I have very rapid mood swings, what's the best way to manage them so no one gets hurt?

Alison Humphreys, LCPC

During the therapeutic process, individuals will learn to manage transitions, overcome obstacles and work towards their full potential .

truthSeeker71
I am learning that if I slow down I can change my thoughts, which in turn can change my feelings. Learning to become aware that there is a space between our feelings and our reactions has been really empowering for me. It is tricky at first because the normal old emotional reactions still came into play but the more I practice the more I have control over how my moods affect the people around me.
Ele1987
Be aware and non judgmental about what you're feeling, mindfulness exercises can help with this. Also know that your emotions cannot control you or your behavior, you can accept what you're feeling but decide how you will act, the fact that you want to work to control your emotions and avoid hurting others is a great first step.
Anonymous
Focusing on positive thoughts instead of negatives helps a lot. If any negative thought occurs then come up with a counter positive thought. Another way is to boost your self-esteem. Helping people increases self-esteem. To give a massive boost to your self-esteem, help someone in such a way who cannot repay back your help. You can also try helping your mom in household chores, your father in outdoor stuffs and any other family member. Doing these for some weeks you will start to notice a positive change in you, you will feel more happy and delighted. I have walked this path and hence can say that it is incredibly beneficial.
Anonymous
when you get angry walk out. Go to your own place and wait till you calm down. Best to let others know you are in a bad mood which will make it easier for them to understand and let you be.
beautifulMelody28
Communication is often the best tool. Be aware of your mood changes and say things like "right now, I feel angry so I think I should go to another room to calm down" or " at the moment, I feel blue so I think I should not stay alone". The problem with rapid mood swings is that those around you often do not know what happened so talking about it ( how you are feeling, what triggered it, how you'd like to deal with it) makes it easier for the people around you.
Mood swings could be caused by something that you have not solved in yourself, best is to find out what triggers this moods swings and deal with them.
succourears
I should do some research about mood swings and find ways to control myself. By being in control of my mood I will feel stronger and better.
miraculousBeauty49
Find a creative outlet or safe space for you to retreat to in these moments. If you are in school, ask for 5 minutes to be outside
Supergirl94
You may have Bipolar or emotional disorder/condition. Usually being positive, maybe taking some herbal supplements can help. Try to figure out when your mood swings happen, if there are triggers and avoiding them or finding ways to better cope and express your emotions.
Here4u2smile
Write. Write. Write. Is my way of managing my mood swings. Breath. Or even mediation is also good to learn how to deal with the mood changes.
Anonymous
communication is key, Explain what happens and then no one will be surprised/negatively impacted by your mood swings.
Anonymous
This sounds ridiculous, I am sure, but turn everything into a joke. That's what I do, I make everything funny, make jokes, seeing people laugh takes away my anger as soon as it happens. whenever I feel I'm getting angry I will bring out my inner clown.
goldenVision2112
The best way to manage them is actually prevention, in the sense that you must come to know yourself and your triggers. When you feel a swing coming on or right when you realize you may be in a swing, you must distance yourself from the situation. Have your friends and family know that when you say "Pause" or another codeword, you must leave and will come back when you are ready. This and a good diet free from alcohol and drugs will help to control the mood swings.
CastielIsPerfect
Whenever I had big mood swings I would write about it. I have a diary and it really helps me manage how I feel on a regular basis. I have been able to find patterns in my behavior and my journal has answered a lot of questions about why I do things. The more I explored my emotions in my journal, the easier it was to control them.
hopefulParadise73
By thinking before you speak.By practicing patience. Taking deep breaths to calm down. By keeping your voice tone low.
radiantHoliday71
i grew up with mood swings and had to learn it not in a 'happy to recall it' way. I realized i have mood swing after a decade or even more. Based on my experience, what I did to manage, prevent, and minimize so no one gets hurt is be vigilance. Practice to aware how you feel and take a note when, where, and with whom your emotion is triggered. Your first reaction of an activity tells you the truth. So, listen to it. To prevent at the moment it occurs is quickly remember what are you doing initially, in my experience, it helps me to get back to my right mind and stay focus. When you feel calmer, recall what happened and seek what happened right before you are triggered. That way not only you become vigilance next time also you are on the next step on how to cope with it. It takes time and practice to manage mood swings and you can do better.
Anonymous
It's easier said than done. However, if you want to manage your emotions better...you should always find a solution to a problem before you react with emotion.
FoodForTheSoul
You could try identifying what is it that upsets you. Emotional coherence is key when it comes to this. Once you've made clear of what it is that is bothersome, you can identify the emotion associated with it and ask yourself whether there really is a reason for you to be upset. If need be, ask to be excused if you're in a social gathering so you can do the latter.
Anonymous
the best way to manage them is to keep yourself occupied with things you like or hang with people who you love or like to hang with.
Anonymous
Firstly you can take a deep breath and think; what is the reason between your mood changing. It is okey if you couldn't answer at the first asking to yourself. I am not in your shoes but i can suggest some relaxing way and lots of time it works; like drinking herbal tea or sitting near of sea/lake or listening peaceful noises. But sometimes they don't help. At these time you can find answer in you heart.
ABreathOfFreshAir
The best way to handle mood swings, is to recognize when you are having them, so you can take a breather, and calmly think more about your feelings.
sunalchemy
Keep a mood calendar and fix goals about the results and how you can improve them. Try to do your best to be constant !
ComfortingForest
Find something that helps you manage your emotions, whether its listening to music, reading a book, or just stepping back and evaluating how you are feeling. That way when the mood swings happen you know what to do to prevent someone from possibly getting hurt.
huggerLover14
This is something very common, it happens to me a lot personally. What I usually do in this situation is just say that I am not in the best mood and go take a walk and listen to my favourite music. After I get better I explain to my friends what happened and they understand.
Anonymous
When you feel like you are going to have a episode, a good way to stop what you are doing, start taking deep breaths in and out of your nose, and try some standing meditation. Clear your mind and relax your body, focus on your breathing. Often you will find your self calming down and your feelings under better control
cloudscanbefriends
The best way to go about such situations is to simply inform those around you of when your mood takes a dramatic change, subsequently letting them know that they were not the cause of this.
TheTripleS719
When you feel a mood swing coming on, go to your room and take it out on a journal, or some other inanimate object. Personally, tearing paper up in to shreds is a great way to let it out. If you're at school/work, ask to go to the bathroom or take a break.
Anonymous
Give time to yourself, and please seek professional help. I have major mood swings, but I was given medication by my medical doctor that's helped a lot. Learn how to politely step away from a conversation when you feel yourself getting worked up.
iwillmakeyoufeelbetter
You must know, in your mind, that everyone around you has feelings, and you could end up saying or doing something that they will remember for a long time. That kind of impact on someone shouldn't be on your head.
positivemermaid
this happens to me sometimes and it is very disturbing. i usually just try to calm myself by talking to someone who i know can empathize, or just distracting myself by doing things that i can do alone, so as to not be exposed to others :)