Does everyone secretly despise LGBTs although many openly claim to accept and love it, including LGBT members and allies? Are there really people who see LGBT as of equal worth as heterosexuals?

Melissa Hudson, MS Ed, PhD(c), LMFT

I work with clients of diverse backgrounds on a multitude of concerns. My approach is, at times, directive, yet always curious, nonjudgmental, collaborative, and validating.

LovEmil
Of course there are people who genuinely love and accept LGBT+ individuals! In my experience many lgbt pride groups have straight people in them who either have friends or family who are lgbt and wish to support them.
Anonymous
I don't think so. I know several people in my life who are full of love for the people they know, heterosexual and otherwise. I don't think that is a fake love. I know I myself, both before and after I realized I fall under the lgbt umbrella, truly see heterosexual and non-heterosexual people as equals and as people of equal value. In fact, I would say that most people who say they love the lgbt community mean it, even if there are those who don't.
Anonymous
We all have different perspectives with hetorsexuality and homosexuality. It can't be helped that there will be some who'll pretend that they support LGBTs.
Brian1969
December 22nd, 2016 7:44pm
I don't consider the value of anyone based on their sexual identity. I honestly think most people don't care who other people love or who they have sex with. From my experience, I think people are more put off by parading one's sexuality around than the actual nature of the sexuality. So no, most people don't despise LGBTQ+ identities. I just think most people aren't interested in the sex lives of strangers.
ColdFrayDay
This world has good people and bad people and just like that there are people who accept and love them, as well as the ones who don't. And yes, there are so many people who respect and see them as an equal because there's no reason for them to be treated differently just on the basis of who they love.
cafeintherain17
I am one of many who see LGBT+ as of equal worth as those who identify as heterosexual. We're all people, and love and attraction is a beautiful thing, not something to hate or look down upon. So even if you're surrounded by hatred right now, know at least that I (fellow member of that community) appreciate us all as being of equal worth. My family, friends, and community all feel the same way. You're supported and loved by many people all around the world. You're important. You're worth it.
Anonymous
Many of the members and allies support and love the LGBPT+ community, but I've met some homosexuals that are transphobic and transgender people that are homophobic. I even had a bisexual friend that is bisexual but didn't want to be. It really just depends on the person.
Anonymous
No, not everyone secretly despises LGBT people. While struggling with internalized homophobia could cause self-hatred or make it harder to accept other LGBT people, there are lots and lots of people who are proud to be whoever they are and accepting of the LGBT community in a genuine way--both allies and community members.
RaptorAttack
March 22nd, 2017 11:17pm
There are most certainly people that think of the LGBT community as equals. Obviously there will be some people who would say they support them, then turn around and secretly harbor a hatred. I don't believe that's the majority of people though. Society as a whole is making very long strides in accepting the LGBT populous, and it's very heart warming to see these people who would willingly fight for us, and treat us just like everyone else.
TranquilityQueen
I believe that any person, of any orientation, is of equal value. Just because a person likes the same sex (or the opposite), does not mean their worth as a human being changes.
Chimmysmallz
I can't answer for everyone but I could give a personalized answer. I really don't see why people get all bothered about LGBT. It doesn't matter what or who you like. Straight people have all sort of sexual quirks and desires also so I really don't see the big deal. I think LGBT makes most people uncomfortable because of what we were taught to expect from human relationships. People generally feel uncomfortable by behaviours or activities they see as outside the box so they try to shove it in. No matter how much a person may claim to be a supporter of LGBT, if you are brought up listening to the general idea that it is wrong, then you wouldn't feel completely comfortable and open with it. I think that it is best to judge people based on their character and their works and not on their sexual orientation. Go ahead and be free with yourself. You have to love and accept yourself before you acknowledge acceptance from anyone.
MissyR70
No,I know plenty of people who see them as equals. I see them as equals and I believe that sexual orientation has no bearing on whether someone is a good person or not.
quietshell
I think some people do say that they accept LGBTs even though inside they think it's wrong or weird. I personally don't believe that LGBT members would lie about liking a community they're in and supports them, that would be just wrong. Some LGBT allies may not say the truth about their opinion on the community as queerbating is a thing and they will just make them look good. But I am certain about this: I fully support the LGBT community and I see it as of equal worth as heterosexuals. There is no difference at all for me. I see a person, with their own looks and I don't assume their sexuality, I don't assume any sexuality. If someone says "I'm straight" I consider it a coming out. I will not under any circumstances variate my behavior in front of a person with a sexuality other than the one depicted as normal in our heteronormative society. I do know people who think just like me and who are in the LGBT community. They all see it the same way as I do: there are no LGBTs and heterosexuals but only humans.
Anonymous
It is true that there are many many people that use the "I have a gay friend" excuse when they say homophobic things. It is also true that many people are not supportive at all. However I can promise that most people who say "I support the LGBT community" really support the LGBT community and see us as equals.
JasonWonders
I am personally LGBT myself and see memebers of community as exquals to anyone because a person is a person. I think some people will always have a certain predisposition, but for example my sister has always embraced it and loved me and I know that could never be fake.
EIise
Well yes, as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, I can tell you that indeed I do believe that LGBTQ+ person worth as much as heterosexuals. We're all human beings, no matter who we love, our DNA is the same.
galaxyogirl
I believe that there are people that do really see LGBT people as of equal worth as heterosexuals! I am a member of the LGBT+ community myself and I have many amazing people around me that support me and love me for who I am, and who recognize that my gender expression and sexuality are not wrong or dirty and are, while a part of me, not all that I am. I am a beautiful, handsome, unique and that's what makes me, well me! There is always going to be opposition in your life, but it'll never ever cover up what an amazing person you are. Shine Bright!
Anonymous
Well, I can tell you that I am a proud LGBT member, and I really do see the LGBT community as equal worth as heterosexuals... what makes us any different besides whom we love, or our gender? Just because we're different, doesn't make us any less human. Perhaps some people secretly despise the LGBT community although they claim to accept it, but as far as my opinion and quite a lot of other opinions go, I truly do believe that the LGBT community is equal to heterosexuals.
politeBike14
It is not everyone who secretly despise LGBTI+ people although they openly claim to accept and love them, but unfortunately, this is the case from time to time (and yes, unfrotunately even including LGBTI+ people themselves and allies). But don't forget that this is not always the case. There are also a lot of people who really accept, support, and love LGBTI+ people and they also see them as of equal worth as heterosexual people. For example, I am one of them. So don't let homo-, bi-, and transphobic people upset you. Always remember that you are very important and so beautiful in the way that you are.
rinkuandriku
As someone queer myself, I've never found myself hating someone because of their orientation. For other reasons ,yes, but not because of their identity or who they are. I only speak for myself though, discrimination and hate in the LGBTQ+ community is still prevalent.
Anonymous
I do know of people who are openly accepting but do struggle for many reasons. Anyone who is an ally of the community should see heterosexuals and lgbt community members as equals.
taniavee28
No, I really think there are nice people out there who really are allies and are sincere enough and support the community in their own ways.
LGBTs are supported, accepted and loved by many, even though there are still too many people who despise them for many reasons, mainly for acquired prejudices and disrespect for difference. Together with the people who understand that diversity is not to be feared but to be welcomed we can create a world in which LGBTs will have the same rights and respect as everyone else
Anonymous
This is a complicated question, and what I can tell you is that there are a lot of people who want to see LGBT people as their equals, but because that's have been raised in a predominantly heterosexual environment, they tend to be subconsciously homophobic. So, a lot of people really want to support the LGBT community but they may accidentally say or do homophobic things because that is how they grew up, so it partially isn't their fault, but is partially is- to truly support the LGBT community, you have to take out that little ingrained bit of heterosexuality out of your head. But, I would say as a piece of advice to you, don't go looking for LGBT support in the straight community. There are some there who would support you, but in the LGBT community, everyone wants to support you.
Anonymous
There are definitely people who see both as equal. I know I do. Sometimes the best thing to do is look for and think the best of others.
Anonymous
There are absolutely people who see LGBT people as equal worth of heterosexuals. In ancient times in Greece and Rome, LGBT people were considered only one step lower than the gods. Yes, hatred has been practiced in our society and culture: but not everybody has that hatred. Many people see LGBT people as just what they are: people. People who love just the same as we do. And many people see that and genuinely value and respect LGBT people, which is what the LGBT community deserves. Love who you love!
Anonymous
There are millions of people all over the world who love and accept the LGBTQ+ community And a million more who are apart of it.
UntilThen
Though there are definitely people who only pretend to be accepting, there are tons of loving and accepting people out there in the world.
Blynng
August 2nd, 2017 4:49pm
I think that there are absolutely plenty of advocates and allies out there. I myself am the co-leader of my company's GLBTQ employee group. That being said, I think that there is a lot of confusion on both sides of the fence, and many people struggle with the ambiguity of that confusion. I do think you find people in the queer community that feel like some of the more modern definitions of sexual orientation are going a bit overboard. Sometimes it just takes time, though. We saw this happen when the T was added. Some people did not agree that transgender should be included because it's a sexual identity thing rather than an orientation thing. Same thing with Q, since queer can refer to both an orientation and an identity issue. It's a very personal subject that people tend to invest emotion into, so when their understandings and definitions are challenged, it can often seem like they are not accepting or that there is hate... and unfortunately, in some cases, there is judgment. However, more often than not, I think it's just like anything else when it's brand new and unknown. It just takes time for normalcy to kick in. I'm an old kid around here, but believe it or not, the acceptance level in society as well as within the queer community in general has grown in leaps and bounds over the last 1-2 decades. We're in perhaps the adolescent stage of queer acceptance... Soon enough, it'll mature.
HEARTSNCROSSES
There are many people who are educated about the LGBT community but as it becomes more widely accepted. Most people do not despise LGBT persons the more or less are ignorant and unwilling to learn and educate themselves. There are many people who see LGBT persons as equals. And have for many years. As LGBT issues move into the media spot light there are more and more people who are on one side or the other and then there are those who know for sure their stance. I know my answer is vague but I cannot speak for others and how they feel.