Is it normal for me to like my scars?

Kristin Noyes, MSW, LCSW

Depression and anxiety can feel overwhelming even on the best of days. I believe in helping clients understand these disorders and help them to reduce and manage symptoms.

Erynn - Expert in Self-Harm
It's not uncommon to like your scars. Some people see them as a sign of strength if they have recovered - they see their scars as a remnant of a difficult time they got through. Some people like them because they represent the pain they are in and are a visual representation of how they feel. Some like them in an aesthetic manner, possibly because they have 'taken control' of their body or because it sets them apart. There are many ways to view your scars, and while many people feel ashamed, others may like their scars - AND it's possible (and perhaps common) to both like and dislike your scars at the same time for different reasons. However you feel about your scars, it's ok. I just hope eventually you can start to heal from whatever it is you are struggling with right now.
Anonymous
February 1st, 2015 1:35pm
Yes! Your scars are a sign of the battle you have fought, and though some are ashamed, it's okay to like them. But making new scars for the sake of this is not something you should do.
laylac09
It depends I guess on why you like them? (: I have a love/hate relationship with my scars. I love them because they remind me of what I've been through and the fact that I made it and I've been a year a 3 months clean. On the other hand, I hate them because I feel insecure that people will judge me. So I guess it's normal to like your scars depending on the reason? C: (not an expert)
Jenniiy
Honestly I think it's normal. Sometimes you hate them like hell. You regret doing it and you're ashamed of them. But sometimes you like them. They're a part of you now. Every scar tells a story. Your story. And then it hurts if they're fading.
Anonymous
I look at mine when alone and think about the journey I've done and so far survived (don't know how at times). But I hate others seeing them so I always cover them up as I hate people seeing them and then judging me before they even say "hi"
HelpfullOwl
January 31st, 2015 1:49pm
Completely normal, What you need to remember is just because someone might not like their scars, doesn't mean you shouldn't like yours, Everyone gets scars through different ways and some people even call them their battle wounds. If you like yours its completely normal and completely okay.
Anonymous
When you look at your scars, they are like little mini screens. And in them you see and feel just what you've been through. But different people approach them differently. Scars can be embarrassing. They can be strengthening. Embarrassing, for the fact that they can be judged and frowned upon by others. Strengthening, because you know how you felt that exact same moment..and having dealt with it; holding this as reason to harm yourself again is not encouraged though. So yes, it is normal to like your scars.
IsisWondeerland
Yes, but no. Yes, because Scars are the proof of what we've been thought and that we ARE strong. And No, because they shouldn't be there, but as long as you don't keep making them you must learn to love them and keep them as a reminder of what you have (I hope) left behind
Chyenne
It can be - it can be symbolized as a reminder that you got through something yourself, you are brave and you are strong. I like my scars, as even though it reminds me of my past which isn't so great, it also reminds me that I got through it and I am stronger than I originally thought I was.
Ali
Of course. It's your body and you should love it! Embrace your scars, embrace your past, and keep moving forward.
HopefulComfort16
Yes, I believe it is. Because they are a part of you and they tell your own story. They are unique. So I think it's completely normal to like your own scars. #staystrong♡
Anonymous
Yes it is. They remind you of the journey you've taken. How you've grown and how you've moved forward. They should be reminder of all that you left behind and how you won't fall again.
YourePerfectDarling
yes it is normal my dear, your scars are there to represent everything you have gone through. And by having scars, it reminds you of how strong and brave you were, it also reminds you of how successful you were at jumping over the obstacles you faced
Anonymous
Your scars tell your story. You can be proud of them because you survived what you were going through.
JakeXO
I like my scars because they remind me of what I have overcome! Its not easy to defeat depression and the fact that I only have scars and not fresh wounds give me pride.
Anonymous
They're a part of you, they show you where you've been and what you've overcome. What would be different if you didn't like them?
colourfulWind85
It is pretty normal for people who self harm to get attached to their scars. But that doesn't mean that they are a good thing
awesomeMoment27
It seems like you are asking if its okay to love your scars? Your scars are a part of you and the most important thing is to love yourself.
Lizzie312217
yes, it's normal. I have felt like this don't worry :) But remember your scars don't define you, you don't need to hurt yourself to feel something, just try to think of the beautiful things in life :), it'll get better
YourPalLucifer
Yes! Some people do like their scars, like it reminds them that they're strong, that they made it through the tough time they were in.
Deadlyxrealityx
Yes it's very normal. As long as you don't want to create any more. It's good that you accept yourself.
Anonymous
If you like your scars that's fine, if you hate your scars that's fine too. I just don't like to think about people giving themselves scars
Anonym0us03
November 1st, 2016 6:05pm
It is normal. You may feel like your scars are a security blanket or show you how far you have come.
Ashley1094
I think it's normal. Sometimes people look at their scars and it reminds them what they went through, how hard things were at some point. By seeing the scars some people think "wow, I am so much stronger and I have grown so much." It can be a reminder to yourself to never go back to that place, because you know you can make it through.
Anonymous
It can just mean you are proud to show them. You may be proud because it’s a battle you have won.
Anonymous
I used to like my scars but only to remake them. I went through a stage of hating the thought and look of them but have recently turned to liking them and thinking of them as battle scars. I faught my battle and am still here today to continue fighting.
Anonymous
Honestly I think that it’s not that weird that you like your scars. I personally love my scars. I started self harming without a good reason just to see how it is and quickly became hooked on the feeling. This weird kind of excitement I feel while looking at my scars is a great feeling. I enjoy just looking at them not really thinking about anything just seeing how many there are. It’s not really that I remember all of the things I cut myself because of it’s just that the cuts are there whenever I need them. It’s like some kind of medal that shows someone how bad it is even though at the first second of someone even suspecting something I get nervous I really want everyone to just know the scars also have some kind of feeling of control like I can just show them whenever I feel like I’m ready and be able to stop lying