My mother hates me and I don't know why. What should I do?

Australia

Catherine Davis, Bachelor of Community Education, Major: Counselling. Founder & owner of Mental Stress Buster Facilitation Service, Author & creator of, 'Mental Stress Buster' a do it yourself mental stress release process.

Therapist

I'm Cassie. I've been a successful therapist for over 10 years. I aim to help you explore your problem so you gain insights you need to constructively solve it on your own.

Righthere321
Talk to your mum. Calmly. Ask her why and tell her how you feel. If it starts getting like a heated discussion or a row...take yourself away until your calmer. Listen to what she is upset about, dont interrupt her, this will just frustrate things more Ask, listen, build. Love.
victor - Expert in Family Stress
People parents don't dislike them for no reason. The child must have did something the mom don't like.
Anonymous
You have to make your own decision and do what's right for you. If you're family doesn't stand by you, you don't have to listen to them either. No one knows what you are going through but you. In my experience, no one really wanted to believe that my mother was that bad, therefore they chose not to believe me. I held my head high, stood my ground and did not let them sway my decision. Like I said, it was very hard. Good luck.
AskBeth
Hello, I would like to listen to you and help you as much as I can. You could sit down and chat with your mother and ask her the questions you want answers to and I hope that it helps.
JustMeAndYou
Take a deep breath and try if you can to reflect on those who truly care about you, you are a one of a kind and have nothing to worry about, have you spoken to her about it?
PrincessSoapyWaters
Why don't you try talking to her and see what she feels? She may not hate you, may just act like it.
Anonymous
I would just be honest and ask her face to face. Worst situation: She tells you why she hates you. Best situation: It turns out your wrong and she actually likes you X
Anonymous
so does mine, and same with alot of friends i know. and sometimes you cant force love into people who refuse to but keep the people who do love you close. Family doesn't always mean blood
joannak44
I am certain your mother cares for you so much. Talk to her and tell her how you feel and maybe she will tell you what is going on
Anonymous
If you genuinely don't know why she hates you, and you've tried to see the issue from all perspectives with no avail, maybe it's time to try to talk to her. After all, no one can read other people's minds. The only way to definitely know why is to ask her. Maybe you could find a quiet time and place to sit down with her and have a serious conversation? If this is too uncomfortable for you and you are afraid you'll panic and not know what to say, you could try writing a letter. Another alternative is to have a neutral third party to intervene, such as an mature adult, a good friend or a therapist. I hope this helps you. Good luck.
Anonymous
i am in same situation, i am finished trying to figure this out. the point is, she does hate me. why? because she can't control me. she is a hater and i am the opposite it's all cool, i still liove her, little respect, but love. i refuse to be anything like her . I accept this fact. and i accept her, therefore she should try to do the same
SkyeLilyxox
I'm so sorry to hear you feel this way. Maybe you could try talking to her & explaining how you feel. Or perhaps talking it through with a trusted family member or friend & get their advice... There is always someone here at 7 cups to support & listen to you if you ever need it. You are not alone.
Anonymous
I will try and understand much better the situation and if it's really the case then you should talk to your dad or a member of your family. Or I will help you
Anonymous
Maybe you just feel as though she hates when in reality she probably doesn't ? What about talking to her about how you feel ?
Anonymous
A mother can't hate her children. You are her babe. Talk about your feelings and she will understand you.
SmileBeautiful1234
Lots of the time there can be misunderstandings, I think you need to sit down and have a chat with her and see what's up. Remember if things get a little rough in the chat yelling and violence is never the key, if your worried that will happen write a simple note on how you feel and some questions you want answered💘
Anonymous
Take the time to spend some quality time with her. She will really appreciate that you took the time out of your schedule to spend with her and only her.
FSKindness
Maybe you could do things that would make her happy. Doing homework and helping in the house is a great start. Then when she's feeling better maybe you can ask why she's been grumpy lately.
LoverOfHappiness
The first thing is to always love yourself first. And it seems silly because a lot of people seem to say this, but that's because it is true. Because once you love yourself you have the amount of strength to face people who may not like you. And the next step is to have a mature conversation with your mother or anyone for that matter as to what issues are on their mind about yourself and see if you can both come to an agreement or compromise to move forward in the relationship.
Anonymous
I would look out for friends to stay at, find comfort at. I hope you can find yourself in that.Take care
Lotus48
Mothers sometimes can have resentments toward their children for whatever reason. The best way to deal with resentment is a combination of time to heal, and communication when there's an opening.
hopefulParadise19
Jus show compassion towards her,dnt hate her if she hate you you should make her happy and dont do anything which she like
taylorfilby8471
January 22nd, 2016 10:23pm
It all depends on why she doesn't care for you. Your mother loves you no matter what. There will be a point in time when you had a big fight with your parents. Sooner then later it will all be over. Don't you worry :)
Its always good if you can sit her down and talk about it. Ask her directly why she is acting the way she is towards you. But if you have tried that and it doesn't work then it is good if you can create a bit of distance or space between you guys will also be good.
Anonymous
I would sit down with her, one on one, and speak with her. Ask her up front that you feel she hates you and you want to know what happened or if it is true. At least you'll have answers to the question you're asking yourself.
Anonymous
I think finding out why your mother allegedly hates you, or if she even does, and talking to her about it and maybe go to a counsellor with her.
dalya123
Do something nice for her, try to show your love by bringing roses or do something that makes her happy
musicalZebra37
Ask her about and try to obey her in what she tells. Avoid doing what she hates and always try to get closer to her when she is in a good mood.
Anonymous
No mother hates her own child. Talk to your mother. She is the one who brought you into this world. Maybe there are misunderstandings that can be worked upon.
xMeowsAndHugs
Find out the root of the problem. Communicate with the parent and express how you feel and why s/he feels that way. However, if they become overwhelmed with anger leave them be to calm down. If it gets to the point of physical struggle and feel as if you may be harmed call authorities so that you are able to get into a safe environment. In contrast, when talking calmly to a parent ask questions and try to get a full understanding of what is the root of the hatred. If and when the understanding is clear try to find a solution to the problem.