How long does a panic attack last?

Jamie Rautenberg, LCSW

I'm passionate about helping clients understand emotional experiences & mental chatter do not define who they are. I'm here to guide them through the fog back to themselves.

Anonymous
it depends on the person, but I've had some that last between 5mins to even maybe 30mins. they usually included difficulty breathing, crying/overwhelmed feeling, and shaking hands/body
MadilynRose
Panic attacks can range in duration, depending on the person. Some may only last a few minutes, when others can last hours.
Anonymous
It depends on the person and situation but it generally lasts around 5 minutes I think. Though I'm not quite sure.
Anonymous
It really depends on what situation you are facing. It averagely lasts for 2-4minutes. Breathing through it in a constant pace makes it go away faster ( based on my experience ). Stay happy as always!
CaringisSharing
Panic attacks come on abruptly.They generally reach the peak within 10 minutes but the effects can last for up to half an hour
brightHorizon87
Not very long, 2-5 minutes, but it does however trigger a whole chain of reactions both physically and mentally like an elevated heart, tingling feeling in hands and legs, sweating, dizziness, irregular breathing and an increased sensitivity as to what might be wrong with my body, or how others will perceive how I am reacting right now.
Openminded
About 30 minutes. We think that the panic attack doesn't stop but after 30 minutes is our fear that control us.
Anonymous
In general, a panic attack should only last about three minutes in total. A lot of people express that when they know it will end in a short period of time, it makes it less stressful.
Anonymous
Panic attacks last minutes at most, generally topping out at around ten minutes or so. Some people require time after a panic attack to calm down and collect themselves though, so it's hard to give an answer that applies to everybody.
candy37
it depends on the situation that the person is in at that particular time . The peak of a panic attack is usually 20 minutes
Anonymous
More than a minute, less than an hour. It can depend, based on the person. Just remember that it WILL end. You can get through it.
Anonymous
A panic attack lasts at least 30 Minutes, but when it is really bad it can actually even be a few hours long.
BooksandTea21
Even though a panic attack can feel like it lasts forever, in actuality it's less than fifteen minutes. A great way to help ease your mind when having a panic attack is to set a stopwatch. Start the time when you begin having the panic attack, and stop when you begin to feel better again. Doing this provides you with evidence you can use for next time to help combat catastrophic thinking.
JustLiveAndLetLive
Panic attacks are of varying degrees. Some can last a fairly short time... others, which last longer, can make you tingling in the feet and hands, even in the face. If it gets to a point like that, medical attention may be best. The best think you can do is try to recognize it before it gets to a very difficult point.
PoeticWhisperer13
It depends on who you are, it can last a few minutes to more than an hour. Remember to breath. And try to slow your breath and mind.
MostColorfulHello
Panic attacks vary in time length, depending on how severe they are. You can really shorten them by taking deep breaths, forcing yourself to identify and connect with your surroundings, and listening to peaceful music. TAKE CONTROL of the panic attack by having a plan in place for when they arise. Hope this helps ♥
Feliapost522
It always depends on the person... Some people's lasts for a few mins and some other's lasts for hours..
Anonymous
Typically panic can only last a few minutes. Than It dies down but panic can lead to another panic a attack shortly after. Sometimes the after affect of panic can make you feel like it I still happening.
towardaquietmind
Although panic attacks can start suddenly they usually reach their most intense within 10 minutes. It then takes another 10 to 20 minutes for them to subside. The body needs time to recover and return to its 'window of tolerance'. An entire panic attack is usually over within an hour.
Anonymous
It depends on the person. For some it can last a few minutes, others have it for a few hours. It really depends on how it plays out.
Kaelasykes
Times vary it could be a few minutes to 1 hour. From personal experiences, it can depend on how worked up you are.
Anonymous
Something between 5 and 10 minutes. sometimes only a few seconds until I catch myself again but it's differently every time I have an attack
frothySmiles42
panic attack can last any where between a few minutes to couple of hours depending on situation your in and how badly it can affect you as well
KKGunner
For most people, about half an hour. I had really bad panic attacks that lasted for an hour, but rarely longer.
Anonymous
From my personal experience, I start getting anxious and a bad feeling in my stomach that builds up. Around 10 to 15 minutes is when I reach my peak. Lasts up to 30-35 minutes. Im usually able to calm myself down during the build up though.
SandyM
The peak of a panic attack is usually 10 minutes, mainly averaging 25 minutes as your body gets exhausted. Anything longer than 40 minutes is quite unusual
ImHere01
Hey, speaking of this with a specialist, panic attacks are not a joke. Besides you would do well to inform you that
AcornCactus
They can be anywhere from a couple of minutes to even an hour at the worst, depending on how fast you are able to calm yourself down/extremity of situation. Having someone there to help calm you down may also help
Anonymous
As long as your thinking of all that's going on it won't stop, you have to take deep breaths, think what makes you do this, and count backwards from ten, and it will stop. Even drink water, it even helps.
SoulfullAshley
It really depends. Mine have only lasted for a few minutes. I feel like it varies on how long it takes for you to get help or calm yourself down.