Why do I feel worse after crying?

Christina De Lucia, LPC

I use a holistic approach that is supportive, nonjudgmental, and solution-focused. I offer insight into problem areas and provide guidance on how they can be improved.

Anonymous
You feel worse after crying maybe because you feel weak. Many a times, we think of tears as a symbol of weakness, when in reality, they aren't. You don't cry because you're weak, but because you've been strong for too long.
Espirit203
You may feel worse after crying as your body has spent energy on tears as well as the other physical factors associated with crying. You may also feel worse after crying as your emotional state is tired and your mood was worsened.
Anonymous
if you feel worse, crying may not be right reaction to your situation.it is not thing you need the moment.you can think over how else could you give react your issue.your reactions might being conflict with your thoughts.when you find your right reaction, ıt is makes you feel better
AlexHart
Because crying doesn't fix the problem so you basically wasted time that you could have been using to find a solution. Sure it's ok to let it all out from time to time but crying all day doesn't change a thing.
Laurlily
Sometimes putting yourself back together after falling apart can feel very difficult. You might feel feel physically ill--headache, tired, etc. You might feel emotional still or embarrassed. What ever it is, be gentle with yourself. Feelings are incredibly hard to control, Try to focus instead on positive thoughts, or even better positive actions. These things all have an influence on each other. If you feel terrible after crying do something like wash your face to start fresh. Take a walk if you can, physical movement helps move our minds along as well. Do something on your to do list. Most of all, treat yourself the way you would a dear friend who is going through a hard time.
Angelwings63
Its the guilt that you feel due to our upbringing, that we are doing something wrong. Remember, showing your emotion is not wrong. It is necessary. A good cry will in many ways relieve and make you feel better.
Nilo1602
Because there's nothing worse than crying alone, it feels like even if it hurts so much, no one cared because no one was there.
TherapyPrince
It may be coming from the aftermath of crying, sometimes after you let out your emotions physically such as crying, you can feel very tired or uncaring due to your energy being drained. With that being said, because of your lack of energy, it can cause your emotion to still bounce and be unsettling.
CharlieMorningstar
While crying is a fantastic emotional outlet, it also leaves you dehydrated! Your sinuses get clogged, your eyes get irritated, and you're probably very emotionally drained, which can drain you physically, as well! How you feel physically can easily affect your emotional state, so it's easy to feel worse when you're bogged down like that. Always make sure to get a glass of water after crying, and if you're up to it, walk around a little, even if it's just walking in a circle in one room.
lovelySea14
Because I think I am weak because I cried, because I remembered things I didn't want to remember, because I show others weakness and I am embarrassed.
casiodaisy
Crying can really take it out of you physically - it dehydrates us, it can cause headaches, it can even cause nausea if crying too hard. However it is a really good an important emotional release, so after crying make sure to take care of yourself. Drink a big glass of water, eat something small, take a painkiller if you have a headache, and get some rest.
Because you have let out everything that you really felt and poured it out. Feeling all that emotions while crying is not easy. But to get yourself back up after letting it all out thats the hardest part.
Here4u2smile
Because you feel like life is so difficult but. Think about how you have so much to be thankful for. So many people are fighting harder waes
Flags
After the emotional whirlwind you just went through, you now get to reflect on what happened, thus comes the regret and self-loathing
Anonymous
Normally people feel relief after crying, at least that is my personal experience. However when dealing with situations were one feels helpless, perhaps the realization of not having control of the reality affecting us can make it seem worse. I know when my father past away nothing could make me feel better. It took some time. Time is a healer and we need to be patient with ourselves and honor the process. Can you tell me more about why you feel this way?
Anonymous
I suppose the feeling of letting something get to you can feel defeating, however, it's a natural response for a reason! Don't beat yourself up about it.
2cupsofteaa
Your body used up a lot of energy when crying, and so it can really be a draining experience. Take some time to let yourself rest and heal.
strawberryPudding82
I'm not sure. Maybe you feel guilty for the reason you are crying such as you feel you are making a mountain over a mole hill or if it is someone you face losing, you feel bad that you may be making them feel worse than they already are or sometimes grief comes in plateaus, one bout of tears may be salve for just a portion but there is so much on your plate at the time that your soul can only handle it in portions.
ephemeralkidd
It's completely normal to feel this way. Feeling worse could be due to crying in the first place. Crying can be messy, and is one of the rawest of emotions. It may also be that crying was not enough to fully release your emotions.
Anonymous
Many of us have learned to criticize ourselves very harshly for crying. So that when we are crying, we not only feel terrible, but we might not even be aware of the terrible thoughts that we are having. These kinds of thoughts can take a toll on us, too~! While we are not noticing, we are 'beating ourselves up', in our thoughts, and it's no wonder that we feel bad later! I sometimes just let water run out of my eyes, without thoughts to accompany them. I never feel worse after that, but only better. Tears are natural release mechanisms and are not meant to make us feel worse.
Anonymous
People don't like being vulnerable. I think it's because when you cry in front of someone or even alone, you cry about something that matters to you. We don't see other people crying, so we think it's a sign of weakness. We don't want people to pity us or look at us as we're weak. Crying about something also means that it matters, and things that matter hurt us. Personally I cry all the time, and more often than not I do feel bad about it. Sometimes I think I'm making a big deal out of something trivial. I don't like crying in front of others because it makes me realize how helpless I show myself.
thoughtfulDana4
Anonymous
Simply put: crying is exhausting and physically can make us realize how tired we really were before we started crying in the first place, after we have finally let go. Alternatively, depending on someone's upbringing, may cause an additional pain of guilt. For instance, many people are told that crying is a sign of weakness and these fake rules that have been ingrained may surface in someone's subconscious after crying.
Supergirl94
Because sometimes it isn't the way we need to express how we feel
Anonymous
I usually feel worse after crying because it isn't a positive way of getting your feelings out. All it does is make you feel sadder for longer, so you usually just feel empty and sad when you're done.
LittleLemon96
In general crying makes the heart pressure go down, physiologicaly so you are not supposed to feel worse, but maybe because you still need to cry more, the only way to know that you have calmed down and you are better is when you still think about the same bad thaing but you are able to not continue crying.
Redtiger01
I feel worse after crying because crying makes me feel weak and I should not be weak. But in reality, no one can ever really be never weak and sometimes vulnerability is important so that we don't go crazy.
Kat140615xx
Because you let all the emotions out, your body feels drained therefore speak to one of us listeners we can helpx
organticDaisy71
It could dry out your throat and make your head hurt. Some experience guilt after crying in fear that they're weak when they really aren't.
carefreeSunrise62
I feel that I should've done something to make myself better other that sitting and sulking. But sometimes I feel better after crying