I think I might be schizophrenic, but I'm afraid if I bring my concerns to a doctor, they'll tell me there's nothing wrong even if there is, because I already think I have it. What do I do?

Parvathy Venugopal, MSc in Clinical psychology

Life is chaotic and you need to rest if you're tired. I am here to help you relax until you are ready to start over again.Your mental health is priority, so is your happiness.

Anonymous
Well most doctors should take any mental illness seriously. Explain how passionate you are that you have this condition. Especially with schizophrenic situations, that is a very serious condition and I would not see why they wouldn't help you out. Most doctors will take your worries into consideration. Also bring up to your doctor why you think you have this. For example, tell him what you have been experiencing and why it concerns you. Be very honest and tell him every detail. Doctors will sometimes refer you to a specialist on your condition so you can get the best care or medication in severe cases.
Leopoldo
If you have symptoms of schizophrenia, or any other mental health disorder, a professional will be able to easily identify them. If they let you know you don't match a diagnosis for schizophrenia, go ahead and tell them why you think you do and how this is affecting you, and they'll most certainly offer you more information or the option to continue therapy to figure out and cope with what it is you're struggling with. Even just the fact that these thoughts are concerning to you is sufficient cause to contact a professional, so that you may be properly supported.
AintLora
If you think you might be a shizophrenic, the best thing is to give it a try and talk to a doctor no matter how afraid u are. Every illness is equaly serious and you shouldn't wait until it gets worse. However, although schizophrenia can be upsetting and frightening, this doesn't mean that your life has to come to a stop. Approximately 1% of people will develop schizophrenia at some point during their life, meaning you are not alone in having the condition. Just like anybody else who has a long term or recurring illness, you can learn to manage your condition and live the life that matters to you.
OceanRest
I would imagine that you would have definite reasons for thinking you might suffer from schizophrenia. But if you are concerned about talking to a doctor, I would make sure that I talk to a specialist about this. I would definitely rather speak to a psychiatrist than a general practitioner. For the simple reason that there are in fact many different kinds of psychosis symptoms and different kinds of disorders that can look very alike. There is for example different kinds of schizophrenia and then other psychotic symptoms that go with mood disorders or personality disorders. So definitely speak to a psychiatrist. And if there's a choice, pick one who has been practicing longer. Also, don't let such a diagnosis scare you. There are very good medications to manage different symptoms and a psychiatrist will surely know how to navigate all of this. But take the step, get clarity for yourself. You don't have to live with the stress of wondering. Understand what it is and then you can begin to manage it. Good luck on your journey. I wish you the best.
supportiveHope2056
If there are specific symptoms that your worried about then a good first stop is your regular doctor. They should be able to alert you if there is something of concern that needs exploration. Schizophrenia is one of those illnesses where sufferers typically aren't aware of their condition, actually a lack of such insight is standard. Don't focus on diagnosing yourself. Instead seek a mental health professional if there is a major area of your life that is going off the rails. For example, If you can't seem to maintain a relationship, keep a job or have other major areas with notable and persistent failures.
Peacefulpasserby
It sounds as though you are going through a tough time right now. From my own experience, with different mental health problems, I would recommend seeing a doctor; schizophrenia is quite a serious mental illness and doctors won't dismiss your concerns. It is important for you to receive fast and effective treatment to minimise any harm the disorder might bring you; and you can't always help yourself on your own. In the meantime; take care of yourself and remain aware of potential delusions you may develop, and always seek immediate treatment at an emergency room if you ever feel at risk to yourself or others.
SophieWX
First thing you can do is definitely bring it to a doctor. It can either confirm or deny your fear of having the doctor telling you there is nothing wrong. If it is denied, then great, you have a doctor that can help you. If it is confirmed, that would still be better than self diagnosing, and a doctor might identify this as something that just isn't schizophrenia, and can point you in the right direction. I understand your fear, but until you tell a doctor or a specialist there is nothing else you can do, because it's never a good idea to act upon self diagnosis.
genuineFriend2015
The best treatment for schizophrenia is medication and therapy, I know this because my mother has it and is self medication with some substances that will make you raise your eyebrows. The only way to get a true diagnosis is and to work through those thoughts (with or without medication) is with an actual therapist. It is okay to be scared to speak with a therapist. It is ok to be upset if they do not believe you. As a patient you have the right to a second opinion and can always speak to another therapist. Maybe they will hear what the first one didn’t.
Anonymous
I totally understand how stressful the situation is and the worry you have, on another hand seeing a doctor might get you the help you need faster and even if it doesn't work the first time , you still can see another one until you find the right fit for yourself. Once the right diagnosis will be found and you will start your treatment, your life will get so much better and you will learn so much that you will be happy that you didn't wait any longer. It might take time and few trials but it is totally worth it.
littledragon420
Well self diagnosis can be very comforting, but isn't always the best route of action, for mental health's sake. Have you talked to anyone else in your life about your worries? As someone who experiences auditory and visual hallucinations fairly often, talking to a loved one or a friend helped me a lot before I ever even considered talking to a doctor about what was going on. I'm very sorry that you have had to deal with this without medical help so far, I know that not being able to trust your own mind due to delusions and paranoia can be really trippy and difficult to cope with.
GoldenFury13
January 22nd, 2020 7:31pm
I have personally never gone through this experience before, and it sounds like you want help with what you are going through, but you are afraid that the doctors will think that it is nothing and you wont get the help you need. I am unable to give specific advice but I am curious to if you have asked you family, school counselors, or close friends. When you are going through tough times like these you really need a shoulder to lean on so that you know that someone else is there. I hope this helps and that you find the help that you are looking for. :)
Anonymous
Bring your symptoms to the doctor and not your diagnosis. If youbuse drugs tell them. They will believe your symptoms so tell them the truth. If you dont hear voice and tell them you do they will believe you. You should not worry they will believe anything you tell them. Unless it is unusual. So if you tell them your mother ate your brother they will consider you delusional because that they won't think it happened. But if you tell them you see monsters they will Believe you are hallucinating. Why? They dont see monsters and decided there are none. They will believe what you say based on that they will decide if it is real or not but they always believe what you say is what you actually think. It will never cross their minds you will say things you know are false. So be careful.
Allie
Being concerned about our physical or mental health, even to the point of taking the time to search for the answer to that question is a bothersome situation itself if persistent and recurring. You sound like you would like to know what's going on and whether your assumptions have a basis, so asking for professional advice for something that concerns you is a responsible way to treat and take care of yourself, and you have every right to! Go ahead and ask for that professional advice and if the doctor you see happens to be an incompatible one you can even have a second opinion by another one. No worries!
LaurenAbashevaLMHC
Even if a doctor does tell you that there is nothing wrong. You are more than welcome to get a second, third, even fourth opinion. People can be wrong and make mistakes, even doctors. You can also discuss this with a Licensed therapist who can walk you through the signs and symptoms under the diagnosis and discuss if you meet criteria schizophrenia. I'm not sure if you have looked into the signs and symptoms but reading up on it, as well as even talking to others about it. Even going to a psychologist or psychiatrist can be helpful as well.
cal1860
Your doctor is there to address your health concerns, whatever they mabe - physical or mental. It's very wise to get anything you're concerned about checked out. When you have, or think you have, a mental illness it's difficult to have personal insight into your condition. Your doctor will be able to take an objective view and refer you to a specialist if he thinks your concerns warrant a referral. I would suggest making an appointment with your doctor and take a written list or letter setting out why you think you may be schizophrenic. Once you've seen him/her you'll have taken the important step towards a diagnosis or not. Being proactive in addressing concerns about mental illness is very important.
Anonymous
It would be a good idea to tell your doctor. If you think that you have it, then it is a good idea to tell a doctor. If I was in your shoes, I would feel the same way too. Doctors will take into account what you have told them and will tell you what is wrong. I know it can be scary going to talk to a doctor, but once you talk to a doctor you will feel so much better knowing if you are schizophrenic. Even if you don't have it, they can help figure out the problem.
Anonymous
If you take your concerns to a doctor or a psychologist and tell them your symptoms, you'll have to undergo symptom testing and diagnosis. The tests will assess symptoms as they are defined in the Diagnostic and Statistic Manual of Mental illness. If your doctor dismisses you despite symptoms matching the condition then it would be best to go straight to a psychologist or try another doctor. Symptoms include hallucinations including auditory and visual ones, delusional thoughts and beliefs, and periods of low mood and a sense of being blank in your mind. You may not always have these symptoms.
BrianP843
I know that you are afraid. It’s brave of you to be reaching out. If someone you knew were to ask you what they should do, even if they thought it was nothing, what do you tell them? I know it can be hard to trust someone when you open up about some of the things you are feeling, but it is important to seek professional help in mental health situations. If your doctor is a general doctor may refer you to someone who specializes in mental health to get you the best care. You don’t even need to state why, just ask if they can recommend a mental health professional. The first few steps can be the hardest to take, but you’ve taken a great first step just thinking about reaching out.
KennedyRise
A doctor is there not to dismiss your concerns but to evaluate them and get you the help you might need. If you truly are schizophrenic any doctor would welcome the opportunity to assess you and, if validated, begin treating you (or refer you to those who could). It is unlikely a doctor would tell you there's "nothing wrong" if there is, but perhaps it is not schizophrenia, but a different diagnosis. The first step to an accurate diagnosis and a path to treatment is to be evaluated by a doctor and the opportunity to explain your symptoms. There is nothing to fear in doing so. Take the first step.
Anonymous
Professionally qualified doctors are bound by the rules and ethics of their profession to tell everything that a client/ patient should know which includes sharing their diagnosis with the client/ patient. Please feel free to consult one. Your confusion too is understandable; it is normal for people under psychological distress to have feelings of distrust (I would not call it paranoia). [Do not take it as a diagnosis but paranoia is one of the symptoms of schizophrenia]. However, if the doctor feels that sharing the diagnosis in detail will hamper the process of therapy/ recovery, they may give you a rough idea about it. In any case, it would be helpful for you. Hope it helped you.
Anonymous
It's always best to see a professional if you are questioning something like this! They are experienced in working with people who are going through the same feelings you are. They should be able to help you work through these feelings, whether you end up with a diagnosis or not. I understand how nervewracking going to a doctor can be, but they wouldn't lie to you about your condition. If they think you are schizophrenic, they would inform you and work through what that means with you. They are ultimately here to help and to look out for your mental and physical wellbeing!
Anonymous
If you have it your doctors will tell you. A lot of people think they are schizophrenic, a lot of people self diagnose themselves with things. Your doctor has almost certainly seen schizophrenic people before and if they don't see it in you, you most likely don't have it. A lot of people display the same symptoms as schizophrenic people, that's why so many people think they have it. Again, you might have it, I mean there's a chance, but the likelihood that your doctor hasn't already identified it is very slim. Everyone wants to be able to identify what is going on in their brain with a disorder, and everyone probably has a few different disorders that are too minute to identify officially.
Alkahestrain
September 2nd, 2020 3:27am
A doctor will take your symptoms seriously: they may believe you have prodormal rather than full-blown schizophrenia, or they may believe you have a schizoform disorder that does not cause lack of insight into reality, or they may believe that you have schizophrenia with insight. Even if they don't diagnose you with a psychiatric DISORDER you still would have psychiatric SYMPTOMS, which they will take seriously. Even if it is just some weird anxiety it is worth going to a doctor for, because anxiety is a problem of its own. So whatever the ground issue is, your problems will be taken seriously (by a good doctor at least).
lovingands
Hi! Be as honest as possible. No matter what, be as honest as you can. Try to clearly voice any and all concerns you may have to your doctor. And I suggest asking your primary care doctor to refer you to a psychiatrist, if you haven't already. As they are trained to help diagnose disorders such as schizophrenia, and provide support and/or medication. They can catch symptoms and schizophrenic behaviors. Also, try looking into family history if possible. It is not uncommon for schizophrenic to be genetic, so try your best to find out if anyone in your family has had schizophrenia for the purpose of being thorough. If your doctor believes you do not have schizophrenia, do not be afraid to get a second opinion. Hope this helps!