some help.

Anonymous

its hard to know if you're clinically depressed without an official diagnosis. it could be depression; just because you smile and are happy sometimes doesn't mean you don't have depression.

Recent Answers
Anonymous

I think you're just sad. It would be better if you reach out and communicate with your friends and family more. Having positive people around you would light up your day.

Neremis92

I found that if I am sad more than 75% of the time for over 3 weeks, then I consider myself depressed and will reevaluate my life to see where that depression comes from. If it is psychological, biological or something else.

JulietSivan

Depression is not about feeling down (!)all the time(!). It’s a serious mood disorder but you still can laugh sometimes and have fun with closest friends, it works like a distraction. Generally, depression is about how you feel (!)most of the time(!). It causes symptoms that affect the way you work, think & etc. In that case I recommend you to visit therapist so you can get some help from a professional doctor. Wish you all the best.⭐️

happyrainbow93

My suggestion for you is to go to the doctor or to have an appointment with a psychologist to know more about your situation since this is not enough information. Don't jump to conclusions or diagnose yourself. it is possible you have a mild or moderate depression. However, sometimes I think it is not so important to diagnose or label your symptoms but to start to do something about it. It is good that you are here at 7 cups, this can be the start to increase your skills to deal with your symptoms.

Anonymous

If you feel like you are depressed, try and contact a therapist or GP. They can decide if you're depressed or just sad. But try talking to people and motivating yourself to keep going. There are different sides to depression.

lovelyJewel61

Being depressed is more then just being sad, on occasions. what you are going through can be depression. i cannot say it's not. do you feel sad even when you smile and laugh? do you feel sad even when your out with friends or at an event that is supposed to make you feel good? depression isn't just being upset is is more to it then that. it's an feeling that you have that feels like you cant get rid of.

BlueberryCoffee

Depression doesn’t mean you’re sad 24/7, or that you can’t function at all. Many people with depression can sleep perfectly well, or function at work, or feel excitement around a crush, or belly laugh at a good joke. Depression manifests differently in different people, or even at different times in the same people. Like most illnesses, symptoms vary and you won’t necessarily have every single one. Just like a bad day every once in a while doesn’t mean you’re depressed, a good day every once in a while doesn’t mean you aren’t.

softSugar96

This can be a sign of a relapse of depression, but it could also be stress-induced. I know that when I am depressed I feel some of the same symptoms, but can still function somewhat normally for the most part. Some relapses can be more severe than others, and it may not last as long either. I hope this helps!

IAmARainbowFlower

You might be. I am depressed at times and I eat, smile and laugh. I find it hard to cry most times even though I need too.

SilverisSarah
December 22nd, 2017 11:46pm

Hi, I really hope you get better soon and I am sorry that you feel down. If you want I may talk with you if you need to vent about this. A certified therapist would be the best resource to help you getting a diagnosis, as they specialize in the field of the mind.

LetsTalkLife24

It would be impossible to tell without a professional diagnosis. However, I can tell you that people with depression are able to experience brief sensations of happiness sometimes, and lack of sleep and appetite are only outward symptoms of depression. A person can still be depressed even if they are sleeping and eating normally.

ChamomileTea5202

Depression has many faces and can manifest itself in many different ways. Sometimes you may just need someone to talk to and support you for a chat or two, but other times it could be more serious. For a full understanding and/or diagnosis of depression seek a mental health professional as they are the ones qualified to make such an assessment.

Anonymous

I am not qualified to give you a definitive labelled condition. However, I used to feel very similar to this and I often cried for many hours when I was alone but was able to laugh in front of others. In my case, I was just trying to please the other people in my life and not cause any worry but I do not know if this is the same for you. How long have you been feeling like this?

Anonymous

In my opinion, you could be sad about something happening in your life. Would you like to talk about your situation more?

Paigerey

Depression comes in many different forms, and just because you might still be functioning doesn't mean that you are okay inside.

emma555

Although I don't know about your specific situation, it looks like you may be going though depression. Even if you are not depressed, it sounds like you are going through a tough time and your feelings are still just as valid. Feel free to message me or another listener to talk this through.

Anonymous

Well, I cannot diagnose you with depression or anything else since I'm not a professional. And I'm not diagnosed with depression myself since I am too afraid to talk or be around people- but I can at least say I totally get what you're feeling. Depression is feeling low if we try to put it to words- but you must remember there can be good days along with the bad ones. Feeling unmotivated, having a lack of concentration, feeling like you have no energy to complete simple tasks are some of the symptoms of depression. If you are experiencing them, I suggest you see a professional in order to understand yourself better. But I understand that you may have worries- for example I get worried and feel bad sometimes because I have a good day. Am I faking? Am I mentally healthy, or am I doing this for attention. I just went out and had a good time- does that mean my depression isn't valid? I like to think have a decent relationship with my parents and they do not abuse me, I don't get bullied at school, and even though I have my concerns about how I look or what I eat, I still eat pretty decent- so what's with these depressive episodes? But when I think back with a healthier state of mind I can say that it's okay to have a good day. It's normal behavior to laugh about things and have fun with friends. If you really feel the need to get help, please do. Don't let the thought of "What if I'm just sad and don't need help" stop you from getting it. Everything is better when you have some nice little help- please be safe.

LimpyT

Speak to a doctor, something is likely to be underlining the reason for your current state of mind. Talking about it may help identify why its happening and will help promote a better quality of life.

Imgentlesoul

Do you know the specific reason why you are crying? Is it just a general feeling , or are there certain factors in your life that contribute to it, such as a divorce, loss of a loved one, losing a job, financial stress, etc. I think knowing that will help with the answer to this question. I hope you are having more happy days since writing that.

Will22

It depends. Being depressed requires certain symptoms to happen over a period of time. Eating, sleeping, motivation, and feeling down are all aspects of depression and to be considered. Ultimately, more information is required to determine if one is depressed based on the information given.

Anonymous

Definitely depressed. Why else would you feel so sad while everything seems to be going peachy in life? Its more than just sadness thats causing this...

Anonymous

It might just be sadness. Do you know whether you struggle with “winter blahs” or other seasonal depression? Did something bad happen very recently? Are you a young female whose hormones are maturing? If you can honestly answer yes to any of the above, those clues can help you uncover the why behind how you feel.

Licomysterious

You are missing someone may be yourself. You have forgotten how you use to be. Or may be you are too emotional

gracefulJoy29

You are sad and As well as moody... I guess u r alone and no 1 there for your attention so by that u r not able to sleep do t worru

samsagaz

Depression is not just being sad, not eating at all or not sleeping well. There might be an intense sadness or something that is worrying you more than you would like to. To be sad more than the usual and unmotivated are signs of moderate depression. You can read more online here: https://www.helpguide.org/articles/depression/depression-symptoms-and-warning-signs.htm.

SalParadise

Depression takes many forms, one diagnose doesn´t fit all. If you can identify the thing that makes you sad, its usually a good sign because a known threat can be worked with, either with professional help or with support. But if you feel like that and don´t know the cause, maybe its best to consult with a specialist. In doubt, dont be afraid to seek professional help, they are there to assist you

LotsofLove92

Depression is a funny one because we picture someone who is just eternally devastated and constantly sad and basically checked out of life. But the reality is that people with depression are not always 100% sad. Of course they have a genuine mental illness, but it's like when you have food poisoning, you feel extremely ill but you can still have positive points during that time. However with depression being something so serious, it's best not to be idle when it comes to your mental health. Seek help from your GP if you feel like your sadness and down periods are getting more frequent or are concerning you. There's no shame in asking for help, your mental health is just as important as your physical help.

LJBedardMACounsellingPsychology
September 22nd, 2017 12:50am

There are varying degrees of depression, from mild to moderate to severe. If you are not sure it might be a good idea to talk to your doctor. Sometimes in life, situations make us sad, like losing a friend, losing a pet, etc., in which case sadness is appropriate. We are supposed to be sad sometimes. Other times there are hormonal, genetic factors or trauma from the past that contributes to our overall sense of not feeling well. That's why talking to a professional can help to sort things out and determine what's going on, why and what to do about it. Hang in there, and please try to be kind to yourself :)

Streudel

You may be in a bit of a middle ground of sadness and depression. This case sounds more like sadness because of the fact that there is more crying involved. Some people who are depressed feel like they cant cry.

niamh333

If you think you may be depressed it would be best to see a professional about it as I am not trained to make that diagnosis. However, feeling sad, unmotivated and crying a lot are signs of depression, and someone with depression can still smile, laugh, sleep and eat. It affects everyone differently and people cope in different ways. If in doubt, it is best to speak to someone about it! :)