How do I stop my compulsions?

Elena Morales, LMHC

I believe silence creates a cycle. With empathic and collaborative therapy, we break the cycle. I help clients feel validated and supported passed anger, shame, and anxiety.

fairybunny
What I do to stop my compulsions is pretend to freeze time, take a deep breath, and distance myself from the thought by busying myself with something else.
peacefulCat41
Ask yourself why you do these things. Compulsions are things we do that we cannot seem to control or keep ourselves from doing them. Like worrying for example. When your mind goes to the same negative thing repeatedly, it will produce the same result. It is the same with actions. When you do something over and over again, your body and mind tends to want to continue to do those things. In some cases cognitive behavioral therapy may be necessary.
kindSunshine18
By setting goals that make you feel comfortable and doesn't make you anxious and makes you feel happy
Everyone is different. There is no one answer fits all. If you are having feelings of compulsion that are interfering with your daily life or activities, perhaps speaking to a trained professional like a counselor or therapist can help.
caringMist876
whenever you feel obsession just go away from that situation.. like talking to a friend or doing your hobby work go out to chill. or use thought stop therapy.. write down on paper about all you want to do n stop yourself.
cantantelope
Pinpoint exactly what emotions and thoughts are causing the compulsions, then target them with logic and the help of a therapist.
YellowDaydream
It depends. But on a general note, understanding your compulsions and why they are here can be very helpful. Then you can also work on a reward system; setting up small goals and rewarding yourself when you accomplish them! I wish you the best of luck x Reach out if you continue struggling
windfox3
Recognizing compulsions is the first trick. Sometimes we want to go out and shop for things we don't need, eat things that aren't good for us, or do something like write a nasty email, impulsively - when our feelings are hurt and we desire to lash out. Once you recognize the desire, it's time to put a better coping mechanism into play. Set a timer on your cell phone or tablet for 30 minutes. Make yourself a cup of tea and dedicate your time to either cleaning, or reading; or if the weather is nice go for a walk outside. Be mindfully aware of what you are doing - don't dwell on the desire, but live actively in the moment and absorb the world around you. Once your 30 minutes is up, review your feelings. Are you still as strongly compelled to give into your compulsion? OR have you effectively conquered the desire and see it was perhaps not a wise choice? Some times compulsions can linger for awhile. If this is a deep seated compulsion, sleep on it overnight and see how you feel about acting the next day. Time and distance can give you a lot of great perspective.
wonderfulSunshine91
Take a deep breath and have a distraction. You could even list some distractions and put them in a jar for you to randomly choose.
Anonymous
I would say to start defining them. With this you can figure out where you want to go and what you want to fix. Once you have done that, start putting goals down to work to fix these issues for yourself, maybe even a checklist of sorts. This will allow you to track your progress and see where you are improving and what is Still left to be done. Following things like goals can give a bit of a distraction from your compulsions and allow you to draw your mind to other aspects of your life and how you can improve past your compulsions.