Is it okay to avoid situations that make me anxious, or is that giving up to it?

Greece

Johanna Liasides, MSc

I work with youth and young adults to help them improve depressive symptoms and self-esteem as well as effectively address family, relationship and peer conflicts.

Anonymous
Many times I have tried to avoid situations that make me anxious such as public speaking or going to a get-together and I don't believe that it is giving up. However, every single time I have done so, I have regretted it.
Khadija
It is okay to avoid situations that make you anxious; it doesn't mean you're giving up. If a situation makes you uncomfortable in any way, it's 100% okay to back away from it unless you feel comfortable enough to face it head-on.
Anonymous
Always do what makes you feel most comfortable. Anxiety is a poisonous thing. If you can safely avoid feeling anxious, do it.
Anonymous
Being anxious is nothing to be ashamed of. Avoiding a situation because you feel anxious isn't giving up, it's just you feeling like your not up to the task. I would try again and work through the situation next time it arises. Make a process that helps you through things that make you anxious. For example, on my way to work the is a long dark alley that makes me anxious, when I start to feel like I can't walk down it I stop, take a deep breath and look straight ahead. Then I take a step and breath out. I focus on my breathing and keep walking. Before I know it I'm at the end of the alley. It will take time to stop feeling anxious about situations, take your time and don't force yourself.
Mitternachtskind
Wanting to avoid those situations is a normal response, but definitely not a good decision. If you avoid situations that make you anxious, it will become more situations and more situations that you'll avoid, and by avoiding all those situations your anxiety will get worse and worse. It's hard, but the only way to get better is to get into the situations you fear the most and to really feel the stress and anxiety, so next time it will be a little less fear, and next time a little less fear and one day you won't have such a big problem with doing it. Sure you shouldn't start with the thing you're most afraid of, but kind of get higher and higher, surviving the situations of fear is the only way to overcome it. (It's called exposition)
Matt1029
It is okay to avoid situations that make you anxious. If you do not feel comfortable in that situation then you shouldn't have to. You are you, when you are ready you will know. Take it one day at a time.
Anonymous
It is okay to avoid the situations that makes you anxious. Avoiding it and giving up is different. Avoiding it makes you worry-free. Giving up makes you more worried
Anonymous
February 23rd, 2017 11:22pm
I think if you aren't ready to deal with those situations and putting yourself into them will do you more harm than good then I feel it is perfectly okay to avoid them. What's important is not giving yourself a hard time whatever you decide.
ingeniousPeace79
focus should be on purpose, and trust in universe that it is transporting you there don't lose yourself into these story lines i was lost in them not knowing how to see them and finding out they were actually tools to distract myself from my actual life the most important is the purpose yes, universe chooses some perfect path, which can bring anxiousness but trust solves the situation put the pressure on universe's shoulders, like: "ok, universe, you solve it now, i want to go there, if this current situation is the right path, ok, I accepted, I cooperate, but If it's not right, and it's just some issue of mine, then i trust you will help me" something like that :D for me it works everytime not only it relieves the pressure but also brings clarity, and those strange coincidences, that pop up from nowhere
Anonymous
It is understandable that you want to avoid situations that make you anxious. Especially if highly distressing it is easiest to seek escape. It is ok sometimes, it is important not to be too harsh on oneself. However, sometimes it is good to face one's fears. That being said, it depends on the situation and the degree of anxiety. seeking professional help may be more appropriate when anxiety levels are worryingly high.
Anonymous
March 23rd, 2017 5:05am
Personally, I think it's okay to opt out of certain situations depending on the day. I don't think you would want to throw yourself into a situation that would cause more stress and anxiety, on a bad day. However, I still think that you should warm up to the idea of facing these situations! I like to take baby steps, in order to accomplish mini goals! I feel like this way is encouraging and helps you warm up to a daunting goal!
Mushu74
Of course, I do that. But I've tried pushing myself as I missed out on a lot of things that could've been fun. At the time where you feel anxious, it sounds like the worst idea in the world but if you try and push yourself out of your comfort zone you may realise it's not actually that bad and actually, you're enjoying yourself! But yes, sometimes if things make you anxious then avoid, sometimes it's too much.
TranquilityQueen
I personally think that you should attempt to face anxious situations as often as possible. It's not fun, but it will show you that the situation you're scared of isn't really that scary! I've tried this method in the past and it works a lot better than other things I tried.
hopefulPower94
It is completely understandable that you'd want to avoid situations that make you anxious and uncomfortable. No one wants to feel like that! When we avoid what makes us nervous however, our fears of those situations can grow and become more intense. Facing those situations is not easy, but it will get better. Being able to cope with the anxiety is freeing and can make us feel proud. I would challenge you to look into some anxiety coping skills and test them out. You can do this. Anxiety does not have to hold you back. Here is a link to my favorite YouTuber giving some tips and tricks. All the best to you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GgsV2nKL9w
Kittencat
I think that it is okay to avoid triggering situations. There does however become a point where it might interfer with your life. It's healthy to reduce stress in life but when anxiety interferes with your daily routine, it might be time to consider getting some help. It all depends on your comfort level
IrenePeace
Anxiety is a normal human experience. However, avoidance behavior is often what causes one's anxiety to become even more crippling. When you avoid something that causes you to feel anxious, you will likely experience a sense of relief and your anxiety will go down in the short-term, reinforcing that in order to feel better you must stay away from the anxiety-provoking stimulus. In reality, this only heightens your sense of anxiety surrounding that stimulus over the long run.
imbrandybuck
Your comfort and happiness should always be prioritised. Exposing yourself to these situations however may help your anxiety in the long run as your mind will get used to the experience, however it is not always good to push yourself out of your comfort zone all the time. We all need rest and to take care of our minds. When you are ready, you will be more equipped to take on these challenges, however do not beat yourself up if you must avoid them. If you make it through the day then you have not given up!
Anonymous
It is always best to avoid situation that makes you anxious unless you know how to handle it. First avoid, then slowly expose yourselves to that situation and train your mind to go through the situation and teach yourself what kind of outcome you want if the situation is really unavoidable. You may fail and get anxious but keep trying you will get through it .
AdamRN7
It is okay to avoid situations that make you anxious. There is nothing wrong with that. However, it is more important to identify why a certain situation makes you anxious and how you can deal with it differently. This is easier said than done, of course. However, there is nothing wrong with avoiding certain situations, this should not be considered cowardly.
HeyoSarah
It's totally okay to avoid any situation that causes you great anxiety. In my mind, the only way to 'give up to it', is to avoid things you know you'll enjoy in fear that you might get anxiety. If from the beginning you know it would cause you less stress to just not go, it's totally okay. Do whatever you need to be mentally healthy.
ThatGuyMartin
Avoiding something that you know you're not ready for is a natural reaction. You won't be able to fully manage it until you're mentally prepared; you could always take small steps towards the main goal, until eventually you may feel that (with the help of friends, family or CBT) you can bear the thought of trying it out
Anonymous
It's totally OK to avoid situations that make you anxious. Ideally, noone wants to give up but sometimes it is OK to take occasional breaks. Take 1 step at a time.
Laura98
It's not giving up, it just means that you need a break from the emotion that this anxiety is giving you! But avoiding is never the right choice. Confrontation is important, and even if it means hard work and takes some time it is the only way to learn not to be anxious about specific things anymore!
Anonymous
Avoiding situations that make you anxious is actually quite normal. Avoiding triggers for anxiety is something people with anxiety do on a regular basis in my observations, but if your triggers are unavoidable then maybe you should consider seeking professional help to figure out how to deal with the situations that give you anxiety in an appropriate way that doesn't involve avoiding them.
Anonymous
You should take care of yourself. If you're not ready for that situation, then that's fine. However, you should try and push yourself a little each day. You don't want anxiety to control your life and prevent you from doing things you want or need to do. Trying to overcome a little every day is a good way to start. But you can still take a break, rest, and take care of yourself.
Anonymous
If something causes you genuine distress it is okay to step back from those situations when you need it. It doesn't mean that you have given up, it just shows that you know your limits.
Anonymous
It's okay to avoid situations that make you anxious. If your in a situation where you don't feel comfortable then you don't have to be there
mvpeng
It depends what kind of situations you mean. If they are situations that you do not at all need to put yourself in to live a fulfilled and healthy life, then it probably doesn't matter. But if it includes situations like going to the grocery store and things like that, then those are situations you need to confront.
Anonymous
It depends on the situation. You shouldn't avoid situations that are going to get you further in life and that are making a positive impact on your life. For example, not talking to your teachers about your school work is something that you definitely should not avoid. Avoiding talking to someone because they make a negative impact on you is appropriate and is the best thing to do. If you ever need help with determining whether or not a specific situation is okay to avoid, our listeners are always here!
angeladanae20
I think it's okay to avoid that kind of situations but in one way or another, eventually, we will see in the need to face them, So, even if we want to avoid them, we're going to be in the necessity of face them. I think it is ok, but you can't run away from them always. And the best way to get over them, is facing them. It's always your choice.