How do you know if you're truly happy?

Portugal

Jennifer Patterson, LMFT, ATR-BC

Art Therapist

Life can be messy. Sometimes you need a little support to make your way through it. I love to help guide people through their challenges & to find the beauty in our messes.

ellie017
Happiness is not always something that can happen easily every day. Sometimes you have to be a little sad, to appreciate being happy more. It'd be very cliché to say that when you're truly happy - you'll know it without questioning it, without thinking about this, but I guess it's the truth. I think being truly happy means going to bed at night and instead of thinking about a perfect scenario and what could have happened, you're thinking about your day and what has happened during it.
Rocknangel
Good question by the way. You can tell if you are truly happy when you are eager to wake up each day with excitement. You have energy. People notice that you are a cheerful person and they want to get to know you more. And you would not be in a situation where you have to ask yourself this question. You would just know it. Little things like talking to a good friend can make you happy for the moment. But to be truly happy you should be able to love your life, be passionate about something or have someone who you truly love which makes want to wake up everyday and do something with your life. Hope this helped :).
MiraculousShiny62
First of all, happiness is based on circumstances. However, having Joy is not. Happiness is what you feel when you have made an "A" on a test. You may be happy for a little while based on the circumstance; however, later in the day you may find out you didn't do so well on another test. Suddenly, the fact that you got an "A" earlier diminishes your happiness. When you experience joy deep inside, you are able to look past the circumstances knowing that in life there are ups and downs which causes you to look at life in a positive manner knowing that regardless of whether you received an "A" or a "D", it's okay. So, my friend, let's live life not so much to achieve happiness, but long lasting JOY.
SimplyBeing
What is happy? I chased happiness as if it were an escapee or a thief that had taken something from me for a long time. Then one day I was working at a temple and looked up and realized that hours had passed and I had not felt lonely or depress. I had a deep feeling of accomplishment and contentedness. It was an experience different from the happiness that comes from opening presents or seeing a movie. That feeling passes quickly. Contentedness and the sense that your life has purpose is a lasting feeling and leads or more experiences of contentment in the future. Take a look at TED talks on positive psychology. It may help you put happiness in a new light. I wish you peace. ~J
Lunathereal
True happiness spread through your entire body and fills you up with love and warmth. You feel happy simply because you do, not comparing it to anyone else's. You feel it. You are it.
here4you201
Happiness can be defined in infinite ways. Personally, I believe happiness comes from gratitude. When you are just sitting there, eating food, and suddenly a smile pops out on your face.
Apollosdaughter
By listening to my soul. And feel myself happy inside and outside. It is a feeling which cant be really expressed.
Livelovedream18
You know if you're happy when you smile and have a reason to smile but also being happy also means you are strong and will remain that way.
SacredArtist
True happiness feels easy and synchronous and harmonius. Happiness is without deep worry and bother. Happiness is when we have finally accepted ourselves, foremost, and our circumstances enough to either like them the way they are or be unafraid to change them. Or unfraid to wait for that change, work for that change, make leaps for that change because with happiness every leap is fun, every new thing is exciting. When excitement leads, positive progress begins.
lovingLynx89
You know you are truly happy when you are grateful and passionate about life everyday. When problems only seem like challenges you can triumph over. You now you are truly happy when you feel love for yourself and others and when you chose to smile even when things are not going your way.
admirableLight18
I think you're truly happy if you feel like you, who you are is being celebrated and you feel loved by your friends and family. I think it's when you feel hopeful about tomorrow and when you love dreaming about what tomorrow holds and the possibilities that could unfold. I think it's when you know that love isn't so far away, it's actually much closer than you think, and when you realize that you love yourself and your life and you want to chase the things you want and live the life you imagine. I think the best way to feel "truly happy" is to keep a warm and open heart towards everyone you come across.
PeaceInEveryStep00
When thinking about happiness, it's important to distinguish between pleasure and happiness. Pleasure is something we are more familiar with. For instance, kissing a partner, acing an exam, or hugging a puppy gives us great joy and pleasure but the feeling is temporary. Happiness, on the other hand, is long lasting. If you are content on a daily basis of how things are going in life, then that's a sign of being truly happy. If you're around people you respect, and respect you back, and you're around individuals whom you can be yourself around... these are qualities that will bring you closer to achieving happiness. It is often necessary to decrease negative emotions from our lives in order to uncover true happiness.
peacefulKendra
Personally, I know that I'm truly happy when the joy overrides me and drives me towards sharing it with someone else in some way. That person may be a stranger that I can't help but direct a smile at, and if I'm alone then I'll be moving around like an electron.
Paranoid2Parrot
Happiness lies within yourself. Knowing that you're happy is all down to yourself and how you treat others. Asking other people how to work it out for you is never beneficial, because everyone has a different version of happiness. Your happiness is YOURS, and you'll know it deep down when the time comes. What does the feeling feel like? That, we can answer. It can feel like your heart is burning, but in a beautiful way. It can feel like everything is possible, pure bliss. It can feel unreal. Everything is unique, and happiness is one of those things that you can never put your finger on until it happens. TRUE happiness comes in many different forms.
If you are proud of where you are and what you are doing knowing that this is where you wanna be, then you might be truly happy. Honestly people are always looking for happiness, it gives them a sense of direction.
RobVL
Ooo, this is interesting. Hmmm, well, happiness means different things for different people. I would say that you would really have to look at where you are in your life and determine; 'Have I really set out to do and achieve everything I wanted to?' That is me though, for other people happiness is a billion dollars in the bank...
CharmedPrincess91
You would know :) I know I am happy. Happy for all the opportunities, people and all the other good things in my life.
Anonymous
One is truly happy when they are convinced with their situation either if it was good or bad. people can be happy in bad situations too if they look at the bright side! there's always a bright side to everything.
listeningsinger1001
Well, honestly, I'm not sure if you'll ever be truly happy. Of course there's always a person that goes around so so so happy, but they do have a side to them that just can't keep up with the rest of your body, or even your emotions!! But to know you are "truly" happy, I'd say you are able to smile without a worry, issue, or fear. It's just a smile. One that makes you warm and fuzzy inside.
Anonymous
If you're truly happy you wouldn't need to question your happiness. True happiness is felt when you feel good and you don't need to second guess your emotions.
evnett
If you get up with a huge smile, and your content with life. You smile about all the little things that make such an impact. The day you decide that you wanna live your life, thats the day your truly happy
Anonymous
I believe that if you are truly happy you would know because you would feel it in your heart and it would feel very fuzzy and warm. You would know.
Anonymous
When I just smile and laugh all day without feeling tired at all. A bit generic, but it's a kind of rarity to me.
Yani1921
True happiness comes when you are able to stray away from those that take away from your self-worth.
Anonymous
You know your truly happy if there is that person or activity you can always count on to make you smile when you don't feel like you can smile.
ItsAlyssa
When you are smiling or just having a great reason of your happiness means to be happy but theres so many ways and stuff but when your happy trust me you'll know it instantly
Anonymous
If you see the person smiling or the persons tone of voice is a little higher or if the person acts with confidence.
RaCat
I personally think that if you are truly happy you are not wondering what it means to be happy, you just living your life and enjoying it.
XYourTrueFriend
Well it depends. Sometimes we don't show happiness with facial expressions but maybe with actions. Usually when I'm happy I share my happiness.
Wallflower003
Honestly, happiness is different for everyone, you just have to kind of look around you, and ask, am I happy with this?