I have trouble with my school work due to procrastinating. And my anxiety always gets in the way. How do I get things done?

Ken Thom, LPC

I believe that emotional dys-regulation is the underlying cause of all mental health challenges. I help people regulate their emotions and then begin their healing journey

bestRabbit99
Listen to some of your favorite calm music, sit in a quiet place, and have a nice snack. Once you take your school work out and you start working is really hard to stop, try to set small goals. Like every 15 minutes I have a 5 minute snack break. Don't go on your phone during that time, cause it will make it hard to start working again.
plushParadise15
Start by not focusing on the things that is causing you to procrastinate. Rather stop to evaluate the purpose of the things you are doing, in your life and how important those things are. Then reflect on those things and consider the aspects that is going to benefit you in the future. Once you have established that, make some sort of commitment to yourself to prioritize things of importance and value versus things that does not benefit you in anyway.
exquisiteLion14
Why do you think you procrastinate so much? Have you tried using some organizational tools to help manage your time?
IAteCheesecake
Getting things done or going about your usual routine can be challenging for people that over think and procrastinate. My best advice would be to find a quiet spot through your day with no distractions and work away. Make this a daily routine so eventually you will recognize that time as being a quiet study time to work. If at school, ask if you may be moved to a privet spot were you can be alone an work. Its all about finding your calm and quiet area with no distractions so you can have full focus on the task at hand.
Anonymous
Tell yourself that if you do a certain amount of your work, you'll do something you like. For instance, you're writing a paper. Say to yourself, "If I write a paragraph, I can watch half an episode of my favourite show" or something like that. If you have anxiety about your work, assure yourself it's fine and you'll do well. Have someone else assure you.
delightfulBlueberry47
Have you went to the anxiety guide yet? If not then try it and after wards you can message me and talk if you want to.
Anonymous
First of all, it is always good to notify your teacher and parents about your condition. Most people who procrastinate and have anxiety in the way often find that they have a high expectation of themselves. Try to just do it and be less perfectionist. Divide the task in manageable small portions, so that you can focus more and feel a little achievement when one small task is done. Also, take a break every once in a while, so it doesn't get overwhelming. I always take 10 minutes break every 45 minutes. Just to get some fresh air and a little movement is often helpful!
FluffyKoalaa7
Anxiety has a tendency to make things seem bigger than they really are. Perhaps a planner could be used to help narrow things down
Anonymous
Write down your homework assignment due asap and work on them one at a time but breaks are good for you so don't stress about it
Anonymous
Babysteps. You have to work at things slowly. PIece by piece. Do a couple questions, or little bits of readng at a time. Don't do it all at once, because personally thats how I lose focus, but if I do it in pieces, I tend to get more done.
CalmingSunshine08
There's great apps out there for both androids, Iphones and PC's to help eliminate procrastination by blocking the user from going on sites that they can procrastinate on or locking the user's phone for a certain time limit allowing them to get work done. There are also great musical mixes for purely studying, so any number of those can help you combat procrastination!
lacedaniellehelp17
Try to get them done as soon as you realize it needs to be done. No matter how far away it's due. Do it then and there. You'll feel accomplished.
Missy15
Don't be too hard on yourself for procrastinating, sometimes it's not such a bad thing! Try making a "to do" list and give yourself a reward (like watching your favourite TV show) after the list is gone!
hopefulsnowflake
first you have to specific the things that you required to do then you got to know that it have nothing to do with anxiety or repress it's your study so try to cool your head and enjoy every part of it
ChaiTeaLatte138
I had to contend with anxiety disorder, panic attacks, and an overwhelming amount of school work in college. I managed it by doing a couple things that are going to sound overly simple. I kept my room clean and organized. If I didn't it would distract me to no end and I could not be productive. I got a nice, small notebook with plain paper inside. I had a crazy planner with a million pages that I never used (and I wasted a lot of time with it). I made a list every single day in the small notebook. I would write down a list of everything I needed to do. I would then re-write the list, breaking the larger tasks down into prioritized smaller tasks. I placed little check boxes next to each item. Make the small tasks things you can actually accomplish that day. Be brutally realistic when you rewrite your list. Never overshoot when you rewrite your list. The idea of the small tasks list is to make overwhelmingly huge tasks manageable. Focus on full completion of those small, bite-sized tasks. Take a pen and place a check next to completed tasks on the list. Full completion of the small tasks will help you gain confidence toward your goals which will help with anxiety and procrastination. As you hone your list making skills you can begin to plan ahead and write prioritized small task lists for each day of the week making your workload as manageable as possible. There are only so many hours in the day but hopefully this system will help someone spend them with less procrastination and the ensuing anxiety it creates.
Anonymous
Instead of looking at your schoolwork as the ever immensive boulder of SCHOOL WORK, try to think of it in smaller terms: tinier goals. Keep cutting your homework bundles into smaller chunks of work until you can mentally prepare yourself for it. For example: instead of thinking "I have to do my homework," think: "I have to do the first half of my homework by 7pm," or even "I have to do two problems by 6pm," and then at 6pm add another 2 problems as a goal, &c. Try thinking outside the box. Maybe try doing your homework in a new environment, like on the lawn, or in a different place where you can feel more relaxed and focused.
Anonymous
Set yourself realistic goals and a schedule to get it done. Cramming things in at the last minute will only make the anxiety worse.
Anonymous
Procrastination is a serious problem that a lot of us deal with - even in the face of looming deadlines! The best way to tackle school work is the same way you would eat an elephant - a little at a time. Break your outstanding projects into manageable chunks and commit to completing one or two chunks a day. It's amazing how quickly your backlog will go down.
ManaBearOf2
Have tiny accomplishments for the homework given perhaps do half after supper and half before bed then give rewards towards getting it done like video games or whatever you are interested in
helpfulSugar9
I struggle with this also! :( I've tried many things from counseling, medication, methods, but I think things that don't take effort is the best thing to do. Like tea. or excercise. I feel like exersice actually does take effort but if you don't mind, I think it would be good (mine is just tea haha) but I think the more you are able to make yourself not think about the fear of it without any effort the better. The technique method will not work for me because I'm afraid I can't do the technique also (techniques like do home work for 5 mins and you'll be doing it for an hour method and stuff lol) You're not alone:)!!
sunnytea
I struggle with starting my tasks too, occasionally. It's easier to avoid and let it surmount into what seems is an impossible task, but it is doable. Starting is the hardest point for me, but once I begin, I find it's easy to continue with the work. For difficulty starting, break down the task into the smallest steps you can. For example: 1. Unzip Backpack 2. Take out folder 3. Find pencil And so and so forth until you've started your task. It may seem silly, but if it works, it isn't. If you're having trouble concentrating, the Pomodoro timer also helps me. The theory focuses on brain optimization, but I find that sticking to that 25 minute work timer helps me to get more work done. Then, you can enjoy a five minute break.
Anonymous
Maybe try only doing work while you're calm.
StrawberrySissa
I was a huge procrastinator too so I used treats to make myself do the job. For each things I get done I gave myself something. For exemple for working on an essay one hour I took a candy or listen to a song I liked. After gradding two copies in a row of my students I read two pages of the book I'm currently reading. I also use color code to get me organised better. Exercices are wrote in green, essay in purple, optional things in gray... And If something need to be absolutely done for let's say friday I write it in red on wednesday on my planner so in my mind it has to be done by wednesday and on friday I just write that it's the day I must give it to the person it's due to. Hope it helped you at least a little bit ^^
Anonymous
Try finding some ways to get more calm and take care of the anxiety, and really try pushing yourself to get work done.
Anonymous
Well, for one thing, your answer lies in the question itself! Your anxiety is due to procrastination, and the cause of procrastination is something you need to find out. Once you stop or reduce procrastinating the anxiety will reduce as well. If the anxiety isn't exactly related with work, them find the root cause of that and work on removing it. Once these two are out, you'll get work done automatically. Vice versa applies too where you can focus on getting with done and that will take your mind off anxiety and reduce your procrastination :) hope it helped!
Anonymous
Set time aside in your day (about an hour maybe?) just to focus on your schoolwork! Don't feel bad about doing it❤️ I also usually take a few calming songs and put them in a playlist when I do homework to help keep focus
Anonymous
You need to set up a time table, its the best thing, its helps you keep organised and stops you from procrastinating in a way as it structures your time of when you have to do your school work and when you can have free time to yourself.
BeckyPositivity
I find it helps to write a to-do list so all my thoughts and plans are in one place. It's also so helpful to tick them off as you go! I also like to write a timetable for studying and make sure I plan plenty of breaks!
Anonymous
I find it quite helpful to set specific time slots (e.g. in a diary/phone calender) in which to do work. Also do it in small chinks; it's a proven fact that most people find it impossible to concentrate after thirty minutes. If you're really struggling, make sure you ask your teachers for help.
healingSun32
Break each task down so you can work on one thing at a time. It can be overwhelming if you look at all the work you have to do. It may help to see the progress you make each step of the way so you are more motivated to continue doing work.