Why do I want bad things to happen to me?

Zeina Ghoul, LLPC

I help guide clients to create positive change in a non-judgmental and supportive atmosphere.

empathiclistener20
Form my experience it is usually either because you feel you deserve it, possibly cause you don't like yourself or because your not getting something out of life. For example I knew someone who always thought about being kidnapped or wanted to be kidnapped. They didn't actually want to be kidnapped, they just wanted someone to care about them and think of them as someone important in their lives.
Anonymous
I blame myself for every bad thing that happens around me. To wish for bad things to happen is kind of a punishment for all the hassle I think I created. There's this feeling inside of me which represents my thoughts that good will never happen to me, I believe it never had and never will. When bad things happen it feels like it is real, my life is smooth and it's going as it should be, good things leads me to a fantasy world where I think every aspect of life and sunshine and butterflies. But of course nothing lasts for long, and life plays a joke on you throwing you to the ground from the highest cliff you reached, back to nothing. I want bad things to happen to save myself from the heartbreak that will be followed by a nightmare after a bright life.
ZahraS22
There's no singular answer to this question. Of course, why you want bad things to happen to you, could depend on various circumstances. It is quite unclear in your question exactly how you feel. However, I could give you a few possible reasons which hopefully can give you an idea. Having suicidal ideation could play a major part in believing that you deserve something disastrous to happen to you. However, just wanting bad things to happen to you doesn't make you suicidal. There are multiple other symptoms that ultimately help identify a suicidal individual. It's better to be diagnosed first. Nevertheless, this strong desire could be an underlying symptom of suicidal tendencies. I can sense that you're sincerely suffering and a big part of your focus seems to wishing yourself harm. It is psychologically unhealthy to wish such occurrences for yourself. I would recommend seeing both a therapist and psychiatrist since therapist could help you examine why you are having thoughts of self-harm whereas a psychiatrist could prescribe you medicine to help decrease your unwanted thoughts. I am in no way a licensed therapist, but I've noticed that individuals with anxiety disorders often describe having these intrusive thoughts. You might want to get diagnosed so you can take necessary steps for proper treatment. People with schizophrenia often describe having similar thoughts. The voices in their head are quite intrusive and intent on self-harm. Lastly, I want to remind you that I'm not a trained therapist. These are just mere suggestions to assist you understand your situation better. I would suggest seeing a therapist so you can get professional help and generally, a therapist can refer you to a psychiatrist. Hopefully, this brief discussion helped you identify the issue clearly! ~Zahrađź’•
Anonymous
It sounds like you are experiencing a stressful moment in your life. Your mind is probably full of bad thoughts about yourself, but I want you to know that you are WORTHY. You are really important, and I don't want you to ever forget that.
EnlightenmentInLife
I want bad things to happen to me because I want to grow and become a better person through the lesson the world was teaching me. I like to think of humans as muscles, if you want to become stronger, you have to rip and tear a little to regrow stronger and better,
compassionateDay97
Your mindset could be fixated on the fact that you don't deserve happiness, this could be linked to depression. You also probably feel that you deserve things to happen badly to you.
honestCup9909
I feel the same way. For me, it's partly because other people deal with those things and I don't feel the proper empathy for them so I just get really upset and wish those things would happen to me. I also want anything that would be bad for me because it's a self-destructive thing.
ObliviousCupcake92
This can be a sign of trying to work through something bad that may have occurred previously. It could also be because we feel a need to punish ourselves, for various reasons. Furthermore, if a person has suffered long-lasting abuse, it is what feels familiar to them. And familiar feels safe so it could also be a way to feel safe.
Anonymous
Bad things are what make the good things distinguishable from bad. Without unhappiness, there would be nothing to show what happiness is.
gloriousWings68
Sounds like your sad, or depressed, if your ever thinking of harming yourself please call the suicide hotline, other then that I recommend telling your parents or getting a therapist
Anonymous
We think about things and want things that are bad for us because we think we deserve them. However, no one deserves the bad.
Sunshinegirl262
A lot of us deal with some form of guilt. Sometimes even in an indirect form, like guilt for not living up to perceived expectations. This is often the root cause for wanting bad things to happen to us, because we believe we deserved to be punished
Teasley4031
Depending on what you've been through in life wanting bad things to happen to you is just something you expect out of life It's what's comfortable and it's what you areat used to, but that doesn't mean that things can't change or that your outlook on life can't change!
charmingDreamer45
It might be because your in a bad place at the moment and you dont really know what you want. Maybe you should consider talking to someone about your feelings. Bottling your feelings up will only make it worse.
Anonymous
In my personal experience with life, sometimes we want bad things to happen to us to punish and atone for the things we have done wrong in life or because we feel we deserve it when we dont. When life throws a lot at us, we allow it to hurt us and decrease our self worth and value causing us to feel that we deserve bad things to happen to us based on life. Sometimes life can be cruel and hurtful but it takes pushing through the hurt and the pain to find the good and the joy in life.
Gabbyisheretohelp
I like to think that life is like a rainbow. You can need a little bit of rain to make something beautiful. Sometimes we feel like the world is falling apart but there's always going to be a better day that you need to look forward to. Bad days make us appreciate good days which is something that you should look forward to. Life is all about balance and you can't have it all good without a little bit of bad.
Anonymous
Some people feel that way because they're lonely and want someone to pay attention to them and help them, or they may feel guilty and that they deserve punishment. Talking to people about these thoughts can help a lot and they are nothing to be ashamed of.
ingeniousJoy12
Sometimes when we experience hurt or pain we can become used to it so we try to replicate it because I helps us feel normal. Other people can make us feel not worth anything and when we hear it enough we believe it and feel we deserve bad things to happen to us. The truth is you are amazing and no one else can do things the way you can. You are important and deserve good things.
beautifullycomplicated
Because you don't feel as though you deserve to be happy because you've been unhappy for so long. It's an unrelenting cycle that you have to break. Just know that you deserve to be happy.
Anonymous
Maybe you feel this need to somehow punish yourself? Do u think that you deserve to be in pain and unhappy? That may be self destructive behavior
BlindFaith
I am not sure why it happens, but I think it is because I worry about bad situations so I bring it onto myself. I believe that energy is like a light that shines inward and outward. If I imagine good things than good things happen as well as negative things.
Anonymous
Because you think you deserve it, but that isn't true. You never deserve bad things and pain. People love you, even tho it doesn't feel like it.
Anonymous
It could be because you are depressed. I would talk to a friend or maybe a counselor and see if they can help
Cryptidchild
Honestly? I'm asking this question to myself over and over again, yet I don't have answer that would make sense. Every human being is different and therefore their reasons are different.
Anonymous
Your going through something that you need to talk to a close friend, or relative about. Or even a thereapist.
mcstar
Because bad things help you grow and builds your strength. As the famous adage goes, "Experience is the best teacher." Experiencing bad things allows you to learn things that will help other people that will experience the same situation. Who knows, you might experience it again, but since you learned how to brave it, you will be able to brave it again and again.
Emily619
Oftentimes, when people are at a mental low, they may wish negative events upon them to lessen their mental load and take their mind off of what's bothering them. However, it can often result in even worse outcomes because it is only bad events stacked on top of bad events.
ConsolingPenguin
Because it may be what you think you deserve. When you have low self-esteem, you have low self-respect. Imagine saying and doing the stuff you believe should be happening to yourself to a close friend or small animal. Would you do it? Or try looking in the mirror and saying one positive thing about yourself each day. No repeats! You can't look in the mirror and see good when you expect to see bad.
Anonymous
I don't know why but you cant help it and sometimes you sabotage yourself. But the only thing one can do is realize, it's very difficult to get back on the right track but only we can help yourself in these cases. I know cause I go through the same thing, I try my best to set everything but then I am back to square one. I just don't give up. I suggest the same!
ElegantUnicorn01
It's always sad to hear when someone says this. One may have low self-worth, and thus feel that they deserve to receive poor treatment. Perhaps one feels that they deserve to be punished for something they have done wrong, no matter how small or insignificant it actually was. Having low self worth/esteem and punishing oneself creates an ongoing cycle that needs to be broken to be resolved. Either way, it generally boils down to low self-esteem and self-worth.