What is the best way to deal with a situation when you find yourself triggered?

Hannah Caradonna, MSW, RCSW (RCC #11330)

Social Worker

I offer a warm and non-judgmental space for you to work through your problems. I can help you with anxiety, disordered eating, depression, relationship problems and more.

TaranWanderer
If possible, it would probably be best to try to remove yourself from the situation and go somewhere where you can calm down and practice any of your positive coping methods. If it's not possible to get away, you can try to do some more internal, un-noticeable practices like mindful breathing to try to get past the trigger.
CalmingLily
January 22nd, 2015 3:24pm
Focus on your breathing, distract yourself, if you can get out of the room, turn off your laptop etc, excuse yourself from a conversation
FlowerInDisguise19
You can always talk to someone close to you for help, they will help you deal with the triggers and talk you through it. Otherwise, we are always here on 7cups if you need us, so pop into teen support or consider connect on a 1-1 with a listener :)
JoannaC46
take a breath. try not to think about it. think positive. think about you don't want to be triggered and you want to be happy.
Anonymous
Practicing grounding techniques - so focusing on your senses and things you can see, smell, hear, taste and feel to be inn the present moment. Pause and concentrate on breathing slow deep breaths. Remind yourself it is a temporary feeling that will wash over you like a wave if you let it. You are safe and in control.
Anonymous
If you are talking about real life, you can ask for the theme of the conversation to be changed or just back out. If you are talking about being a 7 Cups listener, you can refer the member/guest to another listener. For doing that, go to a Listener room and ask if anyone is availiable to chat. If they are, show the member to that listener. If no one is availiable, you can ask the member/guest to go onto the 'Browse Listeners' page and find a new listener. Politely, of course. Good luck!
SkiesFreedom
Once again there is no clear answer because everyone is different and different methods work better or worse for other people. One thing that should help in some way is distraction. See friends, do some sports, cook a nice meal, Watch a movie, paint, create something, write, whatever works for you. Distraction is always a good method to clear your head for a moment.
beautiful5oul
If it is possible, find a way to excuse yourself from the situation. If you can excuse yourself, take a moment to relax, get your thoughts away from the situation. Maybe you can listen to music, take a brief walk outside, watch a video that makes you laugh.
Anonymous
I used to be a self harmer for years...But then I stopped because of my husband who had forced me to quit but that doesn't mean I don't have triggers or urges now and then...How I personally deal with it is I tell myself that everything is okay that this too shall pass and that I can let myself just relapse after all of these years..and that I have to be here for my husband. Someone I love made it so that I could quit and it's what keeps me from going back to my old ways...
calibvb
November 1st, 2016 11:29am
To think positive, calm down and breathe and to keep going. Walk away fr0m what got you triggered if you can.
PaigeSm
Take a deep breath, step out of the situation mentally, and think! Think about all the positives that would come if you managed to deal with the trigger. Either way, make sure you praise yourself as you can notice your own personal triggers!
StillBlooming01
When triggered, you should remind yourself to take care of yourself. You know what's best for you. Try to get yourself calm by focusing on your breathing, lying down or sitting down and only focus on your breathing pattern. Maybe drink some water and tell yourself that it is gonna be okay, because it will be. If you can't seem to get yourself calmed down, maybe try to ask for help from someone near you. For example a friend, a parent, brother/sister or anyone you feel comfortable with.