I think I might be schizophrenic, but I'm afraid if I bring my concerns to a doctor, they'll tell me there's nothing wrong even if there is, because I already think I have it. What do I do?

Parvathy Venugopal, MSc in Clinical psychology

Life is chaotic and you need to rest if you're tired. I am here to help you relax until you are ready to start over again.Your mental health is priority, so is your happiness.

Vronica23
I know it can be a little difficult to bring stuff like this up to your doctor, but your doctor is really supposed to be there to help you, not judge you. It's important to be as honest as you possibly can be with your doctor, even if you're a little nervous about what they might say. And if you're not feeling comfortable talking to your doctor, maybe it'll help to find a different doctor that you do feel comfortable talking to. This is a person that has to know you inside and out, it's important to feel like you can trust them. They know this as well, I don't think any professional doctor will ever make you feel bad if you decided to go to someone else. But please, speak up.
Anonymous
Doctors can give you ways on how to help you and support you if you do have schizophrenia. It's best to know for sure than be in the dark about it. They don't just diagnose you, they give you help and ways to help you through this. Don't be afraid to talk them.
sweetSunrise18
I would make an appointment to see your doctor and have a chat. Tell them your feelings and fears. I wouldn't try and self diagnose because you could be mistaken
LetsTacoBoutIt44
The best thing you can do is just to go in to the doctor and be as honest as you can. Don't try to skew your answers to their questions in favor of a certain diagnosis, and if it makes you feel better, tell the doctor about your fears. Ultimately, the goal is to help you manage whatever you're going through, regardless of the diagnosis. If you're just honest with the doctor, it will be much easier for them to help you find the right treatment plan. :)
tjb28
A doctor will assess you and go through some options that may help you and support you. Try to explain the symptoms that you are having in the best way you can.
Anonymous
There is no two ways around it, you just have to try. Start by finding someone you feel comfortable with :)
TheChaoticInfinity
I am sorry to hear that and I hope it is just a thought and not the truth. But, it doesn't hurt to check isn't it ? Unless you are a medical professional yourself, I believe that perhaps it is not right to rush into such a judgement for yourself. I am not saying that they are always right, but it may reduce some weight from your shoulders. Also, I do think that no doctor will take chances with your health, especially if you have what you think you have. So the probability that they'll tell you you don't have it if you really do have it is pretty low. So don't hesitate ... Go visit a doctor.
Ziggy3339
Okay, so you believe you may be schizophrenic. But you’re fear is that IF you express your concerns to a doctor they may say there is nothing wrong with you at all....even if there IS...just because you are already believing you have it, is that right? So you aren’t sure what to do? Go or not go?
Stoot
If you feel that there is something wrong then by that very definition there is something wrong that can and should be treated by a doctor. Your mental health is all about the way that you feel.
positiveLove82
My mother suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and for a long time I had a fear of having it too. It's perfectly normal to fear things. If you have a big concern I would still reach out to a professional to evaluate you. If they turn you away get a second opinion or try therapy. I know therapy helped me a lot when I was terrified of having a mental illness.
Anonymous
Explain the way you are feeling about this to someone you trust, and ask them to help you think of a way to explain it to your doctor. If you're honest with your doctor that you think there might be something wrong, they should be willing to look into it.
politeBlueberry47
Make an appointment with a doctor. If your still in school go talk to a guidance counselor. One thing I learned from personal experience from watching my friend suffer from this disorder is that people are there to help and I guarantee you that you will be heard. They will take you serious. Never be afraid to get help.
softSugar96
I recommend that you log your possible symptoms for about a week. write down when you felt it, how long it lasted and the severity of it. If they continue to persist, see a doctor right away because schizophrenia untreated can become progressively worse.
WhenMusicDoesntHelp
Find a doctor you can trust and try to give them the information, which made you think you might be schizophrenic. They are experts and shouldn't diagnose different if someone realized symptoms by themself.
5thousandmiles
January 31st, 2018 8:58pm
Sometimes doctor's don't listen, it happens sadly. If you feel certain there's something going on, and a doctor doesn't listen, find another doctor who will. There are good doctors out there.
neverendinglife10
If you feel that you are not getting what you feel that you need from a certain doctor then maybe express you concerns to a different doctor.
JenniferFrancklyn
Try seeking more than one opinion. Write down a list of reasons why you think you have it to show your doctor. Bring a trusted friend with you who can help you communicate with your doctor.
Daydreamer7
If you have the symptoms, it is fair to assume that you have something. Whatever it is, only a doctor can diagnose it. See multiple doctor if you have to but don't self medicate yourself.
scintillula
Doctors are there to help you! Maybe you have another condition, one you may not know of. No matter what, they'll listen to your concerns and try to help you as much as possible. If they don't, speak to another doctor!
Anonymous
April 22nd, 2018 5:08am
You must believe in their judgment as health professionals. Most MD's won't be able to directly diagnose that and if you choose, they will probably send you to a specialist to get you evaluated closely.
PeacePrincessNZ
self diagnosing yourself can be the worst thing for you don't stress id highly advise going to see a doctor and if you still feel unsure that his advice is not adequate book in with a phsychology doctor
Anonymous
I understand how you could be feeling nervous about rejection. It's something that so deeply affects your life that you'll feel even more trapped if someone doesn't acknowledge and validate your struggle. I think this is a common worry specifically of people who struggle with mental illness. For no reason should you being open about your struggle ever make a professional say that it wasn't real. I think you should bring it up to your doctor and would also suggest telling a therapist and getting professional insight. Remember that you're not alone here on 7 cups, and your concerns are real. No one should have to go through that confusion alone. Good luck!
JolivetteListens
I can understand how you may be concerned with how a doctor might see you after telling her your suspicions, however, they are there to help. Your concerns are valid and should be shared with a doctor that you trust and respect. While I cannot tell you what to do, I will say that you know yourself better than I do. If you feel concerned, it may be best to share with a health care professional. What do you think about that?
mvpeng
I would say go to a doctor with your symptoms but allow them to diagnose you at first instead of immediately sharing what you think you have. If you can go right to a psychiatrist instead of your PCP you may have more luck. But most doctors do tend to get annoyed when patients are too adamant about their self-diagnoses, but if there is an appropriate time to share what you think you may have, that is fine. Just tread carefully.
Anonymous
Well a professional is always a good option to go to so that you can be checked thoroughly in terms of your mental as well as physical concerns.
AngieWillListen
Please seek professional help! There is nothing wrong with checking on your wellbeing, especially if you believe in your concerns. Better safe than sorry.
Maridas
This is such a sensitive topic! And while i can make suggestions, they may not be right for you. Only you are the expert on you. This is most certainly a thing you need to discuss with your GP. They will refer you to a professional and it will be investigated. This is not something that any medical professional will take lightly as prevention practices are very necessary. If you are indeed schizophrenic, a rigorous recovery plan will be put in place. Dont forget the wise words, "if you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." It reigns true for this as well.
Anonymous
September 2nd, 2018 7:09am
It is very difficult to 'predict' what a new psychiatrist is going to ask or say. They are just people with some special training: doctors who have specialized in Brain Chemistry Disorders, and Behavioral Disorders. A good Psychiatrist would ask you to fill out a questionnaire, or answer questions about your symptoms, just like a regular doctor would. As long as you are honest and give complete answers, you have a good chance of getting good information from a doctor, of any kind. At least that is the attitude that improves one's chances of getting good information from any person, doctor or not.
JHeartFlow
Hi, I understand your concern. You are afraid that a physician will write your concerns off and treat them as trivial. I am a medical student and will graduate and receive my MD at the end of this year, so I can speak from experience when I say that any good, empathetic physician will never write your concerns off as trivial. From my experience on psychiatry rotations, when we have diagnosed someone with a disorder such as "schizophrenia" they use DSM-V criteria which require specific guidelines before someone can be diagnosed, including very technical things. All of these criteria are based on a great deal of evidence-based and case-by-case research. You might not have schizophrenia per se, but you may have other similar conditions such as schizoaffective, schizotypal personality, or another mental health issue that would require the expertise of an experienced doctor to diagnose. Or maybe you are right and do have schizophrenia. However, usually a good psychiatrist will not confirm what your diagnosis is in one visit, due to the complexity of these conditions. In your case, I would strongly advise you to seek the help of a physician. If they tell you there is nothing wrong, you have my full support, a future physician, to change physicians until you find a physician willing to acknowledge your concerns and provide you with the appropriate therapy that may benefit you. Good psychiatrists such as the ones you are looking for exist because I have had first-hand experience with working with them. Best of luck to you :)
avamadueno22
It's not a bad idea to go to a doctor anyway and get a second opinion about it. If they say you have it but it's not at any bad extremes but you feel as though it is or could potentially be, that's when you two can speak of what if's on it. But, you never want to be unsure about things. It's always best to see someone who knows what they're talking out and just verify those, and you have every right to believe them or deny taking any medication or other treatment if offered. But, I do strongly suggest if you can, see someone about it just to make sure you're not missing something you shouldn't have.