Why would someone who is already in pain wish to inflict it upon others?

Samantha Endicott, LPCC

I'm passionate about helping individuals explore the origins of core issues related to unhealthy self-esteem and shame in a collaborative and interactive style.

Marzia
I suppose that they want others to experience the pain that they are feeling. Sometimes, when people are hurting it hurts even more for them to see those around them doing better than they are. Often times, people want to see you do good, but never better than them. Sometimes these people are not truly aware of what they are doing, or they simply do not care. I think people can get to a point where their actions are unlike who they really are inside and what they would normally do, simply because they're in pain and they're depressed. I feel that it shouldn't be taken personally when people do that, but it can also be toxic and a good idea to distance yourself from the person. It's a realization that they have to make on their own, because if they are already in pain and inflicting it upon others, pointing that out may just upset/anger/hurt them more, causing them to inflict more pain upon you or others that they encounter. However, I'm no professional. :) If this situation is personal to you, I truly hope that things begin to look up for you. xx
strangePerson
December 2nd, 2016 8:59am
Because a person in pain wants nothing more than to soothe their own, and seeing others suffer the same thing helps. Also, a person in pain wants others to understand him.
Apanda
Sometimes pain comes from feeling like you're not in control. Hurting others can be a way to think you have control over something. It's also a way to express emotions people don't necessarily know how to handle. Unfortunately, most people don't realize that this only makes their own pain worse.
Henry170498
I would say that people wish to inflict their pain upon others because they feel as if nobody understands them.
Anonymous
Because they want others to feel the same way as they are. They want them to know what they are going through.
Anonymous
People often want others to feel the pain that they do. They feel it's unfair that they alone have to suffer when everyone else is smiling and laughing
positiveSummer89
Maybe they just want to take it out on others or just try to be cool/popularity or show off to there friends
SeaOfVoices
There are a lot of reasons someone struggling would want others to struggle to. One could be to achieve a sense of revenge against the world. Another could be that they want to feel in control, like they can dish out what they are served.
Anonymous
Some instances, inflicting pain onto other makes people feel as they do. This allows them to feel that someone can connect to the pain they felt as well.
CoffeeDrinker247
People who are in pain usually lash out at others because they are miserable and/or angry and people who are miserable and/or angry usually feel a loss of control. Inflicting pain on others does 2 things for them: 1)it allows them to make others feel as they do (yes, misery does love company) and (most importantly) 2)it provides them with some sort of sense of control. If you are on the receiving end of their pain, it usually helps to acknowledge that they are in pain but that you don't appreciate them projecting on you. Stand your ground and let them know that you would be happy to help them any way you can, but not if they continue trying to hurt you mentally, physically, or emotionally.
neverletlifetakeyourspark
They might be experiencing so much pain, they don't know anything else. It could control them and make them think hurting others is the answer, when it is not. It could simply just be too much to handle.
hopesanddreamsawait
They don't know how else to feel better about themselves. Sometimes it's easier to bring someone else down than to lift yourself up.
Anonymous
Inflicting pain upon others, I think, is a way of trying to forget your own pain. It takes your mind away from what you might be going through, and it also gives you a sense of power over others. It can make you feel stronger, and like you can control something. Most of the time, people inflict pain because of their own insecurities and misery. And as sick as bullying is, and as much I hate it and want it to stop, I don't completely blame them.
Anonymous
People have different ways of coping with pain, and some people who experience pain don't know how to cope effectively, which often means they will lash out as a result. I generally believe that most do not intend for others to feel the pain that they do, again because lashing out is their coping strategy. However there are no doubt some individuals who feel 'well I'm suffering, so why shouldn't they?', almost in the same way that bullies are often victims of bullying themselves.
ListenMoreTalkLess
I believe someone who is already in pain may wish to inflict in upon others so that they do not feel so alone in their pain.
iGetiT
Sometimes pain internally (mentally or other) and Physically (abuse or other) reaches a point where the solution isn't easy. You know you need something, but you don't know how to get it. Inflicting pain to oneself sometimes gives a sense of control in the middle of the storm. The hardest part is remembering storms pass.
2cupsofteaa
Probably because that person is feeling bitter or too overwhelmed by the pain that they can't control their actions and thus take it out on others closest to them.
BeyondEmpathy
Sadly people in pain arent always aware how they may be coming across to other people. This is not an excuse or a reason but may offer some comfort. Would it help them or you to discuss the pain further? Maybe sharing your experience could help you develop / progress further?
Chipoltleh
Based on my experience, bullies usually get their motivation to inflict pain upon others when they're being bullied. Unfortunately, a lot of people think that bullying will make their reputation climb up in school. So when people are bullied, they try to join in, so that they won't be considered an easy target to pick on.
melancholiaa
Because to them, the others may have it better. and it causes them to desire that life, when they feel like they don't have it. So they wish worse on others to feel a somewhat relief
Anonymous
They want other people to feel the pain they are going through. Physically or emotionally. I guess you could say they want others to suffer like them.
supportiveKiwi87
Because sometimes it's more of a subconscious thing, if I am feeling this, then you deserve it too... And of course that is not correct... And most of the time these people are not horrible... They just don't know any better... Don't know anything else...
Alexisheretohelpyou2
I've been victim of second hand pain before. It's a main cause of why people are bullied at school or at work. People in pain tend to want others to feel how they have felt. If you yourself don't understand why you want to make others hurt, I'd like to tell you there's another way to cope. Another thing someone who's been bullied can do is try to not make anyone go through what you've gone through. This is my method for being in pain. Hope it helps
Petrichor22
Some people may find it as a way of ignoring their own pain, to cope. However, it's not helpful. Because then people will make others feel the same thing they've been through. Some may be even jealous of others' happiness which is not very acceptable. If someone you know tries to inflict their pain on someone else, talk to them to sort out the issue or at least inform them of their mistake.
Listener1995
they probably don’t know how to cope with the pain that they are in. It’s never okay to hurt others because you are, but a lot of people cope by taking their pain out onto someone else
kindHand56
life has been tough for this person who is inflicting pain, life has not met their needs correctly, they're someone who wants to be heard, they want to let out some anger which is why they have no other choice other than to let it out. Don't take it personally :)
Anonymous
It's the perceived passage of pain. Someone selfish who's hurt needs everyone around them to hurt too. Then they feel that others can empathize with them, when in reality, they are just isolating themselves.
Anonymous
To find a way to cope with what they're going through. I'm not at all saying that it is okay, but that's how some people decide to handle things.
MKDavis
For revenge maybe. People may have no answers and blame it on others. Not their fault, maybe they just aren't so good at handling pain
MysticTails2701
psychologically it makes a person feel better about their pain due to not being the only one in pain