What can I do to calm myself down?

Polly Letsch, LCSW

I provide non-judgmental, person-centered, objective therapeutic treatment for individuals of all ages to improve social, emotional, mental and other areas of functioning.

positiveWhisper24
Breathe. Check out this amazing guide for anxiety by 7 cups: http://www.7cups.com/anxiety-help/ There's a part in there that talks about diaphragmatic breathing. THIS WORKS. It helps. It's going to be okay. You will get through this. Take a slow deep breath into you stomach. Hold it for a second. Then just lightly let it go. You will be okay.
FlowerInDisguise19
Take a deep breath, relax, count to 10 and close your eyes and think positive thoughts. This will help if you need to calm down in a situation.
blanket7
You can try coloring, being with friends, family and pets, sleeping, watching something funny, reading and meditation.
Geveda
Take deep breaths, do something relaxing. When you're not in a position to completely change what it is that you're doing, then find little distractions to think about instead. Like the good things that have happened that day or previously, or even just thinking about little songs that cheer you up or something. Just to get you through that current moment of stress or nervousness.
OptimisticOmega
Read a good book, write a story, have a relaxing bubble bath, watch youtube videos, drink a cup of tea/hot chocolate, surround yourself with people, and deep breaths. (:
VioletFlame
The common remedy of counting to ten really does work, though some upsets might find me counting as high as 50 or 75! The point is to put some distance between yourself and the uncalming event or thoughts. Creating literal distance is best in some instances, walking away to compose oneself/regroup (even if you merely visit the lavatory. Actually, the sound of running water can be calming and as warmth is soothing, running warm water over your hands while you're in there provides an added calmative.) In a spot where you can't just walk away? Turn your attention inward and tske about 20 deep breaths to center yourself. /__\
mad22
First of all Just seat down and take deep breath. It seems you are very frustrated. I can understand what you are feeling. You are strong enough to fight these small problem. Don't worry we are with you. You have to refer any professional help or refer 7CupOfTeas guide.
FindYourLostHorizon
The quickest way to calm yourself down is to focus your attention as much as you can on what is happening around and within you right now in the present moment you are experiencing. Try to focus on your body, the sensations you feel in your muscles, your lungs, your heart. The subtle sensations we take for granted every day. Try to watch your breath, but without trying to control it. See if you can witness yourself breathing without consciously breathing in and out yourself. The breath is automatic, but to be able to witness it really takes the mind away from stress and into a feeling of calm.
alwaystherex
To calm yourself down get really nice up beat or sad music and ly down on your bed and listen to it
jenstar78
I calm myself down in different way. Going swimming, drinking cool water, playing a game on my phone or tablet, or chatting with a listener here on 7 Cups.
Heavenlyhorizons
Breathe! Think of happy thoughts, do something that makes you happy and if you want to... perhaps drink some tea. Also most importantly smile :) Soon enough you should feel calm.
martinko
Relaxing and do diapraghmatic breating.
SoftBlanket40
Try to control your breathing as much as you can, isolate yourself from whatever stress or distraction that may be around you, and clear you head from all the negative thoughts, keep yourself focused on one thing: No situation lasts forever, everything will be okay, even the worst things come to an end.
Anonymous
Breath deeply, count to 10, write down how you feel. Scream in a pillow. Do so exercise, all these things can help calm you down, keeping your mind active is a very good way to stay calm.
Yahaans
It might depend on your certain situation. Maybe finding free time to enjoy life can help or try to focus on peaceful thoughts like thinking about the good times in your life. Eating and drinking certain foods and drinks might help. Or if it's a big problem, then maybe make a list of things you can do to both relax and reduce certain problems you may be having. Everyone might have a different way, try to think of a way that you think will clam you down.
lecorpsecake
Breathing and distracting myself. I just do the things that I like, just as watching movies or reading a book.
dancingTurtle59
take deep breaths think of i time i was at peace or happy even if it is a childhood memory know that i have the strenth to b in control of my own emotions
lilscotsangel
Think positive thoughts and do what you enjoy. I find listening to music, walks and poetry are a great help
Anonymous
Drink cool water. Close your eyes, take a deep breath. concentrate on your breathing for a few minutes.
Anonymous
Breath deeply. In for five counts, hold for three, out for five counts, wait for three. Repeat. Continue as long as necessary.
Anghangin12
Stress ball, drawing, writing, singing, listening to music, screaming, and last of all CRYING I do.
brightOcean69
sit down and take a deep breath close your eyes and count to ten listen to your breathing and listen to your heart beat this should help you calm down
colourfulUnicorns83
Practice breathing exercises. Tell yourself that this will pass or that this is anxiety and i will be okay.
SarahLove
Just count to ten and breathe. Tell yourself you are calm. If you need a good cry, just let it pour. You'll feel much better afterwards.
HuddlesWillAlwaysListen
There are some coping skills to calm yourself down. As for one that I use a lot: I like to pretend there are lemons in my hands and squeeze them as hard as I can with my eyes closed and taking a deep breath at the same time. It usually can help, but it's different with everyone.
CarefreeSoul
Bring your focus to something else, whether that be your breath, something you can see/hear around you, the texture of something you can touch. Go for a walk or a run, let go of everything you're thinking about.
Toby1996
Try Meditation. Meditating helps you develop awareness. It's not supposed to calm you down, but I always feel calm after meditating.
Angelsupporter9
Do breathing exercises, listen to music loud, read a book, go for a walk, dance, meditate, sing. Or play some instrument if you can :)
SilvariAetherheart
Meditation. Its awkwards at frist. but once you start to learn to focus on your breathing it get so much easier to just calm yourself
Anonymous
Focus on your breathing, give yourself time to relax. Try calming music if needed to help distract and let your mind relax.