Sometimes I hear a voice in my head that tells me negative things like everyone hates me or I should kill myself. What should I do?

Cynthia Stocker, LCSW,

My approach is direct, kind, honest & collaborative. My clients appreciate that I help them in a way that cuts through the jargon and gives clear explanations.

Anonymous
Well, In my opinion, it is best for you to get help from a counselor. They can help you a lot more than I can. I am not a professional in this type of thing,
Bellalala09
Even though these thoughts can be incredibly overwhelming, compelling, and distressing, it's important to seek help immediately. Halting these harmful thoughts by reaching out to a hotline can be life-saving and has the potential to provide solutions to the problems that you may be facing. While you may not hear anything particularly profound, being heard and supported will give you the hope that you need to continue facing your struggles and work towards improving your mental health and well being. Thoughts of suicide are serious, but through therapy, extended support, and the establishment of a long term path to recovery, these overwhelming emotions can be handled in a positive and sustainable way.
Anonymous
If a friend talked to you the way that voice did, would you keep them around? No. You'd know that they were lying and hated you, you'd distance yourself. That voice isn't you, that voice isn't trying to help you. That voice is a monster, what do we do with monsters? We rid ourselves of them. Don't ever listen to the voice in your head if it tells you horrible things. Don't believe it's mean, cruel and unjust lies. You are your own person, and some monster shouldn't tell you whether you deserve to live or not. Stay strong, tell the voice who you are. Show it how incredible and beautiful you are. Never let the voice win.
Anonymous
Oh darling, you could be experiencing many things. You seem to be showing signs of Schizophrenia. It could be anxiety. Seek help.
Anonymous
Imagine saying that to your best friend, or the most important person to you. You wouldn't be able to, would you? That's because they don't deserve it. But neither do you.
Anonymous
It's not my place to give advice. But do you think you could tell me more about what makes you feel this way and I'll try to help as best as possible. I can guarantee that there are people that love you and can't imagine you out of their lives. I'm gonna be here for you and help you work through this feeling okay? I'd like you to as a little mission to each day write something you love about yourself on a sticky note and place it on the first place you see when you wake up, add a new one each day.
Nottheend
Close your eyes and think of all the times you made people smile. All those times your small deeds made someone feel loved, happy and acknowledged as important. And ask yourself, did those people hate me then? I think you know too, that they don't. I know its so easy to feel less and judge ourseves critically. Its human nature as we tend to want to improve in the world we live in. But its essential to remember all the good parts of you too that is very much part of you and matters as much if not more!
Celty
I have a list of all the things that I have done right in my life, from graduating to being good at taking care of my friends. I also screenshot the sweetest texts I received from my friends and record the voicemails from my dad. It helps me to keep in mind that nobody is gonna hate me because a one single bad decision. I learnt to say thank you to the people who support me no matter what I am going through instead of being sorry. I do believe in gratitude and forgiveness, and I think that if I want it to feel true to others when I tell them I hold no grudge, I first have to apply it to myself. I remember that some people look up to me for inspiration. If I am hard on myself, they will be hard on themselves. I dont want that because I truly believe that most of the things we worry so much about arnt real after all and that we should enjoy the little things. My cat inspires me a lot : as long as he can get food, water, tenderness and a warm place to rest, he is happy. He doesn't care about any accomplishments. He is just glad to be alive. So am I. I dont think that there are many good or bad decisions to take in life. What matters is to be fair, honest, and gentle. What matters is to make your life interesting, not perfect. And I feel like many journeys ahead are thrilling. When I am facing something that really scares me, I remind myself that the "worst" things that could happen is to die. I do not panic unless something really threatens my life directly because I know that unless I die, I'll be able to make things evolve somehow. It is ok when life puts me on roads I did not plan to explore. What we usually consider as problems are often opportunities. Boredom is what happen when nothing unexpected ever happens. Not peace. Peace is a state of mind. It is the belief that no matter what I have to deal with, I'll make the best of it. I am not afraid of "risks" (different from danger) because sometimes what you could gain taking a risks is much worthier than the wound you could get by failing or worse, the stain that would forever ruin your memories if you did not even try. I believe in my ability to heal almost anything thanks to my personal resources, but also thanks to the loving people and community I surrounded myself with.
safeshoulder2CryOn
August 2nd, 2020 10:19pm
Our thoughts affect our moods, desires, feelings, attitudes, decisions, and behavior in sometimes surprising ways. Often when we hear voices that suggests negative things, we panic as it feels as if it originates from external sources. But we need to realise that these are artifacts from negative thoughts. These negative self-talk trap us into a loop of self-defeat and we are thrown into a roller coaster ride of self-loathing, self-doubt ups n downs. Being aware of negative thoughts is the first step to recovery. Any healing should not fuel negative self-talk. You should try to remove any triggers(sad music, being with certain people, being in certain situations), monitor n control your thoughts. Dont allow negative thoughts to dwell in your minds nor fuel them in any way. Try to engage in positive thoughts or engage in calming activities that will bring you peace, stability and happiness.Mindfulness n meditation has helped calm agitated and distressed minds. Develop healthy coping skills such as self-care to bring yourself out of the dark well into the light.
adoredIcicle46
Seek a therapist or someone to talk to. If you hear voices in your head it could be schizophrenia and if so you need help right away. Call a hotline about mental disorders and talk to someone.
helpfulHeart67
I noticed you said that you hear voices that tell you to harm yourself. You should contact the suicide prevention hotline if you every feel the need to harm yourself. I also suggest you seek professional help with your situation.
CopperSkies
This seems like something that is seriously bothering and upsetting you. For this reason i think that it would be best to see a doctor or another professional who may be able to offer services or medication to help you get through this.
Supergirl94
Seeing a doctor or a therapist would probably be a good step. It could just be voices that you can ignore and counter with positive thinking and telling/reassuring yourself that no one hates you, everyone loves you and that your life is worth living
orangerosess
Tell someone who can help you. see a doctor or therapist. talk to someone about it. preferably someone who can help you with counseling or medicine.
Anonymous
Ignore it, that is your depression talking and not you, that is you thinking irrationally. Just ignore it, you don't want that.
Anonymous
Please seek immediate medical help! Hearing voices is very reminiscent of schizophrenia and if your thoughts begin to sway toward suicide, you may be in immediate danger to yourself.
RaadhShenshah
Seek professional advice, find a therapist or consult your local suicide prevention helpline, and know that giving up does never good, uptil now you have survived 100% of your bad days, and you will keep on doing that, you just have to have faith in yourself and in your abilities, and search for happiness in little things, babies, plants, flowers, food or anything that makes you happy, find habits and hobbies and start living a more happy life :)
Anonymous
I recommend going to seek professional help, it is a serious case and a professional will bring in all the necessary things for you to overcome it
Anonymous
Seek medical help, the way you are feeling is not a good sign, nothing bad is going to happen but you need to seek help
featheringcrescendo
Don't listen to that voice, because it's wrong. Tell a trusted adult or friend and seek professional help. If it gets too bad, on the topic of killing yourself, call the suicide hotline for your country.
MyNameIsLiam
I suggest you see a therapist or call 911 is you are having thoughts of suicide. Stay strong. You can do this
shinystars26
You should look for help, maybe a psychiatrist. Don't do anything that voice tells you, because it's not real.
GiaPanda
This could be Schizophrenia which is a serious mental illness! You should visit a doctor or talk to a therapist!
organticVision66
You should know that the voices you hear are not real and you hearing those voices is a sign that your mental health is bad so you should seek professional help as soon as possible.
Anonymous
September 22nd, 2016 9:01am
What are voices? We might say someone is ‘hearing voices’ if you hear a voice when no-one is present with you, or which other people with you cannot hear. People have many different experiences of hearing voices. Some people don't mind their voices while others find them frightening and distracting. It's common to think that if you hear voices you must have a mental health problem. But research shows that lots of people hear voices and most of them are not mentally unwell. It’s a common human experience. Some people also see things that others can’t see. Others have touch, smell or taste sensations which they can’t explain in everyday ways. These experiences are called hallucinations. This does not make it abnormal – it’s just a word for a perception you may have that is not shared by those around you. If you are worried or seek professional help you can go to: http://www.7cups.com/online-therapy/ where you can be put in direct contact with a 7 cups therapist.
radiantMoment33
Go to the doctor and ask them for professional help they will most likely refer you to a councellor.
Anonymous
Never try to stop it!!! It's can hurt you. Just listen them and tell that voice 'you are not real. Do not care you.'
Anonymous
You should talk to a therapist. You know yourself better than anyone else does. Only you can decide how serious this issue is.
Anonymous
Never look towards your negative side, negative is almost never good. Prove it wrong and show it you are worth a life :)
Anonymous
October 2nd, 2016 10:14am
I'm so sorry you have to go through that. It is really hard to walk through people telling you bad things let alone your own head. You should seek help by calling suicide prevention hotline, based on your location just google "suicide prevention hotline". Or if you are currently going to school, try to talk to your guidance counsellor. It is free and confidential. They are professionals specifically trained to help you feel better. Again, I am really hear that you are experiencing this. I hope you fine help and feel better.
Talk to an expert therapist about social anxiety
Talk to a Therapist