Am I depressed or just sensitive?

Richard Manson, BSW,CAP

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Compassionate, non-judgemental and experienced substance abuse therapist driven to helping guide clients to overcome issues relating to abusing drugs and/or alcohol.

naturelove7727
Based on personal reflection and observation upon my life experiences, I would consider myself more inclined to being a sensitive person. This sensitive trait, especially with people's feelings, and emotions, are particularly more enhanced due to my Empath identity which bestows me with the ability to be more in tune with the non-verbal cues during social interactions. Also, sensitivity is more pronounced in my disposition, because I do require a lot of personal time, privacy and space to recharge my energy levels after various social interactions. The lack of this recharging schedule would lead me to a state of detachment from the world, where I would fail to communicate with people using my effective empathetic listening skills.
Anonymous
Do you feel sad or alone? Do you feel crushed? Or perhaps do you feel like someone is being inconsiderate to you?
Anonymous
Is it not possible to be both sensitive and depressed? The word 'sensitive' has negative connotations: no one can tell you if something has or has not hurt you because they are not you. Only you really know how you feel both physically and emotionally. If someone tells you that you are 'just sensitive,' they are not being very supportive. If you're concerned that you may be depressed, seek a friend, school counselor, parent, relative, or a kind therapist; there is hope.
LittleLemon96
it depends on your situation you can do this depression test to help you figure it out. https://www.7cups.com/depression-test/
miraculousBeauty49
Depression isn't necessarily about taking everything to heart, it's more about not being to see any positive.
Supergirl94
Could be either or both :) Depressed is feeling like you are in a black hole, you have negative thoughts, you feel down about life and may be able to see some good things but primarily you feel very very sad and negative towards things. You feel unable to feel happy or boost your mood. Sensitive is where you just feel emotional towards things, where you may very easily get emotional from something someone said, something you have seen. You can't really control it but you just suddenly feel emotional or feel an emotion because of something. :)
Renderstarve13
I don't know. I hope you just sensitive. Don't be so desperate. Everything will be fine. You'renot depressed
Apollosdaughter
Well, it just depends on your case history. Just by judging from the question would be improper and not good.
Friendtoday
You should never make excuses for how you are feeling. If you are feeling sad or upset, take the time to think about why. If you are feeling down for an extended period of time, it might be wise to seek the help of a professional to rule depression out
AmyJulianna
I used to wonder the same way. I recommend taking online depression screening tests, like the one on 7cups.
Anonymous
Depression makes you think things negatively so they impact the way you see certain things, therefore feeling more sensitive. For example if you are depressed and have low self esteem, hearing someone say something negative about you will impact you more than usual.
Anonymous
This is a tough question to answer, unfortunately, since I do not know your exact circumstances. If you believe you have depression, however (or if you have any other concerns about the state of your mental health), I would advise you to speak to a licensed therapist/psychologist for the proper diagnosis and help. I will say that, from what I know of it, having depression does not mean that you are being too sensitive. While depression sometimes involves an overwhelming sense of sadness, it can also be characterized with a feeling of being "numb" or "empty." You may lose interest in all the activities that you once have enjoyed doing.
TessMo
"Depressed is a very big word" as my psychologist would say. Being depressed isn't just feeling sad or blue for no reason. It's not feeling motivated to do anything, losing interest in the things that you loved doing, it's being 3" away from an unexplainable breakdown. Now I can see why these two things can be mixed. Being sensitive is self explanatory; having a very thin layer of tolerance and boat loads of emotional instability. Based on what I know, being sensitive won't make you self harm or be distant. You'll just get hurt for a while and then maybe in the next two days be over it. This is my opinion though, it might not be the right one. :)
ThatKidWhoStealsAllTheSocks
In this sort of situation you have to look at everything and think hard to yourself. "Is there anything going on in my life that can cause me to be depressed? Do I cause anything to cause myself depression without even knowing it? Am I surrounding myself with people who support me?"
UniqueHeart
Depression is a constant state of sadness where you have little energy, are lethargic, experience feelings such as anxiety, guilt, helplessness and low self esteem. You have no motivation to do things and find little enjoyment in things. You may also experience suicidal tendancies. This is very different from sensitivity - being sensitive means you feel things more deeply than others and so are more affected by these things.
brightCandy74
September 22nd, 2016 9:01am
It depends on the person and sometimes both are interconnected. If a sensitive person grew up in a non-supportive environment, they are more likely to be depressed. If an sensitive person grew up in a supportive environment, it’s less likely they will be depressed.
StrongSpoonie
I think it all depends on what is going on in your life. Depression and being sensitive are not mutually exclusive. Certain things like health, noise, people not listening can both agitate and depress. But, if you are phrasing sensitivity as being bothered by unimportant things, that's not the case. If something doesn't make you feel right, it is important. Don't ignore depression because you think you are just being sensitive.
Anonymous
Depression can vary. It can be clinical or it can be just a period of time when you feel exhausted and sad. You can differentiate between these by talking to one of our listeners or using a guide on our website. Generally, if you are experiencing feelings of depression for longer than two weeks you might want to talk to your doctor and get more information.
JackalopeJacqui
This is a tough question to answer. I do believe there is a line between the two words but I also believe they have much in common. Personally, I am not a very sensitive person and for a long time I thought you had to be very sensitive to even be depressed. But now I don't believe that is true. I spent a long time telling myself that because I wasn't overly sensitive, because I didn't cry much that I couldn't have been depressed, that didn't add up. But I was depressed and I did need help and because of this stereotyped view of depression it took me a long time to accept it. I think honestly sensitivity has little to do with depression. You shouldn't consider your sensitivity when trying to find out if you depressed. For me I had to look at my behaviors, my feelings, my thoughts and my actions to figure out I was depressed. How I reacted to events wasn't important, where I was sensitive or not. What mattered was how these events and feelings effected me in the long run. That's how I knew.
Dandroider
Depression has a lot of signs, not only being sensitive, for example the inability to motivate yourself or to feel joy in things you liked before. However you can only get a reliable diagnosis by a professional.
Anonymous
Depressed or sensitive? All I can say is NEITHER of the two. You are just human who can feel whatever comes. Just remember that everything will pass. :)
Anonymous
I'm not quite sure. I always thought I was just sensitive, and had to "suck it up" as my dad says.
colorfulJoy46
I think I am both depressed and sensitive. Being sensitive is part of my personality but being depressed is kind of a cause of external factors.
dontgivein
sensetivity: feelings liable to be offended or hurt; sensibilities. depression: feelings of severe despondency and dejection.
ComfortingForest
August 3rd, 2016 12:20am
You can be depressed and sensitive, or just sensitive. Depression isn't only being sensitive though. Its a wide range of mental, physical, and emotional symptoms, some that even you may not notice. Though in depression irritability is a symptom and can be perceived as being more sensitive to things. It better to think about it as a wider net of things then simply being sensitive.
Holmes54
Both are different terms...being sensitive and being depressed...! Sensitiveness can be related to amy physical and non physical things... but depression is about yourself or about someone whom do you like the most!
Anonymous
It really depends on what goes on and how you feel. If you start to become worried its best to talk to your doctor
scotty4947
Everyone has their own limits as to what they can endure. Either way, don't think being either one will stop us from listening to you! If you feel as though you are depressed and talking doesn't help, I can recommend you to one of our amazing therapists! Otherwise, we can talk about everything and see if you feel loads better.
Anonymous
Depends on the situation. If you elaborate alittle more then we might be able to figure out your mental state.
HopieRemi
I cannot tell you if you're depressed or just sensitive as I cannot diagnose you. But if you have even an inch of concern, a professional is the only one who can give you the answer you want.