Why doesn't taking care of myself come naturally to me?

Shruti Naik, MS in Counselling and Psychotherapy

I'm passionate about providing a non-judgmental & supportive platform to my clients to help them understand & accept themselves & overcome any emotional issues troubling them.

Anonymous - Expert in Getting Unstuck
There are a myriad of reasons why we may not take care of ourselves well. Maybe we've always relied on others to take care of us, or we never really picked up the good habits as a kid and we struggle to pick them up now. Maybe the experiences we go through saps us of energy we needed for ourselves. At any rate, few things come naturally to us, we don't even think now when we walk but when we first tried out our legs they wouldn't go where we wanted them and kept wobbling and collapsing. Know that whatever efforts you make to take care of yourself will count in the short run and the long run ^^
Anonymous - Expert in Getting Unstuck
I'm not sure because I"m not you, but I can offer some things to think about. Building healthy habits takes a long time and mostly starts in our young childhood. If, when we're chlidren, we take the attitude of "well I have my whole life to learn this so I won't do it now" we are much less likely to learn it later or apply it to our lives appropriately. Having said that, once we recognize that we are lacking routine in certain habits, we have the opportunity to try again to set routines for ourselvse - and routines are best when it comes to taking care of ourselves, because it programs these actions into our brains. If we don't love ourselves due to self-confidence issues, depression, or another challenge, we may not see "the point" in taking care of ourselves. If this is the case, building healthy habits is even more difficult, but that's okay! If you work on your self-confidence and self-love, while also trying to keep to at least part of a routine, you may begin to see a difference. If you miss a day or a task, don't beat yourself up over it - just acknowledge that you missed it and try again the next day; but always reward yourself for the tasks or days that you totally take care of yourself with
Anonymous - Expert in Getting Unstuck
Sometimes you can feel like you don't deserve to be taken care of, but you just have to remember that you deserve it as much as everyone else. Never be afraid to put yourself first, and as you do you'll find that the people around you adjust their behaviours as well. Learn to really love yourself and things will always improve. You are amazing and have everything to live for.
Anonymous
Sometimes a person can get stuck in a form of depression, where self-care seems like a overwhelming task. I do not know if this applies to your situation or not.
KevinJoel
Sometimes I struggle with self-care as well. For me, one reason is self-esteem or self-respect: I don't always regard myself positively, so it can seem like I don't deserve good self-care. At those times, I try to practice self-acceptance. For me, that means seeing myself non-judgmentally and compassionately, the way I would regard a close friend. It's a paradox: when I can love myself as I am, I am more able to make positive changes, like doing more to care for myself. Often, one question I ask myself is: what would I do for or say to a loved one in need of support, then I try to treat myself that same way.
CLMarshal57
Probably because your brain is saying that you deserve the abuse. Maybe your brain is constantly supplying thoughts oh how you're ugly and worthless and deserve to skip a meal because if someone in Africa is skipping a meal then so do you and how you are stu- Needless to say, it's all in your head. It's going to be tough, but you need to combat these thoughts and starting eating at least once a day. Start buying that shirt that you really wanted. Because, believe it or not, you are an amazing human being who deserves so much more than I can give you.
CharlieMorningstar
You're not alone, it doesn't come naturally to many people! At some point, putting other people first teaches you that you come second, and in your own life, your mental and physical wellness should always come first. Picking up healthy habits for your mental and physical state is a learning process, and everyone takes it at their own pace.
Chinmay96
We all are raised thinking negative about ourself, criticizing ourself thinking that our achievements and victories are not that big, seeing what others have better than us, even when it comes to love, we love others more than we love ourself! Maybe that is the reason taking care of us doesn't naturally comes to us!
thisherenow
We are socialized to think of "relationships" as something we have with others but not so much with ourselves. Developing a relationship with yourself may help you see more clearly how you would like to prioritize yourself within your life. There is emerging research in the fields of positive and organizational psychology that distinguishes among selfish, selfless, and "otherish" orientations. The selfish orientation is when you prioritize yourself over others. The selfless orientation is when you prioritize others over yourself. And the otherish oriention is when you think yourself as another person in your life. Research suggests that successful people in business tend to be "otherish." Try it out and see if it applies in your personal life as well.
lovingLynx89
Why do you feel this way? Can you share your thoughts on how you feel about this? Please feel free to share how you feel.
Anonymous
Taking care of myself doesn't come naturally to me as I never learned that I deserved to take care of myself or indeed, how to do it. I learned how to look after others when I was young. Now that I am an adult, I want to reaffirm my ability and desire to look after myself properly, as and when it is appropriate.
Anonymous
If you struggle with feelings of worthlessness or depression, it can become difficult to focus on yourself, or you may lack the energy it takes to take care of your basic needs. It takes energy, and dedication!
OlgaParis
Self-care consists of many routine actions and not all of them are interesting or exiting. You need to develop healthy habbits and then self-care will come almost automaticly and won't require much effort. Forming habbits is difficult but it is worth it.
Anonymous
I was raised in a culture that praises the ignoring of ones needs. Even going to the doctor was made out to be a bad thing. If you couldn't "muscle through" you were made out to be weak. I internalized that message and learned to ignore my needs. It took a lot of therapy to undo that damage, but now I am proud of the fact that I take great care of myself.
ListeningJeff
Failing to take care of myself generally stemmed from a history of others pressuring me to put their wants and needs ahead of my own. Self-care is a skill, and like any skill, it requires regular practice to maintain. Instead, I practiced always putting others ahead of myself, even to my own detriment. So, I had to take a real mindful effort to prioritize myself and take care of my needs to begin making it a regular practice.
HopieRemi
Sometimes some people are better at taking care of others rather than caring for themselves. Sometimes we forget how important self-care is or know it's important but rather do other things. What makes self-care difficult for you?
Anonymous
I think we can all feel like we don't deserve to take care of ourselves...even though we definitely deserve all the self-love we can give!
romanticthi3f
To be honest, I don't think it comes naturally to anyone! We're taught how to tie our shoes and brush our teeth, but never about the importance of self-care - even though they are both so important! Try to think of taking care of yourself as a practice. We aren't born knowing how to ride a bike, but instead we learn ever so slowly, until it can become habitual. I believe that taking care of ourselves is exactly the same.
Anonymous
It feels like I am not as important as the others around me even though we are all humans and all humans deserve the same amount of love and care. I need to understand my worth sometimes and I know that's okay. I just compare myself to others too much and feel like they deserve more than me. But taking care of me is just too much sometimes and I understand that I need to work on it. Taking care of me is the least I could do for such an amazing soul that's kept me going in life.
amethystLantern
I can't tell you what your specific reason is since it's different for different people, but I CAN tell you this is really common for many different reasons. If you need help to figure this out, there's no shame in that at all. You're doing really great just by being here and seeking support. You know yourself better than anyone, and it might help to think about the times where you have done better and done worse at taking care of yourself, and identify the differences in your situation. I've been right there with you at times, and I know how awful it feels. Keep your head up and keep reaching out ♡
Maybe its the way that you were brought up, people in your family might have always told and promised you that they will always take care of you so there was no reason for you to take care of yourself. But its always good to learn how to take care of yourself because it will come handy someday.
AuntieGinger
Living a balanced life is hard work. It involves making choices that choose your health and well being over others and your immediate desires. You will probably encounter resistance, but in the end, taking care of yourself is worth it.
compassionateBubbles38
Sometimes we feel that we don't deserve to take care of ourselves. This is so untrue. We need to learn to love ourselves, and treat ourselves how we treat other people. Then taking care of yourself will come.
OceanRest
Many people struggle with self care or feel like it doesn't come naturally to them. Often that can happen because when we are children we mirror the behaviour of others towards us. Many adults still walk around with the internalized voices of their parents in their minds. When we grow older it might also happen that other people treat us poorly and we continue to mirror their behaviour towards us. It can also happen that we don't value ourselves or think that we are not worthy of self care. But that is simply not true. Another possibility is that it is difficult, because some people always feel that they have to put other people before themselves to the point that they have nothing left to give. That is not meaningful or maintainable. You can't give someone else water if there is no water in your own cup. Your first responsibility is towards yourself and if you've taken good care of yourself then you have good things to give to other people too. The good news is self care is something that can be learned. It will feel difficult or weird in the beginning and that's okay. Just keep practicing. Start with small and simple things and gradually work towards the bigger things. It's also okay if you struggle to learn it as a habit. It's also part of self care to have grace with yourself. So if you can't do it today you don't have to berate yourself. You can simply tell yourself that you will try again tomorrow. It does get easier.
Anonymous
This can happen a lot when you are someone that many people depend on. It is likely that you spend so much time helping others that at the end of the day, you don't have enough to put towards yourself. But that doesn't mean that helping others is a bad thing! However, it is good to set up limits and boundaries to make sure that, while you are helping others, you are still taking care of yourself. Personally, I tend to put other people's need before my own, and it's really hard to say no to others in situations where my own self-care is at risk. But it's important to keep in mind that your well-being comes before others'. It takes a lot of time to get used to treating yourself, but one step goes a long way.
paperCrane15
There can be many reasons. Usually it is caused by depression, even if you feel okay - something can bother you a lot.
Nilo1602
We tend to diminish our problems, to think they are not important, while we care more for the rest.
Activechris
It is just a way of life Some people just need a little help and guidance to show that it is natural
myzzlyzz
I always put myself last. Physically, emotionally, mentally. I am trying to make changes to put myself first. It isn't easy. But i have to make a conscious choice to come first.
Brighteyes86
Take care of oneself is something most people have to work at. The difference between someone that is doing more often than others, is they have made a chose and they make that chose every day to better themselves because that's what they want.