How can I explain homosexuality to my parents?

Jessica McDaniel, LPC, LCPC

I have been practicing cognitive behavioral psychotherapy since 2005 with a diverse group of clients, all ages, races, and socioeconomic classes.

Flawlessinsanity21
I think this might just be a creativity thing. Think of an interesting, but easy way to explain it to them. You could find a video on youtube or maybe just a basic definition of love. Tell them what love is and what it means and that anyone can love anyone else whether that be a male loving a male, a male loving a female or a female loving a female.
Kavril
Homosexuality (from Ancient Greek ὁμός, meaning "same", and Latin sexus, meaning "sex") is romantic attraction, sexual attraction or sexual behavior between members of the same sex or gender. Meaning, you are attracted to a member of the same sex, as love is about what's in the heart, not what's between a person's legs.
NumberEleven
Trying to explain it to them in abstract terms or raising discussions about it can help you to gauge their attitudes towards homosexuality and you can decide what to do from there.
heartfulButton95
I come from a very narrow minded cultural set up where even sex is not very comfortably discussed. People give a lot of importance to caste and religion. So when it comes to an inter caste or inter religion marriage there is a big issue. Coming to same sex relationships and marriages, people don't even think of it as normative here. But if your parents are understanding, there is a chance they might accept it. To answer your question, you can only explain homosexuality to your parents with this : TIME. Trust me, there is no nice way to come out of closet, it will be a bummer for them the first time. Only with time, they will allow that thought to settle in.
CalmingSunshine08
In explaining homosexuality to your parents, it's best to bring up LGBT topics and gauge your parents reaction. If their reaction is positive then take the time during a moment of your day weather it's at dinner of your entire family is just spending the day at home to come out to them. However, if their reaction is negative at the mention of LGBT topics or you know your parents have a negative opinion on it then it's best to not come out at the moment, remember you don't owe it to anyone especially your parents to come out if you don't feel safe.
DoctorJupiter
When you have gathered the courage to come out to your parents, pull one (or both) of them aside, depending on who you feel most comfortable with, and ask if you can talk to them about something. When the time is right, tell them you're sexuality. Their reaction to you're coming out reflects who they are, so if they react negatively remember that it's not your fault. Good luck!
miraculousTree58
In the traditional heterosexual idea of love, you are experiencing a sexual and/or romantic attraction to someone of the opposite gender. In the homosexual idea, you are experiencing the same kind of attraction, just to someone of the same sex.
Anonymous
There are lots of ways how someone could explain homosexuality to their parents. If you yourself are educated on that topic you can yourself talk to your parents and try to explain. Also there are lots of lots of videos on youtube and other places that explain homosexuality. There is also writen information too that you could give your parents. You could also ask someone who you know is educated on that topic to talk to your parents.
invisiblepeanut
Homosexual love is the same as heterosexual love. The only difference is that you love someone of the same sex rather than the opposite. You're attracted to people the same way you're parents are, your brain is just wired to love someone of the same sex.
Anonymous
August 3rd, 2016 10:07am
at first ask if you can talk to them about a serious topic. if it is you that you want to talk about don't be afraid to tell them. make sure they know that you are not a different person
Anonymous
It's about the situation though depending the factors of how your parents feel about that topic. :) Try your best and know that it is okay to be scared.
Anonymous
Just try to do it basically, say that a female is attracted to a female and a male is attracted to another male
Anonymous
You can explain homosexuality to anybody, including your parents, by explaining that it's just who you are as a person. That it's just a part of you and who you are. It's how you were born and that you are only attracted to members of the same sex because of genetics; not choice.
ThatKidWhoStealsAllTheSocks
I am a girl and I like girls. I am a boy and I like boys. You're my parents and you love me. If you can't accept my sexuality than you can't accept me. But if you're normal humane people you will understand who I am. Being gay isn't a choice. I didn't ask for this. This is who I am.
Anonymous
Always explain first that love is love regardless of who it is I am loving. Tell them that Being happy is worth more than being 'normal'. I love people that are the same gender as me and that is all it is.
TheLuckyFox
Coming out can be really hard, for ~everyone~ involved! Parents don't always see it coming, and even if they do they might not know all the facts. Explaining homosexuality is going to best be done with facts, so I'd recommend you do quite a bit of research and have information ready and available. Parents can get upset when they find out things aren't as they imagined, and it's important to not take things personally and give them time and space to digest what is going on just like you might have needed space. Finally, it's best to hope for the best and be prepared for the worst so if in the unlikely event that they do not take the information well, remember that there are many excellent resources available to you in the LGBT community from community centers to LGBT-specializing therapists.
xcxmotionless
Well, I would try just sitting them down and having a nice, calm, serious conversation with them. Try to explain it to them gently as it can be really shocking to parents to have their child tell them something like that
nickcasse13
It's where somebody is attracted to people of the same sex, and that it's something you're born with. It cannot be changed so all you can do is accept it and be loving to gay people! :)
HopieRemi
Maybe talk about what it means to you to them and get them interested in hearing about it? How about some informative books on it?
Anonymous
This is always quite a difficult challenge, because it always depends on how your parents view homosexuality. If they are homophobic, please take time with them, be patient, and explain and show in a way that only they can understand.
fancydrums00
That depends whether your parents are chill about it or not. If they seem like they are then go for it. If they're not, do not saying anything till you are independent have your money because some parents cut their children off and will not give them money for survival. If youre planning to come out then do it when youre 18 or above (the time youre independent and are a lot more financially supported) so your parents can never cut you off and turn you into one of these homeless LGBTQ kids.
courageousBubbles83
Try to sit down and tell them that you have sum thing important to talk to them about and explain the best way possible
LibraScorpioCapricorn
I emotionally prepare for the worse and hope for the best. It is so important to have support around coming out and accepting and embracing my identity as one that takes strength to hold.
CoffeeCakes
I am going to assume you are wanting to come out to them. In a short and sweet answer, you should just explicitly tell them you like the same gender and you were born that way. They may respond negatively but in the end, you'll feel much better. Hope I could help :)
sereneDreamer45
You like members of the same sex the same as straight people like members of the opposite sex. Explain that it is not a choice, but you should be proud of who you are.
Anonymous
You're going to have to explain it in terms that they're comfortable with. If they appreciate science, explain it as a natural phenomenon which happens in all animal species. If they are religious, explain it in terms of that. Overall, make sure you do your research and cover areas which they might ask questions about.
Anonymous
I personally explained it to my parents by telling them that I was in love with someone who just happened to be the same gender as me. It is still love :)
Phillestertheangel
You can come out when you are perfectly comfortable with it, though everyone gets nervous. To come out to your parents, you basically say, "mom, dad, I'm gay." Or something like that. But please don't come out to your parents if you know you will get kicked out of the house, get shunned, etc. I want you to be safe.
Anonymous
Try to explain to them in the right place at the right moment that you are homosexual and that it makes you happy, and don't be too much defensive, that could open other problems, tell them that you decided to make that choice and that you don't regret it or feel ashamed about it.
ScorpioSun11
Homosexuality can be explained as an innate attraction to someone of the same sex. Sexuality is not something you can opt out of as a human being. It cannot be denied or repressed without consequences. Homosexuality is just one of the many variations in human sexuality, and that may be difficult for the more conservative-minded to understand.