Why am I anxious at night before bed?

Why am I anxious at night before bed?
★ This question about Anxiety was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Michael Hofrath, Ph.D. Candidate

The only way to the other side of pain is to walk through it rather than around it. Life is a continual journey. Sometimes we get stuck. I will help you get unstuck!

blanket7
Most likely it's because it's late and you are tired and ready to go to bed and usually thats when anxiety hits, for me at least, you are just alone in your own thoughts.
Anonymous
Thinking about the day to come and what happened during the day. If i messed up i will worry about what will happen
Anonymous
While you are trying to sleep, your mind is not being occupied which makes it easier to have anxious thoughts. It is helpful to assure yourself that non-pressing matters can wait until the morning.
adoredHug70
I tend to think a lot before sleeping too. Mainly because we spend the day doing so many things that we don't have time to sink into our own issues or to try to deal with them. And before sleeping is the only time those thoughts start creeping into our head.
mollycaresaboutyou
I find it to because I am so worried about being alone in the dark with all my thoughts that I get myself worked up in case I can't sleep which is a largely irrational fear of mine.
WatchingOverYou
At night your body is naturally more relaxed and tired as it prepares for sleep, also by producing hormones that contribute to it that are not segregated during the day. At the same time, unfortunately this give your mind plenty of time and opportunity to focus on all your worries, negative emotions and problematic thoughts, some of which can drive anxiety. Particularly when you are in bed, the above mentioned factors can become out of control and form a vicious circle, which in turn can bring the anxiety to increase to the point of not letting you fall sleep or even sleep at all.
SpinningYarns
During the day it is easier to distract ourselves, but before we go to sleep those distractions tend to end and our thoughts get a chance to get a word in edgewise so to speak - they demand to be heard after having been ignored all day. That's why it is so useful to give them space with mindfulness practices or journaling. If they are not acknowledged and dealt with they can keep repeating and endless ruminating is not the best recipe for a good night's sleep that would be very healthy to one's mental health. Listen, deal, move on.