Why do I get so emotional over nothing?

Why do I get so emotional over nothing?

Shruti Naik, MS in Counselling and Psychotherapy

I'm passionate about providing a non-judgmental & supportive platform to my clients to help them understand & accept themselves & overcome any emotional issues troubling them.

andylistens
If you're young, it's because there are so many hormones going crazy in your body. Just remind yourself that your feelings are valid.
Anonymous
There could be many different reasons that you can look into. If you have your period, it could be related to that. I know it's weird, but if you are eating the wrong foods, that could be the problem (for example, I have a sugar addiction, and I used to eat sugar every other day (literal refined sugar), and the next day or even later that day I would go through withdrawals, and it also weakened my immune system, and I had the same problem as you.) It really could be a wide variety of reasons, and I think the first step it to make sure that you are taking care of yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Anonymous
December 2nd, 2016 10:21am
As I see it, we are often told that we should "stay strong", "keep our head up", or "keep calm" as if it was something really easy to do. Also we are surrounded by perfectly happy people with no worries. I want you to know that in my opinion feeling emotional over anything is OK, because you are an awesome human being and will sure work trough it. Also remember, if you need help, it´s perfectly okay to ask for it and find people who want to help you.
Blaze
It may seem like "nothing", but your emotions come from somewhere. A specific event that looks like "nothing" might recall a past event or tension and bring old non-managed emotions back. So you are getting emotional over something, and it's useful to find out what it is so you can manage it.
avamadueno22
People get emotional over nothing moments a lot. In fact, I myself do it all the time. I'll work myself up about something that really isn't that big of a deal and after the whole thing is done with I can finally breathe from the whole thing. I'm not sure why we do that sometimes. I guess just any form of change we get a little scared?
CatharticSerenity
Sometimes I think there are biological reasons why we might be more sensitive some times and less other times. Both men and women are hormone factories that are continually changing based on genetic predisposition, our environment and the situations we face. With that being said, I don't think people do get "emotional over nothing" sometimes, an event or trigger that seems small may just be the culmination of multiple things that finally elicit a response. Alternatively, the event which could seem small may likely be linked to something bigger. It is always useful to explore these things when the happen to see which it is. It is never useful to dismiss a feeling as "nothing."
cuddlyBubbles15
Being emotional over nothing is not uncommon nor is it unusual. Sometimes, we get emotional over little things as it may have reminded us of somethings that might have happened to us in the past or it is simply a way for you to let out days of build up frustrations. Many a times this is very helpful.
Anonymous
March 2nd, 2017 11:39pm
Everyone has different thoughts or feelings when it comes to different things. Some things may be nothing to one person, and that same thing can mean a lot to another person. It all comes from different perspectives on things and nobody should be bashed or blamed for getting emotional over nothing because that "nothing" can mean something to someone else.
awesomeSunshine29
It might sound cliche, but you probably are living a phase of your life that makes you more sensitive to things in general. Begin emotional is not a bad thing but try to find a balance between passion/rationality
kindPomegranate27
Because you're not a robot, you're a human being! There could be unresolved issues that your subconscious is trying to deal with and it's coming out in unrelated areas.
tinybeebee
If you are getting emotional, it usually means that there is a cause. And if there is a cause, it means that you are getting emotional over something. Don't discredit yourself and underplay the situation that causes you to feel certain emotions. No matter how insignificant a situation may seem, you have every right to feel the way you feel and react accordingly.
Anonymous
Because it is the little things that count. When stacked together, they can wreck havoc or they can make your entire week perfect.
Anonymous
Sometimes, emotions are weird. While it may feel or seem like nothing is happening, there can be so many reasons for this! Bottling up your emotions, stressful situations, and even hormones can impact how you feel or act.
Anonymous
Well, some people just feel more than others are able to. They are more empathetic and listen better which is a good trait. But sometimes you feel.....Too much. If it begins to affect your life negatively then you should see someone about it.
CallmeTaro77
Maybe it's because you are on a stressful period in your life. That doesn't mean that everything is indeed bad. It's ok to feel like this sometimes. But don't let some bad thoughts take away the best of you.
lajet1628
If you're a teen, hormonal changes can make you have mood swings and because of those, you can feel like you're randomly being emotional without any reason to. In reality, it's just a part of growing up!
Lyfsgood
Well, if you are fine psychologically, then the other reason you might get emotional about 'seamless nothings' could be that you are either missing someone very much, or some incidents trigger this emotion.... Maybe a movie, or just a child crying or laughing, even a picture of something that reminds you of a hurtful incident can suddenly make you emotional. Most probably, deep within, you already know what the cause might be. This could also mean you might have depression, and i say 'might'.... You can't be sure, unless we have more information.
Armanta
This could be due to a variety of factors. Other emotions may be interfering with whatever you are thinking about at the time. Hormones and chemical imbalances could be leading to different perceptions of situations and making you more or less emotional over things you may not usually get emotional about.
Anonymous
It's normal to feel strongly about seemingly little things. Often, they only seem insignificant to our rational selves, but deep down that may actually be much more important.
Anonymous
Usually when little things seem to upset you, you're not actually upset over the little thing. There's probably a bigger problem that's causing you stress and irritability that you may not even realize. Once you realize what that problem is, you can tackle it and eventually you'll notice yourself not getting so upset over the little things, but rather appreciating them.
LetsTacoBoutIt44
I think being really emotional just means you really care. It's OK to have strong feelings about little things, however, when those emotionals get to a point where they're making it hard for you to carry on in a normal life, it might mean it's time to think about learning how to control your emotions better. Self talk has been the most powerful thing for me. I learned a lot of important self talk skills in therapy--not recommending you go to therapy, but I have found it to be immensely helpful. :)
ElephantTiger1
Being emotional isn't always a bad thing, expressing your emotions could mean that you are an open person and that you care and have a big heart. Being excessively emotional can also be in response to a trigger from your past, this could be something that happened when you were younger you may not even remember it. You are courageous for coming here, good luck with your future and remember that there are always people here for you, you are never alone!
Anonymous
There are so many reasons to that but mainly it comes down to environmental, biological and personal factors, most importantly you should know that its fine to be emotional and to work through your feelings in a way that suits you.
MsEdna
Everyone has off days. You may find yourself giving hostile, clipped answers to simple questions. Or you may find yourself on the verge of tears for no discernible reason. (There’s always a reason, even if you aren’t currently aware.) It’s important to be in tune with your body, not just physically but emotionally as well. This is referred to as “emotional intelligence.” It’s good to understand what you’re feeling — and why — in order to manage your emotions. It can be due to stress, lack of sleep, poor eating habits, hormonal imbalance, or depression.
pseudotsuga
First off, it might not be "nothing". Very rarely in modern life is there literally nothing at all going on -- even just sitting on the couch and thinking counts as doing something. Usually a change in mood is triggered by some change in your thoughts and surroundings, though it isn't always obvious exactly what happened at first. The state that your body is in can have a huge impact on how you respond to ordinary events, as well. Have you noticed how you might get more irritable when you're tired or hungry? Subtler factors, like whether you're well hydrated or when you last exercised or what your hormones are doing or even whether you've spent some time outdoors recently, can also cause you to respond differently to the same stimulus at different times. By keeping a journal or chatting with a listener about times you're surprised that you got more emotional than you expected, you can figure out whether there are some factors in your life that change how emotional you get, or find a way to get more help if you'd like to.
Meowgic9792
What others deem as nothing may not be so trivial to you. Remember that any little issue that means something to you still matters. What you feel is most important as it affects u.
20RA
Sometimes bottled up emotions make the smaller things seem larger. I know that I have let things add on top of each other and then cry when something comes up and pushes my stability over. People also react to situations differently.
kindWaterfall10
Usually, it's not nothing. The issue you're getting emotional about might be tiny and it might seem unimportant, but if I'm getting emotional about "nothing", it's because I have other, important issues that I'm supressing, and the tiny issue might just be the tipping point for me. That or you just might be emotional, which isn't a bad thing!
saiforeveryone123
Getting emotional is not at all a bad thing.you get emotional because may be you care a bit more.😊.
InSync
Because emotions are free and they reflect a part of you that wants to be heard. Acknowledge them but don't let them government you.