Does using acid to burn yourself count as self-harm?

Kelly Horton, PsyD

Sometimes life can feel overwhelming due to depression or anxiety. I work with my clients in a nonjudgmental, supportive, way to find their voice and reclaim their lives.

Anonymous
Yes totally. It's just another way or method to hurt yourself. It harms your body - just like cutting.
Anonymous
Yes. Anything that you do, including burning, cutting, scratching, biting, pinching, or other, that you do to hurt yourself is considered self-harm. Please speak to a listener if you are considering harming yourself!
Anonymous
The short answer here is yes. Anything that you do or use to injure or mutilate your body is self-harm. Strong acids would, without a doubt, damage your body tissue, so if you intend to use it for such purpose then yes. Since you are asking this question, I'm assuming you self-harm. This is a very serious issue and I would recommend talking to someone you trust about it or seek professional help. I could only imagine what trauma or issues you are going through that is causing you to self-harm. Always remember that you are not alone and their are people and resources out there that would help you.
Anonymous
In clinical psychology, an act is considered self-harm if (a) the person deliberately inflicts tissue damage to his/her own body, and (b) the action is used as a coping mechanism to regulate either negative intrapersonal (anger, dysphoria, feelings of numbness or dissociation, etc.) or interpersonal experiences (seeking attention or comfort, or trying to keep others at a distance). Under this definition, many acts can be considered self-harm, not simply cutting or scratching until blood is drawn, but also scratches that simply leave a mark, pinching, hitting, burning, etc. It's not as much about what you do but why you do it, that will define whether the behaviour is self-harm (referred to as "non-suicidal self-injury" in clinical and research settings).
Anonymous
Yes, using acid to burn yourself does count as self-harm. Any act that is intended to cause harm or injury to yourself is considered self-harm.
Anonymous
If you are doing something to yourself that will harm your body on purpose, then yes it is considered self harm.
Anonymous
Yes, doing anything to hurt yourself counts as self harm, cutting is not the only form of self harm.
elishevacares
Yes. I think any acts of hurting your body can be counted as self-harm. If any of you feel to do so, please consider seeing a therapist/trained mental help professional/other professional for help.
niamh333
June 22nd, 2016 9:45am
By it's very definition, yes. There are lots of different ways people self-harm, it's not just cutting, Anything that a person does to cause harm to their own body, or to inflict pain, is a self harming behaviour.
delicatePomegranate33
Any attempt to harm yourself in any way counts as self-harm, this includes hitting yourself, burning yourself, cutting yourself, pulling your hair out, etc.
lina713
Yes, of course it does. Self harm is defined as deliberate injury to yourself, regardless of how small. Self-harm may not be right, but deliberately using acid to burn yourself is a form of it.
Anonymous
yes it does because you are harming yourself, and it isnt healthy so no body should do it and should avoid it at all times.
Anonymous
Yes, it does count as self-harm because you're trying to hurt yourself. Acid can burn you severely and once you do it, you can't take it back. Don't do it.
Anonymous
Absolutely - going out of your way to cause harm to yourself (whether it is successful or not) is considered self-harm. If you have the intent to harm yourself, it is considered self-harm
Anonymous
Self-harm is harming yourself in any way with the intention to do harm. So yes, burning with acid is self-harm.
StillForest19
Using acid to burn yourself does count as self-harm. If you intentionally do something in order to hurt yourself is considered self-harm. Great question!
Anonymous
Yes, and using acid to burn yourself is a serious form of self-harm, at that. Any form of deliberately hurting yourself is self-harm / self-injury.
ListeningLight
Yes, intentionally hurting yourself in any way counts as self-harm. Even if the method is less commonly used, if the intention of doing something is to hurt yourself, that is what I would classify it as.
Aleespli21
Yes, this does count as self harm and I would not suggest doing it. If you ever have the feeling of wanting to do this, you should seek help immediately.
HopieRemi
Yes. Self-harm includes anything that causes harm to yourself, therefore burning yourself with acid definitely counts.
Anonymous
If it's hurting you and you are doing it it's self harm no matter what it is so yes my dear burning yourself with acid is self harm
comfortingCandy91
Yes, if you are harming yourself with the intention to hurt yourself, then it counts as self harm. Self harm is a way people cope with things although it is not the best way to deal with things, I've been there too, please try to stay as safe as you can
Anonymous
Yes. Any way of purposely hurting yourself is self-harm, should not be done, and 911 and suicide.org seriously must be called. A therapist, doctor, and family's support is very important.
Anonymous
YES! If you intentionally use almost any object of any sort to harm yourself, its self harm. Call 810-855-4673 for the self harm hotline!
peacefulTurtle94
I would definitely say so yes, using anything to harm yourself is self harm, it doesn't just have to be cutting, mine used to range from cutting to burning myself, so yeah it counts. Seek some help x
Flawlessinsanity21
Yes that is a form of self-harm. The self harm definition is; Nonsuicidal self-injury, often simply called self-injury, is the act of deliberately harming the surface of your own body, such as cutting or burning yourself. It's typically not meant as a suicide attempt. Rather, this type of self-injury is an unhealthy way to cope with emotional pain, intense anger and frustration.
sempiternaldreams
Yes, any kind of damage you do to your body such as burning yourself, cutting or other types are still self harm.
TaranWanderer
Any act that is done with the intentional purpose to cause harm to yourself is qualified as self-harm. Self-harm comes in many forms, such burns, hitting, starving, cutting, pinching, or any other method.
keara423
Anything harmful being used intentionally by you against yourself is self-harm. I used to beat myself with my own belt and pinch my whole hand until it bled and ached. Self-harm is any number of things you do to harm yourself. Even hitting your head on your desk in school is a form of self-harm.
Anonymous
Anything that is intentionally done to harm your self can be a form of self-harm, even if not 'traditionally' viewed so