I can't stop crying for days on end. What do I do?

Jennifer Geib, LCSWR

1:1 daily live chat sessions. - My therapy is non-judgmental and focuses on emotions and motivation to accomplish your goals or overcome your struggles.

There must be something that is triggering the crying. Find out what it is and deal with that trigger.
ShareWidSandy
Whenever you cry take a moment a deep breath and try to figure out why are you crying; be as specific as possible and hunt for the root cause at the rawest human behavior. For example: Your boss is not happy with your work, you are not making enough money, Love life is loveless etc. Each of these things annoy you or even make you miserable to a level where you feel like crying then ask why when this particular event happens it triggers sad emotions. Does this event induce old bad memories? Does it make you feel insecure? What happened in past or childhood, Can you associate these feelings with this event? Once you know what is the root cause you will still feel the same but now slowly slowly with time this feeling will fade away. If you are in a situation where you can't even think in this manner and feel complete helplessness do reach out to your friends and family. Cry once for misery you're in like you laugh for one joke. It's complicated many times and we can't control it always but never lose hope. You might smile longer than you think. :-)
Anonymous
walk outside and look at the sky. close your eyes and feel the wind will blow you mind. make a deep breath and be grateful
Supergirl94
Let yourself cry and feel, think about why you are crying, what thoughts you are having when you cry. What triggers may cause you to cry. If you are crying there is usually a reason and something you need to work through or even just the need to relieve your emotions through tears. If you feel there is something more behind it I would see a doctor.
Anonymous
I know how that feels because I've been through extremely difficult times in my life. These experiences made me stronger and made me realise many things about life and about people. The crying will stop and you will be stronger and you will start finding your happiness on your own.
Kenai
It's important to take care of yourself. What would you do if a good friend was upset? Do things you would do for a friend: give yourself a compliment, treat yourself to a good book or a hot cup of tea, something to take your mind off things for a little while.
Anonymous
It sounds like you are truly going through something. What have you tried so far? You're the expert on you, but some options might be to: focus on your breathing with deep slow breathes; reach out to a friend, family member, or doctor; distract yourself with anything that won't hurt you or other people; do some jumping jacks; go for a walk outside; have a picnic on your floor; tell yourself what your favorite part about yourself is; think about what you'd suggest to a friend who was crying for days on end; remember that this feeling will pass eventually; remember the good times; try to practice a body meditation technique to help relax your face muscles; try to count backwrds from 100. It's okay to seek professional support if crying is interfering with your day-to-day wellbeing. Please be well and know that it is normal to grieve, you are human, and it will pass eventually even if that feels like a long way from now. Keep hanging in there and trying.
Anonymous
Crying is OK, there's nothing wrong with it,cry until your heart's content but maybe talk to someone
TacoSoup
Crying is natural. Try to cry it out, but let yourself realize that you need to move on from this moment and into a new one.
pizzaasthetic13
Try to listen to uplifting music and get up and active! Often times sitting around or not doing much can promote feelings of sadness and increase depression. Go outside and get some sunlight and remember to be kind to yourself. Do things that make you happy or take part in activities or hobbies you enjoy. Call a loved one, make art, sing, pet animals, among many other things to improve mood and productivity.
Kayleighrose
I reach out to trusted loved ones (my boyfriend and my dad) and tell them how I've been feeling. I stay consistent with therapy and really push myself to go to sober support meetings along with trying my hardest to get myself out of the house.
helpfulMoment81
I would suggest going to see a counselor. This is a sign of depression and can be known as "crying spells". Sometimes you do not understand why youre crying, and so professional help is probably the best thing to turn to.
bigBubbles
August 3rd, 2016 2:20am
think about positive stuff and distract yourself from the sad things that are happening. write down a list of things that make you happy
Anonymous
See a professional. Talk to someone that loves and supports you. Think about ways to connect with others..
SoulfulMind92
It's best to find out the cause behind your tears. What is it that is making you cry and once you find out what it is, then you can search for what to do.
Zelomi
Crying is an excellent way to deal with emotions. If you have been crying for days, is usually because you have bottled up many feelings for a very long time. This can lead to a mental stress, and when that happens your body has a physical reaction to the emotions. The crying will stop once your body has decided that you have dealt with your feelings.
Anonymous
First, try to calm yourself and accept your emotions. Then do some of the relaxation techniques. Next, forgive yourself and others, and do something nice for yourself :)
SammiieSmiles
Hi there! Im so sorry to hear your feeling so emotional. Do you enjoy any specific hobbies? Is there anything you can do to take your mind off things? If there is things going on in your life at the moment try and address them to see what could be the cause of them, but if your not ready to or if there isnt anything worrying you then try not to dwell on it. Pick yourself up and maybe do something you like to do. Crafting, drawing, singing, listen to music or play games. Sometimes your body needs a very good cry and it can be natural to have this moment over a few minutes, days or hours. Remember if you need to talk we are always here 247 and 365 days a year. Take care and good luck xx
MintyLemon0921
Cry and cry until you cant feel anything anymore. It is best to cry rather than keeping it inside you. It will suffocates you so thats why you should cry.
crispEagle45
Have you tried doing something that makes you happy? Like reading, drawing, watching your favorite tv show, etc.?
Anonymous
Crying is OK. Don't be too hard on yourself. Try asking yourself "what do I need right now"? That way your body will feel listened to.
Anonymous
The best thing is to talk to someone you can trust. Someone who can support and understand you. Try looking for a friend or someone you are close to. If you are crying because of a certain thing that you find hard to talk to someone close to, talking to a stranger (such as a therapist) will most definitely help as well
wishfulDreamer58
Crying is an outlet for pent up emotional energy. First thing is to acknowledge that there is lot of emotional energy within you which is seeking some more meaningful expression. The very fact that you have raised this question suggests that you are not content with crying- you are looking at some more meaningful expression. Quantum physicists and ancient masters tell us that everything in this world is energy. You are releasing the emotional energy through crying. You may like to ask yourself- "What would it be like to convert this energy into something more empowering?" "What kind of activities give me power ?" "What kind of activities make me alive?" "When do I see myself expressing to the fullest?" "What would be different when I channelize and focus my vital energies into something which creates value and usefulness for self as well as others?" - I would invite you to reflect on these questions. You need not resist urge to cry. Just bring these questions into your conscious awareness. Your innate wisdom would guide you with light and direction. Wishing you the very best!
Anonymous
crying is a healthy way to release trapped, intense and hidden emotions. its okay to cry, its okay to let it all out. once you feel more stable, have a shower or splash your face with water, get into some comfy clothes and take it easy or do something that may boost your mood or smile.
NumberEleven
Reach out to people who care about you, a friend, relative or even a listener here on 7cups. If you feel comfortable enough, you could see a therapist.
HopieRemi
Ask yourself, what makes me cry? What makes me so sad and devasted that I sit here crying for days? Once you figure that out, ask yourself what can I do to get better? What is the first step I need to take to recover?
gentleVoice88
If you have something on your chest come and talk to a listener on 7 cups who can listen at your weakest times.going to a dr who can suggest therapy or medication options could also be a positive step
jovialMermaid84
Emotional release is a way of allowing what we are experiencing to process. If we do not allow this, it's possible the pent of emotions will be displayed in a negative way later on. Always make room for this purging. It will benefit you in the end.
Anonymous
Try doing things that make you happy, or things that used to make you smile and laugh. Talk to your friends about it. Vent it out. Let yourself feel that way, but then bring yourself back up because you know you deserve more than what you're going through, and only you can change the way you feel.
Elta
The problem may be rooted in a deep-seated issue that a clinical psychologist can help with. Going to get help, even if it is stigmatized in our society, is very important. Knowing what you need and going to get it is the best step. They can set up interventions and even psychiatry visits if you need medication to get you through the tough time. Just, don't be ashamed of feeling how you do. The emotions are telling you something, and it's best to get help from someone if you're crying often!