Does everyone secretly despise LGBTs although many openly claim to accept and love it, including LGBT members and allies? Are there really people who see LGBT as of equal worth as heterosexuals?

Melissa Hudson, MS Ed, PhD(c), LMFT

I work with clients of diverse backgrounds on a multitude of concerns. My approach is, at times, directive, yet always curious, nonjudgmental, collaborative, and validating.

Anonymous
I think it's easy to say that people who are LGBT wish they was a 'heterosexual' purely because it's easier; it doesn't mean they want to be. There could be many opinions to this question but in my opinion no, everyone doesn't secretly despise LGBTs.
LittleOleUs
Yes! There are. The LGBT+ community actively fights for equality, not because they want to become equal, but because they ARE equal, and they want the rest of the world to see that.
Nethersong
It is not unreasonable to think that there are some people who pretend to accept LGBTQ+ people so that they will not be called out on for being prejudiced. However, there are many people who do not see LGBTQ+ individuals as being any different outside of their sexual/romantic orientation or gender identity. You can see this through the many Gay-Straight Alliance groups, as well as the multitude of parents who fully accept their children.
Miodrag
Internalized homophobia does exist within the LGBT+ community, there is hate between the groups in it, and many people are homophobic even tho they don't think they are or just don't realize it. Some people are fine with certain aspects of the LGBT+ community while they hate or are angered by other aspects, this is mainly due to the fact that they are uninformed, misinformed, or have just conformed to the opinion of the majority or the people they are surrounded by. For example someone may be an ally and fight for the equality of LGBT+ and straight people but they see pride events as nothing other but a happening at which sex crazed lunatics get a chance to strip naked and dance around (something that might not even be happening at their country or near them, but they have seen it in more developed ones), and they are angered by the fact that something like this is allowed just because the government considers the LGBT people "special". In which case they are Ignoring the history of how Pride came to be and what is the main goal of it, and of course that their view of it is skewed because they are focusing on only the things they don't like. These people are still homophobic even if they might be considered an ally, they have made no effort to be more open minded and considerate, and are staying ignorant to the facts due to their personal feelings. And this isn't to say that in the LGBT+ community everyone is perfect, all societies are flawed, but some people like to strictly correlate certain flaws with specific types of people disregarding the actual prevalence of those flaws, which is again wrong. So the answer to your questions is no, not everyone despises the LGBT+ community, and there are many people who are open minded enough to see LGBT+ and heterosexual people as equal.
Anonymous
I was in charge of an assembly recently, and the theme I wished to express what "accepting one's orientation". This, on a superficial level, refers to LGBT. I wanted to tell everyone that it's okay for being who you are, for choosing what you choose and for liking whoever and whatever you like. However, the coordinator I was meant to get it confirmed from blatantly rejected my idea, claiming that such a topic isn't appropriate--especially for the youth aged 15-18. I was baffled because this was coming from a person who openly discussed acceptance of different races, religions and the likes. Quite strangely, she has even talked about being more open-minded about the happenings in the world, subtly and shortly bringing LGBT in the picture. However, all these talks were in front of our principal, further confirming her facade as she rejected it in his absence. To answer this question absolutely disheartened, I believe this is an example of people who secretly despise LGBT and refuse to widen their perspectives. It is our job to educate the youth, and the fact that she couldn't do so with the idea of the LGBT community was more than a shocker.
amazingLove26
September 22nd, 2016 8:18am
I would say that people judge whether they mean to or not, most though are pro lgbt. It isn't a black and white picture and people are often scared of what they don't understand. There are some branches of religion that say homosexuality and lgbt is a sin, however the same religious texts will say things that contradict that.
Enigmatica
September 22nd, 2016 9:45am
Well, I see it equally, and I know a lot others do too. But there will always be someone who hates or causes distress upon this. But that some do it doesn't mean everyone does.
SharonD
Out of experience I can say that there are people who truely consider LGBT members as equal. I think the major reason for this is their personal experience with homosexual individuals.
chloeross
No! Absolutely not. Many people support queer identifying people, I do not think people would lie about it. Most people just don't care because they realize other people's sexualities and genders don't concern them!
2cupsofteaa
I do think that there may be some who harbor discomfort towards LGBT but because of societal beliefs, try to appear supportive. However, I do feel like there are countless LGBT members and allies out there who truly believe in LGBT rights - as seen in gender rights, religion rights, racial rights and so on. So yes, I do believe that there are people who view LGBT as of equal worth as heterosexuals. Just because LGBTs are few in comparison to non-LGBTs does not mean that everyone secretly despises them. It may be surprising if you discover a friend to be LGBT because its not as prevalent, but that surprise does not mean rejection and hatred!
Anonymous
Yes, there are. In fact, I fully support the LGBT community and I woulf never despise anyone for not being heterosexual. Equality is important for everyone, including LGBT and I stongly belive that no one should be criticized for being diffrent.
Kenai
Oh course there are! I'm gay and my parents, family, and friends have been incredibly loving and supportive and I personally think that my sexuality has nothing to do with my inherent worth as a human being.
MeiStorm
People should all be equal. Nobody should discriminate each other. I think part of the LGBT community is against heterosexuals, but most are not.
SeekerOfHappiness01
Yes, there are lots of people who see everybody as equal. After all, we are all people no matter who we love. Granted, there are also people who pretend to be supportive due to the fact that their homophobia may make their friends or family dislike them, but not all people are like that.
turtlelyfe
Many people think of the LGBTQIA community as equals, activists campaign for their rights, everyone is the same underneath it all and everyone is individual inside and out, nobody can be blamed for how they are, everyone is different, it doesn't matter if it's sexuality, gender, appearance, personality, there is no higher power, no superior traits and no one should have the small mindedness to think so.
BlaireMack198
I am bisexual and I have a lot of straight friends who accept me and my other gay friends as well. A lot of people are accepting out there, you just need to find the ones that are :)
fancyKitty48
Many actually support LGBT community. But there are some who makes fun though. It depends on person
RaCat
I am member of LGBTQ+ and I do see our community equal to heterosexuals. Because the fact who you love or the fact your gender is shouldn't define us. Professional life, political life and even personal life and friendship has nothing to do with our orientation or gender, it's only affecting people we are dating and that's all. And I think I am not only the one who thinks in this way, there are many people who don't see homosexuals different than heterosexuals.
Anonymous
Yes, LGBT people are worth just as much as heterosexual, cisgendered people, and never let anybody tell you otherwise. Your worth as a person is NOT determined by who you are attracted to, or what gender you identify as.
freefromworries
There definitely are people who have no problem with anyone who belongs do the LGBTQ+ community! There is a lot of progress made in many minds that there is nothing wrong with being in love with the same-sex, questioning their gender identity, etc. Not everyone despises people who belong to the community, though sadly there are some who don't approve. That being said, there are definitely some people who do see those in the LGBTQ+ community as equals to those who are heterosexual.
Anonymous
Yes, although some people may not, there are people who do. I know I see them equally, so I guess that answers your question.
pixielatte
I don't think that's the case at all! If you imagine a gay person, imagine all of their family and friends - loving and caring about them! They wouldn't all be lying - would they? LGBT have so many real, legitimate allies who love and care about them. Of course they are equal to straight people! Before I even considered that might be gay, I respected LGBT people - and now that I know I'm gay I definitely see myself as equal - and would hope that others see me as equal too!
Charliemagic876
I think not everyone despises LGBTs, but some people who don't agree with it claim to love it. There are definitely people who thing that LGBTs are equal to heterosexuals
Anonymous
Yes there are, truly. I do for instance. And I don't know for sure but I believe all my friends and my family does too.
chaia
As a lesbian myself, if someone tells me they support the community, I believe them. There are many people who see the community as equal to heterosexuals, as they should. The world is becoming more accepting and there are definitely people who see us as equal and treat us as such. I don't think who you love or what gender you identify as should make you inherently better than anyone else and many others believe this too.
JoyfulForestRain
I do not believe that everyone despises LGBT people. Yes, there are some that claim to love and support it, but don't, but yet there are some who really do genuinely care. Seeing that as a view, I do believe that there are some who do see it as equal worth to heterosexuals, because that is how we should all think. Hopefully in the future we can rid this earth of homophobia, but until then let's all just show love and kindness. We are all the same. We all have blood, and breathe, so we should all be considered equal
Tegan3
Not everyone despises LGBTs. there are people that care and love LGBT and see them as equal worth as heterosexuals
Anonymous
After a long time I've come to see LGBT people as equal to heterosexuals. It is possible to overcome internalised homophobia. Society tends to other anything that does not fit within certain ideals and when people see LGBT people portrayed in a negative light, or even do not see us at all then it can be hard for them to confront the negative or confused feelings they get when thinking about LGBT people. It can be hard feeling like the world is against a certain group of people - particularly if you belong to that group! But it helps me to remember that generally people are just scared more than anything and that they don't understand as this gives me hope for the future.
Turtleduck49
Yes. I very strongly believe that there are. Im living proof. Any human is of equal worth to another human. I believe that they deserve equal respect for being human, and the utmost resoect for being so brave and so inspiring. The LBGT is an amazing community that I will restlessly protect.
lyla59342
Well, it needs to acknowledged that most people grow up viewing cisgender/heterosexual people as the norm, and that even well-meaning people hold onto that mindset for a while. But I can say with certainty that some people, in and out of the LGBT+ community, eventually do shed these preconceptions and do see LGBT+ people as having equal worth to cis/het people.