Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Who can I talk to if I am dealing with a serious problem about my parents?

30 Answers
Last Updated: 12/04/2018 at 10:07pm
1 Tip to Feel Better
United States
Moderated by

Melissa Strauss, LPC

Licensed Professional Counselor

I am client focused and believe everyone has a strength. I feel confident in seeing clients with generalized and social anxiety, depression and relational goals.

Top Rated Answers
November 25th, 2014 4:50pm
The best way to deal with the problems with your parents are to confront your parents about the issue you are having
December 14th, 2014 5:28pm
You can talk to your friends, or a specialist like your school's counselor. Anyone else's point of view outside of your family environment can help.
November 25th, 2014 1:24pm
You can seek professional help from your gp if it is medical wise, otherwise i would contact your local authority
November 26th, 2014 6:09am
Talk to a friend or a trusted, responsible adult. You can talk to your parents too, but only if you feel safe doing so.
November 27th, 2014 7:10pm
Depending on your age, can you talk to a school counselor or therapist? High schools and colleges often offer such assistance for free. If there is a third party adult that you trust in your family (or just close to you), you can talk to them.
December 21st, 2014 12:50am
Talk to someone you trust! This may be a teacher, maybe your grandparent, but make sure it's someone you trust and that can help you in the situation - dont keep it all bottled up!
December 4th, 2014 11:20pm
You can talk to a pastor/priest, or maybe a counselor. Someone who is not related to you and your parents. It is for you to see another perspective about your problem with them.
December 19th, 2014 11:00pm
Someone you trust such as a friend or an adult you are close with. Maybe even a guidance counselor at school or social worker who can take steps to help you and your families situation.
December 28th, 2014 3:36am
You can talk to the school counselor if you are dealing with a serious problem about your parents.
January 2nd, 2015 8:50am
A person that I can trust, or a person you feel comfy with as for me its my grandma, or I go and talk to my parents and try to deal with it by myself.
June 22nd, 2015 11:19pm
You can talk with us here on 7cups (always) but... do you have a best friend? Someone you know you can count on? If you do, talk to them. Even if you feel like you're ''boring'' them, you aren't. They surely love you and they wanna help you as much as possible...
September 1st, 2015 3:57pm
We here at 7 Cups of Tea are always here to listen. You can talk to us and we will listen. Other people in your family can also help, siblings can often times be helpful because they may be experiencing similar feelings, or another family member, or perhaps close friends. Anyone you feel safe and you feeling comfortable talking to.
September 21st, 2015 8:09pm
You can start by talking to your parents first and letting them know how you feel. If that doesn't work, you can talk to someone you trust. Like a guidance counselor or a trusted adult like a friend or another relative. Good Luck.
September 29th, 2015 12:38pm
Any trusted adult that can truly help you whether if it's your therapist, friends mom, teacher, school social worker, just anyone you trust enough.
October 27th, 2015 5:36pm
log onto 7cupsoftea. :) Always there for you for any kind of emotional support.Vent it out , like it's said a problem shared is a problem halved.
November 9th, 2015 9:54pm
If you are in school, then the guidance counselor would be a safe bet. But, it also depends on the severity of the problem. A guidance counselor is good to talk to, but if there's any suspected abuse going on, they would probably have to notify the authorities.
January 26th, 2016 1:05pm
Here at 7cups, there are trained active listeners available around the clock to support you and listen to your problems. Though we cannot offer you advice, we can direct you to useful resources and help you figure out the best way to help yourself. We are here to listen and help you through this tough phase. However, if your problem is more serious (e.g abuse) and needs a physical solution then we can refer you to the right people (e.g make a police report / abuse hotline etc.)
February 2nd, 2016 5:32pm
There are several options here depending on the severity of the problem. (If it is extremely serious you can call child services/police). If it is not very serious, then find another close and trusted family member to talk to about it. You can also go to your GP and ask them to refer you to a therapist (the therapist will help you deal with your parents whatever the problem is).
February 16th, 2016 1:46am
You could talk to someone that you trust and feel comfortable talking too. If you don't have anyone like that then you can talk to a counselor or therapist about it.
February 16th, 2016 9:36pm
You can talk to a guidance counselor, another relative like an uncle or aunt or a pastor or even a teacher. But that is if you can't talk to them on your own
June 20th, 2016 11:25am
Firstly, you could try talking to your parents about it. However, if that isn't possible, the listeners at 7cups are available to listen to you, and provide you comfort. So am I. :)
July 11th, 2016 7:42pm
You can talk to a friend, or you could talk to a responsible adult such as another family member, a doctor, a school teacher, or a guidance counsellor.
July 26th, 2016 8:01pm
You can talk with a close friend or with a counselour for instance the school counselour ^^ An adult who is more mature and that you trust ^^
December 12th, 2017 5:08am
you can talk to your best friend..or try to contact a have to tell your story to someone who will understand you
February 13th, 2018 8:56pm
You can always talk to a teacher or counsellor at school. Sometimes teachers can give good advice for you, and they understand that sometimes kids go through hard things in their life.
February 27th, 2018 4:26am
First, if you are not safe, you should talk to a trusted adult. This can be a family member, school counselor or anyone who can help you get out of your situation. If you are safe, try talking with a listener on here or a friend who has your best interest in heart. It can be hard to get along with your parents, but for the most part, its not impossible! You can even reach out and talk to them! Perhaps writing them a letter expressing how you feel or even in a poem. Whatever you do, don't hold it in and remember, you are not alone!
July 31st, 2018 1:08am
I would seek help from other members of your family and then look from there to other members of your community that can support your issues
August 14th, 2018 11:25am
Someone you trust! Friends, teachers, counsellors.. the important part is to tell someone, don't keep it a secret xo
September 3rd, 2018 11:27pm
There are so many people you can talk to! You can talk to many people here on 7 cups of tea. There are some great listeners and therapists who are willing to help you. You an also connect with a therapist who lives or works close to where you live. They will help you through anything, and are liscenced to give advice. You can also talk to a family member or close friend at school, work, or any extracurricular activity or sport you do. Pretty much, just find someone you really trust to keep what you tell them private.
December 4th, 2018 10:07pm
Well if you can not talk to your parents then I would ask the great friends around you to helping you out and if that is not working then maybe talk to someone at the school about your problems and then maybe they can help you out better by even getting you a therapist to helping you get through what your dealing with in your life. It is important not to push people away from you find the problem and get the person the help that they need. And I know that we do not have all the answers but it is important that we can lead them to someone that can in the end. This is how I would deal with someone that has a serious problem that I could not help them with.