Why am I no longer interested in things that once made me so happy?

Elizabeth Kincade, Ph.D.

I work collaboratively with clients because together we can make the changes you want and need. I listen and support and as well as advise and coach.

Anonymous
Losing interest in things that once actually made you so happy is one of the signs of clinical depression, according to an article by a doctor I read in the newspaper in the health section.
BeInJoy
In one word? Growth. Humans are not supposed to sit idle and let life happen to them. They are supposed to grow, and change, and experience new and different things. We are supposed to try hiking, snow boarding, art, climbing, acting, learning new languages. We are supposed to expand our minds. From that expansion, we are to learn what it is we have to offer this world and wholeheartedly GIVE that. When we are unhappy it is because we are not living a life true to what we have to offer.
Anonymous
Doing the same thing over and over will get to a point to where your mind will get bored of it, so mix up your event that your doing and try to and new steps and new skills and learn new tools to cope with your issues can help stop the loos of looing interest in what makes you happy
TheAnonymousHelp
As we grow older our likes and dislikes tend to change there's not a lot you can actually do about this its all just apart of growing up
grassence
Depression can make you lose interest in the things that you once enjoyed. But you must now it won't last forever.
UniqueLife
that depends on a lot of things. it could be that you simply just lost interest in it. or you're bored, or something hard and tough about those things happens and made you find it hard to continue doing it
Anonymous
It could be just you growing up, and maturing, but losing interest in things you once enjoyed is a symptom of depression
Anonymous
The same thing that once made you happy might remind you of something that doesn't make you happy...
Anonymous
Depression can cause you to lose interest in everything, because it consumes your life, making you sad and uninterested in those things.
Anonymous
This is a symptom of depression. If anything really upsetting has happened to you recently, or you're feeling really stressed, those may be some causes.
Anonymous
Sometimes we change and we do not even realize it. Our character changes and it's not until later you realize you no longer enjoy something you once loved.
DipityEnigma
There's a multitude of reasons as to why you no longer gain any sort of happiness from things past such as a negative memory attached to thing you once loved, as you grew older you grew out of that "phase" or you could just be going through a rough patch that makes you feel as though you're unhappy with these things which could symbolise that you need to get some help from someone. If you're willing to speak in more depth about it, I can highly recommend speaking with a Listener one-on-one so they can understand the situation and help you to come to your own conclusion of the situation.
Anonymous
We all change so do the things we enjoy doing and our ideas of happiness. Try to see development here.
Anonymous
Maybe it is time to try something new. Do new things and travel to new places. That way, there will be many opportunities to learn new things and find more things that make you happy.
PastelRhian
That can be to do with depression as it drains the enjoyment out of things, but it could also just be because you're growing out of stuff
KaptainKurt1
I think over time, it was mostly me growing out of certain toys and activities. More recently, I've noticed that I stopped caring about a few other things that seemed more important, but I know that over time I shall find their importance once more. After all, I kinda need to if I want to do something with my life.
Anonymous
There are many reasons for this to happen, it can be a symptom to depression or simply growing older, sometimes our tastes change and we develop new interests at the extant of older ones. I think it's important to make the difference between a lack of motivation in general or a lost of interests in only certain things.
Anonymous
Life can change so dramatically that something you once loved doesn't mean as much now. Maybe try to love something else
Stephenathome
Sometimes the journey is the most important thing in life. When you got to where you wanted to be to make you happy, what else is there? the old adage about careful what you wish for is very true in my experience.
gracefulPalm90
One point of reference is that as people age so do their interests. What we once loved to do when we were younger may not be so interesting anymore. However, chronic lose of interest in edifying things could be a sign of depression. It is always a great idea to speak with a healthcare provider.