How long does a panic attack last?

Angela Serritella, LCSW , CADC

Mental Health is a journey of learning to understand yourself, thoughts, and emotions. I feel that this is a journey that is best taken with support.

Anonymous
A panic attack can last from 5-10 minutes. However, there might be certain cases with waves for up to 2 hours too. Depends from one person to another.
Courage
As long as it wants to... How long can I last? Longer. And I'm stronger with each one. :) They always end, but my job is to just hold on and take the best care of myself that I can in the moment.
Anonymous
I've had panic attacks for up to 4 hours. Ended up in the emergency room and passed out three times in one night because of it.
DapperRainbow
From my experience, a panic attack can last from a few minutes to hours, but the effects can last for days, and even come back in flashing moments of vulnerability. It's important to try and remain calm and ground yourself, focusing on the facts and trying not to focus on anything that could be manipulated by emotions. Breathing is important. These variables can help shorten the length of a panic attack.
IdkMeg
My panic attacks may last for 30 minutes, or they may even last for a whole week. It depends on what I'm panicked about. It may even last longer than a week, until the cause of the attack (like a test, or meeting someone who intimidates me) is over.
Bethennie
Panic attacks can really vary in time length, depending on how severe they are. You can really shorten them by taking deep breaths, forcing yourself to identify and connect with your surroundings, and listening to peaceful music.
Anonymous
it depends for the person and on the type of panic attack. i have had ones that lasted for hours and ones that have lasted for minutes
Anonymous
A panic attack can vary in length, and also in the way it is experienced. The good news is, in my opinion, that panic attacks, while undeniably uncomfortable, always pass. Every person deserves support when facing the challenge of panic attacks.
LindseyWillHelp
Well, I'm not an expert on this stuff, so I wouldn't take what I say to heart, but I'm pretty sure they don't have a specific span of time that they last
Savana13
It depends on the person, but usually it lasts 5-10 minutes, but it can come in waves for up to two hours.
SmileYoureBeautiful
The length of a panic attack differentiates from person to person, but usually don't last longer than 12 minutes.
Lillyviolet
Panic attacks sometimes last minutes and sometimes last hours. It is a horrible thing to go through.
Anonymous
Generally speaking, the climax of a panic attack is no longer than ten minutes- but the full process can be up to an hour.
RaleighC
Panic attacks last minutes at most, generally topping out at around ten minutes or so. Some people require time after a panic attack to calm down and collect themselves though, so it's hard to give an answer that applies to everybody.
melissasue3579
it can average, different people have longer or shorter panic attacks. what your panicking also has an affect on the time period.
remnantshadow
Panic attacks can last anywhere from a few seconds (mini attacks) to hours and come with any variety of symptoms from feeling slightly numb with pins and needles feeling to a full blown panic and the feelings of loosing your mind or thinking you're having a heart attack.
starryRiver83
Panic attacks can last anything from a few minutes, to an hour... the after effects of a panic attack may last even longer.
MissEpiphanyy
The duration of panic attacks usually depends on the person and what triggered it. If someone has multiple triggers and one of the more severe ones triggers the attack then the attack can last longer, another factor is the environments and if the tools needed to calm the person down are easily accessible or not. It all depends on the person.
Anonymous
It honestly can depend on the situation. Panic attacks are individualized issues that don't always follow an exact system.
Dailydaydreama
Panic attacks can last longer for different people and situations there is no set time for how long each person will be effected by a panic attack
Dovah
Typically a panic attack develops extremely quickly and usually reach their peak within 10 minutes, Most panic attacks end within 20 to 30 minutes, It'll adjust from person to person, but they won't usually last more than an hour (although you may feel very tired after) ! ^_^
KellyCanary
There is no specific length of time that a panic attack can last. It is a very wide range. I guess the average is about half an hour, but it could be 5 minutes or 2 hours as well.
Girlsjustwannahavefun
Like the life is being sucked out of you and you cannot find any air. It is a very scary experience and I don't wish them upon anyone
OpenHeart
Personally I have had panic attacks last one to two hours. But when able to stop them sometimes i can get it under control within 5-10 minutes, that's only if i catch it soon enough.
CrimsonRising
For me, a panic attack can last anywhere between 1 - 20 minutes. On average, though, I would say they last around 5 minutes.
Anonymous
It depends! For most people, it's pretty short, but again, it really depends of the individual. Mine are usually rather short
Anonymous
As long as you let it! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anonymous
A Panic attack can last anywhere from 30 seconds to all day. Depending on the circumstances of the person(s) involved and the coping skills thereof. Each individual is different in the symptoms they suffer. Ranging from a simple biting of fingernails to full blown "fits of uncontrolled emotions". Each person deals with their attacks differently. At best, you isolate the problem, irradiate the triggers, and try to keep the person as calm as possible under the current circumstances involved.
kt60051
Panic attacks don't usually last long. The problem can be that you then anticipate the next one with a feeling of dread. Coming up with methods for coping is key to getting a handle on panic attacks.
Gracey
Panic attacks are different for everyone and can last for different amounts of time depending on the situation, the individual and whether they are able to get their breathing back on track. For example if i have one during something like a blood test i can be okay after 20 minutes or so, but often it can be at least over an hour.