How much exercise is too much?

Jessica Kell, LPC-S NCC CDC-I

Life spares no one hardship. It's why I offer skills, tools, & wisdom gathered in 10+yrs. of work as a Therapist to help you navigate yours. Lets do this together! I can help.

Anonymous
"Too much" is when you are interfering with your healthy lifestyle because of your exercising. This can be anywhere from 15 minutes to 5 hours... if the exercise is inhibiting you from living life, it is TOO MUCH. If exercise is blocking you from eating, it is TOO MUCH. If exercise is depriving you of sleep, it is TOO MUCH. If you feel constantly in pain, exhausted, worn out, it is TOO MUCH. If your social life is suffering, it is TOO MUCH. Exercise should contribute, not subtract, from a healthy happy life.
OneMomentInHerPresence
There's not a specific limit of how much excercise is too much really, it's all in proportion with how many calories you eat. The mroe you eat, the more you can excercise. The less you eat, the less you can excercise. Just don't excercise too excessivley and remember to eat when you're hungry.
BreatheEasy247
if you feel physically weak or light headed, or to the point you are putting too much strain on your body and are in pain.
listenercat5678
Too much exercise is when you feel your body almost collapsing with exhaustion. After this point, your body cannot handle the exercising.
August 3rd, 2016 1:27am
3 times a week is the average, about 2 hours max a day. If you are doing more days then lessen the time in each day. If you have any side effects at all do visit your doctor to confirm what is it you are over doing.
Anonymous
Honestly it depends on the person. You should always think of your health while exercising and consult your doctor
Anonymous
If it's to the point it's ruining your life, or hurting others or yourself, that'd be too much exercise.
Hope
Exercising is good for you in many ways for your physical as well as mental health , but like any good thing there is a possibility to out do it, returning to the question the answer will differ from one individual to other depending upon their current physical health
smileitswhit
October 2nd, 2016 4:41am
If your body is in severe pain then stop, there is pushing the limit a little and then pushing it too much.. Listen to your body.
Anonymous
There's no set number for everyone, because every person is different. In order to decide what is too much for an individual, I think setting both short term and long term goals will help you to achieve the desired results while preventing overworking yourself. As a former competition dancer, I made it a goal to get both of my splits in time for competition season. I would stretch both sides every night for the same time each night and go until I no longer felt comfortable holding the position I was in. I did eventually get my right split (I have medical issues that made my left split significantly more difficult) and I was able to avoid overworking myself and injuring myself by knowing my body's limits, and I am very satisfied with my results!
BronaghC
Too much exercise is when your body is sending signals, trouble breathing, headache, aches. They themselves aren't the problems, they are just like alarms in your body, warning you of other problems that might be occurring/might happen. So basically. Stop ASAP when these warning occur. You can shrug headaches off when your sick, when you haven't physically did anything to start them, but when you are exercising DO NOT ignore the signs.
Anonymous
Physical symptoms such as persistent headaches, irregular breathing or heart rate, aches and pains can indicate that the body is struggling under the current pressure. Its important to pace yourself and have rest days. Too much exercise will mean the body cannot comfortably function
Therhythmofheart
Trying to exercise more than your potential is too much.. Try to increase the your potential gradually. Don't rush to achieve the goal, take baby steps instead.
CoachJohn
There is such a thing as overtraining! Although having vigorous workouts are fine, make sure you stretch well and often, as well as constantly hydrating and giving your body the foods that you need to be at your very best. When you feel pain more than basic fatigue soreness, stop, get it checked out by a coach, trainer, or medical staff member, and stretch it out if they deem there is no injury.
lovingLynx89
Your body will speak to you. If you feel dizzy, or short of breath, ligth headed, but also talk to your health provider. Good luck!
Snowzee9
To much exercise is when you push yourself to point of exhaustion where you are out of breath and heavy sweating.
muhammeds20
brookeshere
exersize to the point your body feels tired. not to the point you can't handle it, you should be able to feel fine after a shower & nap.
Anonymous
It really depends on the person. For me, I honestly don't think I've ever worked out just too much. If you feel like you're developing serious physical issues, you might be overdoing it. If you can't focus on anything else, but exercise, you may be overdoing it. If you're asking yourself whether or not it's too much, it probably is.....
MintyMeerkat
Exercise is subjective to the individual- however I believe everyone should draw the line at exercising to the point of feeling weak/exhausted and run down. If your social life, sleeping patterns, food intake and other commitments are dependant/altered by exercise, then it is then that working out becomes a problem.
2cupsofteaa
It is too much if you're so exhausted that you can not function in other areas of your life. Balance is key,
Anonymous
Go at a pace that makes you comfortable and work from there your health and happiness at getting healthy is what matters
Dorin4You
Well, there are many researches that state that if you are new to exercising then you do not want to over due it right away. Give your body a couple of weeks to get adjusted. So I would say working out at least 45 minutes and no more then 1 hour 3 times a week is healthy. If you are going to body build then there is more time you need to spend in the gym.
DanW8011
I feel that 1 hour a day for 5 days a week of elevated heart rate and getting your body moving to be adequate for most
ajoshi
If you reach the point where you're depriving yourself of sleep in order to exercise, or finding yourself absolutely exhausted everyday, you should take a rest. Reduced performance when exercising is also a sign of fatigue. When planning your schedule, account for enough rest days in the week :)
MessengerOfPeace01
When you start feeling pain and negative effects then you have overdone it, usually you would know it by yourself but the deal is to have enough self discipline to decide to be moderate and not just listen to your pride and push your limits for the sake of it or for any unimportant reason
TheIrrationalBuddhist20
If you are exercising more than 3 hours a day, that is too much. If you feel like you're going to pass out, sit down with your head between your legs, drink lots of water, and maybe take it easy the rest of the day.
ShadowPumpkin75
You can only know that yourself, because we are all different and our bodies react to exercise differently. But it is important to give your body a break, at least one day without exercise, in order for the muscles to relax and react to the changes you caused in them during exercising. Listen to what your body is telling you, it will let you will know when it had enough.
tillyfee
When you begin to hurt yourself through exercise, for example if you are exhausted all the time because you channel all your energy into exercise. Also, if you start to become obsessive over exercise, for example if you push yourself to exercise for x amount of hours a day because you feel something bad would happen if you didn't.
sereneWriting55
I don't think anyone can tell someone else what too much is for them - but if it interferes with other parts of your life - then maybe it's worth taking a look at.