I have very rapid mood swings, what's the best way to manage them so no one gets hurt?

Alison Humphreys, LCPC

During the therapeutic process, individuals will learn to manage transitions, overcome obstacles and work towards their full potential .

truthSeeker71
I am learning that if I slow down I can change my thoughts, which in turn can change my feelings. Learning to become aware that there is a space between our feelings and our reactions has been really empowering for me. It is tricky at first because the normal old emotional reactions still came into play but the more I practice the more I have control over how my moods affect the people around me.
Ele1987
Be aware and non judgmental about what you're feeling, mindfulness exercises can help with this. Also know that your emotions cannot control you or your behavior, you can accept what you're feeling but decide how you will act, the fact that you want to work to control your emotions and avoid hurting others is a great first step.
Anonymous
when you get angry walk out. Go to your own place and wait till you calm down. Best to let others know you are in a bad mood which will make it easier for them to understand and let you be.
Mood swings could be caused by something that you have not solved in yourself, best is to find out what triggers this moods swings and deal with them.
Anonymous
Focusing on positive thoughts instead of negatives helps a lot. If any negative thought occurs then come up with a counter positive thought. Another way is to boost your self-esteem. Helping people increases self-esteem. To give a massive boost to your self-esteem, help someone in such a way who cannot repay back your help. You can also try helping your mom in household chores, your father in outdoor stuffs and any other family member. Doing these for some weeks you will start to notice a positive change in you, you will feel more happy and delighted. I have walked this path and hence can say that it is incredibly beneficial.
beautifulMelody28
Communication is often the best tool. Be aware of your mood changes and say things like "right now, I feel angry so I think I should go to another room to calm down" or " at the moment, I feel blue so I think I should not stay alone". The problem with rapid mood swings is that those around you often do not know what happened so talking about it ( how you are feeling, what triggered it, how you'd like to deal with it) makes it easier for the people around you.
succourears
I should do some research about mood swings and find ways to control myself. By being in control of my mood I will feel stronger and better.
Anonymous
It's easier said than done. However, if you want to manage your emotions better...you should always find a solution to a problem before you react with emotion.
miraculousBeauty49
Find a creative outlet or safe space for you to retreat to in these moments. If you are in school, ask for 5 minutes to be outside
Supergirl94
You may have Bipolar or emotional disorder/condition. Usually being positive, maybe taking some herbal supplements can help. Try to figure out when your mood swings happen, if there are triggers and avoiding them or finding ways to better cope and express your emotions.
Here4u2smile
Write. Write. Write. Is my way of managing my mood swings. Breath. Or even mediation is also good to learn how to deal with the mood changes.
Anonymous
communication is key, Explain what happens and then no one will be surprised/negatively impacted by your mood swings.
Anonymous
This sounds ridiculous, I am sure, but turn everything into a joke. That's what I do, I make everything funny, make jokes, seeing people laugh takes away my anger as soon as it happens. whenever I feel I'm getting angry I will bring out my inner clown.
goldenVision2112
The best way to manage them is actually prevention, in the sense that you must come to know yourself and your triggers. When you feel a swing coming on or right when you realize you may be in a swing, you must distance yourself from the situation. Have your friends and family know that when you say "Pause" or another codeword, you must leave and will come back when you are ready. This and a good diet free from alcohol and drugs will help to control the mood swings.
CastielIsPerfect
Whenever I had big mood swings I would write about it. I have a diary and it really helps me manage how I feel on a regular basis. I have been able to find patterns in my behavior and my journal has answered a lot of questions about why I do things. The more I explored my emotions in my journal, the easier it was to control them.
hopefulParadise73
By thinking before you speak.By practicing patience. Taking deep breaths to calm down. By keeping your voice tone low.
radiantHoliday71
i grew up with mood swings and had to learn it not in a 'happy to recall it' way. I realized i have mood swing after a decade or even more. Based on my experience, what I did to manage, prevent, and minimize so no one gets hurt is be vigilance. Practice to aware how you feel and take a note when, where, and with whom your emotion is triggered. Your first reaction of an activity tells you the truth. So, listen to it. To prevent at the moment it occurs is quickly remember what are you doing initially, in my experience, it helps me to get back to my right mind and stay focus. When you feel calmer, recall what happened and seek what happened right before you are triggered. That way not only you become vigilance next time also you are on the next step on how to cope with it. It takes time and practice to manage mood swings and you can do better.
SecretsForRenee
A good deal of the time, you can feel your mood about to shift and only fully become aware of this after you’ve done or said something you regret . You then understand how swiftly you reacted to a situation which could have easily been dealt with in a calm manner; however not always. A way to slow down the safe pace of your mood swings is to get a feelings/emotion book. This can be like a diary where you write down all the things you are feeling or thinking linked to your mood; at what time and what you’re doing. Eventually this will act as not only an eye opener to certain pattens which may actually prompt your rapid mood swings, but also act as an outlet where you can purge your negative feelings into pages instead of throwing them into the world. It’s okay to experience these high or low moods; but sometimes you may hurt yourself or others around you. So understand that during these mood swings it’s okay to take a step back from the situation or person and connect with yourself. Ask to yourself: In a few hours will I still feel this intensely? Then continue to question yourself on whether it would be healthier to take some space and then perhaps speak to those around you why you felt your mood change so fast. This just helps others around you to understand and for you to identify what feelings were going on inside you; as often mood swings happen so swiftly you’re unable to identify a specific feeling which leads to frustration and confusion.
Anonymous
Don't try to force down your mood swings, but learn to accept it. Forcing yourself back into a headspace is quite hard. Try to go into a safe place in your environment such as your personal bedroom to calm down and return to a calm and passive mood. Talk to someone about this, preferably an expert on mood swings. Get their advice and live by it, making sure to go to checkups with the expert. Make sure that people around you understand why you have mood swings and what you do to manage it. I hope that this helps you with your question.
Anonymous
Some good, simple methods to manage mood swings include regularly exercising, avoiding alcohol or sugar or caffeine, and sleeping better. Overall, practicing ways to manage your stress really helps. Becoming aware of yourself in situations where you are feeling extreme moods will help ensure that you do not hurt anyone else. Even though, managing these mood swings is hard, it is necessary. It will take time, sure, but it is worth it in the end. In the past, I have had very rapid mood swings and the only way I was able to manage it was becoming aware of myself, my surroundings, and if I could upset, offend, or hurt someone else.
FoodForTheSoul
You could try identifying what is it that upsets you. Emotional coherence is key when it comes to this. Once you've made clear of what it is that is bothersome, you can identify the emotion associated with it and ask yourself whether there really is a reason for you to be upset. If need be, ask to be excused if you're in a social gathering so you can do the latter.
Anonymous
the best way to manage them is to keep yourself occupied with things you like or hang with people who you love or like to hang with.
Anonymous
Firstly you can take a deep breath and think; what is the reason between your mood changing. It is okey if you couldn't answer at the first asking to yourself. I am not in your shoes but i can suggest some relaxing way and lots of time it works; like drinking herbal tea or sitting near of sea/lake or listening peaceful noises. But sometimes they don't help. At these time you can find answer in you heart.
ABreathOfFreshAir
The best way to handle mood swings, is to recognize when you are having them, so you can take a breather, and calmly think more about your feelings.
sunalchemy
Keep a mood calendar and fix goals about the results and how you can improve them. Try to do your best to be constant !
ComfortingForest
Find something that helps you manage your emotions, whether its listening to music, reading a book, or just stepping back and evaluating how you are feeling. That way when the mood swings happen you know what to do to prevent someone from possibly getting hurt.
huggerLover14
This is something very common, it happens to me a lot personally. What I usually do in this situation is just say that I am not in the best mood and go take a walk and listen to my favourite music. After I get better I explain to my friends what happened and they understand.
Anonymous
When you feel like you are going to have a episode, a good way to stop what you are doing, start taking deep breaths in and out of your nose, and try some standing meditation. Clear your mind and relax your body, focus on your breathing. Often you will find your self calming down and your feelings under better control
cloudscanbefriends
The best way to go about such situations is to simply inform those around you of when your mood takes a dramatic change, subsequently letting them know that they were not the cause of this.
TheTripleS719
When you feel a mood swing coming on, go to your room and take it out on a journal, or some other inanimate object. Personally, tearing paper up in to shreds is a great way to let it out. If you're at school/work, ask to go to the bathroom or take a break.