What if I am not good at what I love to do?

Mexico

Paola Giordani, Psychoanalyst

Licensed Psychoanalyst

I have helped and am helping people cope with loss, divorce, anguish and parenting. Depression is also a major issue that comes up.

CosmicCubes
March 23rd, 2016 5:08pm
Pursue what makes you happy no matter how good you are at it, because at the end of the day what matters is that it does make you happy, not that you'd have to be good at it. You can always get better, after all.
WhenYouSmile
All I can say is if you enjoy doing it, it shouldn't matter what people think. Also, practice definitely makes perfect! x
SavingKassie96
March 23rd, 2016 2:00am
Do it anyways! If you love to do it, then that is all that matters. If it makes you happy, then do it.
PhoenixFoxTail
Keep at it! Practice makes perfect, you have to start somewhere! If you keep practicing at whatever it is you love, you will see the results!
healingWaterfall75
Sometimes loving what we do is not enough to be good at it. However, this doesn't mean we can't get better. If you love something, keep trying, keep doing it, and you will improve little by little.
Anonymous
March 23rd, 2016 11:16am
keep doing it. it doesn't matter if you're good at it or not, just as long as it makes you happy, that's what matters.
Anonymous
I believe we all have these doubts or self perceptions that we might not be so good or successful in what we love to do. sometimes it's okay to feel like this, as there's always room to improve and stay inspired to keep on creating, other times it can get the best of us. you're not alone. plenty of people high in what they love to do, face this regularly it's a matter of fact. sometimes interests change or shift, you become unmotivated or uninspired or there can be many other factors. if you believe you are unmotivated or could do better and want to continue within what you are doing, there are plenty strategies you could try to keep on task and further your abilities within it. in short, one thing i would say is never give up. regardless of talent or another factor within a task, if you love it or want to learn more about it.. keep going. there is so much potential within us and our minds. we are endlessly evolving and intelligent, creative beings. you can do it
Popsicle1990
what is the definition of good? I work with people all the time and enjoy it but i wouldnt say i am a the best at all times. Passion and dedication can outweigh academic ability or some of the skills needed, and naturally we progress and learn through time. Stick with what feels right and the GOOD will follow.
mroa
It does not matter. You're doing something that you love, something that makes you happy, and that's enough. Even if you are not good, you'll eventually get better with practice.
Anonymous
Then you keep practicing. If you love what you do, you can always get better. You gotta start somewhere, you will be good one day.
DrumBhudda
Practice makes perfect. With patience and determination you can reach new levels of talent that you had not though possible. Problem is that few are willing to wait that long to get to that level. Be practical and learn as much as you can. Most of all, remember that it's not about being the best as much as it is about being better than you were yesterday.
Lespoir
One of the reasons we love to do certain things doesn't necessarily have to be because we are the best at it. Instead, it may be because it brings us joy and great pleasure, which in turns keeps us coming back to it...and, as it is popularly known, practice makes perfect. You've got the motivation for it. You've got the love for it. Now what are you comparing your skills to that is making you feel that you are not good at what you love? The goal is to be better than the "you" you were yesterday. With motivation and love, you are already doing great because you've got the passion. Keep it up. Overtime you'll grow better and more confident in yourself and achieve great things.
brianna0217
You don't have to be good to love something. As long as you love it, that's all that matters. Keep enjoying what you like to do.
peacefulNight35
Keep practicing. Don't give up. No one starts out perfect I promise. You are not worth less because you can't do it and it doesn't undermine how much you love the thing. Keep at it.
ShinyAegislash
That's actually a confusing question, almost like a paradox. But, I can understand where you're coming from. I'd say, instead of worrying about whether you're good or not, how about taking the time to enjoy what you love to do. In the end others don't decide whether you're good at what you love to do, you're the one who decides.
Anonymous
I think the most important part of this is that you've found something you love to do. If there's something you truly enjoy doing; it shouldn't matter how well you do it, just that you do it and enjoy it! :)
smileitswhit
practice makes perfect. and it shouldn't be how good it looks or whatever it should be bout how it makes you feel, and if it put you in a good mood then do it.
MonkeyPineMarten
That's Ok ! the important part is that you've found something you love, don't worry about how good you are at it, once you practice more and more you will probably find that you are improving at it, but Keep doing it if you really enjoy it!
OfTheSpotlessMind
Most of the time we are our own worst critics. I you love to do something and it makes you happy, you should stick with it.
alekplease
Hey, neither am I! But if it makes you happy, you need to keep at it. If you spend enough time, practice makes perfect, I promise. And besides, we tend to judge our own work the hardest. So try to let up on yourself. :)
LuckyDuke
Continue doing it! Everything we do is always not only a matter of ability but also a matter of know-how. You can't expect do be awesome at something without putting effort into it. Also some people are quicker learners while others might need longer but reach a higher upper limit. Do not give up to do what you love unless you stop loving it.
Anonymous
Loving something doesn't mean you must make it career. It can me your hobby. amy be you part time or leisure job.
IntuitiveDrops
This is a very good question. We often have to practice those things, even if we have a natural talent for it. If you really have the passion, you will be also willing to set yourself goals and motivations around that special talent or field of yours. However, if that really isn´t what you´re good at, don´t worry: We often have more than one talent or thing were good at. Most often, we have to simply try out new things to experience ourselves and discover new talents.
Anonymous
Then you'll just have to get better then, won't you? (; Try, and never stop trying until you've succeeded at achieving your dream. Even if you shoot for the moon and miss, you're bound to land among the stars. (;
DexterKMScobee
If you are doing your best and still loving it, then you are good at it. Don't base your levels on how others are. You're doing your best. That's what matters.
slaptaspinkis123
You have to try and try and try... How it says: practise makes it perfect! Start to believe in yourself :)
mjibarra
Your love for it will eventually push you to become better and better at it! My advice is just don't give up and stick to it! If it's what you love to do, don't give it up! :)
trisjlistens
Personally, I don't let it frustrate me. Sometimes I'm not good at something that I love so what I do is I don't show it to anyone. I'm not sure if it's a good thing but I don't see it as a responsibility to show it to anyone else---I do it for myself. So even though it's an art (for example) and it doesn't look that artsy then it's okay. At least I enjoyed doing it.
Anonymous
Just keep trying. Because you will get better.
dalya123
You are good, you can be who you want to be but it just requires patience and years of practice to be good at what you love to do