Everyone in school thinks I am bitter. How can I change their minds?

Elena Morales, LMHC

I believe silence creates a cycle. With empathic and collaborative therapy, we break the cycle. I help clients feel validated and supported passed anger, shame, and anxiety.

jovialMermaid84
To change their minds, you would need to change your mind, the way you interact with them. People will believe what you show them. It would be helpful to contemplate why they feel this way. Allow yourself to truly look inward about this so you can assess what needs to be changed about how the interaction may create this belief for them. Once you're aware, it is easier to make adjustments. Be the version of yourself that you want your peers to see.
DreamAvis
Usually bitterness stems from reclusiveness.. If people feel excluded by you, they make up an image of your attide for themselves. I know it can be hard, but try opening up to people.. When they introduce you to their friends be friendly.. Surely this notion of their a will go away once they get to know you.
WonderLostSoul
Get yourself out there, but still be yourself! Make tons of friends and you'll be just fine. :) :) :)
HajiCho
Find out why they think that and find a way to compromise with them. :) Compromise is everything and it helps everyone find common ground
mmmmegan
Try to think about why you come off as bitter to people, maybe it's the way you talk or do things. You can try to change that and appear as more perky and less bitter, but I also think that if you are okay with who you are, why should it matter what they think of you?
Junghwa
Alot of people who just met me think I'm bitter and boring, even my current friends had this image of me when I first met them. Usually I don't try to change their minds. All I'm doing is be myself and eventually the people who want to hang out with me will find out I'm not the guy they think I am.
patientJoy11
Prove them wrong. Impressions can be so wrong and completely opposite of who you really are. Bring cookies for people at lunch or give out compliments
Anonymous
Start off small, if you aren't outgoing you could just say a simple hello to a few people, if you mostly have a neutral or frowning face, try and smile to someone you enjoy the company of once in a while. A few kind words here and there and a positive attitude can go a long way as well!
Anonymous
Maybe they think that you are bitter because its what they are seeing from you or from your aura. Try proving them wrong that what they see from you is a bitter person. Be optimistic or happy. Don't spread negativity to people.
MeganP
Don't let other peoples' perceptions of you become a cause for you to change yourself. Let you just be you!The people who want to know you and be in your life will see you for who you truly are and not the 'bitter person' you say everybody thinks you are.
uniqueMango45
Start being more positive. I've been there - it can be hard to be happy, but if you put in a lot of effort you can feel happier and seem less cynical. Remember, be skeptical - not cynical as one is wary of the value of some things while the other knows the value of nothing.
Vheax
Show the school that you are not a bitter person by always keeping a smile on your face and being an example for doing good inside the campus and outside as well! Do not focus on the fact that other people find you bitter. Instead, you should focus on how to make yourself a better person by spreading good vibes and positiveness! They will realize how not-bitter you are before you even know it!
Anonymous
You shouldn't try to change how people feel about you, especially if you know you're not bitter. Just be yourself.
freshFriend18
Eat more and drink more so your not grumpy when you talk to them. Make sure your feeling physically good. Sometimes if we are suffering internally it comes out as bitter or aggressive but really you just don't feel good
Anonymous
Just be your self and your sky will shine through and they will know hi amazing you are smile smile
Anonymous
You can't change anybody's mind if they don't wish to change their mind. You can choose to change yours (and that's about it).
PerryMason
Don't listen to people who are trying to make you feel bad. If you don't think you are bitter, then you definitely aren't!
Suiginy
Try smiling more, making a little bit of an effort of being kinder/nicer to others, making a little more effort being more sociable and don't be scared of opening up.
NumberEleven
If you'd like to change their minds, smiling more ,talking to more people and just being more sociable in general will help
amazingHorizon37
Just be yourself, and socialize more, soon people will realize your the the bitter person they once thought you were
Anonymous
Be how you are. If they still think it don't listen to them, just be yourself, you shouldn't try to be different for others
awesomeSoul43
Make them realise your not and maybe change your attitude and be more active and positive towards situations but dont take it personal you are who you and in the end the right people will come to you
Anonymous
Who cares if kids think you're bitter in school? You are you. If you're happy in your own skin, don't ever change. If this REALLY bothers you, I'd suggest smiling a little more. Maybe help that one kid with his homework. But please, I beg of you do not change.
Anonymous
You could easily change their minds from thinking you're bitter by being nice to them, helping them in whatever they need help with, and most importantly be there when they do need help and you think you are able to hell them.
Petitlittleprince
Be excited and preppy, everyone thinks those girls are nice. Try to be helpful too! Iyou can do it๐Ÿ˜€
Anonymous
just go to them and try to interact with them and try help those guys on occassional moments so that they can feel your warm heart
Anonymous
Try being polite, and happy as you can. As people how they're doing, avoid drama, and if someone wrongs you, forgive, but don't forget.
justbe246
Smile. Be friendly. Step out of your comfort zone. It's hard at first but gets easier. Ultimately though, focus on making you the best person you can be, not what others think.
Anonymous
By taking some initiative, telling a few jokes or even just smiling or waving when someone greets you. Don't go over the top, it's the little things that make it.
Anonymous