why do i feel the need to smash or punch things when im upset ?

Portugal

Jennifer Patterson, LMFT, ATR-BC

Art Therapist

Life can be messy. Sometimes you need a little support to make your way through it. I love to help guide people through their challenges & to find the beauty in our messes.

happytohelpyou99
you are currently experiencing a fit of anger or rage and see this need as a form of emotional release.You lack emotional control and hope to feel better. :( but please stay calm you're only engaging in self destruction chat me up if needed!
When you are upset with something that is out of your control, you will feel like you need to destroy anything and everything that you can control and desroy just to feel like your in control again.
Anonymous
Because I would rather harm an inanimate object than a person. Sometimes the frustration Or anger I feel is too intense to put into words.
sadbutbeautiful1
Anger is a common way that sadness manifests in the human body. The best thing to do is try to get your energy out in a constructive way. Try running or working out, writing, drawing, watching tv, listening to music, even crying can make you feel better.
earthwalker3
You might just need something to take out your emotions on which is perfectly okay and can be healthy when you direct those emotions into something positive. For example, some people like to walk away from the situation and use all that fuel to power away for a run! This gives the person time to reflect back and time to calm down. There are hundreds of other methods you can try! You can even use a punching bag instead of a random object. Is there anything you can think of that you could try instead?
spadeypoo17
because when you hit things this relives stress as you are angry and there is no other way to express this
Anonymous
You might feel a release by smashing or punching something. It may help channel the anger allowing you to become calmer.
Loki1216
I feel that the urge to punch or break things when anger just comes from your innermost rage, the satisfaction of control, of you being able to say "This thing" no longer has the right to exist, it emboldens and empowers the person. At least to some extent.
JustWorldFallacies
I often feel the need to break something when I feel out of control, like no matter what I do nothing changes. Even though breaking something is a negative change, I do feel like I have an impact on my environment. A healthier alternative may be to clean or organize and see a physical change that way, as long as these aren't to excess. Another reason I sometimes feel like I want to break something is to redirect anger I have towards a person or situation. In that case, exercise might help. It will release physical energy in a non harmful way.
Anonymous
you want to get out you anger that has been bottle up with in, and let it go, and hitting sometimes makes people feel better
CreamofYes
March 22nd, 2016 8:22pm
My best guess is you have feelings you usually bottle up or pent up. Finding a way to healthily let out whatever emotions you're feeling would be a good way to limit the need to smash things.
lifespan
I honestly don't get violent but I do lash out, sometimes at the very top of my lungs! I heard that how we release pent up emotions, but it just makes me madder to.the point of exhaustion. Maybe that's it: we're tiring ourselves out to the point of exhaustion/pain to drown out our emotional distress
Anonymous
This may be your method of expression or release. When you bottle things up or keep everything on the inside, you get an explosive reaction.
Fuzzylittlemango
Sometimes we all have trouble with anger when we are feeling upset, it is the sign of frustration not being able to get released in a positive way. A way to overcome this is to indulge in new hobbies, perhaps something creative, a sport or martial art. Art and physical therapy are great ways of channeling negative emotions and turning them into a positive outlet for life's frustrations.
JDM108
It's not so bad, there's just energy in you that wants to move around -- that's all anger is, energy. Just don't break anything or hurt yourself -- punching a pillow or kicking your feet in the air is just fine
Paige81
May 23rd, 2017 2:05am
I too have felt the need to smash or punch things when I'm upset. Generally, when I'm no longer upset and can objectively look back at the situation and emotion to identify what was going on before I felt so upset, what happened while I was upset (did I smash something) and how I felt after my reaction. Reflecting on my own circumstances I seem to reach that point of anger and frustration when I feel I have no control over what is going on and the emotion just overwhelms my senses.
RibbonOfLight4
It's normal to feel the need of releasing all the energy you are getting by holding yourself. What's not healthy is when you feel the need to smash EVERYTIME you feel upset. For this I do impact sports. It could be as light as running (impact from the ground) or even boxing. It really helps to release that energy regularly from the stress. Some might prefer to do completely the opposite, like tai chi or Yoga. Search your best method to use that energy you are holding from being upset.
MarcusFalls
Sadness causes emotional pain in our mind and anger is the evolutionary response to pain. There is a term called redirected attack in behavioural sciences. Its common reaction of mammals, animals do it too, just like us. Basically, when we get angry at another person, we have the urge to attack them in some way.
GoalieAlicia35
Sometimes, when people are upset, they find themselves needing to have a physical outlet for their emotions. Instead smashing or punching things, go for a run or to the gym.
ThePhoenixAlwaysRisesAgain
It is your way of venting. The adrenaline is building up and you are releasing it physically. It is common.
Annata8
You're angry. You're frustrated. You're upset. That's why. Ask yourself the opposite question as why do I feel I need to break grandma's china. The trick is to recognise that you are angry or whatever so that you do not hurt something more valuable than grandma's priceless tea set.
Anonymous
Why would I punch something that has nothing to do with the situation? I f I break stuff I just lose valuable assets in the house and my problem will still be there!